What?
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
米莎死了
Mischa's dead?
我很好奇 韦尔斯先生
I'm curious, Mr. Wells.
你只伪造画作吗
Are paintings the only thing you forge,
还是也喜欢伪造埃及古董
or do you also like to fake Egyptian antiquities?
你承认自己认识米莎·法瑞尔
You admit you knew Mischa Farrell.
我们认为你还知道她就快能证明
We think you also knew she was getting closer
你就是她称之为范·福欧的伪造者了
to proving you were the forger she called van Faux.
她认出了很多你伪造的赝品
She'd identified dozens of your fakes.
她对你来说是个威胁
She was a threat to you.
我确实知道她的研究
It's true I knew about her research
因为是她告诉我的
because she told me.
她决心要证明
She was determined to prove
我是现世最厉害的伪造者
I was the world's greatest living forger,
而且她不肯轻易罢休
and she wouldn't be dissuaded,
不管我怎么否认
no matter how much I denied it.
但我永远都不会伤害她
But I would never have harmed her.
恰恰相反 如果有人可能威胁到她
Quite the contrary-- I would have killed anybody
我甚至会杀了那个人
who I thought might be a threat to her.
你承认自己知道她想把你曝光
You admit you knew she was trying to expose you,
那我们为什么要相信你会想保护她
so why should we believe you'd want to protect her?
因为身为人父皆会如此
Because that's what fathers do.
米莎·法瑞尔是我的女儿
Mischa Farrell was my daughter.
我在纽约东村的巴斯奎特画展上
I met Mischa's mother at a Basquiat show
遇见了米莎的妈妈 当时
in the East Village. Back then, I was
我是当地一个小有名气的画家
an up-and-coming painter on the local scene.
而她是我见过的
She was the most beautiful thing
最漂亮的女人
I had ever laid eyes on, and...
我们发生了一♥夜♥情♥
we had a one-night stand.
米莎九个月后出生了
Mischa arrived nine months later.
我们调取了米莎的出生证明
We pulled Mischa's birth certificate
来验证你的说法
to check your story.
你的名字不在上面
You're not on it.
这是她妈妈的决定 我很尊重
Her mother's decision, which I respected.
但我还是想为米莎做正确的事情
But I still wanted to do right by Mischa.
所以 当残酷的现实摆在我面前
So, when it became painfully clear that I would
我发现自己永远不可能靠做合法的画家赚钱
never make a living as a legitimate artist,
我就转向了做赝品
I turned to forgery.
我用做赝品赚的钱付米莎的抚养费
I used the profits to pay Mischa's child support.
最终 她妈妈足够信任我
Eventually, her mother trusted me enough
允许我在她周末和放学后照看她
to watch her after school and weekends.
她几乎就是在我的画室长大的
She practically grew up in my studio.
这就是为什么她长大以后
And that's how, as an adult,
逐渐认出你伪造的画作
she came to recognize that your forgeries
被当做真品在流传
were being passed off as genuine old masters?
她小时候看过我画那些画
As a child, she had seen me paint them,
几个月前 她来找我对质
and a few months ago, she confronted me.
她很生气吗
She was angry?
恰恰相反
Quite the opposite.
她为我的作品而自豪
She was proud of my work.
在她眼里 我和那些我模仿的画家一样厉害
To her, I was every bit as good as the artists I imitated.
她想让我为世人所知
She wanted me to go public.
她觉得如果我和官方合作
She thought, if I cooperated with the authorities,
我就不用坐牢
I'd be spared a prison sentence.
更重要的是 我的才华
More importantly, I'd finally
终于能够得到认可
be acknowledged for my talent.
其他被认可的伪造者
Other admitted forgers have become
都成了成功的主流艺术家
successful mainstream artists, you see.
她想让我得到她认为我应该得到的荣誉
She wanted me to get the credit she thought I deserved.
但你拒绝了
But you refused?
不幸的是 她不是那种
Unfortunately, she wasn't the sort
会接受拒绝的人
to take no for an answer.
她开始着手试图证明我就是范·福欧
She set about trying to prove I was van Faux.
我尽了全力阻止她
I did everything I could to discourage her.
所以你承认她确实是个威胁
So you admit she was a threat and that you tried
而且你试图阻止她来保护自己
to shut her down to protect yourself.
我是想保护她
I tried to protect her.
很少有人明白
Few people understand how dangerous
艺术这行当可以变得多危险
the business of art can be.
罪犯 寡头 独♥裁♥者 恐♥怖♥分♥子♥
Criminals, oligarchs, despots, terrorists.
他们都会用艺术品作掩护
They all use art to move their dirty money
来转移他们手上的脏钱
from place to place.
互相交易枪♥支♥ 毒品和赃物
Pay each other for guns, drugs, stolen goods.
如果米莎曝光了你
If Mischa had exposed you,
拥有你伪造品的收藏家
the collectors who own your forgeries
会损失上百万
would have lost millions.
也许他们其中的一个发现了她想做什么
Maybe one of them realized what she was trying to do,
所以杀了她封口
had her killed to keep her quiet.
我没有和那些
I don't deal directly
在艺术界阴影下徘徊的禽兽们
with any of the monsters who lurk
做过直接的交易
in the art world shadows.
但是我听说过很多人
But I know many by reputation.
也许 如果你们告诉我更多她死亡的细节
Perhaps, if you tell me more about her death,
我或许能提供些线索
I might be able to shed some light.
杀死她的是一种叫做寇派斯弯刀的武器
Well, she was killed with a weapon called a khopesh.
当我们找到她尸体的时候
When we found her body,
有人正想把她制♥作♥成
someone was trying to turn it into a replica
一个古代木乃伊
of an ancient mummy.
我们认为犯下这个罪行的人
The person we believe is responsible
是个被称为底比斯人的伪造者
is a forger known only as The Theban.
我听说过他
I've heard of him.
他伪造地中海东部的文物
He forges Levantine antiquities.
抹大拉的马利亚的棺材 阿赫那吞纸莎草
The coffin of Mary Magdalene, the Akhenaten Papyrus,
金牛犊的头
head of the Golden Calf.
都是他的手笔
Those were all him.
你知道他的真名吗
Do you know his real name?
没人知道
No one does.
但有一件事
But there is one thing, however,
底比斯人和其他伪造者有所不同
that sets The Theban apart from other forgers.
根据传言 他有一种特殊方法
According to rumor, he has a way
能欺骗碳14年代测定
to fool carbon-14 dating.
他以此来让他的作品看起来符合年代
It's how he makes his work seem suitably ancient.
如果你能查出
If you can figure out
他是怎么做到的 也许能顺着找到他
how he does that, it might lead you to him.
胡扯
Rubbish.
没有办法能够伪造碳同位素年代鉴定
There's just no way to fake radio carbon dating.
这测试是基于放射衰变率
The test measures the age of an object
来测定物体的年龄
based on the rate of radioactive decay.
你不可能加快衰变率
You can't speed that rate up.
如果可以 切诺贝利和福岛
If you could, Chernobyl and Fukushima
一晚上就能清理干净了
would've been cleaned up over night.
话虽如此
That being said,
很显然韦尔斯认为
it was clear that Mr. Wells thought
他所说的是真的
what he was saying to be true.
所以我联络了一些艺术界的联♥系♥人
So I reached out to some contacts in the art world,
其中有一些人听说过同样的传言
and a few of them had heard the same rumors.
说底比斯人有办法骗过测试
That The Theban could somehow fool the test.
于是我们猜测 如果这个传言
Which made us wonder-- what if the rumors
是底比斯人自己放出来的呢
were started by The Theban himself?
换句话说 如果他是在
In other words, what if he was
传播某种荒谬的故事
propagating some nonsensical story
以此来隐藏背后他真正用来
in order to hide the truth about how he
饶过验证的办法呢
was circumventing authentication?
他或许不能够扭曲
He might not be able to bend
物理的法则
the rules of physics,
但他可以让使用它的人妥协
but he could compromise the person who's applying them.
你认为他贿赂了鉴定者
You think he uses a crooked authenticator?
我们调查了几个已知
We looked into the few known forgeries
和底比斯人有过接触的伪造品
that had been connected to The Theban.
特别是贾斯帕提到过的那三个
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表