而是一场破坏
it was a demolition.
反正是试图破坏
Well, an attempted one, anyway.
我觉得已经成功了
Well, it looks like it worked, to me.
只是暂时的
Only temporarily.
什么意思
What do you mean?
闻到这个味道了吗
The smell. Hmm?
在二战期间
During the Second World War,
英国发明了一种方法
my countrymen developed a method
来恢复被炸毁的敌人基地内
to restore burnt documents recovered
被破坏的文件
from bombed out enemy bases.
首先需要浓度25%的水合氯醛
It begins with a 25% solution of chloral hydrate.
好吧 我不管那是什么
Okay-- well, I don't care what it is,
我就是 我不想再闻到这个味道了
I just... I want it to stop.
你真觉得研究一堆被烧毁的文件
I mean, you really think reading a bunch of burnt documents
对破案会有帮助
is gonna help?
它已经发挥作用了
Oh, it already has.
我现在已经非常明确
I now have a very good idea
谁杀了乔治·尼克斯
who killed George Nix.
以及为什么了
And why.
你认为乔治·尼克斯被杀和他的房♥子被烧毁
You think George Nix was killed and his house got burned down
是因为凶手想毁掉一些签名
because the killer wanted to destroy some autographs?
那是保险箱里仅有的东西
That's all that was in the safe,
而保险箱看起来是真正的目标
and the safe seems to have been the real target.
这些签名有什么特殊的
What's so special about these autographs?
它们属于巴顿·格威内特
They're Button Gwinnetts.
巴顿·格威内特是谁
But who the hell is Button Gwinnett?
听起来像是儿童书里的人物
It sounds like something out of a kid's book?
巴顿·格威内特是乔治亚殖民地的临时总统
Button Gwinnett was the provisional president
同时他还是《独♥立♥宣言》的
of colonial Georgia, and he was one of the signers
其中一个签署者
of the Declaration of Independence.
而且他的签名是世界上最有价值的
He also happens to have the most valuable signature on Earth.
一个我从来没听说过的人
Some guy I've never even heard of
有着世界上最有价值的签名
has the most valuable signature on Earth?
上一个格威内特签名
The last Gwinnett sold at auction
拍卖♥♥了80万美元
went for $800,000.
一共有56个人签署了《独♥立♥宣言》
56 men signed the Declaration of Independence.
完整的一套签名
The complete set of their signatures is the holy grail
是签名收藏者的圣物
for autograph hounds.
这其中格威内特的签名是最稀少的
Gwinnett's is the rarest of the bunch.
他鲜为人知 且在战后不久就去世了
He was fairly obscure, died shortly after the war.
目前被鉴定为格威内特的签名只有51枚
There are only 51 authenticated Gwinnett signatures.
所以它们才这么有价值
That's why they're worth so much.
比丘吉尔 贝多芬
More valuable than Churchill, Beethoven.
甚至比莎士比亚的签名都更有价值
Even Shakespeare.
乔治·尼克斯投保的保险公♥司♥的火灾调查员
The fire loss investigator from George Nix's insurance company
给了我们一份房♥子被烧时
sent us a list of all the insured artifacts
屋内已经投保的物品清单
that were inside the house when it burned down.
没有跟巴顿·格威内特有关的东西
There wasn't anything about Button Gwinnett.
我们认为乔治想通过操纵市场
We think that George is making a run
来用这些签名赚一大笔钱
on cornering the market for these autographs.
如果我们是对的 他不会想让任何人知道
If we're right, he would not have wanted anyone to know.
如果知道有人想买♥♥ 卖♥♥家会提高商品的价格
Sellers would jack up the prices on any he'd want to buy.
鉴于一枚真正的格威内特签名的稀有性
Given the rarity of a genuine Gwinnett,
他收藏的一些签名有很大可能是非法获得的
it's quite possible that some of the signatures in his trove
也就意味着不能投保
were ill-gotten and, thus, uninsurable.
假设你是对的
Well, let's say you're right.
都是为了这些签名
That this was all about these signatures.
为什么要烧了它们
Why burn them up?
如果它们这么有价值
If they're so valuable,
很难理解为什么要毁了它们
it doesn't make any sense to destroy them.
你说的对 确实难以理解
You're right, it does not.
除非你自己也有同样的藏品
Unless of course, you've already got a few of your own.
我想先说清楚
I want to make it clear right up front:
我的客户 钱伯斯先生没有法律义务
my client, Mr. Chambers, has no legal obligation
来这里 如果可以的话
to be here. If, at any point,
我希望这次询问能够很快结束
I deem it appropriate to cut this interview short,
我认为实际情况也应如此
that is exactly what will happen.
好了 我替大卫道歉
Okay. I apologize for David.
我在艺术领域发家
I made my money dealing in art.
艺术领域是互相残杀的战场
It's dog-eat-dog,
所以我倾向于挑选
so I've always chosen my attorneys
脾气火爆的律师
for their pugnaciousness.
事实上 这对我来说反而是好事
Truth is, it's-- oh, it's a treat,
能够来到著名的11分局
being inside the famous 11th precinct.
这栋建筑建于1907年
You know, this structure dates back to 1907.
也许你会更欣赏楼下的拘留室
Perhaps you'd enjoy the holding cell downstairs.
那是原始建筑
It's original to the building.
为什么找我们 警探
Why are we here, Detective?
一个名叫乔治·尼克斯的人
A man named George Nix
两天前在一场战争重演中被枪杀了
was gunned down during a battle reenactment two days ago.
我的这一天真是越来越有趣了
Well, my day just got a lot more interesting.
你们指控我谋杀
You're accusing me of murder?
还有纵火
And arson.
乔治遇害几小时后 他的房♥子被烧毁了
George's house was torched a few hours after he was killed.
而你们认为钱伯斯先生跟这件事有关 为什么
And you imagine Mr. Chambers was involved, why?
我们有理由认为当尼克斯先生被杀时
We have reason to believe he was on the battlefield
他也在那片战场上
when Mr. Nix was shot.
-有什么证据 -我确实在
- Based on what? - u202dWell, I was.
我绝不会错过任何一场战争
I never miss a battle.
隆重的仪式 精致的细节
Oh, the pageantry, the devotion to detail.
总是让人兴奋
Oh, it's just... always a thrill.
当然 我不是唯一一个有这种感觉的人
Of course, I'm not the only one that feels that way.
那里有数百名拿着枪的扮演者
There were hundreds of gun-toting reenactors there.
确实 但其他人可没有世界第二的
Yes, but none of them own the second-largest collection
巴顿·格威内特签名的收藏量
of Button Gwinnett signatures in the world.
你有
You do. u202d
随着乔治的收藏灰飞烟灭
Your collection tripled in value when George's Gwinnetts
你的藏品价值翻了三倍
went up in flames.
那是我最不想看到的
Oh, that is the last thing I wanted.
怎么说
Explain that.
我当时正在进行谈判
I was negotiating
准备购买♥♥你声称是我毁掉的收藏品
to buy the trove you say I destroyed.
多年来我一直想把乔治的格威内特签名拿到手
I'd been trying to acquire George's Gwinnetts for years.
但他一直都拒绝我
He always turned me down.
但那个健身店老板开始起诉他之后就不一样了
But that was before his, uh, gym franchisees started suing him.
他上个月打电♥话♥给我
He called me last month
问我是否还有兴趣
and asked if I was still interested
接手他收藏的签名
in taking his collection off his hands.
就算你说的是真的
Well, even if that's true,
你们很明显没有达成协议
you obviously never came to terms,
要不然房♥子被烧毁时 那些协议
or they wouldn't have been in his safe
应该在他的保险箱里
when his house burned down.
目前 你让我确信了两件事
So far, you've convinced me of two things:
第一 你知道他秘密收藏了
one, you knew about his
巴顿·格威内特的签名
secret collection of Button Gwinnetts,
第二 你特别重视自己手上的签名
and secondly, you value your own very highly.
这两点都极度符合
Both of those things are entirely consistent
他们对你作案动机的分♥析♥
with the motive they're ascribing to you.
我再解释一下
Let me explain something.
就算乔治告诉我他不愿意卖♥♥
Even if George told me that he wouldn't sell,
我也绝不会毁掉珍贵的历史文件
I would never wipe out historical documents.
不管这涉及多少钱 绝对不会
I don't care how much money we're talking about. Never.
乔治收藏品中的文件
Now, the documents in George's collection help
记录了美国的历史
tell the story of America.
记录了这块土地及其人♥民♥的历史
Helped shape the land and its people.
在我看来 这些文件是神圣的文物
They're sacred relics as far as I'm concerned.
你们可以采集我的指纹
Now, you-you can have my fingerprints,
我的DNA 随便你们
my DNA, whatever you want.
你们会发现
You'll see.
我非常清白
I'm quite innocent.
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表