戴维斯·波特车♥库♥里停着的那辆吗
that was in Davis Potter's garage this afternoon?
你了解我的 华生 我手有粘性
You know me, Watson; sticky fingers.
-为什么 -当我发现波特先生文件柜里
- Why... - When the contents of Mr. Potter's filing cabinet
没什么有价值的文件后
proved disappointing,
我忍♥不住仔细端详了一下他这台帅呆的摩托
I couldn't help but look over his beautiful motorcycle.
我本来只是想欣赏一下
I only meant to admire it,
所以你应该能想象到我在鞍袋里
so imagine my surprise
发现这个时 有多吃惊
when I found this in the saddlebag.
这是本里程记录日志
It's a mileage log.
你可能不知道
As you may or may not be aware,
古董车辆收藏者们
antique vehicle owners
通常会记录他们的里程数
often keep records of their trips
以此来确保他们的爱车
so they can ensure that maintenance
按照恰当的周期进行保养
is performed at proper intervals.
如果你看一下最近一条记录
If you look at the most recent entry,
你就会发现波特先生
you'll see that Mr. Potter
在布奇和杰瑞德被害同一天
logged a trip of 580 miles the same day
记录了一趟930多公里的旅程
that Butch Callahan and Jared Talt were murdered.
他跟我和警长说他那天没离开过家
Well, he told me and the captain that he never left the house.
他撒谎了 可能是因为他不想
He lied. Presumably because he doesn't want
让警♥察♥知道他去了哪里
the police to know where he'd been.
这上面没写目的地 只有里程数
Well, there are no destinations in here, only mileages.
所以我把这台摩托车"借"了回来
Hence my borrowing of the motorcycle.
我想知道他那天去了什么地方
I wanted to know where he'd been that day.
我这几个小时一直在检查这辆车
I've been examining it for the last few hours,
并且发现了两处线索
and I've found exactly two clues.
首先 对轮胎胎面上的泥土
First, a geological analysis of the sediment
进行的地质分♥析♥显示
in the tire tread has yielded,
除了一些常见的矿物元素以外
amongst other, more common minerals,
有一些混合岩 白粒岩和二长岩的痕迹
traces of migmatite, granulite and monzonite.
其次
Secondly...
这个卡在了空滤里面
this was trapped in the air filter.
一片昆虫的翅膀
An insect wing.
一片属于北方蛇尾蜻蜓的翅膀
From a Boreal Snaketail dragonfly.
那么仅凭一片蜻蜓翅膀
So how do a dragonfly wing
和一些奇怪的矿物质要如何找出
and some strange minerals tell us
戴维斯·波特骑着这辆摩托车去了哪里呢
where Davis Potter drove his motorcycle?
如果波特先生记录了一趟930多公里的旅程
If Mr. Potter logged a trip of 580 miles,
那么他往任何一个方向能行进的最远距离
the very furthest he could've driven
就是他所记录的旅程的一半
in any one direction is half that amount.
460多公里
290 miles.
这个红圈的半径就是
The radius of this red circle
刚刚说到的这个距离
is exactly that distance.
所以戴维斯去了这个红圈内的某个地点
So Davis went to a point somewhere inside it.
这个圈内唯一沉积有混合岩
The only area in there with deposits of migmatite,
白粒岩和二长岩并同时记录有
granulite and monzonite and a documented population
北方蛇尾蜻蜓种群活动的区域
of the Boreal Snaketail dragonfly
是这里的一片森林
is a stretch of forest here,
就在普莱西德湖的西南面
just southwest of Lake Placid.
可惜的是 这片区域占地50多平方公里
Unfortunately, it has an area of 20 square miles,
要解答我们的疑问 范围实在太大了
too large to suggest a specific answer to our query,
但也算是个开始了 另外 你妈妈还好吗
but it's a start. How's your mother, by the way?
她没事
She's fine.
谢谢 等一下
Thanks. Wait a minute.
戴维斯说他和杰瑞德
Davis said that he and Jared
在离普莱西德湖很近的地方有一处地♥产♥
owned property a stone's throw from Lake Placid.
他肯定是去了那里
So that must've been where he went.
但他为什么要跟我们撒谎呢
But why would he lie to us about it?
我知道有个办法能找出答案
I know a way to find out.
我一路走到了这处地♥产♥的东部边界
So, I walked all the way to the eastern edge of the property,
什么都没找到
and I did not find a thing.
没有尸体
No dead bodies,
也没有秘密藏身处
no secret hideouts,
也没有冒着烟的怪物
no smoke monster.
倒是有很多土
There's plenty of mud, though.
我希望 为了杰瑞德好
I hope, for Jared's sake,
他不是在这样潮湿的泥土上被杀害的
that he wasn't killed over just some wet dirt.
你有什么发现
What about you?
你是怎么让自己仍然这么整洁的
How'd you manage to stay so clean?
我根本没离开这里啊
I never left this spot.
你在开玩笑吧
You're joking.
我们应该分头查看这片区域的
We were supposed to split up.
-你真的一直坐在这里没动吗 -是啊
- Have you seriously been sitting there the whole time? - Yeah.
但是 看看我 看看我的衣服
But... look at me. Look at my clothes.
我在那边还看到了一头该死的熊
I saw a freakin' bear out there.
你还有没有看到这样的植物呢
Did you also see plants such as these?
有啊 这是西洋参 到处都是 怎么了
Yeah, they're ginseng plants. They're everywhere. So?
它们不仅仅是西洋参
They're not just ginseng plants.
它们是老龄西洋参
They're old-growth ginseng plants.
我估计这样的根系
I think this root system
应该有10到15年的参龄
is somewhere between ten and 15 years old.
你知道参龄这么长的西洋参有多罕见吗
Have you any idea how rare old-growth ginseng is?
我知道这样的参很贵
I mean, I know it's expensive.
差不多1400美元一磅
Try $1,400 a pound.
视线所及之处都是这种西洋参
There are plants as far as the eye can see.
我等你回来的时候
While I awaited your return,
粗略估算了一下
I did my sums.
老龄西洋参现在的市场价值
The current value of old-growth ginseng
乘以这处地♥产♥的面♥积♥
times the square footage of this property
再减去被其他可见植物群占据的面♥积♥
minus the areas occupied by other visible flora...
戴维斯·波特告诉你这处地♥产♥一文不值
Davis Potter told you this property was worthless.
而我估计它的价值大概在
I'd estimate its value to be somewhere in neighborhood of...
两千万美元左右
$20 million?
这是某种玩笑吗
Is this some kind of a joke?
我为什么想要杰瑞德死
Why would I want Jared dead?
他可是我最好的朋友
The guy was my best friend.
曾经是你的朋友
Was your friend,
直到你雇凶杀了他
until you paid to have him killed.
我为什么那这么做
Why would I do that?
杰瑞德死了的话 会毁了我的
Jared dying... it's going to ruin me.
确实 但不是你所指的那种方式
That's true, but not in the way that you mean.
要把杰瑞德那份债务一起还上可不是笔小钱
Taking on Jared's share of your debt wouldn't have been cheap,
但这跟将要全部归到你名下的那处
but it would've paled in comparison to what you'd get
最值钱的地♥产♥相比就小巫见大巫了
as the sole owner of your most valuable property.
哪一处
Which one?
是我们那杂草丛生的迷你高尔夫球场
Our overgrown Putt-Putt golf course
还是我们装满防火布的废弃仓库
or our condemned warehouse full of asbestos?
杰拉德遇害那天你去过的那处房♥产呢
What about the property you visited the day Jared was killed?
普莱西德湖边你的累赘
Your white elephant near Lake Placid?
我们知道那里遍地都是老龄西洋参
We know it's covered in old-growth ginseng.
老龄什么
Wh... old-growth what?
别装了
Don't.
我们给全国的人参贩子打了电♥话♥
We made calls to ginseng dealers all over the state.
找到一个
We found one,
名叫吴翔
named Xiang Wu,
他说他在房♥产那跟你见过几次
who said he'd met you at the property several times.
你知道它的价值
You know how much it's worth.
然而吴先生
Mr. Wu, however,
并不知道你是和一个同伴一起拥有这块地的
was unaware that you owned the property with a partner.
他说他一直只跟你一个人谈判
He says he's been negotiating with you and you alone.
杰拉德的妻子告诉我们
Jared's wife told us
有一块地你坚决不肯脱手
there was one property you absolutely refused to unload.
我们猜就是这里
We're guessing this is the one.
瞧 他压根不知道人参的事
See, he didn't know anything about the ginseng,
所以当他催你把这块地打折出♥售♥时
so when he pressured you to sell the place at a discount,
你做了决定
you made a decision.
得让他走
He had to go.
好
Okay.
好 也许我想挤出杰拉德的份额
Okay, maybe I was thinking of screwing Jared out of his share,
可我不是凶手
but I'm not a killer.
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表