这种事不是没有发生过
It's not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before.
同样的问题还出现在马萨诸塞州
They've had the same problem in Massachusetts,
北卡罗莱纳州 甚至是联调局实验室
North Carolina; even the FBI's lab
过去二十多年也有数以千计的
has made thousands of questionable hair matches
有问题的头发匹配
over the last 20 years, including 32
包括32起死刑案
in death penalty cases.
有时是没经验
Sometimes it's inexperience.
有时是不称职
Sometimes it's just incompetence,
可你 你是主管
but you-- you're a supervisor.
我想你知道你在干什么
I think you know what you're doing.
所以也许你是被 渴望做重要角色
So perhaps you're just driven by a desire to feel important,
渴望当英雄 渴望做关键证人所驱动
to be the hero, to be the key witness
把坏人关起来 我说得对吗
putting bad guys away-- am I right?
我名声在外
I have an excellent reputation.
随便去问谁 我是执法机构的资产
Ask anyone-- I am an asset to law enforcement.
是的 可你不该当一个资产 不是吗
Yes, but you're not supposed to be an asset, are you?
你该做一名科学家
You're supposed to be a scientist.
你应该做追求真理的中立者
You're supposed to be an impartial seeker of truth.
可你不是 你是个江湖骗子
But you're not, you're a charlatan!
而你已经至少害一名无辜的人进了监狱
And you've sent at least one innocent man to prison--
路易斯·鲍曼
Louis Bowman!
我坚持我的工作结果
I stand by my work.
那你不会介意我们在另一家机构
Then you won't mind if we retest
重新检测菲比·埃利奥特案件的
all the evidence in the Phoebe Elliot case
全部证据吧
at another facility?
因为如果我们是对的
Because if we're right about what's going on here,
最有动机杀她的人就是你
the person who had the best motive to kill her was you.
你们是警方
You're police.
你们知道是怎么办事的
You know how things work.
大多数案子 甚至是高度侧写的案子
In most cases, even high profile ones,
警探会找出是谁做的
detectives figure out who did it
通过跟正确的人谈话 相信他们的直觉
by talking to the right people, following their gut.
真正难的是找证据证明
It's finding proof that's tough.
之前可以通过证人证词
You used to be able to get convictions
或者间接证据来定罪
with witness statements or circumstantial evidence,
可现在
but these days
陪审团想要点实际的东西
juries want something physical.
他们要DNA
They want DNA.
而你就提供给他们
And you give it to them.
我是你们这边的
I'm on your side.
你知道DNA比人们想的
You know that DNA can be more subjective
更主观
than people think.
很难找到一个不被污染的样本
It can be hard to find an uncontaminated sample.
结论可能是不确定的
The results can be inconclusive.
当警♥察♥确定凶手
So when the police are sure who did it,
但证据不清晰的时候
but the tests aren't clear,
我会给执法机构怀疑的理由
I give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt.
你陷害别人
You frame people.
你从内部败坏司法程序
You corrupt the justice process from the inside.
我帮助定罪
I help get convictions.
因为你 路易斯·鲍曼被判终生监禁
Louis Bowman got a life sentence thanks to you.
但是越来越像是
Only it's looking more and more
他三年前没有杀玛丽萨·凯根
like he didn't kill Marissa Kagan three years ago.
我们认为当菲比·埃利奥特发现
We think that when Phoebe Elliot realized she had
她有可以证明他无罪的照片时
a picture that could exonerate him,
她告诉了某个人
she told someone.
也许是你
Maybe it was you.
也许是检测DNA
Maybe it was the lab to confirm
是否准确的实验室
whether the DNA was accurate.
如果是这样
If that was the case,
你意识到了危险
you would've realized how much was at stake.
一次审核就会暴露我们发现的模式
An audit would uncover the same pattern that we found.
你面临进监狱的危险
You were in danger of going to jail.
同时你帮助定罪的所有案件
And having every conviction
都要被推♥翻♥重来
that you'd engineered overturned.
杀了菲比可以防止那些事情发生
Killing Phoebe would stop that from happening.
我说过了 不是我做的
I told you I didn't do that.
我都没见过这个女人
I never even met the woman.
菲比在布朗克斯区被杀
Phoebe was shot in the Bronx.
但凶手却把满是证据的车
But her killer drove a car
开到了布里奇波特
full of evidence all the way to Bridgeport.
这么做的唯一理由
And the only reason to do that
就是确保这辆车会在康涅狄格州法医实验室
was to make sure that that car was processed
你的实验室被检测
at the Connecticut forensics lab-- your lab--
这样你就可以陷害你想陷害的人
where you could implicate whoever you wanted.
菲比的兄弟就是最好的人选
Phoebe's brother was the lowest hanging fruit.
你说过好的警♥察♥工作
You said yourself good police work
总会揭示凶手
usually reveals the killer.
这样看来 你有动机也有手段
In this case, you have means and motive.
除非你能提供不在场证明
And unless you can provide us with an alibi,
否则你也有作案的时机
you also have opportunity.
那天晚上我独自在家
I was home alone that night.
但我能证明我没有杀她
But I can prove I didn't kill her.
你们可以在你们自己的实验室重新检测
Recheck the DNA evidence from the stolen car
被偷的车里的DNA证据
in your own lab.
或者在私人实验室
Or a private lab.
或者任何实验室
Or any lab you want.
你们会看到 车里并没有我的DNA
You'll see that none of it belongs to me.
那又能证明什么
What would that prove?
你是专家
You're an expert.
你可以移除自己的DNA
You could've removed your DNA.
或者穿戴防护服来确保
Or worn protective gear to make sure
车里不会有你的DNA
it never ended up in that car in the first place.
确实 我能把所有证据从车里移除
I could've removed all the DNA from that car, sure.
但只移除我自己的 可不是个简单的事
But to remove only my own, that would be a neat trick.
至于防护服
As far as protective gear goes,
为什么我要冒着可能会被警♥察♥叫住的风险
why would I risk getting pulled over
穿着防护服开车到处逛
for driving around in a Hazmat suit?
用你们的说法
In your version of the story,
我知道会是我检测证据
I knew that I'd be processing the evidence,
所以我无需从车里移除我自己的DNA
so I wouldn't have needed to keep my DNA out of the car,
因为我肯定不会上报证据跟我自己吻合
because I never would've reported a match to myself.
对吧
Right?
我没有杀任何人
I didn't kill anyone.
你们可以去检测
Do the tests.
好好检测
Do them right.
你们会发现我是无辜的
You'll see I'm innocent.
她提交的每一份证据
Every piece of evidence she ever handled,
她签名的每一份实验室报告
every lab report with her name on it,
都要被重新检查
it's all got to be reexamined,
这意味着康涅狄格州
which means hundreds of cases
将有无数的案子要重新审理
getting reopened in Connecticut.
同时 我们有自己的问题
Of course, in the meantime, we got our own problems.
我不认为是她杀了菲比·埃利奥特
I'm not convinced that she killed Phoebe Elliot.
我也是
Nor am I.
真是讽刺
You have to appreciate the irony.
如果有人想要默卡多女士检测证据
Were someone like Ms. Mercado to process the evidence
他们会很愿意提供
they would happily provide
定罪需要的假证据
the false match needed for a conviction,
但一个诚实的检测就会让她无罪
but an honest test would likely exonerate her.
但是杀了菲比的人肯定知道她 对吧
Still, whoever killed Phoebe had to have known about her, right?
否则他们为什么要把车开到康涅狄格州
Why else would they drive the car all the way to Connecticut?
他们想让她做她之前做过的事
They were counting on her doing what she did.
他们知道无论检测结果是什么
They knew that no matter what the test revealed,
她的报告会肯定警♥察♥的初步怀疑
her report would confirm the police's initial suspect.
她按照需要去提交证据
Her ability to produce evidence on demand
整个康涅狄格州的刑事司法系统
can't have gone completely unnoticed
不可能没人知道
by Connecticut's entire criminal justice system.
这说明我们要找的人
Which means we're probably
可能是执法机构里的人
looking for someone in law enforcement.
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表