because once you pay for it, it's yours, warts and all.
房♥子的所有者
The building owner.
那个急于填补埃迪挖出的洞的人
The one who was in a hurry to fill in the hole that Eddie Ross dug.
也许不仅因为那洞有碍观瞻
Maybe that's not just because it's an eyesore.
布莱斯先生 昨天我和华生小姐拜访你时
Mr. Brice, when Ms. Watson and I visited you in your office yesterday,
我们问你是否听说过埃迪·罗斯
we asked you if you'd ever heard of Eddie Ross.
你说没有
You told us you hadn't.
但我们又回来跟你的秘书伊莱恩
Thing is, we went back and had a longer conversation
长谈了一次
with your secretary Elaine.
你该知道 她对你非常忠诚
You should know, she's very loyal to you.
她一开始坚称什么都不知道
She started out insisting she didn't remember anything.
等我们指出
Once we pointed out to her
她可能会因妨碍司法而进监狱
that she could go to prison for hindering prosecution,
她就什么都想起来了
her memory cleared up.
她说埃迪去过你办公室两次
She said that Eddie came to your office twice.
第一次是两周前
The first time was about two weeks ago.
据伊莱恩说
According to Elaine,
他向你征求许可在你房♥子后面挖东西
he asked your permission to dig behind your building.
你的监管员说他声称是为市政♥府♥工作的
Your super said he claimed to work for the city,
所以我们猜你当时拒绝了
so we're guessing you said no.
伊莱恩是个可爱的女人 但她明显搞错了
Elaine is a sweet woman, but she's obviously mistaken.
我完全不记得有这种事
I don't recall any of this.
所以一切最多就只能是
Which makes all of it
他说了什么 她又说了什么
"He-said, she-said" At best.
我听着倒像是你们强行逼了供
Sounds to me like you coerced a statement.
咱们看法官会不会认同吧
We'll see if a judge agrees.
你不记得也可以理解
Well, it's understandable you don't remember.
你是个大忙人
You're a busy man.
而埃迪·罗斯搜集废弃电玩的事
And Eddie Ross's hunt for discarded video games
在你的待办清单上应该排名很低吧
probably ranks quite low on your list of priorities.
但我们猜想他的第二次到访给
But we imagine his second visit
给你留下了更加难以磨灭的印象吧
left a more lasting impression.
你的秘书只告诉我们
The only thing that your secretary could tell us about it
你迅速把艾迪拉进去并关上了门
was that you quickly pulled Eddie behind closed doors.
你看 我们认为他找你
See, we think he'd approached you
是带着他找到的证据
with evidence of what he'd found.
带有有毒废物的化学桶
Chemical drums that contained toxic waste.
他有鉴别出那些桶的专业知识
He had the expertise to identify the drums.
也有能检测土壤的设备
He had the equipment to test the soil.
他一定明白了他发现了什么
He almost certainly understood what he had found
而对你来说可是节外生枝
and its ramifications to you.
也许他带着善意找到了你
Now, perhaps he came to you in good faith,
想给你一个弥补的机会
to give you a chance to remedy the situation,
也可能他提议会忘了他看到的一切
or perhaps he offered to forget what he had seen
以换取一大笔奖金
in exchange for a tidy sum.
不管怎样 你落实了第三种选项
Either way, you settled on a third option.
我做了些研究
I did some research.
结果发现你的楼已经跟周围一排产业一起
It turns out your building is in escrow,
由第三方暂管了
along with a row of adjacent properties.
你还有15天左右
You're about 15 days away
就要敲定一笔千万美元的买♥♥卖♥♥了
from closing on a ten-million-dollar sale.
有毒废物可能会毁了一切
Toxic waste would have been a deal killer.
你的所有钱都会打水漂
You'd be out all that money, not to mention
更别提还会面临所有房♥客的诸多指控
facing lawsuits from all of your tenants.
直接摆脱埃迪·罗斯可容易多了
Much easier to just get rid of Eddie Ross.
对吗
Right?
布劳尔化工 他们买♥♥下了处理废物的公♥司♥
Brower Chemical, the company that bought the company
他们可非常合作呢
that did the dumping, has been cooperating fully.
通过他们的记录
Using their records,
我们弄清了那个垃圾堆里
we've been able to figure out exactly
到底掩埋了多少废物桶
how many drums of waste were buried at that landfill.
今天下午我们执行了对你产业的搜查
We executed a search warrant on your property this afternoon,
用的切土雷达
using ground-penetrating radar.
你猜怎么着
And guess what?
你少了两个桶
You're two drums short.
很明显就是埃迪在挖掘时
Obviously, they're the two drums
发现的那两个
that Eddie uncovered when he was digging.
那么除了你 还有谁有理由去转移它们呢
So, who aside from you, would have had reason to move them?
我想跟我的律师单独待一会
I'd like a moment alone with my attorney.
你不会是想读唇语吧
You're not even gonna try to read lips.
他们背对着我们呢
Their backs are to us.
以前可没阻碍过你
Well, it's never stopped you before.
互助会怎么样
Oh, how was the meeting?
阿弗雷多来褐石屋那天
When Alfredo came to the brownstone the other day,
你确定他说 我上周没去参加
you're certain that he said I hadn't been to
圣卢克教区的任何互助会吗
any of the meetings at St. Luke's last week?
对
Yes.
他原话就是这么说的吗
And those were his exact words?
对 怎么了
Yes. Why?
我当事人的证词
My client's statement.
他承认转移了那些桶
He admits to having removed the drums.
他正准备跟买♥♥家们解释
He was just getting around
好让他们知情
to letting the buyer know about them.
交易可能会落空 你是对的
The sale will probably fall through, and you're right--
他可能会面临一些民事投诉
he'll probably face some civil complaints--
但他不会面临谋杀罪的指控
but what he won't be facing is a murder charge.
你怎么知道
How do you figure that?
你的当事人还没解释
Your client still hasn't accounted
他三晚前的行踪
for his whereabouts three nights ago.
这是霍博肯市
There's the name and address
一个车♥库♥的名称和地址
of a garage out in Hoboken.
我当事人的公♥司♥在那边存了辆货车
My client's company keeps a truck there.
我相信他们有监控
I'm sure they have security cameras.
我建议你们看看那晚凌晨一点左右的画面
I'd recommend you review the footage 1:00 a.M. That night.
应该能解答你们的所有疑问
Should answer all your questions.
跟他在证词里写的一样
Just like he wrote in his statement.
他雇了那些工人转移化学桶
He hired those workers to move the drums,
并让他们用了自己公♥司♥的卡车
and he let them use his company's truck to do it.
而这跟埃迪·罗斯家着火
And he did it at the same time
是在同一时间
the fire broke out at Eddie Ross's place.
不太光彩 但的确是不在场证明
A despicable alibi, but an alibi nonetheless.
邓肯·布莱斯不是凶手
Duncan Brice is not our killer.
你干什么呢
What are you doing?
我在惩罚我的大脑
I'm punishing my brain.
你大脑做什么了要受罚
And what did your brain do to deserve punishment?
应该问它该做什么而没做
It's what it didn't do.
我们知道邓肯·布莱斯是个可恶的人
We know that Duncan Brice is an abhorrent human being
他宁愿把有毒废物的证据藏起来
who'd rather hide evidence of toxic waste
也不愿保护他的房♥客
than protect his tenants.
他也无疑是埃迪·罗斯之死的幕后主使
And he's almost certainly behind the death of Eddie Ross.
对 他有同谋 那人在邓肯处理桶的时候
Right. He had an accomplice-- someone who went to kill Eddie
杀了埃迪·罗斯
while Duncan dealt with the drums.
所以我们才要待在各自的房♥间
That's why we went to separate quarters--
好弄清到底是谁 对吗
to try and figure out who it was, right?
我已经花了几小时来梳理这人的人生
I've been pouring through the man's life for hours now,
想找出某个他可能找来执行这种任务的人
trying to find someone he would plausibly approach for such a task,
毫无线索
and I have nothing to show for it.
你的大脑进展如何了
How fares your brain?
事实上 它觉得它有些发现了
Actually, it thinks it found something.
四年前 有一场大火烧毁了
Four years ago, there was a fire that gutted a building
邓肯·布莱斯拥有的一栋楼
owned by Duncan Brice.
最后被判为意外 不过
It was ruled accidental, but...
大火烧毁曼哈顿办公大楼
那楼是享有充分保险的
the building was well-insured.
保额高达百万
They payout was in the millions.
你是说有人故意放火的
You're suggesting this fire was set deliberately?
这不会是第一次
It wouldn't be the first time
有像布莱斯那样的人利用保险来融♥资♥重建
someone like Brice used insurance to finance a rebuild.
先假设我是对的吧
Let's say I'm right.
四年前 他雇了个纵火犯
Four years ago, he hires an arsonist.
后来 三晚前
Then, three nights ago,
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表