那句话总是毫无上下文地被人引用
That comment is constantly taken out of context.
我们想听听真正的上下文是什么
We'd be eager to hear an example of the right context.
侵权法不是我发明的
I didn't invent tort law, okay?
我们根据死者未来可能赚到的钱
We base compensation, in part,
来计算赔偿金
on the lost future earnings of the decedent.
那这件案子也许就是正确的上下文
Then this murder might be the right context.
凶手用你的规则计算了亨利·威赛克的价值
Our killer used your principles to determine Henry Wilseck's worth
然后留下了这么多钱来换他的命
and then left that amount in exchange for his life.
你觉得这是公平交换
Fair swap, in your eyes?
有什么不对吗
Anything wrong with that?
当然不对
Of course there is.
你们说的那个人开了一枪
The person you're talking about fired a gun,
明知道那会置人于死地
knowing it would cause a man's death.
这是谋杀 他们应该受到惩罚
It's murder; they should be punished.
这样说的话 你的很多客户都该进监狱
By that measure, many of your clients should be behind bars,
不是吗
should they not?
也许这位凶手先注册家公♥司♥就不会了
Perhaps if our killer had incorporated first...
杀死亨利·威赛克的人想把矛头指向你
Whoever shot Henry Wilseck wanted to make it about you.
我们想知道你是否知道谁会这么干 以及原因
We want to know if you know anyone who would do that, and why.
你是在问有没有人讨厌我吗
You're asking if anyone hates me?
从这家伙开始队伍可长了
The line forms behind this guy.
有没有什么特别的人想给你制♥造♥麻烦
Well, anyone in particular have reason to cause you trouble?
除了我们这位同事
Aside from our colleague?
我之前的女朋友
I was in a relationship.
也是一位律师
With another attorney.
她叫爱琳·查特沃思
Her name is Erin Chatworth.
时间不长 但是我们都是认真的
It was short, but it was serious.
我甩了她 她很生气
I broke it off and... she was very angry.
我会给你们她的所有信息
I'll give you all of her information.
查特沃思女士 我很明显注意到
Ms. Chatworth, it's obvious to me that
你最近不再戴婚戒了
you've recently stopped wearing a wedding band.
是因为你跟亚伦·施瑞德的婚外情
Was your marriage a casualty of
导致你们离婚的吗
your affair with Arlen Schrader?
如果是这样的话
And if so,
他要求分手时你有多生气
how angry were you when he recused himself from your pants?
你们还没跟我说过这是怎么回事
You still haven't told me what this is all about.
有人伤害亚伦了吗
Did somebody hurt Arlen?
没有
No.
没有 不过似乎有人挺恨他的
No, but it does look like someone might have a grudge against him.
你能告诉我们凌晨一点到四点间你在哪里吗
Can you tell us where you were last night between 1:00 and 4:00 A.M.?
在家 睡觉
Home, sleeping.
还能去哪
Where were you?
施瑞德先生说他跟你分开
Mr. Schrader said that he broke things off
是因为你们之间有利益冲突
because of a conflict of interest,
不过他没详细说明
but he did not elaborate.
当然 他肯定不会
No, I-I... I bet he wouldn't.
你会吗
Would you?
还记得艾斯维航♥空♥公♥司♥的1059次航♥班♥吗
Do you remember Aceway Flight 1059?
记得
Yeah.
从拉瓜迪亚到佛蒙特州柏林顿的通勤飞机
A commuter flight from LaGuardia to Burlington, Vermont
在去年坠毁了
that crashed last year.
80人遇难
80 people were killed.
其实是81人
81, actually.
运输安全委员会指责是航♥空♥公♥司♥的责任
NTSB blamed the airline,
说是因为维修故障
said it was due to faulty maintenance.
就是为了这个客户 他才甩了你吗
And that was the client that he chose over your relationship?
只是潜在的客户
Potential client.
亚伦是全国顶尖的赔偿案律师
Arlen is one of the top victims' comp attorneys in the country,
所以艾斯维航♥空♥先去找了他
so Aceway went to him first.
他们没有签约
They haven't signed anything yet,
不过那个案子的费用高达好几百万
but the billables on that account would be in the millions.
而他们竞争对手的一家航♥空♥公♥司♥是我的客户
I do business with a competing airline.
所以你就成了他的负担
And that made you a liability.
亚伦甩了我
Arlen dumped me
这样他就能靠那81个人的死来大捞一笔了
so he could profit off 81 people's deaths.
你真觉得我会因为他离开我
Do you really think I'm losing much sleep
而伤心难过吗
because he's out of my life?
施瑞德的确毁了她的婚姻
Schrader did bust up her marriage
而且她的不在场证据也不充分
and her alibi is weak,
不过我们觉得这事跟她无关
but we don't think she's involved.
那她丈夫呢
What about the husband?
她说他也跟别人在一起了
She said he was seeing someone, too.
而且他们有一份婚前协议 他能拿到很多钱
And there was a prenup in place that paid out to him,
所以他对这样的结果很满意
so he's actually pretty happy about the way things turned out.
我还是会去查查他的
I'm gonna run him down all the same.
把现金留在死者身上的那个人
Well, whoever left that cash on the victim,
被你说中了 是为了嫁祸
you were right about it being a smear job.
今天早晨所有小报都在邮件中收到了这个
All the tabloids got copies of this in the mail this morning.
"现在 我已经杀了亨利·威赛克
"By now, I have killed Henry Wilseck.
"但是我也偿付了金钱
"But I have paid the price.
"去问问警♥察♥ 问问亚伦·施瑞德
"Ask the police. Ask Arlen Schrader.
我们每个人值多少钱"
How much is any of us worth?"
邮戳是两天前的
Postmarks were from two days ago.
我们正在查有没有指纹 不过
We're checking for prints, but...
考虑到他留在威赛克身上的纸条上什么也没有
considering the note that he left on Wilseck was clean,
我觉得没什么希望
I'm not holding my breath.
这事肯定会上头条的
This'll get some headlines.
电台已经开始说这事了
Well, talk radio is already on it.
对施瑞德的指责跟凶手一样多
Schrader's taking as much heat as the killer.
如果他不收回他说的一些话
If he doesn't take back some of the stuff he said,
可能下一个死的就是他了
his body might be the next one we find.
你在搞什么
What's all this?
你从不下来的
You never come down here.
我只是在
I was just...
反思这个案子
ruminating on the case.
吵醒你了吗
The noise wake you?
不 是太安静了
No, actually it was too quiet.
我睡不着
I couldn't sleep.
你是因为这个才下来的吗
Is that why you're down here?
怕吵着我
You were worried about the noise?
我也不是没考虑这方面
Well, it did not not cross my mind.
你知道你不用这么小心翼翼的 对吧
Well, you know you don't have to tiptoe around for me, right?
我说了我想搬回来
I mean, I knew what I was signing up for
就做好准备了
when I said I wanted to come back.
在我的要求下
At my request,
亚伦·施瑞德把过去两年收到的
Arlen Schrader sent over every piece of hate mail he's received
所有恐吓信都送了过来
from the last two years.
其中有人失去了心爱的人
They're from people who'd lost loved ones
却只收到了肇事公♥司♥这么少的赔偿金
and received a smaller settlement from an offending company than they felt they deserved.
还有人被拒绝发放赔偿金
Or who were denied compensation altogether.
我一直在看这些信
I've been reviewing them in the hope
希望能找出嫌犯
that a viable suspect would emerge.
不过到目前为止
But so far none has done me
尚无任何发现
the courtesy of leaping out.
也许有人因为别的事憎恨施瑞德
Maybe it's someone who hates Schrader for another reason.
考虑到他跟爱琳·查特沃思分手的做法
I mean, considering the way he broke things off with Erin Chatworth,
我想恨他的人一定很多
I'm sure there are plenty.
也可能凶手杀人的动机根本不是愤怒
Or perhaps the killer is not motivated by anger at all.
查特沃思女士说过艾斯维航♥空♥
Ms. Chatworth mentioned that the Aceway account
给的律师费会有几百万美元
would be worth millions in attorney's fees.
而这只是一个客户
And that's just one client.
所以有可能 我保证施瑞德先生也会这么说
So, perhaps, as I'm sure mr. Schrader would put it,
这只是生意
it's just business.
这么说你认为是他的某个竞争对手干的
So, you think it's one of his competitors.
另一名受害者的赔偿案律师
Another victims' comp attorney?
把公♥司♥从施瑞德先生手里抢走
It would be an effective way of stealing the company
这办法很高效
away from Mr. Schrader,
你不觉得吗
don't you think?
这是可能之一
It's one possibility.
还会有其它的可能
There will be others.
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表