So, I'll make copies of the Bray map and the photographs.
我们分开工作效率也许会更快
The work might go faster if we work independently.
所以 昨晚我们问自己
So, last night we asked ourselves,
真的布雷地图与赝品有何不同
"How does the real Bray map differ from the forgery?"
显然答案是
Obviously the answer is
用强光照我的脸
to shine a bright light in my face.
我花了数个小时将赝品与
I've spent several hours comparing images of the forgery
玛格丽特·布雷提供的照片进行对比
to those photographs supplied by Margaret Bray.
据我的观察
And as far as I can tell,
原版与赝品一模一样
original and forgery are identical.
那你的理论就是错的
Then your theory was wrong.
不是原版上边的信息
The information on the original
让它更有价值
isn't what makes it so valuable.
我的理论没错
My theory was right.
是问题错了 我们应该自问
The question was wrong. We should've asked ourselves,
布雷地图与现实有何不同
"How does the Bray map differ from reality?"
这是一张布雷地图里那块地的现代描绘
This is a modern-day depiction of the land in the Bray map.
那是张布雷地图
That is the Bray map.
匹配得挺完美的
It all lines up pretty perfectly.
爱德华 ·斯迈思是位优秀的制图师
Edward Smythe was a fine mapmaker.
收藏他的作品是正确的选择
Collectors are right to covet his work.
但你说的不对 并非完美匹配
But you're wrong-- it doesn't line up perfectly.
注意看斯波茨伍德河这一小片区域
Note this one small section of the Spotswood River,
在过去的220年中
where at some point over the last 220 years,
河道移♥动♥了
the river has shifted its course.
这很重要吗
And why is that important?
因为那里正筹备建造
Because an Indian casino is
一座印第安赌场
currently slated for construction
就在这里
right there.
好了
Now...
如果真的建成了的话
it will be the first in the state
这将是国内第一家
if, indeed, it is completed.
这项建筑需要清理的障碍
The regulatory hurdles that such a proposal
简直如拜占庭般复杂
needs to clear are Byzantine to say the least.
而我们现在看到的
And what we are looking at here...
可能是这项计划的死穴
may be the project's death blow.
那份条约表明这片土地
The treaty which established this reservation
波瓦坦部落得到联邦认可 赌场计划更进一步
只到斯波茨伍德河的最东部
defines the easternmost border as the Spotswood River
而且引用的正是这张地图
and cites this very map as its source.
所以在当时 河道更靠西一些
So, back then, the river veered more to the west.
也就是说 那座赌场的建造地
Which means the proposed site of the casino
完全不属于居留地内
is not on the reservation at all.
他们不能在那建造
They can't build there.
因为地形的原因
Due to topographical concerns,
居留地内其他土地都不适合建造
no other site on the reservation will do.
所以 找到原版布雷地图的原因
And so, the reason to hunt for the real Bray map
已经显而易见
becomes clear.
不像赝品 原版可以呈上法庭
It, unlike a forgery, would be admissible in court.
并且非常可能
And would in all likelihood,
终结这数十亿美元的生意
spell the end of a billion-dollar endeavor.
好吧 那这一切
Okay, so what does all of this
和威廉·赫尔有什么关系
have to do with William Hull?
除了他在纽约的房♥产
Well, aside from his real estate in New York,
他在大西洋城还有几个赌场
he owns several casinos in Atlantic City.
弗吉尼亚州的赌场会抢走他的生意
A casino in Virginia would take business away from him.
所以你认为赫尔是凶手
So, you think Hull's the killer?
我基本可以肯定他不是凶手
I'm almost certain that he is not.
他没有偷布雷地图的动机
He has no motive to steal the Bray map.
如果他知道东西♥藏♥在三十九街图书馆
If he'd known it was in the 39th Street Library,
他的律师可以直接要求传召这证据
his lawyers could've just subpoenaed it.
那凶手会是谁
Then who?
就是你们要见我
You the folks who were asking to see me?
里昂·穆迪 公♥司♥总经理
Leon Moody, General Manager.
夏洛克·福尔摩斯 我和我的同事们
Sherlock Holmes. My colleagues and I
是纽约警局的顾问
are consultants with the NYPD.
离我们这有点远啊 是吧
A little far upstate, aren't you?
如果某地发生了两起谋杀案
Once two murders have been committed,
不管多远我们都要跟着案子走
we go where the case takes us.
你不仅是这里的总经理吧
You're not just the general manager here.
你同时也是阿尔冈昆
You're also chairman of the Algonquian
博♥彩♥委员会的委员长 对吧
Gaming Commission, right?
就是这个委员会
The same commission which is funding
在资助波瓦坦族在弗吉尼亚建赌场
the Powhatan tribe's efforts to build a casino in Virginia.
这周有两人被杀
Two men were murdered this week
因为他们试图从图书馆偷走一份地图
because someone tried to steal a map from a library
而该地图会扰乱赌场建设项目
that could derail that project.
如果你现在帮助我们指认凶手
Now, if you help us identify the perpetrators, you have our word
我们保证会为信息来源保密
no one will know the information came from you.
你们得开很久才能回到城里
You folks got a long drive back to the city.
是时候上路了
You ought to get going.
我先问你一个问题如何
What if I ask a question first?
我比我的同事早到了一会儿
I came here before my associates
刚刚经过二十一点赌桌的时候
and whilst I was walking past your blackjack tables,
我忍♥不住拍下了这些视频
I couldn't help taking these videos.
你必须把这些删掉
You gotta delete those.
我已经上传云端了
It's all in the cloud now.
我注意到人头牌极少出现
I noticed how rarely face cards were coming up.
人头牌占据一副扑克的四分之一
They make up almost a quarter of the deck,
然而在我的视频中
but in my videos,
它们却并未频繁地出现
I don't see them nearly that often.
这让我很好奇 会不会是赌场
Got me thinking. What if the casino,
从他们使用的六副扑克中
say, pulled a few kings and queens
擅自抽出了几张K和Q呢
from each of those six decks you use?
这样 赌场就不用
The house wouldn't have to pay out
为常常出现的二十一点付钱了
for blackjack nearly as often.
这只是个小例子 不过我们在联调局的同事
It's only a small sample, but we have colleagues
肯定会很有兴趣来看看的
at the FBI who would be more than willing to take a look,
如果他们让你关门 哪怕就一天
and if they were to shut you down for just one day...
你会损失多少钱
how much might you lose?
我们只是想要一个名字
We're just asking for a name.
跟我来
Come with me.
这是
Is that...
原版吗
The original?
你觉得呢
What do you think?
你可能知道
As you're probably aware,
这是几天来我们见到的第二份赝品了
this is the second such forgery we've seen in as many days.
不如第一个那么逼真 不过还是
It's not quite as good as the other one, but still...
你为什么给我们看这个
Why are you showing this to us?
我的
My, um...
助手和我 在几周前才意识到
associates and I only realized the King James County map
詹姆斯国王郡地图在那个图书馆里
was at that library a few weeks ago.
我们以为那份是真品
We thought it was real.
我们知道它可能会对我们不利
We knew it could be used against us,
所以就伪造了这份
so we arranged to have this one made.
我们打算买♥♥通图书馆工作人员
We were going to pay someone at the library
用假图换走真图
to switch ours out with theirs.
没人会受到伤害
No one was going to get hurt.
所以如果有人传这份地图到庭
So if anyone subpoenaed the map--
比如威廉·赫尔的律师
William Hull's attorneys,
你的利益也将得到保护
for example-- your interests would be protected.
有人会发现地图是伪造的
Someone would discover the map was a fake
这样建设赌场的计划就能继续进行
and then plans for the casino would keep moving forward.
你可以想像我们这周看到新闻有多么惊讶
You can imagine our surprise when we saw the news this week.
有其他人偷走了地图
Someone else had stolen the map,
图书馆保安被杀害
a guard had been killed.
之后地图意外出现 但警方说
Then the map turns up, only the police say
地图从始至终都是假的
it was a fake all along.
我们才发觉自己费了这么大劲
We realized we'd gotten ourselves all worked up
却都做了无用功
over absolutely nothing.
你们可以随意把地图拿走
Uh... you're more than welcome to take it.
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表