大部分人是轻率 有些不是
Much of it is frivolous, some of it is not.
但每一次这样的购买♥♥都流入消费债务的
But every such purchase flows into a massive ocean
巨大海洋中
of consumer debt.
仅在美国 加起来就有2.4万亿美元
In this country alone, it adds up to $2.4 trillion,
大部分人欠信♥用♥卡♥公♥司♥的钱
most of it owed to credit card companies.
霍洛维茨不在信♥用♥卡♥公♥司♥工作
Horowitz did not work for a credit card company.
对 但这样的企业有一项政策
True, but such corporations have a policy of giving up
就是放弃催缴超过180天未付清的欠款
on trying to collect unpaid debt after 180 days.
有人觉得不值得费这么大劲
Someone's decided it's just not worth the effort.
他们会把账单卖♥♥掉
So they sell it on.
把债务卖♥♥掉
They sell the debt?
卖♥♥给谁
To who?
为什么有人会买♥♥没付款的账单
Why would anyone buy an unpaid bill?
因为可以获得很大的折扣
Because you can get it at a steep discount.
假设你用一千块钱买♥♥了
Let's say you purchase $10,000 worth of debt
一万块钱的债
for $1,000.
然后你就可以去骚扰债务人
You're then able to harass or otherwise
或者给他免去五千块钱的债务
wring $5,000 out of your unfortunate creditees.
这样你就赚了...
You've then made...
四千块钱
$4,000.
这种赚钱的方式
As a way to make a living,
非常下三滥
it's more than a bit declasse,
所以史蒂文才一直瞒着他的妻子
which is why Steven kept it hidden from his wife.
不过这也是非常有利可图的
But it can also be very lucrative,
所以他才干起了这行
which is why he was doing it in the first place.
我们得装很多部电♥话♥
we're gonna need a phone bank
才能查清所有的这些人
of our own just to sort through all these people.
其实 我们要去警局了
Actually, we're going to the precinct.
我让贝尔警探去查一下
I asked Detective Bell to sort through the W-2s
史蒂文公♥司♥的税单
from Steven's company.
他雇了一名员工 叫爱德华多·佩尼亚
He's bringing in an employee named Eduardo Pena.
墙上的每一个人
Any one of those people on the wall
都有杀史蒂文的动机
had motive to want Steven gone.
所以我不会把他们排除掉
And I wouldn't rule them out,
不过收债的人都有习惯
but the debt collection industry
雇佣罪犯或者假释的人
is notorious for hiring convicts and recent parolees.
我觉得很有可能史蒂文遇到了
I think it's equally likely that Steven ran afoul
一个干过坏事的同事
of one of his shadowy new associates.
像爱德华多·佩尼亚这样的人
Someone like Eduardo Pena.
这个人有监禁和暴♥力♥袭击的前科
The man does have a history of incarceration and violent assault.
SMH公♥司♥税单的复印件
Copies of the W-2 forms from SMH Incorporated.
贝尔还没带佩尼亚回来
Bell hasn't arrived with Mr. Pena yet,
所以我想在等他们的时候先看一下
so I thought we could look through them while we wait
看看有没有什么特别的
and see if there's anything untoward.
安德鲁
去玛丽亚那餐厅吃晚饭可以吗?
去玛丽亚那餐厅吃晚饭可以吗
当然
你为什么要说谎
Why did you lie?
什么
What?
那是家阿根廷牛排馆
That's an Argentinian steakhouse.
而你不喜欢阿根廷香辣酱
It's an established fact that you abhor chimichurri sauce.
首先 不要在我身后偷看
First of all, don't read over my shoulder.
其次 我这不是说谎 是有礼貌
And it wasn't a lie. I'm being polite.
我们今晚要跟安德鲁的父亲一起吃饭
We're having dinner with Andrew's father tonight.
可能是他选的地方
He probably picked the place.
我不能拒绝
I'm not gonna say I won't go there.
见家长
Meeting the parents.
这是你们恋爱期间重要的里程碑
That's an important milestone in your romantic passion play.
不 我不是去见家长
No, I'm not meeting his parents. I'm having dinner
只是和他父亲吃晚饭 不是大事
with his father. It's no big deal.
那你为什么这么紧张
Then why is it making you so tense?
我不是因为吃晚饭的事紧张
I'm not tense about the meal.
而是因为你一直在盘问我
I'm tense about you grilling me about it.
不是
No.
马库斯来了
Marcus is here.
谢天谢地
Thank God.
几个月前 史蒂文和我做成了
Steven and I worked our first debt package together
我们的第一笔生意
a few months ago.
那是他的第一次
It was his first time.
我教给他该怎么做
I kind of showed him the ropes.
而且你当时还在做另一项生意
And you were working on another project together,
对吧
weren't you?
在长岛市
Out in Long Island City?
史蒂文搞到了一大堆账单
Steven got tipped to a big package.
他管它叫主矿脉
He called it the Mother Lode.
好几百万的债务
Millions and millions' worth of debt
他只花了很少的钱
that he picked up on the cheap.
有几百万
How many millions?
我不知道
I don't know.
史蒂文从不给我看整份名单
Steven never showed me the whole list.
他只是给我每天要打电♥话♥的人的名字
He'd just give us names to call every day.
你们的办公室为什么关了
Why were your offices shut down?
我不清楚
I don't really know.
有时如果史蒂文勾上欠很多钱的大鱼
Sometimes if Steven had his hooks into someone
而且他们又住得很近的话
who owed big money and they lived nearby,
他会开车去见他
he'd drive out to see him,
亲自收钱
try to collect in person.
他上周就是去干这事了
He went out on one of those errands last week,
回来后把我们全部炒了
came back, told us all to go home.
发生什么了
What happened?
他去见谁了
Who did he see?
不知道
No idea.
他只是说我们不再收账单了
He just said we were done collecting on the package--
这很可笑 因为我们打电♥话♥的人还不到
which was ridiculous, 'cause we hadn't even called a third
名单上的三分之一
of the names yet.
你怎么知道的
How do you know that?
你不是说没有看到整份名单吗
Thought you never saw the whole list.
我猜的
Just a guess.
他在说谎
He's lying.
还很拙劣
Badly.
你给谁打电♥话♥
Who are you calling?
电♥话♥公♥司♥ 我要冒充佩尼亚先生
The phone company. I'm gonna pretend to be Mr. Pena.
就这么不明不白地丢了工作
You must have been pretty upset,
你一定很生气吧
losing a job out of nowhere like that.
我还好奇你什么时候才会问这话
I was wondering when you were gonna get to that.
你觉得是我杀了史蒂文 对吧
You think I killed Steven, right?
合情合理
Makes sense.
他炒了我
He fired me.
而我又有很厚的案底
I've got a rap sheet.
他就在几天前死的 对吧
He died, what, a couple days ago?
是的
That's right.
史蒂文上周把所有人都炒了
Steven let everybody go last week.
我第二天就去了俄亥俄州的斯普林菲尔德市
I left for Springfield, Ohio, the next day.
昨天晚上才回来
Got back last night.
你去那干什么
What were you doing there?
参加侄子的生日聚会
Nephew's birthday party.
你们如果想看的话 我可以把旅行票♥据♥给你们
I'll show you the travel receipts if you want.
他可能没有杀害史蒂文·霍洛维茨
He might not have killed Steven Horowitz,
但有一件事他说谎了
but he's lying about one thing.
他有债务人的整份名单
He has the complete list of debts.
他偷的
He stole it.
这是谁
Who's that?
佩尼亚先生在他的家里刚安装了十四部电♥话♥
Mr. Pena just installed 14 new phone lines at his apartment.
他是要自己另起炉灶
He's opening a boiler room of his own.
是真的吗
Is that true?
如果我们去你家搜查
If we look around your place,
会不会找出史蒂文的债务人名单
are we gonna find Steven's list of debtors?
如果找到了 你就犯了非法占有偷窃物品罪
If we do, that's criminal possession of stolen property.
这可是重罪 而且你也违反了假释条例
That's a felony charge and a parole violation.
当然了 如果你的不在场证据被证实了
Now, of course, if your alibi checks out,
而且又主动交出名单
you give us the list voluntarily...
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表