剧集 | 大世界之旅(2016) | 导航列表
and front fog lamps.
和两个前雾灯
It was beautiful and wondrous
它美丽又精妙
and exciting beyond words.
刺♥激♥程度无以言说
I can still remember now, vividly, how I felt.
现在我都能清晰回忆起那时的感觉
My knees actually buckled.
我膝盖都发软了
I mean...
我是说…
The hairs on the back of my neck are rising now
我脖子后面的汗毛现在立起来了
in exactly the same way as they did on that autumn day 50 years ago.
就像50年前的那个秋日
I can also remember the enormity of the hug I gave my dad,
还记得当时给我爸了一个大大的拥抱
cos I was just so proud of him.
因为我真的太为他骄傲了
I mean, he had an E! An E stood for Executive.
他有了一辆E 这代表着管理层
My dad had a 1600E.
我爸有了台1600E
I mean, that meant he was better than the Duke of Edinburgh.
那意味着爱丁堡公爵都不如他
A few years later in South Wales,
几年后的南威尔士
another young boy called James May
一位叫詹姆斯·梅的年轻人
went through the exact same thing.
也在经历着同样的事
I was at my mate Andrew Jones's house, just up the road from ours,
我当时正在朋友安德鲁·琼斯家 他就住在街尾
when his dad came in and said that my dad
他爸走进来说
had just arrived home and he had a new car.
我爸刚到家 而且开了辆新车
So, I went outside...
于是我走到外面
and there parked next to the kerb,
马路旁
was a brand-new Cortina GXL.
停着一辆全新的Cortina GXL
And I thought, "Well, that can't be my dad's new car."
当时我想 "嗯 那不可能是我爸的新车"
But it was.
但还真是
This was the all-new Mark III Cortina.
这是辆全新的第三代Cortina
And, because it was the GXL model,
而且这是GXL
it had chrome strips on the grille,
它有着细长的镀铬进气栅
and a vinyl roof.
和乙烯基车顶
And four auxiliary dials that were angled towards the driver.
四个辅助仪表盘正对驾驶者
It also had something called a rev counter,
它还有个转速表
and I'd never seen one of those before.
那之前 我从没见过
But when I looked at it,
但看向它
I suddenly became aware that my body could produce semen.
我突然感受到了这辈子第一次高♥潮♥
Unfortunately, not all children in Britain
不幸的是 不是所有的英国孩子
were as fortunate as James and me.
都像詹姆斯和我一样幸运
Because some of them were born in Birmingham.
因为有人生在伯明翰
And you couldn't really have a Ford here
因为这是英国利兰的故乡
because this was the home of British Leyland.
所以不能买♥♥福特
I grew up here on this street.
我在这条街上长大
And I remember the day my dad came home with our new car.
还记得我爸开着新车回家那天
I prayed it would be a Cortina. Literally prayed.
我祈祷他会买♥♥台Cortina 真的
But it wasn't.
但事与愿违
What it was... was a shoulder-sagging
那辆令人失望的
bag of disappointment
丧气车
called the Austin Allegro Estate.
叫做奥斯丁Allegro旅行款
It doesn't even have four doors.
它甚至没有四门
What was my father thinking?
我爸到底在想什么
Why did he do that to us?
为什么要这样对我们
I fell to my childish knees,
年幼的我跪在地上
threw my head back and I howled at the sky.
仰头对天 嚎啕大哭
Birds across Birmingham took off.
全伯明翰的鸟都惊动了
Deer in Stratford-upon-Avon looked up.
斯特拉特福德的鹿也听到了
Such was my horror.
我就有这么恨
This was the summit. This was it!
这是极限 就这个
This is the best that we, the Hammonds, could do.
这就是哈蒙德一家的最优选择
We lived in suburbia. People drive past all the time.
我们住在郊区 这里车来车往
They see your car. They judge you if have a wishing well or a gate.
他们会看见你的车 就连许愿池和大门都会被评头论足
We had this! On our drive!
而我们有台它 停在车道上
Where people could see it.
停在大家都能看见的地方
Because my dad had the GXL
鉴于我爸开的是GXL
he got the brake servo and the alternator as standard.
刹车助力和车用交流电机自然是标配
I'm sorry to keep banging on about this GXL thing,
抱歉我一直在强调GXL
but my mate Lonnie, his dad only had an XL.
但我朋友朗尼的爸爸只有一辆XL
So he was scum.
所以他弱爆了
I walked home from school.
我宁愿从学校走路回家
That wasn't cos I wanted the exercise.
不是因为我想锻炼身体
That's because I would rather walk or hop or crawl 30 miles
而是因为我宁愿走或跳 甚至爬48公里回家
than be seen getting into that.
也不想被别人看到我上车
It's cars like this,
这样的车
it's secrets, dark secrets like this
就像是人们深埋在过去
lurking in people's pasts
最阴暗的秘密
that creates serial killers and psychopaths.
连环杀人凶手和变♥态♥由此而产生
It's a bloody miracle I'm not one.
我没跑偏真是三生有幸
It's not being short that makes me an angry man,
长得矮或出生在伯明翰
or being born in Birmingham, it's this! It's you!
都不是我如此暴躁的原因 而是它 就是你
I could have been great,
我本可有所成就
I could have had dignity, social standing.
可以拥有尊严和地位
I could have mattered. But you came into my life...
出人头地 但你闯进了我的生活…
My dad bought a Mark III Cortina
我爸买♥♥了第三代Cortina
because he had three children
因为他有三个孩子
and he wanted them to be safe.
他想要保证孩子的安全
And he knew they would be safe,
他也心知他们会平安
because Ford had made a film telling him so.
因为福特的影片如是告诉他
We've got the teddy bears in, we've got the golf clubs.
我们有泰迪熊 有高尔夫球杆
We've got the racing car.
还有赛车
And if you don't happen to carry those things
如果你刚好没有这些东西
but you have a bigger family,
但却有一大家子人
you can pack those in as well.
你可以把他们都安顿在车里
Even with five children in the back,
就算后座有五个孩子
you can drive in a more or less relaxed fashion,
你也能轻松驾驶
safe in the knowledge that they're kept in the four-door Cortina
有了儿童安全锁 能安心知道
with child-proof safety locks.
他们都在四门Cortina内
I've never driven one of these before,
我从没开过这车
and to be honest, I never wanted to,
说实话 我也不想开
because that really would be meeting a childhood hero.
因为这就是遇见童年英雄
I love it, though. It's...
但我真的很爱这车
You can see even better now, can't you?
现在能看得更清楚了吧
What about this one? That's it.
这下怎么样 就这样
Back in 1974, we used to have regular power cuts
1974年 由于矿工罢♥工♥
because of the miners' strike,
我们经常断电
and there was absolutely nothing to do
在漆黑的房♥子里
in our completely pitch-black house.
通常无事可做
So I used to go outside and sit in my dad's car
所以我会走出家门 坐进我爸的车
and just pretend to drive it, which was brilliant.
假装自己在开车 那真的太棒了
Not least because you could turn the light on,
至少家里停电时
which you couldn't do in the house.
你还能打开车灯
Lights.
开灯
Oh, I used to love the power cuts.
我以前真的很喜欢停电
Outside of Birmingham, then,
在伯明翰之外的地方
everyone young and old was in love
无论男女老少
with Ford's four-door saloon.
都爱上了福特的四门轿车
Because of this love affair,
因为这份爱
Ford sold a Cortina somewhere in Britain every 47 seconds.
福特在英国每47秒就会卖♥♥出一辆Cortina
In 20 years, they sold 2.6 million of them.
20年里 他们售出了260万辆Cortina
And let me put it this way:
这样说吧
British Leyland took twice as long as that
英国利兰花了两倍的时间
to sell half as many Minis.
只卖♥♥出一半数量的Mini
The Cortina then had become a part of the fabric of Britain.
Cortina已经变成英国的一部分了
It was the nitrogen of our existence.
它就是我们存在所需的氮气
But, on 22nd July 1982...
但 1982年7月22日
...Ford pulled the plug.
…福特停产了Cortina
And that was the end of that.
故事到这就结束了
Sad story of the Cortina. Yeah, it is.
–Cortina的悲伤故事 -是的
But it's a great story. It goes on.
但也是个好故事 一切还在继续
Yeah. Do you feel better?
是 你好些了吗
Um...yeah. A bit. That's good.
嗯 好些了 那就好
I just want to do... I just want to do one thing.
我只想做一件事
Can I just ask, how many people's dads here had Cortinas?
我想问问 在座多少人的父亲有过Cortina
This is... Look at that. Yeah.
这简直… 你看 对啊
That's an astonishing array, isn't it?
令人震惊的数目 不是吗
剧集 | 大世界之旅(2016) | 导航列表