剧集 | 庭审专家(2016) | 导航列表
女士们 先生们 有请惠特尼·霍兰德
Ladies and gentlemen, Whitney Holland.
我在一个农场长大
I grew up on a farm.
几百英亩的大农场
Couple hundred acres.
每天
Every day,
我父亲都会去田里
my dad would go out to the field.
捆干草
Bale hay,
喂喂猪
feed slop to the pigs,
铲牛粪
shovel cow dung.
我到现在还能闻到那股牛粪味
I can still smell that cow dung.
在我九岁生日前的那个夏天
And then the summer before my ninth birthday,
前所未有的热浪袭来
there was this amazing heat wave,
随之而来的 是无边无际的干旱
and with it, this unrelenting drought.
旱得彷佛永远看不到尽头
The kind of drought that just seems to go on forever.
我记得我爸爸尽其所能
And I remember my dad doing everything he could
去保住庄稼 保住动物
to save the crops, save the animals,
但庄稼还是干枯了
but the crops dried up.
动物们也陆续死去
Animals started to die.
然后在一个八月下旬的早晨
And then, one late August morning,
父亲突然倒在了一片玉米地里
my father dropped dead in a cornfield.
死于极度脱水和心脏衰竭
Dehydration and heart failure.
他那年三十二岁
He was 32 years old.
大家注意 我说的可不是在印度
By the way, I'm not talking about India
或是非洲
or Africa.
我说的地方就在
I'm talking 150 miles
纽约州高速向北150英里
up the New York State Thruway.
从这片广阔水域过去只要不到三小时
Less than three hours from this vast body of water.
不合理啊
Makes no sense.
在这样一片水源富足的地方
In a world with so much water,
为什么这么多人没有水
why are so many people without?
这...
This...
...就是"淡水蜂巢"
...is the Freshwater Honeycomb.
这是一款被动的 非电气的去盐化设备
It's a passive, nonelectrical desalination tool.
它就像一个化学磁铁
It acts like a chemical magnet,
将盐分在分子层面从水中分离
separating salt from water on a molecular level.
这东西不贵
It's inexpensive
也不依赖于任何可耗尽的能源
and doesn't rely on any exhaustible energy sources.
想象一下吧 女士们先生们
Imagine this, ladies and gentlemen,
当它以全球的规模运作
happening on a global scale.
源源不断的水供应
An endless supply of water
将来自于世界上的五个大洋
provided by the world's five oceans,
上百条河流 上千个湖泊
hundreds of rivers, and thousands of lakes,
再经过"淡水蜂巢"净化
and purified by the Freshwater Honeycomb.
我的技术团队说再过九十天就能发布了
My tech team tells me we're only 90 days away.
那么有人想加入吗
So who wants in?
请进
Come on in.
我听见你告诉他们只要九十天
I hear you told them 90 days.
九十天我们能扩张到什么级别
To scale up to what?
每天产两千五百万加仑吗
25 million gallons a day?
作为开头挺不错的
That would be a good start.
你知道这是不可能的
You know that's not gonna happen.
九十天达不到 甚至九十年也不一定
Not in 90 days, maybe not in 90 years.
不 我不知道它是否不可能发生
No, I don't know that's not going to happen,
你也不知道
and you don't either.
惠特尼 不是每个问题都能
Whitney, not every problem can be solved
单靠注入热情解决
simply by adding enthusiasm.
好吧 德雷克 已经晚上十点了
Okay, Derek, it's 10:00 at night.
你想要什么 新的软件吗
What do you need? Some new piece of software?
你还缺什么新玩意儿
What... what new gizmo do you need?
需要我从哪里挖几个新的生化学家过来吗
What... what new biochemist do you want me to try to steal from...
不是这些
It's none of that.
惠特尼 我不干了 就是不干了
Whitney, I'm done. I'm just done.
你不断从人们手里拿钱 然后许下空头支票
You keep taking people's money, promising them the moon,
而我却要充当你的登月英雄
and I'm supposed to be your Neil Armstrong
把这玩意给他们 但我办不到
and give it to them, and I'm telling you I can't.
你说什么 德雷克 我们之前不也是这样吗
What? Derek, we've been here before.
你就是累了 你根本不是不想干
You're just tired. You're nowhere near done.
五百加仑足够做展示了
500 gallons is great for a demonstration,
但我们得证明"淡水蜂巢"
but we need to prove we can scale up
还有升级空间 足以应对市级的供水系统
the Freshwater Honeycomb to handle whole municipalities,
甚至全州的...
city water systems, state water...
我最近一个月都想跟你说
I've been trying to tell you for a month.
这成不了 你心里清楚 我们都清楚
It can't. You know it. We both know it.
而且明天地方检察官也会清楚
And tomorrow the D.A. is gonna know it.
他是怎么得到假期时间的
How did he score vacation time?
他没有 据我所知
He didn't, not that I'm aware of.
真漂亮
Beautiful.
我现在还在用我大学时候的箱子
I'm still using the ones I got in college.
有意思了 这些是给我女儿的
Funny you should say that. They're for my daughter.
你女儿 你们要一起旅行吗
Your daughter? You guys are taking a trip together?
她昨晚给我打电♥话♥ 她申到了奖学金
She called me last night. She won a scholarship,
一个新闻学奖学金
a journalism scholarship,
出国去约旦学习半年
to study abroad for six months in Jordan.
约旦啊 中东那边
Jordan, ah, Middle East.
你觉得如何
How do you feel about that?
棒呆 激动 为她自豪
Thrilled, excited, proud of her.
也替她担心
Scared for her.
他们发过来的介绍
The packet that they sent
一直在说那地方有多安全
keeps talking about how safe it is,
尽管大家都知道它处于世界上一个
even though we know it's in a part of the world that,
有点可怕的地方
you know, is a little scary.
但如果你想成为一个记者
But if you want to be a journalist,
真正的记者 而这正是她想做的...
a serious journalist, and she does...
天呐
My God.
1500个学生申请了 而他们挑中了她
1,500 students applied, and they picked her.
你面前这个男的 从来没有离开过佐治亚州
I mean, you're looking at a guy who didn't leave Georgia
直到他十八岁
until he was 18 years old.
我他妈真是太自豪了
It is obscene how proud I am.
我想你已经读过报了
I'm guessing you've read the papers,
看了那些报道
seen the reports.
联邦政♥府♥把我告上了法庭
The federal government is taking me to court.
刑事法庭
Criminal court. Uh...
起诉我涉嫌两起串谋诈骗
Charging me with two counts of conspiracy to commit fraud,
九起电汇诈骗
nine counts of wire fraud,
还有些别的 不是很严重的罪名
some other, less consequential things
我一下子想不起来了
that I can't remember right now,
反正所有的指控都以"诈骗"二字结尾
though all the charges do end with the word "fraud."
你在头版头条
You're on the front page.
这可真是
Oh, that's
够精简
pithy.
那么为什么政♥府♥会
So, why do you think the government
突然找上你来
is suddenly coming after you?
我的朋友...
My friend...
我在研发部的头儿
my head of R&D,
他突然很确信我们以前做的都是无用功
he just became convinced we were chasing a ghost,
我们不可能达成曾经的目标
that there was no way we could get to where we needed to go,
然后他就去找警♥察♥了
so he went to the Feds.
但为什么要这么做呢
But why do that?
如果他不满意 离职不就好了
If he was unhappy, why not just quit?
我猜我在筹款方面
I think I became so good
做得太好了以致于激怒了他
at raising money that he got spooked.
一开始一切都还只是闹着玩 我们没钱
And when it was just a lark, when we had no money,
没有人理我们
no one to answer to,
那时候也没有压力
there was no pressure.
但是当人们听说了我们在干嘛
But when people heard what we were up to,
他们开始给我们疯狂投钱
they started throwing money at us.
这几年真的很疯狂
I mean, it's been a wild couple of years.
但我们越成功
But the more successful we got,
德雷克就越冷淡
the more Derek just froze.
我想他可能以为只要他能
I'm guessing he thought that if he could
把自己重塑为一个告密者
剧集 | 庭审专家(2016) | 导航列表