剧集 | 亿万 | 导航列表
you know, I‐I keep rolling it around in the ol' noggin.
其实当我在这里 我有一种使命感
When I was here, I had a sense of purpose,
我确信 法律 还有我作为检察官
you know, a surety that the law, and my intention
想做好事做善事的意图
of doing good and right as a prosecutor,
就是一种盾牌
was a kind of shield.
而你学到了让你
And you learned the very tools
提升职位的最佳工具
that allowed you to ascend to the job‐‐
没错
For sure.
打击世上的罪恶
Oh. To fight the evil in this world.
如果我能为下一代提供武器
And if I can be a part of giving
尽一份力的话
the next generation the weapons‐‐
有你授课是他们的荣幸
How lucky they'll be to have you.
我们很欣慰地让你成为一名客座教授
We are thrilled that you'll be a visiting professor.
罗兹的名字会成为我们传统的一部分
The Rhoades name is woven into our tradition here...
作为法学院的
And as a member
一名教员
of our Facultas Legis,
或许你能帮我们解决一个小问题
perhaps you could help us with a small matter.
似乎你父亲同意
It seems your father agreed
每年向我们学校捐赠
to an annual donation
十万美元
of a hundred thousand dollars...
可他似乎拖欠了
...and he's a bit in arrears.
有几年没给了
How many years has he missed?
一年都没给
Well, all of them.
一年都没给
All of them.
如果你能帮忙 那就再好不过了
If you could help, that'd be great.
不管怎样 期待你的加入
Either way, we look forward to you joining us.
我从斯维尼州长办公室过来
I'm here from Governor Sweeney's office
是来拿支票的
to pick up the check.
拿什么支票
Which check is that?
那张五百万的支票
The one for $5 million.
你们办公室新近获得的那笔资金
The funds from your office's recent seizure?
你该打个电♥话♥的
You should have called
免得你大老远白跑一趟
and saved the wear and tear on your Florsheims then
因为我的理解是
because the way I understand it,
那笔资金属于我们 我们自♥由♥支配
those funds are ours to deploy as we see fit.
不对
No.
它是由州长来支配和调遣
They're at the governor's discretion and direction.
现在他派我来拿那张支票
And he's directed me to come and get them.
他觉得曼哈顿的检察长办公室
He feels that the Manhattan DA's office
也许能更好地利用那笔资金
can put them to better use.
今天之内把支票开过来
Have a check cut by end of day.
趁你能笑的时候赶紧笑
Enjoy your self‐satisfied smile while it lasts.
我从没说过我想撤资
I never said I wanted to divest.
如果你觉得这样做不对
You wouldn't be here if you didn't know
你也不会来这儿了
it was the right thing to do.
而我可以告诉你怎么操作
And that I'm the person who knows how to do it.
身处我这个位置的人
How can a man in my position
怎么能屈服于学生一时的压力
give in to the whims of the current student‐‐
没错 你必须划清界限
Yes. You have drawn battle lines.
因此你觉得这是在屈服
And so you think of it as giving in.
不只是我这样想
I'm not the only one.
受托人董事会主席对此有强烈的看法
The chairman of my board of trustees has a strong take‐‐
如果其它机构先做了
What's his take going to be
他又是什么看法
if other institutions do this first?
只要我们不是最后一个
Well. As long as we're not last,
我觉得他也没什么好抱怨的
I think he'll be just fine with it.
你那么聪明 绝不会那么想的
You are too smart to think that way.
考虑到你过去的历史
And know your history too well.
就等着接受错失的遗憾吧
Wait and see results in missing out.
你能保证我们在这个项目
Can you guarantee me that we'll make real money
真正赚钱吗
in the process?
你可以离开化工领域
You will be out of your petroleum positions.
人们会认为你对合理意见进行了积极回应
You will be seen as responsive to legitimate concerns.
而且你会处于财政思考的
And you will be on the cutting edge
前沿领域
of financial thinking.
如果这都不算赢 你说什么才算
If that's not a win, tell me what is.
而那群有特权的混♥蛋♥ 也就是学生会
And the entitled asshole class known as the student body
会认为是他们赢了 逼得我作此决定的
will think they won and bullied me into it.
你有多少机会来做
How often does someone give you the chance
聪明的事
to do the smart thing,
就算是自尊和毕生的枷锁
even when ego and lifelong wiring
想将你拉向另一个方向
are trying to pull you in a different direction?
我懂 深有体会
I understand, firsthand,
为了顾全大局 忍♥住剧痛
what it is to choke down the bile of compromise
打掉牙齿往肚里吞
for the sake of the greater good.
感觉很恶心 全身战栗不能自己
Yes, it feels gross and you shudder and shake.
但是你第二天醒来会浑身轻松
But you wake up the next day with a mind at ease.
因为你顾全了大局
Because you have protected the long term.
而不是为了满足自己一时的
Instead of indulging in the momentary feeling
自我感觉良好
of being strong.
我会把提议拿给受托人看
I'll take it to the trustees.
好的 我马上打给你
Yeah. I'll call you soon.
随便啦
Whatever.
是这样 我找到一个捐赠者
Okay, so. I found out a donor
他每年向体育部捐赠80万
who gave 800K to the athletic department each year.
他是我们朋友的朋友
He's friends with friends of ours.
所以我联♥系♥了他
So I reached out.
结果他捐的不是80万
Only it ain't 800K he gives.
而是一百万
It's a mil.
还有20万不知去向
There's 200K a year going somewhere else.
你知道什么
What'd you learn?
没什么 这是
Uh. No. That was...um...
你有没有跟14岁的小女孩
You ever try talking to a 14‐year‐old girl
视频聊天过
on FaceTime?
妈的 我希望你说的是你孩子
Goddamn, I hope that was one of your kids.
我的小女儿
My youngest.
这很艰难
It was rough.
不过与其沉湎其中
But instead of dwelling on that,
搞清楚我以前是谁 现在是谁
and what it means for who I am and have been,
是丈夫还是父亲
as a man, husband and father,
我不如去搞清楚校长把这20万
I'm gonna get on figuring out what Headmaster Kessel did
拿去干嘛了
with that missing 200k.
真是莫大的荣幸
This is such an honor.
有创意的人对我来说
Creative people have always been
总是很特别 就像是迷
so mystifying and special to me.
可能是因为我妈老是叫我
Perhaps because my mother always told me
离他们远一点
to keep away from them.
是啊 我妈以前也说了很多
Yeah, my mother used to say things.
为阿克斯工作
And working for Axe‐‐
看他思维运转的速度
the speed at which his mind operates,
他的大脑能包容的东西
the vastness of what it can hold,
他识别和奖励人才的方式
the way he recognizes and rewards talent‐‐
能激发你的最佳潜力
it can bring out the best in you.
甚至你都不知道自己还有这种能力
Things you didn't even know you were capable of.
另外 还有金钱奖励
Plus, the money!
谢谢你带我进来
Thanks for showing me in.
嘿 伙计 你要是想哭什么的
Hey, if you want to cry or something, man,
尽管哭好了
go right ahead.
我不会戴有色眼镜的 只有爱
I got no judgments, nothing but love.
喂 阿克斯
Hey, Axe.
嘿 伙计 我做不到
Hey, look, man. I can't do this.
这不是我的行事风格
It's not how I work.
没事没事 我理解
No, no, yeah, yeah, I understand.
我估计你会这么说
I expected this call.
你等着 我们一起吃个饭 然后再详谈
Hang in, we'll break some bread and we'll get into it.
好的好的
Yeah, alright. Alright.
没事了
* It's alright
阿克斯 你什么时候过来
Axe, when are you coming down?
我在做好吃的意式冰淇淋
I'm making a great gelato.
快了 听我说
Soon. But in the meantime, listen,
我派人去取一些派带走
剧集 | 亿万 | 导航列表