剧集 | 律师本色(1997) | 导航列表
喝一两杯含酒精的饮料
can help fight heart disease.
可以防止心脏疾病
Evidence is now coming in
现在有证据表明
that it can even promote mental health
那甚至可以促进心理健康
and possibly prevent Alzheimer's.
可能还能预防老年痴呆症
Some doctors are recommending to their patients
一些医生向病人推荐
that they consume moderate amounts of alcohol
他们摄入适量的酒精
to promote general health,
去促进健康
well-being, and longevity.
幸福和长寿
Is the defendant testifying
被告出庭作证是来讲故事的吗?
in the narrative?
被告出庭作证是来讲故事的吗?
Mr. Carroll,
Carroll先生
a young man died here.
可一个年轻人死了
And it's a tragedy.
这是个悲剧
My heart goes out to his family.
我很同情他的家人
I had a nephew who was killed
我有个侄子
by a drunk driver,
被一个醉酒的司机撞死了
and I'm angry about it to this day.
至今我都很气愤
But I'll tell you,
但我跟你说
this country as a whole
这整个国家
is vigilant about this.
都对此保持警惕
We have mothers against drunk drivers.
有母亲们反对酒后驾车
We have PSAs on every channel.
每个电视频道都有公益广♥告♥
In our own advertisements,
在我们自己的广♥告♥里
we warn about drinking and driving.
我们也对酒后驾车提出警示
This isn't some obscure,
这不是什么晦涩难懂的事
latent peril lurking in the bushes.
是那种隐藏很深的潜在危险
The message on irresponsible drinking is out there,
关于不负责任饮酒的教训到处都是
and it's been out there for many, many years.
已经存在了很多很多年了
Our industry...
我们这个产业
has spent millions of dollars on that message.
为这些教训付出了数百万计美元
And I'll tell you something else
我还要告诉你一件
the majority of Americans get it.
大多数美国人都明白的事
Objection!
反对!
Mr. Grundel, you need to ask your client a question.
Grundel先生,你必须要向你的当事人提一个问题
He only need respond to that question.
他只需回答那个问题即可
Mr. Carroll, what about the specific problem
Carroll先生,关于未成年人饮酒的特定问题
of underage drinking?
你们做了些什么?
We fund numerous educational awareness programs
我们比任何其他行业更多地
more than any other industry.
向大量教育宣传项目提供资助
We pay to train vendors not to sell to kids.
我们花钱培训零售商们不要卖♥♥酒给孩子们
We agree with the law which raises
我们支持将法定饮酒年龄
the legal drinking age from 18 to 21.
从18岁提高到21岁的法规
And let's think about that.
让我们想一想
You can vote, you can fight in a war,
你可以投票,可以参战
you're considered an adult for the purpose of the law
就法律而言,你在18岁时就在各个方面
in every single way at the age of 18
被认为是成年人了
and we still say,
但我们还在说
"Whoa. We're gonna make you wait
“哇,我们要让你再等上三年才能喝酒”
an additional three years
“哇,我们要让你再等上三年才能喝酒”
before you can drink."
“哇,我们要让你再等上三年才能喝酒”
Why?
为什么呢?
Because we recognize the need
因为我们认识到
for maturity and responsibility.
成熟和责任感的必要性
In fact, the only thing left for us to do
实际上,我们唯一能做的就是
would be to ban alcohol altogether.
完全禁止饮酒
We tried that in this country once
在这个国家曾经尝试过一次
and it didn't work.
但没有作用
DONNELL: Run that by me again.
把情况再跟我说一遍
FRUTT: It's not as crazy as it sounds.
没有听起来那么离谱
DONNELL: Just the same, once more.
就照原样再说一遍
Okay.
好吧
She stops taking the meds,
她停止了服药
in which case she regresses quickly,
那种情况下她病情很快反复了
I might add, according to the doctors.
我要补充一句,根据医生的说法
Once she becomes schizophrenic again,
一旦她又得了精神分♥裂♥症
we get the diagnosis of insanity.
我们可以得到精神错乱的诊断
Supreme Court has expressly held
最高法♥院♥已明确地坚持
the Eighth Amendment prohibits executing the insane.
第八修正案禁止处决精神失常的犯人
They also held you can force-medicate
他们也可以坚持说可以强制♥服♥药
to make a person sane.
以使人保持清醒状态
STRINGER: They upheld forced medication
他们坚持强制用药
to make a defendant competent for trial.
是为了使被告有资格出庭受审
Not necessarily for punishment.
未必是为了给予惩处
FRUTT: Bobby, I can't think of anything else.
Bobby,我想不出别的办法了
You want to take her off the meds?
你想让她停药?
FRUTT: And try and stop the execution
试着以她精神失常为由阻止执行死刑
on the grounds that she's insane.
试着以她精神失常为由阻止执行死刑
At a minimum, it could buy us time.
至少,能给我们争取时间
The death penalty is vulnerable.
死刑是可以被动摇的
Time is time.
就是时间问题
What do we have to lose?
我们能有什么损失呢?
YOUNG: How much money does the alcohol industry
制酒行业一年可以赚多少钱?
make per year?
制酒行业一年可以赚多少钱?
A lot.
很多
You're a major manufacturer.
你们是一个主要的厂商
I'm sure you can get more specific
我相信你能说得比“很多”更具体些
than "a lot," can't you, Mr. Carroll?
可以吗, Carroll先生?
It's in the billions.
有几十亿吧
It's close to $120 billion a year,
一年接近1200亿
$120 billion.
1200亿呀
Which contributes to a healthier
那有助于促进美国的经济,Young先生
U.S. economy, Mr. Young,
那有助于促进美国的经济,Young先生
and employs hundreds of thousands of Americans.
而且这个行业雇用了数以十万计的美国人
Thank you for that.
那真是要谢谢你们了
And how much money does your company
你的公♥司♥花了多少钱
spend to build or contribute
用于建设或者资助戒酒所?
to treatment facilities for alcohol abuse?
spend to build or contribute
用于建设或者资助戒酒所?
We make beer, Mr. Young.
我们生产啤酒,Young先生
We're not in the hospital business.
不是从事医疗事业
The answer is zero?
答案是零吗?
CARROLL: No, it is not.
不是的
We donate a great deal of money to prevention programs.
我们为预防项目捐了很多钱
A great deal? More or less than 1%
很多钱?和你们用在
of what you spend promoting alcohol use?
提倡饮酒方面的钱的百分之一相比,是多还是少?
Hey, since it's voluntary--
喂,那可是自愿捐的。。。
Less than 1%?
比百分之一还少?
I'd have to check the figures.
我得查一查数据
Well, I have some figures.
好吧,我有一些数据
Your industry takes in a hundred and twenty billion a year,
你们的行业每年赚1200亿美金
fifteen million Americans struggle with alcoholism--
1500万美国人陷入酗酒问题中。。。
Look, our product is only dangerous
听着,我们的产品只有在过度饮用的时候才有危险
when used excessively.
听着,我们的产品只有在过度饮用的时候才有危险
So as aspirin, for that matter.
就像阿司匹林一样
Aspirin?
阿司匹林?
You're just like aspirin?
你喜欢阿司匹林吗?
You understand my point, Counsel.
你知道我什么意思,律师
When used responsibly--
理性使用的话。。。
Do you advertise to young people?
你针对年轻人做广♥告♥吗?
Not underage, we don't.
不针对未成年人
Your key target demo is 21 to 25-year-olds, isn't it?
你的主要目标是21到25岁的孩子,不是吗?
Which is perfectly legal.
这是完全合法的
What research do you do to make sure
你做了什么研究得以确信
those ads intended for 21-year-olds
那些针对21岁年轻人的广♥告♥
don't influence 19-year-olds?
不会影响到19岁的年轻人呢?
Look-- Are you aware, sir,
- 是这样的。。。
- 先生,你知道
that underage kids are drinking your beer?
那些未成年的孩子在喝你们的啤酒吗?
We take every step to ensure that doesn't happen,
我们采取一切措施确保这不会发生
but parents have to take some responsibility.
但家长们必须承担一些责任
YOUNG: You're aware...
剧集 | 律师本色(1997) | 导航列表