剧集 | 镀金时代(2022) | 导航列表
They think he'll be wiped out in a matter of days.
而这个女孩在她父亲破产后
And the girl is not perfect enough
也将无以为继
to survive her father's ruin.
我不能娶没有钱的女人
I can't marry without money.
我必须得到更多的钱
I must have more money.
-你会找到其他女人的 -也许吧
- You'll find another one. - Maybe.
那不重要
That's not the point.
她本来那么完美
She was perfect.
斯科特小姐
Miss Scott?
但你在信中说你是一个秘书
But in your letter, you said that you're a secretary.
如假包换 我是范莱茵夫人的秘书
So I am. To a Mrs. Van Rhijn.
但你没说你是个...
But you never mentioned you were...
我不确定今天能与你会面
I'm not sure we can see you today.
但卡尔顿来信说他想见面
But Mr. Carlton's letter said he wanted to meet.
你想从我们这里得到什么
What is it you expect of us?
我希望你们的编辑能出版我的短篇小说
I'd like your editor to publish my short stories.
这不够清楚吗
Wasn't that clear?
在《基♥督♥教倡导者》上吗
In "The Christian Advocate"?
真的吗
Really?
难道有规定禁止刊登像我这样的人
Is there a rule against publishing the work
写的小说吗
of people like me?
没有明令禁止
Well, not a rule.
我是贵社的忠实读者
I read your magazine a lot.
我喜欢你们的社论
I like your editorials.
我还喜欢最近读到
And I liked a recent article
贵社的一篇关于平权重要性的社论
about the importance of equal rights.
我想亲自来试试
I want to test it.
卡尔顿先生很忙
Mr. Carlton is very busy.
不一定有时间见你
I doubt he'll have time for you.
但你大可以在这里等
But you're free to wait.
我会的
I will.
奥布里先生
Mr. Aubrey.
是我
Yes.
夫人在家吗
Is Mrs. Russell at home?
她在客厅 老爷 还有莫里斯夫人也在
She's in the drawing room, sir, with Mrs. Morris.
是吗
Is she indeed?
那我还是不打扰了
I won't disturb them.
我不明白
I do not understand.
你是说我该干涉
You are suggesting I should interfere
我丈夫的事业吗
in my husband's business?
"干涉"有点说得太过了
"Interfere" makes it sound so very bad.
看来帕特里克和其他议员
It seems that Patrick and the other aldermen
算错了
have miscalculated.
他们以为股票会下跌
They thought the stock would go down.
但反而上涨了
But they have gone up.
你已经清晰地概括了股市交易的本质
You have neatly encapsulated the nature of dealing in stock.
你试图预测它们的走向
You try to guess which way they'll go.
猜对了你就赚钱
If you're right, you make money.
猜错了就亏钱
And if you get it wrong, you don't.
我当然知道这点
Of course I know that.
那你到底想让我做什么
So what is it you want me to do?
我希望你能让他高抬贵手
I want you to ask him to show a little pity.
手下留情
To show mercy.
不好意思 但这到底是为了什么
Forgive me, but this is in payment for what?
我不明白你的意思
I don't understand.
你来到我的房♥子 提出一个奇怪的要求
You come into my house, you make this strange request,
我只是想知道为什么
and I'm trying to establish why.
你是觉得我欠了你什么吗
Do you feel I owe a debt of gratitude?
你做过什么事 要让我感恩戴德吗
Have you granted me a favor that merits a return?
-没有 -确实没有
- No. - No.
莫里斯夫人 我不愿对你说教
Mrs. Morris, I hesitate to teach the basics,
但生活就像一个银行账户
but life is like a bank account.
如果不提前存款 你就写不了支票
You cannot write a check without first making a deposit.
莫里斯夫人要离开了
Mrs. Morris is leaving.
好的 夫人
Yes, ma'am.
你可以见卡尔顿先生了
Mr. Carlton will see you now.
请进我办公室吧 斯科特小姐
Won't you come into my office, Miss Scott?
抱歉让你久等了
I apologize for making you wait.
当我从亚伦口中得知你是那个作者时
When Aaron informed me that you were the writer,
-我们需要想个方案 -明白了
- we needed a strategy. - I see.
首先我要问你一个问题
First, I have a question for you.
那些小说真是你写的吗
Did you really write these stories?
你说什么
I'm sorry?
这些小说结构优美 情节生动
They are beautifully constructed and executed.
受到了广泛的好评和推荐
They came back with the strongest recommendations.
我只是想确定是你本人写的
And I want to be sure you wrote them.
确实是
I did.
那你一定天赋异禀
Then you're very talented.
谢谢
Thank you.
正如我信件中所说
As I stated in my letter,
我们想要出版其中一篇小说
we would like to publish one of them.
那太好了
That's wonderful.
我真是受宠若惊
In fact, it's amazing, really.
哪一篇呢
Which one?
我们想从住在海湾边的小女孩
We'll start with the story about the little girl
那篇小说开始发表
who lives by the bay.
我们还希望你能进行几处调整
Now, there are adjustments we'd ask you to make
让我们的读者更好地接受你的作品
so that your work is more palatable to our readers.
没问题
Of course.
我们希望那个黑人小女孩能够修改为
The little colored girl would need to be changed
一个穷苦的白人小孩
to a poor white child.
为什么呢
But why?
我们的读者无法与
Our readers will not identify
黑人女孩的救赎故事感同身受
with a colored girl's story of redemption.
但你说我的小说受到了
But you said my stories came back
广泛的好评和推荐
with the strongest recommendations.
那些评价是白人给的吗
Were those from white people?
当然
Of course.
那难道他们的反馈不能代表
But then wouldn't their reaction be indicative
你们的读者吗
of your readers?
为什么你们要修改这么重要的部分
Why would you change an integral part of the story?
因为这会让我们损失
Because it would cost us
南方的一大部分读者
most of our readership in the South.
我个人也不赞同当下的社会制度
I don't approve of the system, I can say that.
但一旦读者流失了 他们就再也不会回来
But once gone, those people would not be back.
我明白了
I see.
你说"几处调整"
You said "adjustments."
我还需要做什么改变 才能被出版
Well, what other changes must I make to be published?
你的名字没问题
Your name is fine.
看不出你的背景
It does not suggest anything about your background,
所以这个可以保留
so we can keep it.
但你的种族必须保密
But your race would have to remain concealed.
这要怎么操作
How would that work?
我们会让你签一份文件 接受我们的条款
We'd have you sign a document that you accept our policy,
这样你就不能向公众透露
which would prevent you from divulging publicly
你是我们今后可能发布的小说的作家
that you are the writer of any stories we might publish.
我自己的小说都不行吗
My own stories?
一旦我们购入 那些就成了我们的小说
Once we buy them, they would be ours.
那么...
So...
你理解我说的意思吗
you understand what I'm saying?
-理解了 -很好
- I think so. - Good.
《基♥督♥教倡导者》让我撒谎
"The Christian Advocate" is asking me to lie.
这是我能给的最好条件
It's the best arrangement I can offer.
你会收到丰厚稿费
You'd be paid handsomely.
比任何有色人种出版社给的都多
More than you could make at any colored publication.
这点我懂
I realize that.
现在至少有两个男人坐在酒吧角落
There at least two white men sitting at a bar
借酒浇愁 暗自伤神
around the corner drinking away their sorrows
因为我拒绝了他们
because I turned them down.
他们做梦都希望处在你现在的位置
They'd kill to be in your position.
但他们绝不会落入我这种境地
剧集 | 镀金时代(2022) | 导航列表