对不起
Ah, sorry.
旧习难改
Old habits.
你不喜欢吗
You don't like it?
没啊 我只是
No. It's just...
我还记得你对当工程师
I just remember how excited you were
是多么兴奋
about studying to become an engineer,
还有你♥爸♥爸有多高兴
how happy it made your dad.
校方在我退学的时候
Well, the school took away my scholarship
拿走了我的奖学金 所以...
when I dropped out, so...
没了奖学金 确实也没办法回去了
so without that, can't exactly go back.
是啊
Yeah.
说来有趣 我忍♥不住在想
It's funny, it's like I can't help wondering
我们今早是不是注定遇见的
if we were supposed to run into each other this morning.
我和我的搭档
My partner and me,
对这个地方有宏伟的计划
we have big plans for this place,
而且我相信任何给我们投资的人
and I know that anyone that invests with us
都会大赚
is gonna double their money.
至少翻两倍
Like, at least.
你是想向我借钱吗
Are you asking me for a loan?
不 我只是提供给你一个合作机会
No, I'm-I'm offering you an opportunity.
因为你一直对我很好
And you were always so good to me.
当我父亲生病时
You know? You... you held my hand
你一直支持我
when Dad got sick.
现在我只是觉得 也许我能报答你
Now I just, you know, maybe I can pay you back a little.
看 我甚至在后面的房♥间
Hey, I even found this little
找到一处地方可以挂他的照片
spot in the back room to hang his picture.
这样他就能一直在那里了
You know, just so he can always be there, always.
你需要多少钱
So, how much do you need?
如果你想找夏洛克 他在楼下
If you're looking for Sherlock, he's downstairs.
好的
Okay.
我现在就去
I will go there now.
他的名字叫哈伦·林珀
His name is Harlan Emple.
他是哥伦比亚大学应用数学的
He is the Rachel P. Hanson Professor
瑞秋·P·汉森荣誉教授
for Applied Mathematics at Columbia University,
同时也是亨廷顿研究所的代数几何
and holder of the Smithfield Endowed Chair
方面的史密斯菲尔德客座教授
of Algebraic Geometry at the Huntington Institute.
他来这里是帮你弄清数学公式的含义
And he is here to help you make sense
这个我明白
of the equations you found. Okay, I get that.
我不明白的是他为什么光着上身
What I don't get is why he isn't wearing a shirt.
每一位伟大的智者都有自己的习惯 华生
Every great thinker has a process, Watson.
对哈伦来说 他不喜欢任何东西
In Harlan's case, he doesn't like anything
挡在他和数字之间
to come between him and the numbers.
我知道你觉得这种事很难理解
I know you can feel quite Victorian about such matters,
所以我已经提醒过他
so I've given him a little bell to ring
看他觉得是否有必要全♥裸♥
should he feel the need to disrobe entirely.
虽然这么说了 我还是不能保证
Having said that, I can't guarantee
他不会坐在家具上
he won't sit on the furniture.
你是怎么认识他的来着
How do you know him again?
1999年 他设计了一种数学模型
In 1999, he devised a mathematical model
他认为可以精确预测
which he believed could accurately predict
纽约市区及其周边的犯罪模式
crime patterns in and around New York City.
最终 没有成功
Ultimately, didn't work,
但我觉得这个设想非常有趣
but I found the premise quite fascinating.
从那以后我们一直保持联♥系♥
We've been corresponding ever since.
你真觉得这家伙是因为数学而被杀的吗
Do you really think this guy was killed over math?
索托先生显然很费力地
Mr. Soto obviously went to
隐藏他的计算过程
great lengths to conceal his calculations.
至于它们是否有实际价值
Whether they have any real value,
或只是数学狂人随便写的数字
or are just the numerical ramblings of a math-obsessed madman,
就由哈伦来定夺了
is for Harlan to determine.
要煎蛋吗
Eggs?
不 谢了
Uh, no, thanks.
我在想我能不能
Hey, I was wondering if it was possible
预支一下我的薪水
to get an advance on my salary.
预支多少
Define "advance".
五千块
$5,000.
我今早遇到了一个熟人
I ran into someone this morning.
他是我一位老友的儿子
He's the son of an old friend of mine.
他在尝试创业
He's trying to get this business off the ground.
我觉得该帮帮他
I thought I'd help him out.
我刚刚缴了一笔个人退休金
I just maxed out on my IRA contributions,
所以没法把钱拿回来
so I cannot take money back,
否则会有巨额罚款
otherwise I will get massive penalties.
你一定是很信任这个年轻人
You must really believe in this young man.
我想看他尝试一下
Well, I'd like to see him take a shot at this.
其实不是这么回事 是吗
Not quite the same thing, though, is it?
夏洛克 我知道方程式是什么了
Sherlock! I know what the formula is!
它是个骗局
And it is a doozy.
首先你们需要知道的是
Okay, so the first thing you need to know
写出这个的家伙是个天才
is that the guy who wrote this was a genius.
是家伙们
Guys with an "s".
有两位数学家参与这个
There were two mathematicians at work here.
一位是已故的菲利克斯·索托
One was Felix Soto.
这部分的等式跟
These parts of the equation are a match
我从他家找来的手写样本字体相符
for handwriting samples I took from his home.
这些涂鸦则是出自尚不知道身份的另一个男人
These scribbles are from another man yet to be identified.
你怎么知道是个男的
How-how do you know it was a man?
这里的字迹并不一致
There is an inconsistency to the gradient here.
有些字母向右倾斜 其他的向左
Some of the letters slant to the right, others to the left.
还有 这里字母"P"和
Also, the stem of the "P" here
"D"的起笔是个圈而不是折回的
and the "D" here are looped instead of doubled back.
不能保证写字者是男性
It doesn't guarantee the writer was male,
起码也八♥九♥不离十
but it's a strong indicator.
好吧 那这些家伙们是天才
Fine. Then these guys are geniuses.
重点是 我知道他们在干嘛
The point is, I know what they were working on.
这是P对NP问题
It's P versus NP!
P对NP问题是计算机科学领域的最大难题
关系到计算机完成一项任务的速度到底有多快
拜托 这是数学史上最著名的难题之一
Come on, it's one of the most famous problems in math history.
哈伦 如果我们是数学家的话
Harlan, if we were mathematicians,
那还让你来干嘛
you would not be here.
最简单的说 P对NP是说是否每个
In simplest terms, P versus NP asks if every problem
能在计算机上验证其解决方法的问题
whose solution can be quickly verified by a computer can also
也能借助计算机很快地解决出来
be quickly solved by a computer.
听起来很简单 对吗 实际上不是
Sounds innocent enough, right? Only it's not.
它是难解之谜
It is filthy.
一些专家甚至用理论证明它解决不了
Some experts have even theorized that it can't be solved.
-它会成为凶手的动机吗 -得看情况
- Could it be a motive for murder? - That depends.
你觉得一百万美金能成为凶手的动机吗
You think a million dollars could be a motive for murder?
不好意思 你是说这玩意值一百万
I'm sorry. You're saying this is worth a million dollars?
不 但是很接近了
No, but it is getting there.
我是说 这是我所见过的
I mean, this is the farthest
解决P对NP中离结果最接近的
I have ever seen anyone take P versus NP.
如果让我猜的话 我敢说
I mean, if I... if I had to guess, I would say
他们俩再有几个月 甚至几周就能解出来了
that these guys are months, maybe weeks from solving it.
但是谁会为了一个数学难题的
But who would pay a million dollars
解法付一百万呢
for the solution to a mathematical problem?
罗德岛上的克雷数学研究所
The Clay Mathematics Institute in Rhode Island.
他们是一家致力于传播数学的非盈利机构
They're a non-profit dedicated to promoting math interest.
但他们最有名的是
But the thing that they are most famous for
旗下的千禧技术奖
is The Millennium Prizes.
他们向能够解决世界上七大最难问题之一的
They offer a million dollars to anyone who can solve
任何人提供一百万的奖金
just one of the seven hardest problems in the world.
P对NP问题就是其中之一
And P versus NP is one of the seven.
我们知道死者 索托 有一位搭档
We know that the dead man, Soto, was working with a partner.
而且你说过索托的邻居几个晚上前
And you said that Soto's neighbor heard him arguing
听到他和另一个男人在争吵
with another man a few nights ago.
或许他的搭档觉得
Perhaps the partner thought
他可以自己解决问题
he could complete the problem himself.
从而独享奖金
Take the prize money without having to share it.
值得一提的是
For what it's worth,
剧集 | 福尔摩斯:基本演绎法 | 导航列表