剧集 | 国务卿女士 | 导航列表
He said you rejected him.
说你对待他就像对待一个废人一样
That you treated him like he was a failure.
他说那是最让他感到心痛的事
He said it was the worst pain he'd ever felt.
莫林 从没 从没有这样
Maureen, that... that never happened.
你是说我父亲撒谎了吗
Are calling Patrick McCord a liar?
不是 我是说你可能误会了
No, I'm saying that maybe you misunderstood.
不 他说得很清楚
No, he was very clear.
已经过去挺长时间了
It was a while ago.
不过是真的
But it happened.
这次在他最不幸的时候
And at the lowest point of his life,
如果他找你帮忙
if he reached out to you
你却又一次拒绝了他
and you turned your back on him again...
那他就太悲惨了
that would be the worst thing.
比失去所有的财产都惨 比死都惨
Worse than losing all his money. Worse than death.
所有他都没去尝试 直接就...
So he didn't even try. Instead he just...
睡过去了
went to sleep.
我们现在都会说
And we can all say that
会尽一切努力帮助他
we would've done anything to help him,
只是我们当初没发现
that we couldn't see the signs.
我们想怎么说都行 可是为时已晚
We can say whatever we want now, because it's too late.
我觉得
But I say...
我觉得他是因为你才死的
I say he's dead because of you.
你想去走走吗
You want to go for a walk?
我在弗吉尼亚大学的第一年 觉得很难适应
My first year at UVA, I was working so hard to fit in.
我觉得我不属于那里
I just did not feel like I belonged there.
你当时才17岁 从没离开过家
Well, you were 17, you'd never been away from home.
家长周末的时候我父亲来了
My dad came to Parent's Weekend.
我带他看了我们的校园和宿舍
I showed him the campus, my dorm.
他还是那个风格
He was his typical self--
说房♥间太小了 水压不够
the room's too small, the water pressure's too low,
他想知道是不是因为我是用奖学金交学费
he wanted to know did they give me a third-class berth
所以才分到了三等的床铺
'cause I was a scholarship kid?
你老爸 从来不会
Well, your dad, never one to be
吝啬发表自己的观点
stingy with his opinions.
那晚有个晚餐会
There was a big dinner that night,
增进父子交流的
father and son thing.
我班上所有的同学都去了
All the guys in my class were going.
可我甚至都没告诉他有这个事
I didn't even tell him it was happening.
我当时就是怕他会闹出什么事来
That's how nervous I was he'd make a scene.
他可能会质问和我一桌的领导们
He'd start quizzing the big shots at my table
说他们对待员工太差了
about how badly they treated their workers.
现在想想太可笑了
It seems crazy now,
可是当时觉得如果在晚餐会上出丑
but being embarrassed at that dinner
简直就是世界末日
felt like it would end my world.
所以 我们出了校园去别的地方吃的晚饭
So, we were walking off-campus to grab dinner in town.
可是我拐错了一个弯
I took a wrong turn.
我们就来到了大厅 那里挂着横幅
There we were at the hall. There was a big banner.
同学们都跟他们的父亲一起进去
All the guys were going in with their dads.
他们看上去
And they looked like...
和平常一样
what they were.
举止得体的绅士 年轻的宇宙主宰者
Proper gentlemen. Young masters of the universe.
我转过头来 我父亲停下了脚步
I looked over. My dad had stopped walking.
抬头看着横幅
Looked up at the banner.
还有一对对父子
All the boys with their fathers.
我永远也忘不了他当时的表情
And I'll never forget the look on his face.
他知道我是怕他给我丢人
He knew I was ashamed of him.
这就是他跟莫林说的事
That's what he told Maureen.
你跟他谈过这件事吗
Did you ever talk to him about it?
是的 过后几年我跟他道过几次歉
Yeah, I tried to apologize a few times over the years.
他表现得像是已经不记得了 可并不是那样
He acted like he didn't remember, but he did.
我一直在想
I keep thinking...
如果他上周给我打电♥话♥
maybe when he called last week,
我或许会再次跟他说对不起
should I have tried again to say I was sorry
让他听我解释
and really made him listen?
你觉得他是不是就需要这样一个契机
Do you think maybe that was the opening he needed
来开口向我寻求帮助
to ask for my help?
我觉得他知道你爱他
I think he knew you loved him.
他也知道你成长为了一个善良的人 亨利
And he knew that you'd grow up to be a good man, Henry.
所以你得原谅十七岁的自己
So I think you have to forgive that 17-year-old boy,
那个年少轻狂思虑不周的男孩
who was young and thoughtless.
就算不为其他
If for no other reason,
你就当练习练习
you'll need the practice
准备好有一天
to forgive Jason someday
杰森也这样对你的时候 原谅他
when he does something like that.
我觉得你♥爸♥打电♥话♥给你的确是有原因的
I think your dad did call for a reason.
但不是为了找你帮忙
Not to ask for help.
我觉得他只是想知道
I think he needed to know
你们俩有一个美好的结束
that you two were ending on a good note.
他是在向我道别
He was saying good-bye to me.
爸
Hey, Dad.
小杰 准备好了吗
Hi, Jace. You ready?
差不多了
Yeah, almost.
我很抱歉那天
I'm really sorry about the way
那样跟你说话
I talked to you the other day.
没事
It's okay.
我也抱歉因为上大学的事情取笑你
I'm sorry I made fun of you about college.
我不想像你一样
I don't want to be like you.
我也不想跟我老爸一样 我懂的
I didn't want to be like my old man either. I get it.
我是说 像你和爷爷一样
I mean, like you and Grandpa.
我不想在你去世的时候还在和你争吵
I don't want to be fighting with you when you die.
我们不会那样的 我保证
I'm not gonna let that happen, I promise.
我和我爸的确不亲近
It's true, my dad and I weren't close.
我们总是意见相左...
We didn't see eye to eye on...
好吧 就没一件事达成共识的
well, anything.
但是我希望你可以告诉我你的想法
But I want you to feel like you can talk to me.
我会倾听
And I'll listen.
这才是...
That's really the...
...万事的关键
...key to everything.
主赐福于你 予你庇护
The Lord bless you and keep you.
主为你照亮前路 仁慈待你
The Lord let his face shine upon you and be gracious to you.
主温柔地俯瞰你 赐你安宁
The Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace.
阿门
Amen.
阿门
Amen.
在仪式开始之前
Before we begin the commendation,
帕特里克的儿子亨利想讲几句
Patrick's son, Henry, has asked to say a few words
来悼念他的父亲
in remembrance of his father.
在我爸爸的厌恶榜上排名第二的东西
The thing my dad hated second most in the world
是餐厅
was a restaurant.
"为什么要大老远开车去吃陌生人做的饭
"Why drive to some place and have a stranger cook you food
明明在家吃便宜又美味"
when you can have it better and cheaper at home?"
排第一的是婚礼
The thing he hated most was a wedding.
"为什么要在还不确定婚姻能否持久的时候
"Why would you spend all that money
花那么大一笔钱
when the marriage might not even work out?
结婚十年后再来办婚宴"
Stay married for ten years, and then have a party."
可能我说这些会让你们误会我爸
Maybe I'm giving you the wrong idea about my dad.
他讨厌餐厅和婚礼
He hated restaurants and weddings,
但他喜欢美食
but he loved a good meal.
他也相信婚姻
And he believed in marriage.
他只是不明白大家为何要如此大张旗鼓
He just didn't see the point in all the fanfare.
所以我估计
So I think it's a pretty safe bet
我们今天在这里为他大办葬礼
that he would not be too happy
他肯定不会开心
with what we're doing here today.
我爸是个骄傲的人
My dad was a proud man.
他不愿让别人看到
He didn't believe in showing
他的脆弱
any vulnerability to the world,
我们大家也都遗传了这一点
and he passed that on to all of us.
这基本上没什么坏处 但它也让我们有所失
It mostly served us well, but it robbed us, too.
它让我们失去了...
It robbed us of the gift of...
接受别人帮助的天性
letting someone else lend a hand,
还有将最脆弱的时刻
the gift of letting someone you love
展现给我们深爱之人的天性
剧集 | 国务卿女士 | 导航列表