剧集 | 国务卿女士 | 导航列表
你沉默得引人注目
you are conspicuous by your silence.
我想听听你的意见
I'd like your input,
作为一名海军陆战队员和一名伦理学家
as a Marine and an ethicist.
总统先生
Well, Mr. President,
我认为一个生命应该被宏观的评价
I think a life has to be looked at in toto.
佩利出色得完成了142次飞行任务
Paley flew 142 missions with distinction.
历经三年作战 他达到了极限
After three years in combat, he reached his breaking point.
但他没有突破极限 他犯错了
But he didn't break. He bent.
他应该被嘉奖
Which would urge
而非谴责
commendation, not censure.
如果他女儿的不懈努力
What kind of message would it send
换来的是这等指责
if his daughter's tireless efforts were rewarded
我们将给公众传达什么样的信息
with this kind of rebuke?
所以
So...
恻隐之心大于事实经过
compassion over... process.
就此事来看
In this instance,
那就是我的建议 没错
that would be my recommendation, yes.
这不是一个学术问题
This is not an academic matter.
它会产生一定的后果
It has consequences.
如果不遵从命令 会有人牺牲
If you don't follow orders, people die.
如果不惩罚擅离职守者
If you don't punish deserters,
他们将继续玩忽职守
they desert.
同样 如果无视英勇事迹
And if you don't recognize heroism,
会让英雄却步
you discourage heroics.
也许吧 但是作为三军总司令
Maybe. But as commander in chief,
我身上负有严格执行军事制度的重任
it falls to me to enforce military protocol.
制度优先
That takes precedence.
抱歉 贝丝
I'm sorry, Bess.
戈登 你负责通知佩利女士
Gordon, you'll have to inform Ms. Paley.
是的 阁下
Yes, sir.
如果没问题的话...
If it's all right with you...
当然
Of course.
没问题
It's fine.
总统先生
Mr. President.
在看什么
What you watching?
我的威廉叔叔
My Uncle William.
这是他留给我们唯一的影像
It's the only footage we have of him.
就在他出海之前
Right before he shipped out.
我能...
Can I...?
当然
Yeah.
你知道吗 威廉叔叔在他高三那年
Did you know that Uncle William was scouted by
被华盛顿参议员棒球队看中
the Washington Senators his senior year of high school?
-真的吗 -真的
- Was he really? - ?Yep.
-哇哦 -他们还准备在他打完仗回家那天
- Wow. - ?They offered him a minor league contract
跟他签订小职业球队联盟合同
for the day he got home from the war.
生命有太多值得追寻的东西
So much to live for.
甜甜圈 还是热的
Doughnuts. They're still hot.
-爸爸 -再见
- Hi, Dad. - ?Bye.
再见
Bye.
-要去哪 -出门 我会回来的
- Where you going? - Out. I'll be back.
好的 甜心
Okay, sweetheart.
不 我们还没吃晚饭
No. We haven't had dinner yet.
你不想吃甜甜圈 出什么事了
You don't want a doughnut? What's wrong?
戴维·佩利
David Paley.
真♥相♥会让他女儿心碎的
The truth is going to break his daughter's heart.
确实
Yes, it will.
给我一个瞒着她的理由
So give me the case for keeping her in the dark.
好吧
Well...
阿奎奈提出
Aquinas suggested that...
-又是那个家伙 -诚实不是绝对的美德
- Oh, that guy again. - ...honesty wasn't an absolute virtue.
他的观点是
Uh, what he was getting at was that the damage
真♥相♥可能引发的伤害
that truth can inflict
应该纳入道德算法考虑范畴
should be factored into the ethical calculus.
我不是阿奎奈 我是国务卿
Well, I'm not Aquinas, I'm the Secretary of State.
我能做的是不把那位女士蒙在鼓里
And my remit is not to shine that woman on
在她经过73年的等待以后
after 73 years of waiting.
有道理
Fair enough.
但是
But...
可能有缓和打击的办法
there might be a way to soften the blow.
跟佩利上尉的档案有关
It has to do with Captain Paley's file.
不如你先吃个甜甜圈 然后我告诉你这个办法
Why don't you have a doughnut, and I'll tell you about it.
来吧
Come on.
开什么玩笑 我要吃六个
Who are we kidding? I'm gonna have six.
好的 吃六个
Well, have six.
天呐 好吃到想哭
Oh, God. It makes me want to cry.
干得漂亮 贝丝
Great job, Bess.
你为我们的死者争光了
You brought honor to our dead.
所以
So...
为什么一副"我们有麻烦了"的表情
why the "We've got trouble" Face?
这次不是"我们"
Not "We" this time.
是你
Just you.
品钦事件
L'affaire Pynchon.
我花了很长的时间才弄明白
I've been doing this long enough to know the public
公众通常不会让内阁大臣的家人
doesn't usually take cabinet secretaries' families to task
为政♥府♥政策买♥♥单
for administration policies.
这是一个崭新的世界
Well, it's a brave new world.
对 还是一个背信弃义的世界
Yeah, and a treacherous one.
所以我凭着怀疑的直觉行事
So I played a cynical hunch.
派人去调查了那个
Had one of my people dig into the guy
让亨利和斯蒂芬吃闭门羹的家伙
who gave Henry and Stevie the boot.
品钦的所有人特雷弗·本特利
Pynchon owner Trevor Bentley was college roommates
是参议员欧文·卡利斯特的大学室友
with Senator Owen Callister.
没错
Yep.
那也没必要...
Well, that doesn't necessarily...
继续往下读
Keep reading.
他们共用华盛顿首都队的季票
They share season tickets to the Caps.
并且 每个夏天
And... vacation together
一起去雷霍博特度假
every summer in Rehoboth.
看来我得跟这位参议员
Well, it looks like I need to have a little talk
-小谈一下 -我极力反对
- with the senator. - Yeah. I'm gonna urge against that.
他用龌龊的手段对付我的家人 拉塞尔
He took a cheap shot at my family, Russell.
因为他想把你拉下马
Because he wants to draw you out.
知道为什么吗
You know why?
因为他怀疑我要参加竞选
Because he suspects I'm running.
而且他大概也要竞选
And he probably is, too.
这就是他出手的原因
Which is why he's taking shots,
希望你会为自己辩护
hoping you'll defend yourself,
而宣布竞选前你不能这么做
which you can't do until you've declared.
因为国务卿和候选人的身份
Because there's a difference between
有所区别
being a Secretary of State and a candidate.
你将在竞选活动中跟他辩论
You're debating him on the campaign trail,
你可以要求他对任何事情作出说明
you can call him out on anything,
但作为内阁大臣 涉及私事的话
but a cabinet secretary getting personal, well,
带有错误决断的味道 那就中了他的计
that smacks of bad judgment and plays into his hands.
-我必须对此事作出回应 -当然
- I can't let this go unanswered. - ?No.
但你不必亲自回应
But you don't have to be the one who answers.
凯特 请进
Hey, Kat. Come on in.
什么风把你吹来了
To what do I owe the honor?
国务卿的克制吧
Oh, just the Secretary of State's sense of restraint.
什么
I'm sorry?
参议员 你已然是一位
Senator, you've been a vocal critic
道尔顿政♥府♥的批评者
of the Dalton administration.
而且 我会继续这么做
And, uh, I will continue to be so.
我相信你对忠实反对派
I'm assuming you're familiar
这个概念并不陌生
with the concept of loyal opposition?
我非常熟悉 先生
Oh, I'm very familiar with it, sir.
只不过你唯一反对的
Except the only thing you've opposed
是我国的外交政策
is our foreign policy.
贸易协定 和平条约
Yeah, trade deals, peace treaties,
移♥民♥举措
immigration initiatives.
剧集 | 国务卿女士 | 导航列表