剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表
You couldn't find a single warm-blooded centrist to put on the court?
我们有六个 再加上两个坚定的保守派
We've got six of them. Plus two staunch conservatives, plus Justice Ashland...
还有亚叙兰 传达自♥由♥远见的清澈声音
...the one clarion voice articulating a liberal vision.
他总得离开然后呢?
He's gonna go, and then what?
请他进来 长官…
Well, send him in. - Sir...
我说过我要听他说话的
I said I'd listen to him, Toby. That's gonna have to do.
托比 怎样?
Toby. - What?
什么都没发生
Nothing's happening.
就是他? 是的
That's him? - Yeah.
没有三头六臂?
No tail, no cloven hooves?
慕瑞迪法官
Judge Mulready.
谢谢你过来 是我的荣幸
Thanks for coming in. - It's an honor, sir.
请坐
Please.
我听说你和兰恩法官 有一点意见冲突
I understand that you and Judge Lang had a bit of a knockdown-dragout.
她想要让执法联邦化
She wants to federalize law enforcement.
我认为这太轻率了 不是你心目中的法官
I thought it was hasty. - Not your brand of judge.
刚好相反我好久没这么来劲了
The opposite. I haven't had that much fun in months.
真的? 如果可以请用她
Really? - Use her if you can.
我不知道这是什么 我认为有些人
I'm not sure what all this is about. I suppose a number of people...
因为她或我在这里 而感到很安慰
...are placated by a glimpse of someone like her or like me in these halls.
我确实是为这个目的来的
I'm most certainly here for that.
如果你能用她… 不太可能
lf there's any way you can use her... - It's unlikely.
谁排在名单前面?
Who's at the top of the list?
如果我走漏风声谁会相信我?
If I leaked it, would they believe me?
布瑞德雪顿
Brad Shelton.
真的 你不喜欢他
Really. - You don't like him.
他是好法官
He's a fine jurist.
如果卡曼、拉法叶 克拉克和布能翰都死了
And if Carmine, Lafayette, Hoyt, Clark and Brannaghan all drop dead...
中心仍旧会巩固得很好
...the center will still be well tended.
你想要另一个布莱迪 当然了
You want another Brady. - Sure.
就像你想要另一个亚叙兰
Just like you'd like another Ashland.
法♥院♥彼此斗争时效果最好
The court was at its best when they were fighting.
很多好的法律都是温和派拟的
Plenty of good law written by the voices of moderation.
是谁撰写非常异议的?
Who writes the extraordinary dissent?
时候未到的单一少数意见 可是20年后
The one-man minority opinion whose time hasn't come, but 20 years later...
某个巡回法♥院♥书♥记♥官 在半夜三点把它挖出来
...some circuit-court clerk digs it up at 3 in the morning.
布瑞南责骂审查制度
Brennan railing against censorship.
哈蓝对于吉姆克罗的悲叹 也许有一天会是你
Harlan's jeremiad on Jim Crow. - Maybe you, someday.
他们不能把我送进法♥院♥的
They can't put me on the court.
就像你不能把兰恩送进法♥院♥
Just like you can't put Evelyn Lang on the court.
是雪顿
It's Sheltons from here on in.
这栋建筑外有四千位抗♥议♥者
There are 4000 protesters outside this building...
担心谁会坐上席位
...worried about who's going to land in that seat.
我们禁不起疏离全部的人
We can't afford to alienate all of them.
我们都有各自的角色要扮演
We all have our roles to play, sir.
而你要提名一位不让民众疏离的人
Yours is to nominate someone who doesn't alienate people.
(星期五早上)
托比呢? 你看得到吗?
Where's Toby? - Can you see this?
可以 是水会干的
Yeah. - It's water, it will dry.
好了 准备好了吗?
Okay. - You ready?
首席大♥法♥官亚叙兰 在最高法♥院♥任职32年
Chief Justice Roy Ashland, having served 32 years on the Supreme Court...
其中12年为首席 即将宣布退休
... 12 of them as chief, will announce his retirement in just a moment.
亨利史塔布退休时 我接到一通电♥话♥
Henry Staub retired, and I received a phone call.
你可能要学走路了
You were probably learning to walk.
接替亨利史塔布的席位 是我的荣耀
It's been an honor to pause in Henry Staub 's chair, a joy to spend these...
他最多会接受三个问题 然后我们就出去了
He'll take three questions at the most, and then we're off.
你准备好了吗?
You ready?
我想是的
That's a yes.
为什么是种族偏好而不是经济偏好?
So why a racial preference and not an economic one?
平权措施是关于种族压♥迫♥的传统
Affirmative action's about a legacy of racial oppression.
它是关于妥协标准 胡扯抱歉
It's about compromising standards. - Bull. Excuse me.
它是关于使机会均等…
It's about leveling the field...
这就是自♥由♥派论调走偏的原因 你还停留在过去
This is where the liberal argument goes off the rails. You get stuck in the past.
你想要回来告诉我 〝成绩是基于过去的表现
Now, you wanna come back at me with: "Grading is based on past performance.
可是入学应该基于潜力 关于候选者如何成功
But admission should be based on potential, on how a candidate may thrive.
研究显示平权措施 具有较高的倾向
And studies show affirmative-action admits have a higher predisposition...
能够贡献社会〞
...to contribute to society."
等等我要写下来
Hang on. I gotta write this down.
我对不能再做这些日常事务 感到很难过
I'm deeply saddened as I give up the daily affair of...
交出来
Hand it over.
托比有个十个月大的女儿
Toby has a daughter, Molly, 10 months old.
她很漂亮而且很聪明
She's a looker, and very bright.
有天他想给她一份由首次担任
And someday he'd like to give her this copy of the 14th Amendment...
这职位女性签名的第14修正案
...signed by the first woman to ever hold this job.
你有笔吗?
Have you got a...?
你可以加上职称吗? 是不是有点言之过早?
Would you mind adding that title? - Well, that's a bit premature, isn't it?
不会
No.
谢谢
Thank you.
总统先生
Mr. President.
走吧
Shall we?
各位先生女士 美国总统
Ladies and gentlemen, the president of the United States.
克里斯多夫慕瑞迪法官
The Honorable Christopher Mulready...
被提名为美国最高法♥院♥助理法官
...nominee for associate justice, United States Supreme Court.
艾芙琳兰恩法官
The Honorable Evelyn Baker Lang...
被提名为美国最高法♥院♥ 首席大♥法♥官
...nominee for chief justice, United States Supreme Court.
现在请各位发问
I look forward to taking your questions.
剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表