剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表
I know that we did.
我也希望自己能做得到
And sometimes I wish I could stick to the theory.
我不希望看到自己的朋友受伤害
I don't like seeing our friends get hurt.
那就别这么做 那要怎么办呢?
Then let's not hurt our friends. - By doing what?
在国家四周围筑起城墙 然后保住那些工作…
Building a wall around the country so we can keep those jobs...
不再创造新的工作机会?
...a bit longer and never create any new ones?
通过法案让大家就算每天打电动 也都不会被炒鱿鱼?
Passing a law that no one can be fired, even if they play video games...
做出这种承诺的话 我一定可以吸引一堆选票
...at their desks all day? I'll get a spike in the polls for that one.
通讯传播工会帮助我们当选
CWA's the reason we're in this room.
他们会宁愿选择一个 支持自♥由♥贸易的共和党员…
And they would prefer a Republican who'd support free trade...
而不支持工作培训跟 取消失业保险?
...then gut job training and eviscerate unemployment insurance?
我们做了承诺
We made a promise.
以前有个叫做肯度的人 他是一个伟大的维京国王…
There was a man named Canute, one of the great Viking kings...
在11世纪的时候
...of the 11 th century.
他希望他的臣民知道 他的能力有限
Wanted his subjects to be aware of his limitations...
所以他把他们带到海边
...so he led them down to the sea...
然后命令海卷起浪潮
...and he commanded that the tide roll out.
结果并没有成功
It didn't.
是谁造成这种错误印象 以为总统可以掌控经济的走向?
Who gave us the notion presidents can move the economy like a play toy?
是谁让大家以为我们能实现 所有的承诺
That we can do more than talk it up...
或是让情势好转?
...or smooth over the rough spots?
那些不过是谎言
It's a lie.
我们欠工会的是真实的情况
What we really owe that union is the truth.
我们告诉大家自♥由♥贸易能创造 高薪的工作机会
We're running around saying free trade creates high-paying jobs.
这是真的
And it will.
可是我想告诉你的是 事情并没有那么简单
But I've been trying to tell you it's not that simple.
我会跟比尔帕森联络
I'll set up a call with Bill Parsons.
如果能扭转时势就好了对吧?
Be nice to roll back that tide, wouldn't it?
是的总统先生
Yes, Mr. President, it sure would.
帮我个忙 什么事?
Do me a favor. - What's that?
开始准备声明稿 声明什么?
Start preparing a statement. - Saying what?
我收回我待会要在简报室说的话
Retracting everything I'm about to say to the room.
午安各位 我得说声抱歉
Good afternoon, folks. I have to apologize.
布鲁塞尔行前记者会 得延迟半小时举♥行♥
The pre-Brussels briefing won't start for a half an hour or so.
发生什么事了?
What happened in here?
我们在调整你们的位置
We're making adjustments to your seating.
调整? 你们都该知道联邦通讯传播委员会…
Adjustments? - You're aware of the FCC's new rules...
关于媒体集团的新规定
...on media ownership.
如同你们所报导的 这是小媒体的大胜利
As you've reported, they're a big victory for the little guy.
如果小媒体代表的是…
If by little, of course, we mean transnational...
亿万资产的集团
...multi-billion-dollar conglomerates.
那么本着失控的民粹主义…
And in that spirit of runaway populism...
白宫简报室从现在开始 每个集团都只提供一个位置
...the White House briefing room will now offer one seat per corporate owner.
所以莫特媒体分到一个位置 奇异电子也是一个位置
One seat for MertMedia, one for GE...
迪士尼、维尔康、新闻集团 克里欧频道、《先锋报》都一样
...one for Disney, Viacom, News Corp, Clear Channel, Tribune...
你们大家就丢铜板决定 谁可以留在位置上
You'll have to flip a coin to see who gets to sit.
为什么这样做?
Why are you doing this?
因为如果美国的选择开始受限 你们也不能例外
Because if America's choices are gonna be restricted, so are yours.
布拉克看看你的财经组 能不能给你一张折叠椅
Brock, see if your business desk will lend you a folding chair.
你们当中的七个人 半小时后见罗
See seven of you in half an hour.
他们还在你办公室
They're still in your office.
喔 他们在干嘛?
Yeah. - What are they doing?
等待
Waiting by the sea.
这是什么?
What's this?
你的外交护照
Your diplomatic passport.
你帮我弄到位置了 没有我把我的给麦肯那了
You got me a seat... - No, I had to give mine to McKenna.
我要跟媒体一起坐
I'm going on the press plane.
至少你努力试过
Well, you tried.
你要跟费兹华利斯和安迪去中东
You're going to the Middle East with Fitzwallace and Andy.
而不是去总统演说你去看看情况 然后回报给我跟托比
No presidential handholding. See what's going on. Brief me and Toby about it.
我做错的不是没有遵守承诺
What I did wrong wasn't breaking my word.
而是给了一个我根本做不到的承诺
It was making a promise I couldn't keep in the first place.
我们砍了简报室里 百分之三九点三七的座位
I understand we lost about 39.37 percent of the seats in the briefing room.
我收回了政♥府♥会把 木工的帐单寄给我
I retracted that. The government will bill me for carpentry.
我知道你是用二乘四的规格
I know you have a two-by-four to pick with the FCC.
你说我可以使用简报室的
You said I could use the briefing room.
我是说过 我们的媒体指南说…
I did. - Our own press guidance...
赦免媒体霸权其实是为了小媒体着想
...said it was for the little guy when it was an amnesty for monopolists.
什么时候我们才要停止这种恶性奖励?
And when do we stop rewarding it?
我可以问个问题吗? 当然
Can I ask you a question? - Sure.
谁是小媒体?我是很认真的
Who's the little guy? I'm serious.
是谁?你认识贫困潦倒的电视主管吗?
Who is he? Do you know of any poor, struggling station owners?
有人困苦到把天线绑在卡车上吗?
Some guy in hand-me-downs tying antennas to a pickup truck?
没有 即使是小电视台收入都好几百万
No. - Even the smallest stations earn millions.
当中很多连新闻节目都没有
Lots of them have no news programming at all.
我们难道应该墨守成规 把媒体市场机制搞的天翻地覆吗?
We're supposed to upend the marketplace on principle alone?
人♥民♥有知的权利
People need to know what's going on.
他们需要知道当中的改变
They need to know changes are happening when no one's looking.
但是我们还是无法阻止这个改变
That doesn't mean we can stop them.
也不代表我们就该坐以待毙
It doesn't mean we go down without a fight, either.
把帐单寄给我
Send me that bill.
木工的钱我来付
I'd like to pay for the carpentry myself.
谢谢
Thanks.
不过每一分钱都值得
But it was worth every nickel.
我受很好的教育 我跟大家一样努力
I'm educated. I work as hard as anybody.
可是这不是我第一次失业了
And this isn't the first time I've lost my job.
到底什么时候才能停止?
Where does it end?
难道要我去当百事达的店员…
Am I gonna be working at a video-rental counter...
跟辍学的高中生当同事吗?
...next to some high school dropout?
幕僚专车要开了
The staff vans are leaving.
十年前 我帮一位参议员候选人做事
Ten years ago, I worked for this senate candidate.
他认为…
He had this idea...
健保、退休金 甚至连休假时间都应该跟着人走
...that health care, pensions, even vacation time ought to be portable.
不管你换了什么工作
It should follow you from job to job...
因为每个人一生都得换15份工作
...because everyone was gonna work 15 jobs in a lifetime.
搞不好更多
Might as well fly in the teeth of it.
我们劝住他别那样做
And we talked him out of it.
跟他说那样会把选民吓跑
Told him he was scaring the bejesus out of people.
谁想知道自己一生 得换那么多份工作
Who wants to know about 15 jobs?
不过或许当初我们应该那样做 我不知道
Maybe we should've done that. I don't know.
你有何意见赖曼先生?
What do you know, Mr. Lyman?
我们无法帮你挽回工作
We can't save your jobs.
长时间下来 一定能创造更多工作机会
We are gonna create more in the long run...
但是现在我们救不了你
...but we can't save your jobs.
我们得找出处理短时间危机的方法
It's the short run we gotta figure out.
这个世界日新月异
The world's moving faster.
我们无法阻止它的前进 我也希望我们可以
We can't stop it. I wish we could.
我们会做更多来帮助你们
We are gonna do more to prepare you.
这是我们得做的事情
We have to.
这算是承诺吗?
Is that a promise?
不是
No.
但是我们会努力去做
But we're gonna try.
剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表