剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表
Carol? -她不在这里
Carol? -She's not out here.
那我刚才是跟谁讲话?
I was just talking to her.
我不知道你走之前我还能不能再见到你
I didn't know if I'd see you before you left.
帮我交给Zoey -我也喜欢Macy Gray的CD
Give this to Zoey. -I love Macy Gray.
Zoey现在是女声惯常的轻声独唱的状态
Zoey's been in a solo, whispery, female acoustic rut right now.
我想给她带点有鼓的东西
I want to get her into something with drums.
那John Philip Sousa怎么样? -有鼓的但不一定有鼓槌
How about some John Philip Sousa? -Drums, but not so much the batons.
我妈妈以前经常看Diane Mathers的节目
My mom used to watch Diane Mathers all the time.
在她主持脱口秀的时候 她看起来温和,真诚,又有同情心
When she had that talk show. She seemed nice, sympathetic, sincere.
这个女人甚至能让暴君哭着讲述 他们喜欢的小狗,妈妈做的菜...
This is a woman who gets dictators to cry, talk about their love of puppies...
...哭着坦白他们修建集中营...
...confess they had concentration camps built...
...只是因为他们约不到女孩子
...because they couldn't get dates.
Zoey会没事的, 对吧 -大家都这么说
Zoey's gonna be fine, you know. -So everyone keeps saying.
总统先生还是不打算去?
The president hasn't changed his mind about coming?
是的 -我以为他会在最后一刻决定去
No. -I thought he would in the end.
他们是在酒吧里想出这个方案的? -是的学费抵税那部分
They came up with it in a bar? -It was that or the hops deduction.
他们在酒吧碰到一个叫Matt Kelley 年收入55,000美元
There was this guy named Matt Kelley, and he was making $55,000 a year.
他的女儿想上Notre Dame学院 -然后呢?
His daughter got into Notre Dame. -So?
那些大公♥司♥可以花上亿美元来收买♥♥....
So the Move-lt-to-Bermuda Corporation gets a deduction when they buy off...
...首席执行官的时候还有减税
...their C.E.O. for $ 100 million.
为什么不能给Matt这样的百姓 喘息之机呢?
Why not pass a break for guys like Matt?
你不认同? -如果她的女儿是暴牙...
You don't think so? -lf his daughter needed braces...
...Josh和Toby是不是会提出一个 全国的牙齿纠正计划?
...would Josh and Toby have come up with a plan for universal orthodontia?
没机会了, 是吗? -我们还是可以争取到学费抵税计划的
Not a chance, huh? -We can still get tax-deductible tuition.
我们可以争取到很多东西 我们会让他们拱手送出的, 就这样
We can get a lot of things. Gotta get them to give it, that's all.
你觉得我们应该怎么做?
How do you think we're doing?
我? 我不是-- -你是美国公民
Me? I'm not-- -You're an American.
你向政♥府♥缴税, 享受政♥府♥的服务
You pay taxes, consume government services.
我觉得...
I think...
...我们浪费了太多精力来解释 为什么我们争取的东西如此重要
...our side's done a bad job explaining why what we're fighting for is important.
我们的工作不应该是抽象的计划 和无穷尽的索引...
It's not about abstract programs and endless acronyms...
...而是去做造福于民的实事...
...but real things that affect real people...
...比如让大家都上得起大学
...like affording college.
你跟Josh谈过这些?
You talk to Josh about that?
一起去听毒品政策办公室的简报? -不, 我们来这里
We both going to the ONDCP briefing? -No, we're going in here.
呵, Toby, 要找我谈话
Gee, Toby, people are gonna talk.
我很...
I'm...
...好奇
...curious.
这不是因为那个显而易见的原因, 是吗?
It wouldn't be for the obvious reason, would it?
什么显而易见的原因? -你是保守派
What's the obvious reason? -You're a conservative.
也许你就爱看着他占着那个位置 一个自♥由♥的象征...
Maybe you'd love to see him stay on the bench, a liberal icon...
...变成颤抖的80岁的老糊涂...
...reduced to a quivering mass of octogenarian confusion...
...直到他被一个无♥耻♥的共和党人取代
...hanging on till he can be replaced by a paleo-Republican.
宪法是一部活的法律
Constitution's a living document.
你却牢牢抱住死的文字
You stick to it like it's a boilerplate lease.
你不知道自己在讲什么!
You don't know what you're talking about.
每年他都会请一个保守派职员来和他争论
Every year he likes to hire a conservative clerk to argue with.
和他争论的同时我更清楚了自己的信仰
And arguing with him helped me clarify the things I believe in.
其中之一就是一个独♥立♥的法庭 超越党派和利益之上
One of those things is an independent court, above party or interest.
他记忆力衰退了 口头争辩的时候没有了重点
He has memory lapses, drifts during oral arguments.
助理法官们已经开始搁置决议...
The associate justices are already postponing decisions...
...拖延重要案子...
...holding over important cases...
...在重要决议上自把自为
...going behind his back to assign opinions.
你并不知道那些 -不, 我知道!
You don't know that. -Yeah, I do.
他已经无所挂念了, Joe 他活的比他妻子长命
There's no one else left, Joe. He's outlived his wife.
他儿子在河内牺牲了
His son shot down over Hanoi.
只剩下职员陪他 象你一样的职员 -你对此无能为力!
It's just his clerks. Clerks like you. -You can't do anything.
我们现在就去他那里 现在, 你和我
Let's go over there together. Right now, you and me.
去医院? -他会见你的
To the hospital? -He'll see you.
你告诉我他没事 我就停止取代的计划
You tell me he's okay, and I'll call off the vultures.
嗨, Lisa. 你守夜班吗?
Hey, Lisa. You catch the night shift?
6点到午夜
Six to midnight.
Steve会过来守通宵
Steve's coming in to handle the overnights.
这是Toby Ziegler Toby, 这是Lisa Zimmer...
This is Toby Ziegler. Toby, this is Lisa Zimmer...
...大♥法♥官的职员之一
...one of the justice's clerks.
当然, 我在 困境 看过你
Sure, I've seen you on Crossfire.
我希望不会冒犯你, 但是我们只让亲近的人探视
I hope you won't be offended, but we're keeping it to family only.
比如朋友, 同僚
You know, friends, colleagues.
我只是陪Joe过来而已 我看见楼下大厅有架咖啡车
I just came along to keep Joe company. I saw a coffee cart down in the lobby.
你要点什么吗? -不用了
You want anything? -I'm good.
Lisa?
Lisa?
我在楼下等你
I'll be downstairs when you're done.
那么...
So... .
我不知道他们怎么跟你说的, 但是他能挺过来的
I don't know what they've told you, but he always bounces back.
Joe
Joe.
他总能做到
He always does.
先生?
Sir?
首席大♥法♥官阁下?
Mr. Chief Justice?
Joe? -我向他转达了总统的问候
Joe? -I gave him the president's regards.
那他说了什么? 他怎么样? 他说话连贯吗?
And what did he say? How is he? Was he coherent?
你知道我为什么不提我在他手下工作过吗?
You know why I didn't want it to spread that I used to clerk for him?
因为我知道会有这样一天 你们这些人...
Because I knew someday somebody like you...
...会叫我来做这样的事情!
...would come ask me to do something like this.
那他还好吗? -你们这些人...
So he's all right? -You guys.
你们把这当成一个游戏
You think it's all a game.
你们把法庭当成国家级的坦慕尼大厅 (美国历史上的地方性政♥治♥斗争)
You treat the court like it's Tammany Hall gone national.
你们又能强到哪里去? 推动新保守派...
Your side does it better? Pushing neoconservatives...
...巴不得他们没长良心也不懂法学?
...hoping they don't grow a conscience or an understanding of jurisprudence?
也许我们两边都可以做得更好
Maybe we could all do it better.
但是有样东西叫做司法独♥立♥! 这是一个终身任命
But there is such a thing called judicial independence. A lifetime appointment.
他还活着, 只有他自己才能决定 什么时候退出!!
He's still alive, so he gets to decide when it's time.
他到底说了什么?
What did he say?
还是他根本说不出话来?
Or can he even speak?
他很好, Toby
He's fine, Toby.
他坐起来...
He was up...
...和我开玩笑
...joking.
几天之后他就可以重新回去工作了
He'll be back in chambers in a couple of days.
嗨, 你感觉怎么样?
Hey, how you feeling?
很好~啊
Good.
总统在大阪准备要呼吁日本开放 微型芯片市场...
The president's Osaka remarks on opening Japan's microchip market...
...并且抱怨一下他们的汽车和平板玻璃
...and complaining about autos and flat glass.
平板玻璃. 太棒了~啊
Flat glass. Excellent.
我现在做的可是一种全新的工作 态度很正面的工作
It's a new thing I'm doing. A positive-attitude thing.
你需不需要帮忙? Donna在帮Angela的忙
Just seeing if you need anything. Donna's helping Angela.
还在? -谈判进行到很晚, 2点以后
Still? -The negotiations went late, after 2.
他们应该在20分钟后重新开始
They're due to resume in about 20 minutes.
Donna在参加预算谈判?
Donna's in the budget negotiations?
好像是 -了不起~啊
I guess. -Outstanding.
进行得如何?
How's it going?
我想我生什么病了
I think I'm coming down with something.
我很抱歉
I'm sorry.
你说说而已 我很怀疑你是否真的抱歉
You say that, but in a way that makes me wonder if you really are.
我至今还能记得...
I can still feel it, you know?
我第一次被叫到他办公室...
The first time I ever got called into his office...
...他朝我的法律复习笔记发脾气
...and yelled at about something he'd read in my law review note.
他连我的法律复习笔记都读
He'd read my law review note.
我所能想到的仅仅是 "他就是那个人"
And all I could think was, "This is the guy. "
就因为他警♥察♥必须对罪犯宣读其权利
He's why a cop has to read a criminal his rights.
就因为他德州不同种族的情侣才能通婚
He's why a couple of mixed race can get married in the state of Texas.
我花了三个晚上...
I spent three nights as a One-L...
...想试着撕碎他写的 Baines 诉 美国钢铁案总结
...trying to pick apart his Baines v. U.S. Steel.
但我做不到
I couldn't do it.
我曾经有一次和Ashland呆在一个房♥子里
I was in a room with Ashland once.
我那时是纽城大学的学生
I was a student at City College.
学生会邀请他来给我们演讲...
The Student Organizing Committee got him to give a speech...
...讲投票权的历史
...on the history of voting rights.
我们听得很入迷
We were hanging from the rafters.
我后来又和他谈了一阵 他可能对我完全没有印象了
I talked to him afterward. I mean, he wouldn't remember me.
但接下来我却花了六周的时间来组织
But I spent the next six weeks organizing a voter registration drive...
...Bed-Stuy和Bensonhurst两个地区的 选民登记运动
...for Bed-Stuy and Bensonhurst.
剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表