剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表
是啊波克的事还好吗?
Yeah. Any luck with Polk?
不好
No.
好的我或许有项宣布可以给你 让波克翻船
Okay. I may have an announcement for you that'll knock Polk out of the water.
说什么? -让我先把用词弄对
Saying what? - Let me get the wording straight.
这里指出在社会福利实施之前 半数的老年人是死于贫穷的
It says here that before Social Security, half of all seniors died in poverty.
而现在几乎没有一个是 -是的
And now, almost none do. - Yeah.
他们通过法案那天 一定是很棒的一天
Must've been a pretty great day when they passed it.
在议员席辩论时一位共和党议员 称之为“独♥裁♥者的鞭打”
During the floor debate, one Republican called it "the lash of the dictator. "
另一位称之为“奴役工人”
Another said it would "enslave workers. "
社会福利吗?
Social Security?
而一些极左翼的人视之为半途的手段 是一种逃避
And some on the far left dismissed it as a half measure. A cop-out.
一种在即将死去资本系统中 挖洞的方式
A way to plug holes in a dying capitalist system.
这是? 我能问一下吗总统他?
Is it...? Can I ask, what did the president...?
他要我把这议题放回原位
He wanted me to put this back in the box.
你要怎么做呢?
How do you do that?
借由承担下所有发生之事的责难
By taking the blame for everything that happened.
你有某些意图 你对我说了谎
You're up to something. You lied to me.
总统不会说那是什么 但是你为我工作
The president won't say what it is, but you work for me.
我是的 -告诉我你要做什么
I do. - Tell me what you're up to.
告诉我为何一半以上的政党委员 都认为我们在压♥迫♥甘司
Tell me why half the caucus thinks we're squeezing Gaines.
否则我们的问题就大了
Or we have serious problems.
没有问题
No problems.
我们有指挥系统是有原因的
There's a reason we have a chain of command.
人♥民♥不喜欢传♥单♥我不会交给你 他们的辞呈
So people don't take fliers, and I don't hand you their resignations.
我想要相信他可以办得到
I wanted to believe he could do it.
我很想相信他可以办得到 -这里并不是非现实幻境长官
I wanted to believe as much as he did. - This isn't Never-Never Land, sir.
相信是不够的 -你本来是可以阻止的
Believing is not enough. - You would've stopped it.
因为那是我的工作 -那是我的生命里奥
Because it's my job. - It's my life, Leo.
我是该负责的人
I'm the one who's accountable.
不是对媒体 或是对民♥主♥党议会
Not in the papers, or the Democratic cloakroom...
但在50、100年之后 当星期二的民调样本粉碎成尘埃
...but in 50, 100 years, when Tuesday's poll samples have crumbled into dust.
你无法为自己流传名声
You can't will yourself a legacy.
你认为在史密斯博物馆有一间房♥间
You think there's a room at the Smithsonian...
是给从来没有尝试过的人的吗?
...for guys who never even tried?
你必须接受托比的信
You have to accept Toby's letter.
5年了我从未想过我们会有秘密
Five years, I never thought we'd have secrets.
“让你的不满成为你的秘密”
"Let thy discontents be thy secrets. "
只有如果你想让他继续不满
Only if you want them to stay discontent.
茜洁给我看了你的辞呈
C.J. showed me your resignation.
你为何没有告诉我呢? 你不相信我?
Why didn't you tell me? You don't trust me?
我没有是因为 你会用身体阻挡我的
I didn't because you would've body-blocked me.
因为这是愚蠢的事而且你知道
Because it was a stupid thing and you knew it.
你不想夺回国会吗?我们可以立法 100条我们的议题
Don't you wanna take back Congress? We can legislate on 100 of our issues.
像是改革者一样高谈阔论
Spoken like a true reformer.
我也想要游过英吉力海峡 那比从码头跳下去难多了
I'd like to swim the English Channel too. Takes more than jumping off a pier.
开♥发♥困难的东西?那就是我们希望 被记住的吗?
So exploit the hard stuff? That's what we wanna be remembered for?
我们做可能做的事 开♥发♥不可能的事
We do what's possible. We exploit what's not.
那便是我们如何赢得选举的
That's how we win elections.
我走过了失去选战
Well, I came up on losing campaigns.
而每次我选输 至少我知道我失败的原因是什么
And every time I lost, at least I knew what I went down for.
卡尼知道了
Carney knew.
输家跟社会福利有什么关系呢?
What do the losers get to do about Social Security?
输家踢起灰尘让辩论持续下去 或许我的信也有相同功效
Losers kick up dirt to keep the debate going. Maybe my letter will do that.
让你成为烈士 -让有人捡起球来
Make you a martyr. - Make someone pick up the ball.
一步一步走我们正在移♥动♥ 妥协的那条线
Inch by inch, we're moving the line of compromise.
这不是主日学校 这是世界的政♥治♥首都
This isn't Sunday school. It's the world capital of politics.
我可以告诉你甘司根本不会动摇的
I could have told you Gaines wasn't gonna move.
他有他说他会动议私人帐户上
He did. He said he'd move on private accounts.
你让小组委员会主席动议私人帐户?
You got the subcommittee chairman to move on private accounts?
那就像是吸入小型钢琴一样
That's like inhaling a baby grand.
是的
Yeah.
他现在已经出局了
Well, he's out now.
登那
Turner.
什么?
What?
罗伊登那
Roy Turner.
所以你是说你会
You're saying that you'll...
要求民♥主♥党删减在接下来 20年的福利
...ask the Democrats to trim benefits over the next 20 years...
提高退休年龄 并永远放弃此议题
...raise the retirement age and give up on this issue forever.
如果我可以告诉他们你会为了 私人帐户而妥协除了社会福利
If I can tell them you'll settle for private accounts, on top of Social Security.
而且在社会福利税收上 提高收入限制
And raise the income limit on Social Security taxes.
我们保护罗斯福的遗志并承认 必须要有变更才能拯救它
We protect FDR's legacy, and admit changes have to be made to save it.
那政♥治♥掩护呢? -我们取消那些动作
What about political cover? - We call off the stunts.
民♥主♥党全国党代表运用此议题来对抗 任何反对的共和党员
The DNC won't use this deal against any Republican who votes for it.
这个通过的机率有多大呢?
What are the chances this passes?
共和党想要结束此议题的煽动行为
Republicans would like to end the demagoguery on this issue.
他们会很感谢你跟我接触提供协议
They'll be grateful that you approached me with a deal.
事实上
Actually....
将这卖♥♥给民♥主♥党
To sell this to Democrats...
我必须要说是你接触我 -不这对我就是协议破局了
... I have to say you approached me. - No. That's a deal-breaker for me.
如果这看起来像是民♥主♥党安排的
If it looks like a Democratic setup...
我不能看起来像是某种危险计划要 危害社会福利的大树叶
I can't look like a fig leaf for some risky scheme to shred Social Security.
我们是要拯救它不是危害它
We're saving it, not shredding it.
所以你可将大把钞票 放入私人帐户?
So you can drive a wedge into private accounts?
你希望看到它破产吗?
You'd like to see it bankrupt?
20年来我们最接近 却因为谁先接触谁而破局吗?
Closest we've been to in 20 years and it breaks over who he approached first?
如果他接触共和党他就是出♥卖♥♥♥右翼
If he approached Republicans, he's a right-wing sellout.
接触民♥主♥党就是喷火的强硬派
Approach the Democrats, he's a fire-breathing partisan.
很难没有看而退让原则
Hard enough caving on principle without looking like it.
而我们有个小问题是 《华尔街日报》
And we have a little problem called The Wall Street Journal.
我们不接受功劳 -什么?
We don't take credit. - What?
我们完全不接受功劳
We don't take credit at all.
这是唯一的办法
It's the only way.
他们互相接触 两个政党一起合作
They approached each other. Bipartisan down the line.
没有人可以说我是在设计谁
No one can say I'm setting anyone up.
总统先生 如此胜利一代只有一次
Mr. President, a victory like this comes along once in a generation.
我们必须拯救新协议 没有人会知道我们同在一个房♥间
We'll have saved the New Deal, and no one will know we were in the room.
我们会知道的
We'll know.
如果我们不这样做
If we don't do this....
如果这个系统崩溃了 将来就是会这样
If this system collapses, which is what'll happen....
如果我们回到分配救济品队伍
If we go back to bread lines...
如果在美国老去代表的就是会变成 再度贫穷我们也会知道的
...if growing old in America means growing poor again, we'll know that too.
没有所谓的无形遗产的长官
There is no such thing as an invisible legacy, sir.
你必须要知道你要放弃
You have to know you'd be giving it away.
整天我们一直在谈我的传奇 我的划像
All day, we've been talking about my legacy, my portrait...
我的墓碑上要刻什么文字
...what's gonna be carved on my tombstone.
或许我们多关心一点 被呈报的是什么
Maybe we pay a little more attention to what's being rendered.
而呈报本身就能解决问题
And the rendering takes care of itself.
该是时候让两党一起
It was time for both parties to come together...
拯救社会福利的长♥期♥未来
... to secure the long-term future of Social Security.
多年以来社会福利一直是政♥治♥上的 第三条铁道
For years, Social Security has been the third rail of politics.
但是我们愿意承担风险 屏弃分歧
But we're willing to take risks, to set aside divisions...
而且我们希望众议员领导以及 巴特勒总统也将可以
... and we are hopeful that House leaders and President Bartlet will also...
《华尔街日报》就是这样 这是政♥治♥上的大海啸
So much for The Wall Street Journal. It's a political tsunami.
你怎么告诉波克的?
What'd you tell Polk?
他们要求我们加入而我们说不
That they asked us to be part of this, and we said no.
好的
Okay.
那当共和党跟民♥主♥党 不再用社会福利议题
So, what do we do when Republicans and Democrats...
互相攻击时 我们该做什么呢?
...no longer have Social Security to thrash each other with?
我们把议题转移到医疗保险
We move on to Medicare.
我们不能让有这种事发生 在残障人士身上
We can't let that happen to people with disabilities.
我们不能让它发生在我们 努力营造的
We can't let that happen to the social safety net...
社会安全上面
... that we have labored as a society to pitch.
总是没有什么新闻是吗?
Always the slow news days, huh?
甘司自♥由♥市场保守派领导之一
Gaines, one of that body's leading free-market conservatives...
几乎屠♥杀♥了每头圣牛
... slaying just about every sacred cow...
很尽所能整治美国的退休计划
... really sticking their necks out to fix America's retirement program.
参众两院领导没有评论是否会将 对此提呈上议事席
No word on whether House and Senate leaders might bring this to the floor...
但是这肯定将会对白宫施压
... but this certainly puts pressure on the White House...
而白宫并不积极想要交换协议
... which has shown no eagerness to trade away their...
他们下次选举最有力的政♥治♥议题
... most potent political issue for the next election cycle.
剧集 | 白宫风云(1999) | 导航列表