剧集 | 当我们崛起时(2017) | 导航列表
And I submit, at the end of the day,
在今天结束之前 我要说
"I don't know,"
尽管我很尊敬库伯先生
with all due respect to Mr. Cooper,
但"我不知道"
does not cut it.
无法抹去罪过
It does not cut it.
它无法抹去罪过
When you are taking away the constitutional right
当你剥夺了这一大群人
to privacy, liberty, association, and sexual intimacy
宪法赋予的隐私 自♥由♥ 集♥会♥和亲密性行为
from a large group of individuals,
的种种权利之时
that is not acceptable under our constitution.
这在我们宪法体系下是不可允许的
And Mr. Blankenhorn is absolutely right...
布兰肯霍恩先生说得很对
The day that we end that,
终结此事的那天
We will be more American.
我们都会更像美国人
It took months for the judge's decision to come in,
法官的判决要几天之后才能下来
but when it did, each side was given the news
当最终判决下来 两边都会在公布于众的一小时前
wne hour before the public
收到判决消息
in case anything needed to be done to prevent riots.
以做好准备 防止暴♥动♥
Chad...
查德
We won.
我们赢了
We won big.
我们狠狠地赢了
The judge gave us the Constitution.
法官给予了我们宪法赋予的权利
no, no, no, don't kiss me.
不不不 别吻我
Please. You're not my type.
求你 你不是我的菜
Supporters of same-sex marriage cheered today's decision
今天的决议正式判决
declaring that proposition 8 to ban gay marriage
禁止同性婚姻的八号♥提案违宪
is unconstitutional.
同性婚姻的支持者欢呼雀跃
This case will certainly be appealed.
此案肯定还会继续上诉
Meanwhile, it's important that the rest of us
同时很重要的是 相信公平正义的余下的人们
who believe in fairness make the same case
能够像律师在法庭抗争一样
for the freedom to marry in the court of public opinion
在公共生活领域
that the lawyers made in the court of law.
为同性婚姻自♥由♥而抗争
Well, I think it will be up to the supreme court,
我觉得最终结果取决于最高法♥院♥
and I do not think they have five votes for it.
但我认为不会有五名及以上的法官支持的
If we can win at the supreme court now,
如果我们在最高法♥院♥判决中赢了
We could have marriage in all 50 states.
所有五十个州里我们就都可以结婚了
But the justices don't live in a bubble.
但是正义不是空中楼阁
If we don't show them we've won the hearts and minds
如果我们不能告诉他们 我们已经赢得了所有人的支持
of everyone... republicans, democrats, north, and south...
共和党 民♥主♥党 北方 南方
Then... we could lose the entire nation.
那么 我们可能会在这个国家输得一败涂地
These numbers will demonstrate
这些数字显示的是
the thousands of meals that we've served
在本市救济教堂提供的
and the beds that we've provided
数以千计的救济餐
at the city of refuge church.
以及临时床位
But we're running out of money,
但是我们资金快要用完了
and that puts our people back on the streets.
因此我们救助的人们再次流落街头
Now, before you say anything,
在你说什么之前
I know that this is not up to city requirements.
我知道这与市政厅的要求不符
It's just, you know,
只是说
there's been so much bad done in the name of "god."
世人以上帝之名作恶甚多
I can assure you... this is not that god.
我可以向你保证 我们信仰的不是那种上帝
And I'd hate to have to share how you forced
我也不想告诉世人 就因为账上的几笔小钱
a black, HIV-positive, trans-inclusive church to close
你们逼迫着这个包含黑人 HIV病毒感染者
because you didn't have a few more numbers.
变性人的教堂 最终倒闭
Okay, I hear you. I hear you, both of you.
好了 我知道了 知道了 你俩的话我都听清楚了
Well, you seem very calm
对于一个刚被威逼的人来说
for someone who just got strong-armed.
您还是挺冷静的
Can I tell you something?
我能告诉你件事吗?
Diane and I... engaged.
黛安和我... 订婚了
What? I know. Can you believe it?
什么? 我知道 你能相信吗?
Congratulations. Oh, no, no, no.
恭喜恭喜 不不不
It's a political thing.
这是出于政♥治♥的考量
And please don't tell anyone.
请别告诉别人
We're... don't want to make a big deal out of it.
我们 不想搞个大新闻
So, do us right,
所以 帮帮我们
And we'll keep your dirty little secret, hmm?
我们也会保守你们的小秘密的 好吗?
Passed by congress...
国会通过...
In the year we waited for our case
在我们等待我们案子
to make it to the supreme court,
上至最高法♥院♥的时间里
on the other side of the country,
这个国家的另一端
a second case started making its way, too,
另一件案子也慢慢铺展开来
a case challenging DOMA itself, the Defense Of Marriage Act.
这案子挑战《婚姻保护♥法♥》本身
It's being challenged by
案件是由纽约城
83-year-old Edie Windsor of New York.
83岁的伊迪·温莎发起的
When her spouse, Thea Spyer, died and left her the estate,
当她的配偶 西娅·施派尔去世并留给她遗产后
She got a tax bill for $363,000.
她面临着三十六万三千美元的重税
If the federal government had recognized the marriage,
如果联邦政♥府♥承认她的婚姻的话
It would have been zero.
她就无需缴税
The Windsor case challenging DOMA...
温莎案挑战婚姻保护♥法♥...
Is that a threat to your case?
这对你们案子是不是有威胁?
Windsor isn't suing a state.
温莎没有起诉某州
She's suing the federal government.
她直接起诉了联邦政♥府♥
That includes president Obama.
那还包含了奥巴马总统
Windsor must have bigger balls than all of us
温莎要是起诉总统
if she's suing the president.
那她一定比我们还要有种
Obama could have ignored your case.
奥巴马可能就会忽视你们的案子
He can't ignore hers.
因为他无法忽视她的
I mean, isn't the question now, will he defend DOMA?
我说 问题难道不在于 他会不会维护婚姻保护♥法♥吗?
If we can get the first African-American president
要是我们能让第一任非裔美国人总统
to come out and support marriage equality...
出面支持婚姻平等...
Chad had been an aide in the White House.
查德以前是白宫的事务助手
He returned as part of a coalition,
他作为两党合作的一部分回驻白宫
alongside all of those who had been against our case,
身边是所有反对我们案子的人
because if you could get the president,
因为如果你能够争取到总统支持
you move the numbers.
你就能改变支持者人数
You move the numbers,
你改变了支持者人数
You might convince the supreme court.
你就可能说服最高法♥院♥
Hi.
嗨
Did you write the president, too?
你也给总统写信了吗?
I did. We did.
我写了 我们写了
We asked him, uh, to help it make it so that
我们请求他 帮帮那些
kids of, you know, two moms or two dads...
有两个爸爸或者两个妈妈的孩子们
that one day that their parents can get married, too.
希望终有一天他们的家长也能结婚
Why can't they get married now?
他们现在为什么不能结婚啊?
You know, that's a very smart question.
这真是个好问题
That's exactly what I want to ask him.
这就是我要去问他的问题
People are being denied a right
在这法庭上14次被强调的基本权利
that this court has said 14 times is fundamental.
却不断在被否认
Is it your position that, in 1848,
你是不是说 在1848年
the framers of the 14th amendment
第十四修正案的起草者们
contemplated same-sex couples?
考虑了同性婚姻问题?
That very same argument was made in Loving vs. Virginia
同样的论点也出现在洛文诉弗吉尼亚案中
with regard to people of different races
案子提到 不同种族的人们
having the right to marry.
有结婚的权力
Okay. So, let's say that DOMA is constitutional.
好 那我们暂且说婚姻保护♥法♥是符合宪法的
Is there any argument that prop 8 isn't?
那你有什么论点说八号♥提案是违宪的?
I can't accept that,
这我不能接受
but the government may have something in its head about DOMA
但是政♥府♥那里可能会对婚姻保护♥法♥有一些
that makes this a different case from, say,
让这案子跟罗比与捍卫婚姻法案件
Robbie's Defense of Marriage Act case.
有所区别的的想法
No one has ever articulated a legitimate reason
关于为什么同性婚姻伴侣双方挣得的财产
why only gay married couples should be taxed
都需要被征税这一点
on the assets they accumulate together.
还没有人给出一个合法的解释
Are... are we only looking at
我们是只关注
this estate-tax issure of yours?
你的财产征税问题吗?
Everyone agrees. The IRS says same-sex married couples
每个人都同意 国税局说同性结婚伴侣
would receive the same benefits,
可以享受同样权利
except that DOMA prevents that.
只有婚姻保护♥法♥反对这个
So, if I marry my cat,
所以如果我嫁了我的猫
the government should give me tax credits?
政♥府♥会给我税收减免?
It's based on conduct, not status.
那是取决于行为 不是状态
No. I'm not touching my cat. I'm just married to it.
不 我不会爱抚我的猫 我就嫁给它
剧集 | 当我们崛起时(2017) | 导航列表