剧集 | 当我们崛起时(2017) | 导航列表
我和黛安订婚了
Diane and I -- engaged.
-什么 -难以置信吧
- What? - I know. Can you believe it?
-恭喜 -不 不是那样的
-Congratulations. -Oh, no, no, no.
这与政♥治♥有关
It's a political thing.
请不要外传
And please don't tell anyone.
我们不想大张旗鼓
We're -- don't want to make a big deal out of it.
那么 帮我们的忙
So, do us right,
我们就守着你的小秘密 如何
and we'll keep your dirty little secret, hmm?
由国会通过的
Passed by Congress...
在我们等待
In the year we waited for our case
案子呈上最高法♥院♥的一年中
to make it to the Supreme Court,
在美国的另一端
on the other side of the country,
另一案件也开始向最高法♥院♥前行
a second case started making its way, too,
《婚姻保护♥法♥》辩词
男女结合才算是合法婚姻
一个挑战《婚姻保护♥法♥》本身的案子
a case challenging DOMA itself, the Defense of Marriage Act.
提出诉讼的是
It's being challenged by
纽约83岁的伊迪·温莎
83-year-old Edie Windsor of New York.
她的伴侣西娅·斯拜耳去世时
When her spouse, Thea Spyer, died
将房♥产留给了她
and left her the estate,
她收到了36.3万美金的税单
she got a tax bill for $363,000.
如果联邦政♥府♥承认了我们的婚姻
If the federal government had recognized the marriage,
就不会有税单了
it would have been zero.
挑战《婚姻保护♥法♥》的温莎案
The Windsor case challenging DOMA --
是否会威胁到你的案子
is that a threat to your case?
温莎告的不是某个州
Windsor isn't suing a state.
她告的是联邦政♥府♥
She's suing the federal government.
这就包括了总统奥巴马
That includes President Obama.
要是温莎状告总统 那她的胆子
Windsor must have bigger balls than all of us
肯定比我们所有人都大
if she's suing the President.
奥巴马可能会忽视你的案子
Obama could have ignored your case.
却不能忽视她的
He can't ignore hers.
现在的问题难道不应该是
I mean, isn't the question now,
他会维护《婚姻保护♥法♥》吗
will he defend DOMA?
如果我们能让首位非裔美国人总统
If we can get the first African-American president
站出来支持婚姻平等...
to come out and support marriage equality...
查德曾在白宫做过助手
Chad had been an aide in the White House.
他作为联盟的一员回到白宫
He returned as part of a coalition,
身边全是那些反对我们案子的人
alongside all of those who had been against our case,
因为如果你能获得总统的支持
because if you could get the President,
就能左右支持率
you move the numbers.
有了支持率
You move the numbers,
就有可能说服最高法♥院♥
you might convince the Supreme Court.
你也给总统写过信吗
Did you write the President, too?
写过 我们写过
I did. We did.
我们请求他帮助我们
We asked him, uh, to help it make it so that
让有一对母亲或一对父亲的孩子
kids of, you know, two moms or two dads --
将来他们的父母也能结婚
that one day that their parents can get married, too.
为什么他们现在不能结婚呢
Why can't they get married now?
这个问题问得好
You know, that's a very smart question.
这正是我想问总统的问题
That's exactly what I want to ask him.
人们被否定了一项权利
People are being denied a right
而该法庭曾14次强调这是最基本的权利
that this court has said 14 times is fundamental.
八号♥提案 《婚姻保护♥法♥》联合审判实践
你是否认为 在1848年
Is it your position, that in 1848,
第十四修正案的修宪者考虑过同性婚姻这个问题
the framers of the 14th Amendment contemplated same-sex couples?
约翰·G·罗伯茨
约翰·G·罗伯茨
同样的论据在裁决跨种族的人是否有权利通婚的
That very same argument was made in Loving vs. Virginia
安东尼·M·肯尼迪
露丝·巴德·金斯伯格
洛文诉弗吉尼亚州一案中
with regard to people of different races
已经使用过了
having the right to marry.
好吧 假设《婚姻保护♥法♥》符合宪法规定
Okay. So, let's say that DOMA is constitutional.
汤姆·阿米亚诺
我们的赢面有多大
那有人争辩八号♥提案不符合吗
Is there any argument that Prop 8 isn't?
我无法接受
I can't accept that,
可是政♥府♥也许对《婚姻保护♥法♥》有自己的看法
but the government may have something in its head about DOMA
不太乐观 怎么了
使得本案和罗比的《婚姻保护♥法♥》一案
that makes this a different case from, say,
有所区别
Robbie's Defense of Marriage Act case.
从来没有人阐明过合法的理由
No one has ever articulated a legitimate reason
为什么只有已婚同性♥伴♥侣♥
why only gay married couples should be taxed
要为共同资产纳税
on the assets they accumulate together.
我们要考虑的只有这个遗产税问题吗
Are -- are we only looking at this estate-tax issue of yours?
大家都同意 国税局表明已婚同性♥伴♥侣♥
Everyone agrees. The IRS says same-sex married couples
可以获得同等津贴
would receive the same benefits,
但《婚姻保护♥法♥》却阻止了这一权利
except that DOMA prevents that.
何必无缘无故让黛安和罗玛扯证结婚
那如果我和我的猫结婚
So, if I marry my cat,
政♥府♥就该给我抵免税收吗
the government should give me tax credits?
这基于行为 而非状态
It's based on conduct, not status.
我没有跟我的猫上♥床♥ 只是跟它结婚而已
No. I'm not touching my cat. I'm just married to it.
如果你仅从税法着手
If you make this just about a tax bill,
你的辩论覆盖面就太窄 即使你胜诉了
your argument is so narrow, that even if you win,
大多数州还是能禁止同性婚姻
most states are still gonna be able to ban gay marriage.
恕我直言 你在争取的只是无关紧要的权利
With all due respect, you're shooting for the cheap seats.
《婚姻保护♥法♥》覆盖面一点都不窄
DOMA is far from narrow.
它牵涉到超过1100条的联邦权利和义务
It involves more than 1,100 federal rights and duties,
涵盖了社保 医保和税收方面
from Social Security to healthcare to taxes.
你同时在为50个州争取婚姻平权
You're arguing for marriage in all 50 states.
范围太广了
It's so broad.
你争辩的范围这么广 我们可能会无果而终
Your arguments are so broad, we could end up with nothing.
我的委托人是伊迪
My client is Edie.
她失去了一生挚爱
She lost the love of her life,
雪上加霜的是她还要面临不公平的税收
and that injury was met with an unjust tax bill.
政♥府♥面对她时
When the country meets her,
还会向她以及其他同样的人索求更多
they'll want even more for her and the rest of us like her.
我是为了伊迪
This is about Edie for me.
你得到总统的支持了吗
Did you get the President?
找到一位共和党议员
We have one Republican senator.
克♥林♥顿♥和拜登也支持我们
And Clinton and Biden are in,
但是今年是选举年
but it's an election year.
对总统来说风险更大
It's a bigger risk for the President.
你们可能觉得我的切入点太小
You boys might find my approach narrow,
但我的案子足以使我们
but my case puts us in a position
要求总统表明立场
to demand the President take a side,
而且我向你保证 虽然是选举年
and I can assure you I won't let him off the hook
我也绝不会让他脱身
just because this is an election year.
你好 罗玛
Hi, Roma.
你好 姐姐
Hi, sis.
怎么了
What's wrong?
听好了 你就算拒绝也不用感到愧疚
Listen, I don't want you to feel bad about saying no.
我知道要求很多 而且可能很仓促
It's a lot, and it might be really short notice
取决于法♥院♥
based on the courts, um --
天啊 你做了什么
Oh, God. What did you do?
不不不 是联邦最高法♥院♥
No, no, no. No, no. The Supreme Court.
我和黛安...
Uh, Diane and I...
准备结婚
are getting married.
当然 要看法♥院♥的裁定结果
Um...I mean, depending on what the courts say.
好 好的
Right. Right.
我愿意来参加婚礼
Well, I'd like to come.
你不是还相信有天堂和炼狱那些吗
Don't you still believe in heaven and Purgatory and all that?
你要怎么协调
I mean, how would you reconcile that?
你是我的妹妹
You're my sister.
我先把信仰放一边
I put that away.
如果你胜诉了 我想出席你的婚礼
Listen, if you win this, I-I'd like to be there.
好的 谢谢
Okay. Thank you.
再见
Bye.
怎么了
What's wrong?
现在我倒担心可能会败诉了
Now I'm afraid we might lose.
谢谢
Thank you.
赞成资助
Those in favor of providing funding
逃城教会的人 请举手
for the City of Refuge Church, raise your hand.
我们为自己的生命 家庭 信仰
剧集 | 当我们崛起时(2017) | 导航列表