剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表
Is that what she was suggesting, that they'd locked her up?
她是想暗示说 他们把她关起来了?
People don't do that to their wives anymore, surely?
丈夫是不会这样对他们的妻子的 是吧?
Surely
怎么会呢?
Who knows what goes on in those big houses, Stanley?
谁知道在那些大宅里会发生什么 Stanley?
But it was that last call that convinced me
但是这最后一个电♥话♥让我确信了
that she wasn't genuine.
她不是真实的
I'm pretty sure it was just a game on her part.
我确信这是她玩的一个游戏
A strange game to play, isn't it?
很奇怪的游戏 不是吗?
Yes.
是
But what I've worked out is this.
但是我能想到的只有这么多
I think she probably loved watching the band.
我觉得她应该喜欢看乐队的演出
She loved the music, all that is true.
她喜欢音乐 这点是真的
She wants to escape the life she has,
她想逃离现实生活
but she knows there are several women in the ballroom that feel the same.
她也知道在舞厅里有不少女性和她有着一样的想法
She wants to be noticed,
她希望被人注意
so she summons up a sort of nightmare, so I'll remember her.
她制♥造♥了一种恐惧 所以我记得她
And you have.
你一直记着她
I have, yes.
是的
And I know one thing, Stanley.
我知道一件事 Stanley
You are never going to publish this.
你是不会发表这个故事的
You're right, she must be merely some mad aristo,
你是对的 她一定是一个半疯不傻的名流
some upper-class nutcase who simply wants to sleep with you.
上流社会的疯子 仅仅想要和你共度良宵
Precisely.
正是
Why else would she choose me to tell this to?
为什么她选择了我呢?
But just in case she isn't a complete madwoman,
但是以防她不是疯女人
you're not going to try to find out more from Pamela?
你不想从Pamela知道更多吗?
I gave Josephine my word.
我对Josephine保证过了
No, I promised, remember?
不 我保证了 记得吗?
See you in a few days, Stanley.
过几天再见 Stanley
And then you can show me how much of this you've dared to write.
时候可以给我看看 有多少是你有胆量写出来的
And then, of course, events engulfed Louis, very soon after our conversation.
在我们谈话结束后不久之后 Louis事情不断
A matter of days, really.
大约几天
And quite a big part of what happened to him was connected to the masons
他发生了一些事 是和共济会有关的
and their ability to look after their own.
他们有能力照顾自己
Or at least that's my view of how Julian Luscombe was protected.
至少我认为Julian Luscombe当时受到了袒护
And that would have continued if Julian hadn't killed himself.
如果不是Julian自杀的话 事情还会继续扰攘
And as I write this, I'm not at all sure Louis wasn't right.
在我写这稿的时候 我一点都不确定Louis是不是判断有误
I may not have the guts to publish Josephine's story.
我或许没有胆量去发表Josephine的故事
After all, Louis is safely out of the country now and I am not.
Louis已经安全的离开了这个国家 毕竟我还在这里
I am still here and have every intention of staying.
我现在在这里 希望将来还在这里
The masons have fled the Imperial at the moment,
现在 帝国酒店的共济会已经成为了过去
because of its loss of reputation.
因为它名誉扫地
And that great big crumbling palace of a place, which, for a couple of years, really burst with life and was so full of possibilities,
数载以来充满了生命力和可能性 而座宫殿现在破落了
is just hanging on like a beached creature,
就像被冲到海滩上苦苦坚持的生物
hoping the next tide will make it buoyant again.
期待下个海浪能把它送回水里
And if that happens, will the masons return?
如果有这一天 它会辉煌再现吗?
One thing I can't stop thinking about is, does Mr Luke really exist?
我一直在想 Luke先生是真实存在的人吗?
Or was he a figment of this woman's imagination, as Louis believed?
或者像Louis想的那样 仅是那个女人幻想的一部分?
At the moment I've kept the promise
我现在还遵守着诺言
not to try to make Pamela tell me more, anything that might lead me to Josephine.
会不向Pamela打探更多关于Josephine的事
Or at least, I've half kept the promise.
至少 我还遵守着一半的承诺
I've asked her in a roundabout way
我有试过旁敲侧击
and she said she hadn't a clue what I was talking about.
她说她完全不知道我在说什么
After her brother Julian's death, it is obviously an impossible subject for me to really press her on.
在她哥哥Julian死后 我就很难在这个话题上向她施压
But if Mr Luke does exist,
如果Luke先生是真实的
does he really know something we don't?
他是不是真的知道一些我们不知道的事呢?
Or is he a complete fraud, the Complete Fluke?
或者说他是个彻头彻尾的骗子 一个侥幸的幸运儿?
I think I might just try and find him.
我觉得我还是去找找他吧
剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表