剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表
And did you find the dog?
那你找到狗了吗?
Oh, yes, I found the dog. "Here it is!" I said,
找到了 我叫道 '它在这儿!'
and she gave me a little kiss on the top of me head and she was gone.
她在我额头轻吻了一下 就走了
Funny...
真有意思...
Often think about her, what happened to her, and if, er...
我常常想起她 想她以后会遭遇什么 如果...
well, if he ever came back.
如果她的小伙一去不返
She was a beautiful girl.
她是个美丽的姑娘
Sweet little story, really, isn't it?
真是个甜蜜的故事
It is. So why are you looking at me like that?
是啊 干嘛这么看着我?
You tell me a story of your own, Stanley, hoping I'll open up to you.
Stanley 你讲了你自己的故事 希望我会对你袒露心迹
Maybe. But you're going to open up to me anyway, Louis.
也许吧 但你总会向我坦白的 Louis
So, no brothers or sisters,
你没有其他兄弟姐妹?
and you're all alone living with your deeply religious mother?
一直都是一个人跟着你虔诚的母亲生活吗?
Yes. Do you have any brothers and sisters? I don't.
没有 你有兄弟姐妹吗? 我也没有
That's a coincidence. Both of us being only children.
太巧了 我们都是独生子
Yes. Might explain something, of course, although I don't know what.
是啊 这也许能说明一些问题 虽然我还不清楚是什么
And both your parents died in the flu epidemic
你父母双双死于流感
that must have been a devastating time.
这对你一定是个沉重的打击
Are we still off the record?
这些还是不记录的吗?
For heaven's sake, you can tell me about that.
上帝作证 对我你尽可以敞开心扉
Both your parents die, you're incredibly upset.
双亲去世后你一定伤心欲绝吧
We are still off the record.
你还是不能做记录
Oh! Go on, if we have to be.
好吧 如果非要你坚持的话
It was in a way, devastating, of course.
某种程度上说 这个打击是毁灭性的
But in another way, I was already on my own.
但从另一个角度来看 我已经能自力更生了
I had naturally seen very little of my father during the war
战争期间我很少见到父亲
and when he came back, he really didn't speak to me very much.
战后他回到家也很少跟我说话
And there was a time, shortly before he died,
只有一次例外 那是他去世前不久
when we were walking along the street,
我们一起沿着街散步
and he stopped to buy toffee apples for both of us.
他停下来给我们俩买♥♥了拔丝苹果
I was a little old for toffee apples, I thought,
我长大了 我觉得拔丝苹果已经不适合我了
but I realised that he wanted one, and he was pretending it was for me, the reason why he was buying them.
后来我意识到其实是他自己想吃 但他假装是为我买♥♥的
We walked along a little way eating our toffee apples
我们边走边吃拔丝苹果
and I did think, here is a chance to talk to him about the war -
我觉得这是一个跟他谈论战争的好时机
got to try and talk to him about it.
我试着跟他谈论战争
So I asked him about sleep. Was it easy to sleep in the trenches?
我问他 在战壕里睡得着吗?
Did he ever get used to it? And what did he say?
有没有习惯那样的生活? 他怎么说?
He said he didn't really remember, even though it was only a year after the war.
尽管战争才结束一年 他却说他不记得了
He didn't really remember about sleep.
他一点儿都不记得当时怎么睡着的
And we walked along together eating our toffee apples
我们就只好边走边吃拔丝苹果
and that was the last time I ever spoke to him.
那是我最后一次跟他说话
Shall I tell you the brutal truth? The brutal truth?
要我告诉你一个残忍♥的事实吗? 残忍♥的事实?
That sounds promising. Tell me the brutal truth, Louis, just as long as it's on the fucking record.
听起来有戏 Louis 把能发表的东西统统告诉我吧
This is on the record, but you won't want to print it.
这个可以写 但你不会想发表的
I'm sure I will. No, I know you won't.
我会的 不 我知道你不会
Thanks for providing the sandwiches, by the way.
顺便说一句 谢谢你的三明治
There's champagne.
还有香槟呢
But at this rate, you're not going to earn it.
但以你目前的表现还不值得我拿香槟招待
Don't rush to judgment, Stanley.
Stanley 现在下结论为时尚早
What is the brutal truth?
残酷的事实到底是什么?
It is that people don't like the idea of me being English, not even you.
所有人 甚至包括你 都不希望我是英国人
What have I done to deserve that?
你怎么会这么想我?
It's true, they prefer to think of me as an American.
事实就是如此 人们宁愿相信我是美国人
The most frequent question I get asked is,
'你是不是很快就要回美国了?'
"Are you going back to America soon?"
这是我最常被问到的问题
Yes, but that only proves what a novelty you are, not a minstrel band.
那只能说明你很有范儿 一点儿都不像流浪歌♥手
I'm not sure that's what they mean when they ask that.
我不清楚他们为什么那么问我
Of course, many people are prejudiced,
我承认 很多人对此持有偏见
but there are many that aren't, and those numbers are growing.
但也有很多人不介意肤色 而且这样的人越来越多
Is that Stanley Mitchell's own research?
这是你自己的研究结论吗?
In a way, yes.
可以这么说
It is my considered opinion as a professional observer of the current scene.
我从一个专业观察者的角度 对时下趋势作出的判断
Is that what you are, a professional observer?
你觉得你是一名专业观察员?
Anyway, if you were American, and you were there now,
如果你真的是生活在美国的当地人
in quite a few states
在相当一部分的州里
they'd put you in jail for sleeping with a white woman.
你会因为睡了白人女人而把被抓进监狱
I'm just going to sit here and eat your sandwiches until you move on to something else.
在你转移话题之前 我就打算坐在这儿吃你的三明治
I'm certainly not going to comment on that.
绝不对你说的话作任何评论
Of course I'm not going to write about your personal life!
我压根儿就不会提到你的私生活!
D'you think I'm that kind of journalist?
你觉得我是那种记者吗?
I'm quite offended. I will make one observation, however.
你冒犯我了 我会做一个观察报告的
It's that you, Stanley Mitchell, have never been to America.
Stanley Mitchell 其实你从没去过美国吧
You are deeply fascinated by it,
虽然你对那里非常着迷
of course, but you have absolutely no idea what it's really like.
但事实上你对它的真实面貌一无所知
I haven't been to America, yet, no.
我的确还没去过美国
My mum hadn't heard an American accent until a couple of years ago when we went to the talkies.
我母亲直到几年前看有声电影才第一次听到美式口音
That was the same for most of the country. They hadn't heard it either.
这个国家的大多数人都是如此 他们也从未听过美音
She said, "Oooh, so that's what they sound like!"
她会说 '呜 原来美音是这样的!'
Yes.
没错
To state the obvious, I have seen more of the world than you.
很明显 我见的世面比你多
So, Mr Lester,
那么Lester先生
what's it like being a coloured musician in London now?
作为一个黑人音乐人 在伦敦让你有什么感受?
This is off the record now, Stanley. Oh, fuck...
下面的内容不能记录 Stanley 噢...
When you are a coloured person, you are very visible, of course,
因为你的肤色 人群中你会特别显眼
and people make remarks all the time, you get used to it.
人们到处都对你指指点点 慢慢你也就习惯了
Sometimes you can't ignore them,
有时候你无法忽视那些非议
most of the time you find a way, or at least I do, of letting it slip past you.
但大多数时候 至少我找到一个办法可以摆脱那些议论
But at the same time you are invisible.
但同时你也成了隐形人
Because you are coloured,
因为你是有色人种
you are obviously not a person of consequence.
你就理所当然成为了无关紧要的人
"Of course, how could he be!"
'当然 他能怎么样!'
So even if you hear something very private,
即使你听到了很私密的对话
people think you'll never know anybody important enough to repeat it to.
人们也不怕你会传给什么重要人物 因为你压根儿不认识他们
And if you are a musician that is doubly true,
如果你是个音乐人 那就更是如此了
because you are just providing the background sound to all these
因为你只是为那些大人物配乐的人
so they often behave as if you don't exist people's lives,
所以他们常常忽视你的存在
and you get to hear some very intimate things.
而你也可以借此听到一些很私密的事情
For instance, on some of the big ocean crossings, just after the financial crash,
比如说 在金融危机后的一些大型海上聚会中
when I was playing in first class, i heard people talking about killing themselves right in front of me.
当我在头等舱演奏时 他们当着我的面讨论自杀
And I heard other people laying out all their business plans,
而其他人将自己的生意计划和盘托出
exactly how they were going to destroy their rivals.
尤其是他们将如何摧毁竞争对手
So I feel quite lucky in a way to have been able to eavesdrop on so many people,
能听到这么多人的谈话我觉得很幸运
as part of the furniture of their lives.
而我就像他们生活中的摆设
And now, because I have had success,
而现在我出名了
people don't talk like that in front of me any more.
他们再也不会像从前那样毫不避讳地在我面前交谈了
Give me some more examples of what you've heard.
多跟我讲讲你听到的秘密吧
You think I'm mad?
你以为我傻的?
I'm not sure about all this invisible, visible stuff.
我不太肯定那些看得见 看不见的东西
It's all a bit over-prepared for me, it's a bit too polished.
这些已经超出我的预期了 你似乎太圆滑了
But isn't that who I am, Stanley?
Stanley 但这才是真正的我
A bit of polish is good.
圆滑一点是好事
Oh, right, yes, the old Louis Lester polish -I forgot, of course!
噢 我差点把Louis Lester式的圆滑给忘了!
Well, answer me this then, Mr Louis Lester.
Louis Lester先生 请回答我
Do you consider yourself a radical person? Somebody who has left-leaning sympathies?
你觉得你自己是个拥护左派的激进分子吗?
Well, generally I'm not a political person.
总的来说我并不热衷于政♥治♥
Of course, we live at a time when there is a huge gap between the rich and the poor,
不可否认 我们处在一个贫富差距巨大的时代
and naturally like most reasonable people,
跟大多数明理的人一样
I don't believe that's right, but I'm not a communist.
我不觉得这是一个合理的状态 但我不是共♥产♥主义者
I suppose I believe that there's never just one solution to any given problem.
我坚信解决问题 不会只有一种方法
God help us. You're not talking to the Daily Express, you know.
饶了我吧 你可不是在接受《每日快报》的采访
I'm very aware of that. They would have prepared for this interview a lot better.
我知道 他们肯定会准备得比你充分
So what's your conclusion about how things are, from all this invisibility?
从你的隐形人经历中 你得出了什么结论?
The position you've been in, which you seem to regard as quite a lucky position?
与你目前的身份相比 你觉得哪个更好些?
And you're going to yell at me, because it's so obvious.
你大概要来吼我了 因为答案显而易见
Probably.
也许吧
My conclusion is there's a hell of a lot of ignorance about people like me.
我的结论是 跟我一样被忽视的人太多了
From most people? From everybody.
从大多数人得来的结论? 所有人
From everybody? Well, fucking hell Louis,
所有人? 得了吧 Louis
it's a good job we're doing this interview then, isn't it?
至少这次访谈是件好事 对吧?
The feeling in the ballroom of the Imperial Hotel
在帝国饭店的舞厅里
剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表