剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表
If you break your promise, it could be fatal for me, you understand?
如果你食言 我会有生命危险 你懂吗?
I understand.
我明白
Good.
很好
Oh, it's going to be Pamela, isn't it?
那人是Pamela 对不对
It's going to be one of her nutty, upper-class friends on the phone, isn't it?
是她在上流社会的古怪朋友打的电♥话♥ 是吗?
Hello, Louis.
你好 Louis
You've got to promise you won't try and make her tell you who this lady is.
你要保证你不会逼迫她透露这位女士的身份
Oh, now I've got to promise, do I? What is this all about, Louis?
现在轮到我保证了 这是干嘛啊 Louis
Unless you promise I won't tell you.
除非你保证 否则我不会告诉你的
I'll have to promise, then, won't I?
我必须保证 对吗?
And mean it.
我是认真的
I mean it.
我也是
I mean it.
我也是
Good evening, Pamela.
晚上好 Pamela
I'm here with the person you know as Josephine.
我和Josephine在一起
And she's got something to tell you which she hasn't told me,
她会告诉你一些我不知道的事情
and which she won't tell you until I've left the room,
等我离开房♥间之后 她才肯说
but I'm letting you know she's not batty, not batty in any way,
但我要告诉你 她不古怪 一点也不
and I think what she's got to tell you
我认为她即将告诉你的事情
might make you understand something.
会让你明白一些事
May make me understand what?
明白什么?
Well, I'm guessing, of course, because I don't know what special thing she has to tell you,
我也仅仅是猜测 因为我不知道她要告诉你什么
but I'm sure it has something to do with the world of my parents and their friends,
但我确定是关于我父母和他们的圈子
and their country house parties and all the things they hate.
他们的乡村派对 还有他们憎恶的事情
You know, of course, already, how they hate what they call niggers,
你肯定知道 他们有多恨他们口中的黑鬼
and they hate Jews, and they hate the Irish, and they hate the French
他们恨犹太人 爱尔兰人 法国人
and the Americans, everything American,
和美国人 以及一切和美国有关的东西
and they hate musicians, and they hate actors, and they hate gypsies,
他们恨音乐家 恨演员 恨吉普赛人
and they hate homosexuals,
他们恨同性恋
even though some of them are queer themselves.
即使他们当中就有同性恋
So many hates, and they find new ones all the time!
他们恨得如此广泛 而且总能找到新的猎物!
And the funny thing is,
有趣的是
and I mean funny in an awful way,
我指的一种恶劣的趣味
they spend a lot of time in their beautiful houses
他们花大把时间修缮漂亮的房♥子
with the most wonderful gardens,
打理美丽的花♥园♥
but they never look properly at what they've actually got!
但他们从不珍视他们所拥有的!
They move around their lovely, lovely properties
他们走在美丽的花♥园♥
with so much loathing going through them.
心中却充满怨恨
My father, he had a good education
我父亲 他受过良好教育
better than the one he provided for me.
比他提供给我的教育还要好
And do you know what he says?
但你知道他说什么吗?
"Too many fucking pictures!"
"太多他妈的画了"
"Too many fucking pictures on our fucking walls!" That's what he says.
'墙上挂太多操蛋的画了' 他就是这么说的
Of course, I know I shouldn't talk about all the families whose houses I've been to like that,
当然了 我不该一棒子把他们都打死
and probably I'm being so unfair,
可能我有失公允
because they can't all be like that, can they?
因为他们不可能全是那样 对吗?
But, actually, I want to be unfair,
但我就是不想为他们辩护
because I want to make you listen to Josephine.
因为我想让你听Josephine要讲的话
I'm going to leave the room now.
我现在要离开房♥间了
I'm handing the phone back, and I'm leaving.
我把电♥话♥给她 我走了
She said all that to you?
她和你说了那么多
She did.
是的
More than she's said to me.
对我说的远没你多
I bet.
我相信
You will keep your promise, though?
你会遵守诺言的 是吧?
Not got a reason to break it,not yet.
还没有让我不遵守承诺的理由 到目前为止
Are you still there?
你还在听吗?
Yes.
是的
We're alone now, just you and me,Mr Lester.
现在就我们两个人 你和我 Lester先生
What do you want to tell me?
你到底想告诉我什么?
Well, what I have to tell you is this, and God forgive me.
那好吧 我其实想告诉你的事是这样的 愿上帝宽恕我
I know I'm not sure that I'm meant to,
我知道 我不是故意要这样的
but I do know
但是我确切知道
that Pamela's brother Julian showed you a little hole that allowed you
Pamela的弟弟Julian给了你一个机会
to spy on the freemasons in their temple in the basement of the Imperial Hotel.
从一个小孔中窥看帝国大厦的地下室里的共济会礼拜堂
'Is that true?'
这是真的吗?
'Oh, come on, Louis, because obviously I do know. Is it true?'
'得了吧 Louis 我是知道这件事的 这是不是真的?'
Yes. It was in a linen cupboard.
是 那是在被单存储室
A linen cupboard?
被单存储室?
How wonderful!
这太令人惊讶了!
You, in a linen cupboard, spying on the masons!
你 竟然在一个橱柜里窥视共济会会员!
And, I think I can assure you, it's all right,
我可以向你保证 这没什么关系
they're not going to come and slit your throat for that, for spying through a hole.
他们不会因为你从小孔里窥视他们而找你麻烦
Well, not today, anyway.
反正今天不会
So, this is what I've got to tell you, Louis.
所以 这就是我要告诉你的 Louis
My husband is a mason, just like Julian,
我的丈夫是其中的一员 和Julian一样
and members of the government and Civil Service, and not forgetting all sorts of rich people from the City of London.
还有政♥府♥的公职人员们和伦敦城里的富人们
And my husband is a member of the lodge in the basement of the Imperial Hotel.
而且我丈夫是共济会在帝国大厦的地下室支部的成员
And of course they have their silly rituals
他们有他们可笑的仪式
and they exchange gossip, and I'm sure raise some money for charity, too,
他们私下里谈论八卦 他们可能也为慈善募捐
because, well, that is what they say they do.
因为他们是这样声称的
And so there are a lot of very important people down there in this basement,
所以有相当多一部分重要人物也在这地下室里
and in other basements across the city,
和城里其他的地下室里
because they like basements best.
地下室是他们的最爱
And it goes without saying it is a very powerful group,
不用说 他们非常有权势团体
these lodges, a very powerful octopus,
这些分会就像一个强壮的八爪鱼
with its arms stretching out all over the place.
将它的触角伸向各个地方
And these people are not easily impressed, Louis, do you understand?
这些人可不是那么容易打发 Louis 你明白吗?
I'm sure they're not, no.
我也这么认为的 不
Not easily impressed at all.
很不容易打发
But just before the great financial crash,
但是 就在经济大危机之前
in the lodge that is in the basement of the Imperial, there was a new member who'd just joined,
在帝国大厦地下室新加入了一个会员
a little man called Mr Luke.
那个小个子叫Luke先生
And he did the most extraordinary thing.
而他却做了一件很了不起的事情
He prophesised the crash, and not just that,
他不仅预言了危机 不仅如此
he was right about every firm that went under
他还预测了哪些公♥司♥会倒闭
and every firm that managed to survive.
哪些公♥司♥能经受住打击
He was advising all the other members of the lodge what to do with their stocks and shares,
他建议其他人该怎么利用他们的股票和份额
but nobody listened to him.
但是却没人听他的
'But Mr Luke was right.'
'但是Luke先生是对的'
He made money when everybody else was hurt by the most grievous losses,
即使当其他人都受到严重损失的时候 他依然是盈利的
and naturally, everybody was amazingly impressed,
自然而然地 所有人都被他折服了
because a lot of them had lost their whole fortunes.
因为相当一大部分人倾家荡产
Of course, most of them still had their country estates,
当然 大多数人还是有他们的房♥产
but life looked, for a time, rather uncertain.
但是在那个时候 生活并不稳定
And here was Mr Luke, the wizard, whom nobody had listened to.
Luke先生 像魔术师一样 却没人听他的
But after a time, because he was such a funny little man,
但是过了一段时间 他是那么的风趣滑稽
and his manners were very abrupt, they stopped holding him in such awe,
他的行为举止又十分粗鲁 他们就对他不那么崇敬了
and started referring to him as the Fluke.
还称呼他为'侥幸的人'
And even though we are in the middle of a great depression,
即使我们还处在经济危机的阶段
most of the people found that they were still quite rich,
大部分人发现他们还是相当富有的
that they could sell a few of their assets, and life was good again.
他们只需要卖♥♥掉一小部分资产 生活就能重新好起来
And so not only did they not look to Mr Luke for advice,
他们不仅不向Luke先生寻求建议
they began to ignore him, wish he wasn't part of the lodge,
他们开始忽视他 希望他能脱离团体
that he would go elsewhere.
去哪都行
They began to refer to him as the Complete Fluke.
他们认为他除了运气好就一无是处了
And so he has remained, the Complete Fluke,
他一直留在那儿 那个幸运儿
who nobody really talked to, until a few weeks ago that is.
几乎没有人和他说话 直到几星期之前
'Are you still there?'
'你还在听吗?'
Yes, I am.
我在
I'm sorry. I just had to stop for a moment.
抱歉 我得停下来
I thought my husband was coming back, and if my husband finds me
我觉得是我丈夫回来了 如果他发现我告诉你这些
telling you this, I shall be in terrible trouble.
我就惹上大♥麻♥烦了
'No, it was somebody else, they've gone past,'
'不是 是别人 只是路过'
although I ought to keep an ear out.
尽管如此 我觉得我还是该小心点
My husband has very small feet, he creeps up.
我的丈夫脚很小 走起路来很轻
It's all right, I can go on. Do you want me to go on?
没事 我可以继续 你希望我继续说下去吗?
If you want to go on, Josephine.
如果你想要继续的话 Josephine
Well, what kind of an answer is that?
你这样说是什么意思?
I am risking things to tell you this.
我告诉你这些冒了很大的风险
剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表