剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表
During my friendship with Louis Lester and I think I can call it a pretty remarkable friendship -
我和Louis Lester 结下不解之缘以后
I made several attempts to interview him
我曾多次想在我的办公室
in my official capacity as Deputy Editor of Music Express.
也就是《音乐速递》的副主编室采访他
After all, I had championed his music and his band,
毕竟一直以来是我在为他们大力宣传 对他们大加赞扬
given them a lot of publicity and rave reviews. What was more
并一手捧红了他的音乐和乐队
natural than to follow this up with a really major interview?
他们接受我一次专访也就顺理成章了
I never got a chance to finish it though,
在那些把我们吞没的糟事来袭之前
before the terrible events that engulfed us all happened.
我一直没机会把访谈做完
But I firmly believe the fragments I got are worth publishing -
不过我坚信我手里资料虽零散 但却是值得发表的
especially as the conversation took such an unexpected turn,
特别是采访过程中出现了让人意想不到的转机
one I could never have predicted.
让我有了意料之外的收获
However, there was a problem with interviewing Louis,
不过在采访Louis时遇到了一个问题
as you will see.
看过访谈后你们就明白了
So, are you ready to do this?
可以开始采访了吗?
That depends. -Depends on what?
这得看情况 什么情况?
A few conditions. Conditions? What conditions?
我有几个条件 条件? 什么条件?
When I say something is not to be published,
如果我说有些内容不能公开
that means it's not to be published. You understand?
这些内容就不能发表出来 明白吗?
I don't know, we'll have to see about that.
我不能保证 我们再看吧
Depends how exciting you are on the record.
取决于你爆的料够不够爆♥炸♥
Well then, forget it. I've changed my mind.
那我改主意了 采访的事到此为止
That was a joke, Louis.
Louis 我逗你玩儿呢
When I say and listen to this, Stanley -
Stanley 听着
that you're not going to print something, that's what it means.
我说某些内容不能发表 就是不能发表
And you'd better not.
就照我说的做
You start by threatening me? I don't believe this!
你是在威胁我吗? 简直难以置信!
No, we start by making my conditions absolutely clear.
不 我只是想在采访开始前把条件讲清楚
Why don't we do it like on the wireless?
那我们干脆做电台采访好了
Is that what you want, all the questions and answers written out,
你是不是想像那些呆板得可笑的采访一样
like some ridiculously stilted interview?
事先把问题和回答都准备好
"It must be exciting to be a well-known coloured musician in London, Mr Lester"?
'Lester先生 成为伦敦著名的黑人音乐家一定很激动吧?'
Now you've promised not to write anything I don't want...
那么你同意不发表那些我不想...
Did I promise?
我答应了吗?
We both know that one of us is going to come out of this interview
你我都明白我们当中会有人因为这篇访谈而曝光
deeply regretting they agreed to it, and it may not be me, Stanley.
很遗憾他们同意了 Stanley 那个人可不是我
You're trying to scare me now? You think I can't?
你这是在恐吓我吗? 不可以吗?
I know you can't.
当然不行
I know I can.
我有这个能耐
My parents were both from Jamaica,
我父母都来自牙买♥♥加
my mother's family had come to England 15 years before my father.
我母亲家比父亲家早15年来到英国
He was a merchant seaman, travelled all over the world.
我父亲是个经商的水手 足迹遍布世界各地
That's what I started doing too, as you know -before I formed the band.
那也是我组建乐队前的干的事
I got my first job at sea, when I was 17...
17岁时我在海上的第一份工作...
You're in a bit of a hurry to leave your parents there.
不要急着把话题从你父母那儿转走
Let's just stay with them for a moment.
我们还是继续聊聊你父母吧
Your mother -what happened to her?
你母亲后来怎么样了?
My mother was in service. She was lucky.
我母亲很幸运 她找到一份仆人的工作
She had a job in a great house where there had been a tradition, on and off,
她在一栋大宅子里工作 那里有聘用黑人侍从的惯例
of having coloured servants going back to the 17th century.
这一惯例可以追溯到17世纪
There was a big picture somewhere in the house
大宅里有幅巨大的肖像画
of one of the dukes, at the time of Charles I,
画中是一位查尔斯一世时期的公爵
with his black page standing behind him.
公爵身后站着他的黑人侍卫
Why was she lucky to be there?
她怎么会有幸得到那份工作?
Because the lady of the house took an interest in her,
因为宅子的女主人受惠于她
which was very unusual -still is.
这位女士现在仍是地位显赫
And no, I'm not going to name her, because they're still very much
我不会说出她的名字 倒不因为这位女士本身
around at the moment, not the lady in question, but the family.
而是因为她的家族现在仍然活跃在上层社会
I read about their social engagements in The Times newspaper.
我曾在《泰♥晤♥士♥报♥》上看到他们家族的婚约
Hmm, maybe they're about to have a great party and they'll ask for your band to play there,
也许他们的订婚派对会邀请你的乐队去演奏
and you can return in triumph to where your mum worked.
那你就能回到你母亲工作过的地方 也算是荣归故里
The thought had occurred to me.
我是有过这个想法
How did this duchess, or whoever, take an interest in your mother?
这位公爵夫人 是如何受惠于你母亲的呢?
Just in small ways, of course. She gave her books to read,
只是一些不足挂齿的小事 我母亲给过一些书她看
she gave her Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray.
像威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷的《名利场》
My mother couldn't read, but didn't dare tell the lady of the house,
我母亲不识字 但她羞于告诉女主人
so she taught herself to read, and then she read the whole of Vanity Fair
后来她自学认字 终于把《名利场》看完了
and she gave it to me just before she died.
并在临死前把书留给了我
Have you read it? I have, yes,
你看了吗? 我看过
although I have to admit I did have to start it three times.
我得承认我不得不一遍又一遍从头开始看
Anyway, your mum and your dad -were you close?
好吧 你和你的父母关系怎么样?
No, that's all I want to say about them. Let's move on.
我父母的事就说到这 我们换个话题吧
That's twice you've tried not to talk about them.
这是你第二次想逃避这个话题
Is that all you're going to give me -your mum and Vanity Fair?
你母亲和《名利场》的故事就到此为止了吗?
Yes, this is off the record now, Stanley, and not to be printed.
不能记录以下内容 Stanley 这件事不能发表
You're only allowed three. Who says?
你只能说三次 谁说的?
I'm telling you, you're only allowed three "off the records", and I'm counting.
我说的 你只能说三次'不能记录' 我会数着的
Are you sure you want this to be one of them? Yes.
你确定刚才的事不发表吗? 是的
My mother had problems especially when my father was away at the war.
后来我母亲的身体出现了问题 尤其在我父亲离家赴战场后
She was in a state of constant fear.
她总是担惊受怕
She often screamed when she saw the postman walking down the street, or the telegraph boy.
看到街上有邮差或者电报员经过就害怕得尖叫
Yes, God, most hated boys, the telegraph boys.
最害怕看到电报员
I thought about doing that after the war started.
战争打响后 我曾想过做个电报员
Watched them coming down the street, and I remember thinking, no, no.
但看着他们经过大街 我当时就想 不 不
I never want to be one of those boys, constantly bringing news of death.
我绝不能加入他们 成为专门负责转达死亡消息的人
You look surprised.
你看起来很惊讶
-I was surprised, that's, er... -A bit serious for me?
我惊讶是因为... 因为我少有的严肃?
I didn't say that.
我没这么说
You meant it though. Leave it.
你就是这么想的 算了
I should never have interrupted when you're talking about your mum.
抱歉 你谈论母亲的时候我不该打断你的
My mother... Well, her moods became more and more frequent.
我母亲... 她的情绪起伏越来越大
She went mad?
她疯了吗?
That's why we're off the record, yes,
是的 所以这事不能发表
but I wouldn't say she went mad -she was...
但我不愿承认她疯了 她...
locked inside her own world.
把自己封锁在自己的世界里
Every night she yelled out at God, had this passionate conversation with Him.
她每晚都会呼喊上帝 和上帝恳切地交谈
She thought that a black soldier,
不知道为什么
for some reason, a black soldier was more likely to be killed.
她总觉得黑人士兵 更容易牺牲在战场上
I sometimes came across her, in the kitchen, quite naked, on her knees, praying, praying.
有时候我在厨房♥遇到她 她总是虔诚地跪在地上祈祷
I've never prayed in my life, Stanley,
Stanley 我这辈子从没祈祷过
and I certainly never intend to do so.
我也没想过要祈祷
But her prayers, it did bring him back.
但是我母亲的祈祷生效了 我父亲 她的挚爱 活着回来了
Her great love. She only had eyes for him, always just for him.
她的挚爱 她的眼里永远只容得下他
But then my father, he never really spoke about the war.
但是我父亲不愿再谈及那场战争
Nobody wants to talk about the war. -I know.
没有人愿意谈论战争 我知道
It's as if, at the moment, there isn't a single person who wants to remember the war.
那时候似乎一个人都不愿去想那场战争
We were lucky, so bloody lucky, to be young enough to just miss all that.
我们那时候还年幼 有幸躲过一劫 是我们的福气
I remember going down the river one day, just after the war had started, sunny afternoon,
我还记得战争打响后 在一个阳光灿烂的午后
went down to the beach at Battersea
我去巴特西的海滩游泳
where at low tide you can wade out into the river.
低潮时你能在水里尽情地嬉戏
The boats were all going past, still a lot of young men on them,
我看着来来往往的船只 船上的年轻人
taking their girls out on the water.
和自己心爱的姑娘道别
And there was this one girl standing on the river bank,just above the beach.
其中一个女孩儿站在海滩上面的堤岸上
She had a young man with her,
她和一个年轻小伙在一起
and her dog, and she tied the dog to a tree.
还有她的狗 她把狗拴在树上
And then they were kissing really passionately, just near me,
接着他们就在我旁边忘情地吻了起来
and touching each other all over.
他们抚遍对方的每一寸肌肤
I was only 11, it was a tremendous free show.
这对于11岁的我来说 就是一场壮观的免费秀
And I... I watched it all.
我看下了整个过程
She says goodbye to him. He was in uniform, he was going to the war.
后来她跟他告别 他穿着制♥服♥ 即将踏上战场
And then he leaves her.
然后他们分开了
She turns round, and the dog was gone, it'd managed to get free,
她回转身来 发现狗不见了 狗挣脱了绳子跑掉了
so she starts running all over the park trying to find the dog.
她开始满公园找狗
I decided to help her. I mean, after that wonderful show,
看过那场精彩的表演后 我决定帮她一起找狗
that was the least I could do.
我也只能帮她到这了
And I remember so clearly, when I was helping to try and find her dog,
我还清楚地记得 帮她找狗的时候
how joyful she was at what had just happened,
她还沉浸在之前的喜悦中
because he must have said how much he truly loved her,
尽管他的离去让她伤心欲绝
and yet how sad she was at the same time because he'd gone.
但同时她又为刚才情人对她的一番表白激动不已
She was so full of both those things at once
那一刻她内心悲喜交集
and I could feel it so strongly because I was right next to her.
我与她近在咫尺 所以强烈地感受到了这一点
剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表