剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表
when the band played used to vary wildly from night to night.
乐队的演奏风格变化莫测 每晚都不尽相同
From high excitement to complete incomprehension.
观众从兴致高昂到完全理解无能
The performance I really wish I'd been there for was
我真后悔圣诞夜没去看表演
when they played to the old dowagers on Christmas Day as they tucked into their puddings,
看看他们为大嚼布丁的老顽固们奉上的演出
the old ladies looking to see if they'd been lucky and got a sixpence in their portion.
那些老妇人只关心她们是否有运气吃出一枚6便士硬币
Never had there been a more unlikely audience for jazz music.
爵士乐大概没有比她们更不像样的观众了
And yet, I'm told, there was a feeling of reasonable tolerance in the room,
我听说里面原本的气氛还是可以忍♥受的
broken only by the shocking spectacle of members
但德国使♥馆♥的一众拂袖而去以示抗♥议♥
of the German Embassy walking out in protest.
于是原来的气氛就被破坏了
Which just helps to prove how powerful the right music can be when it confronts the wrong audience.
好音乐遇上错的观众 恰好可以证明好音乐能有多大的威力
For some reason, you're not asking me the question you really want to ask.
你似乎并没有问出你真正关心的问题
Oh, how very idiotic of me. And why am I not asking that question?
那我真是太蠢了 为什么我不问呢?
I don't know, Stanley. I don't know why you're pussyfooting around.
我不知道 Stanley 我不明白你为什么顾左右而言他
What is that question? This is off the record.
你觉得我想问什么? 不能记录以下内容
That's three down, now. Come on, you've had your lot.
已经满三次了 你已经用完了配额
We'll see about that.
我会看着办的
The question you're not asking is why are so many upper class people...
你想问我为什么那么多上流社会的人物...
No, not so many, that's quite wrong. Why are some upper class people,
不 没有很多 我说错了 应该是某些上流人物
including royalty,
包括皇室
so interested in jazz music and black musicians?
为什么对爵士乐和黑人音乐人那么感兴趣?
Ah, well, I don't have to ask that question,
好吧 其实我没必要问这个问题
for the very simple reason, I know the answer.
原因很简单 我知道答案
You know?
你知道?
Yes, it's easy cos they find it very sexually exciting.
是啊 答案显而易见 因为爵士乐极富挑逗性
So that's the reason, is it?
你觉得这就是答案?
You can look me in the eye, and tell me that's not the reason? Go on, try.
你敢看着我的眼睛 告诉我我说的不对么?
Some of that is true.
一定程度上是对的
What do you mean? It is the truth.
什么叫一定程度上? 这就是事实
If you're talking about Prince George.
你说的是乔治亲王
Certainly the princes, but not just the princes.
当然是贵族老爷们 但不仅限于他们
It is exotic for them, that is the attraction, and a change.
是异域风情吸引了他们 也是一种新体验
From the ghastly Jack Paynton,and all those terrible foxtrots!
跟可怕的Jack Paynton和蹩脚的狐步舞曲大不同!
I agree about that,but if you want my opinion...
我不反对 但如果你问我意见的话...
That is why I'm here.
我就是为此而来的
They find in the music a chance to escape,
他们能在音乐中寻求到一种解脱
for a minute or two,
哪怕只有一两分钟
from all the rules and codes of behaviour they have to live by.
打破那些条条框框加给他们的的层层束缚
But you love all that, don't you?
但你热爱他们 是不是?
Love what?
爱什么?
Royalty. And all the rules of etiquette. Having to bow to them.
贵族们 他们全套的礼仪 对他们毕恭毕敬
Having the chance to talk to them for a few precious seconds,
跟他们说上几句话都觉得是莫大的荣耀
having to play for them, having to answer their dumb questions.
喜欢为他们表演 回答他们脑残的提问
I'm right, aren't I?
我没说错吧?
It is an exciting challenge, putting on a performance for a royal audience, yes.
为贵族们演出是激动人心的挑战 你没说错
Come on, I can't believe you just said that.
得了吧 真不敢相信你说出这种话来
You're not on the bloody wireless!
你以为是在电台节目上吗
And an honour too, of course,a great honour.
为他们表演是我的荣幸 莫大的荣幸
"Mr Louis Lester says it's a great honour playing for the Royal Family!"
'Louis Lester先生说为贵族们表演是莫大的荣幸'
Well, fuck me, Louis, that is the scoop of the century, right, Louis?
Louis 杀了我吧 这是本世纪最佳专访 是不是?
Do you consider yourself famous?
你认为自己是个名人么?
No. But you are quite famous,right at the moment.
不 但你现在名气确实不小呀
The band has had success.
乐队成功了
Jessie, our lead singer,has had great success, yes.
Jessie 我们的主唱 她取得了巨大的成功
So the band is famous?
所以是乐队出名了?
The band is well-known, at the moment, yes.
现在乐队为众瞩目 没错
What's the biggest change that fame has brought you?
名气给你带来的最大变化是什么?
What can you do now you couldn't before?
什么事是现在能做到 而以前不能的?
Well, being able to use the front entrance at the Imperial Hotel.
嗯 能走帝国饭店的正门
Mmmm. Being able to call for a taxi,having some money,
嗯 能打电♥话♥叫计程车 有了一点小钱
not having to worry about members of the band being deported
不用担心乐队成员被驱逐出境
because we have regular work.
因为我们有了固定工作
So you feel much safer, much more secure?
你觉得更安全 更安心了?
Of course, as much as anybody can at the moment.
当然 现在能像普通人一样安心了
Do you think you've had to be quite ruthless to get where you are?
是不是非得冷酷无情你们才能走到今天这一步?
No, I don't think that, no.
不 我不这么认为
But your manager, Wesley Holt, was deported over a year ago,
但你的经理人Wesley Holt 一年多之前被驱逐出境
ending a long association between you,
你们共事的时间可不短
and that didn't seem to affect you that deeply.
但你们似乎并没受到什么影响
On the contrary,it was a very difficult time.
错 那是一段艰难的时期
Didn't seem to throw you off your stride at all. I wouldn't put it like that.
但完全没有影响你们前进的步伐 我不这么看
We had many months when I felt the band was making no progress
我觉得乐队有好几个月都毫无长进
and we were going nowhere. As you well know, Stanley.
而且我们无处可去 这你是知道的 Stanley
And Wesley Holt? Do you know what happened to him?
那Wesley Holt呢? 知道他后来怎么样了么?
We've lost touch.
我们失了联络
You've made no attempt to find out what happened to him?
你都没有尝试打探一下他的音讯么?
Of course I have. I've made several attempts.
当然打探过 我没少花力气
There was a serious court case pending in the state of Illinois,
伊利诺斯州法♥院♥有一桩重案还悬而未决
wasn't there, for him? I believe so.I'm sure he didn't go back there.
是他犯的事么? 对的 我想他不会回那里去
Do you know if he's dead or alive?
你知道他现在是死是活么?
I'm sure he's alive.
我确信他还活着
So why haven't you heard from him?
那为什么他没联♥系♥过你?
Because I think he may have felt that i could have done more about his situation.
我想他可能会觉得 当时我能拉他一把却没帮他
I'm not sure I could have done.
我当时也是有心无力
Would you like me to find out what happened to him?
用我帮忙打探一下他的情况么?
Of course, if you think you can.
当然 如果你有办法的话
Maybe I'll try my own line of enquiry.
我自有法子
My point is, how has success changed you? Your personality?
我要问的是 成功如何改变了你? 你的性格?
In my experience it changes most people. So how has it changed you?
就我的经验而言 成功通常会把人改变 你呢?
You've got to answer. You've got to allow me underneath the surface
你得回答我 你得让我往深处挖掘
otherwise all this is pointless.How have you changed?
否则这访谈就没有一点意义 你到底哪里变了?
I will answer that. Go on.
我会回答的 说吧
But in this way, Stanley.And it's not what you're expecting.
但是 Stanley 我给出的答案可能不是你想要的
Surprise me, Louis.
我愿意奉陪
There has been a very interesting side to the little bit of fame we've had,
我们仅有的那点儿名气有它非常有趣的一面
something you could never guess at.
你想破脑袋都想不到的一面
And it'll give you a story. Marvellous.
那可有得你写的 好极了
But you've got to do a bit of work for it first.
但你得先做点功课
You've got to speak to Carla, and to Jessie,
你去跟Carla还有Jessie聊一聊吧
and then you might know what question to ask.
然后你就知道该问什么问题?
You're setting me tasks now? I am.
你这是在给我安排家课吗? 对的
Is this because I've started asking you awkward questions?
是在报复我那些让你尴尬的问题么?
No, it's not,
不 不是
it's because that's all the time I can spare you now.
因为我现在没时间跟你在这里耗着了
Jessie's impossible to talk to.
不可能跟Jessie搭上话的
She won't talk about herself,absolutely refuses to!
聊她自己的事儿 她肯定拒绝
Get Carla on your side and maybe she will.
Carla要是帮你 Jessie就会接受采访的
What's she going to tell me?
她会告诉我什么?
Oh, you infuriating bastard.
这个混♥蛋♥要气死我了
Carla always got very nervous before she sang.
Carla唱歌♥之前总是特别紧张
She had extraordinary presence
她在台上表现极佳
but didn't seem to realise the effect she had on people,
但她似乎并未意识到自己的感染力
how much they were drawn to watch her.
人们趋之若鹜来观摩她的表演
Did Louis say this was all right?
Louis说这样没关系么?
He did.He said I had to talk to you.
对 他说我必须得跟你聊聊
I can't see why. What are you going to find out from me?
我不明白 你想从我这里问出什么来?
Well, I'm trying to do a really full interview about Louis and the success of the band
我想就Louis和乐队的成功进行一个全面的访谈
and Louis believes strongly that you should be in the article. So do I, of course.
他强烈建议我要把你也写进来 我当然十分赞同
I see.
我明白了
I'm interested in how success has changed you and the band,
我很想知道 乐队的成功改变了你什么
if it has, that is?
肯定有变化的吧
Well, we've been so lucky,so very lucky, in all sorts of ways.
嗯 不管在哪方面 我们都是幸运儿 相当的幸运
I mean, not having to worry about food, about being hungry, for a start.
首先 再不用担心没有吃的 不用忍♥饥挨饿
Have you ever been hungry?
你挨过饿么?
On occasions, yes, like walking home after school.
有过 偶尔吧 比如放学回家的路上
You've never been hungry, have you?
你没挨过饿 是吧?
Well, not like you, Carla, no.
嗯 跟你那种没法比
Well, the biggest difference for me,
嗯 对我来说最大的变化
the very biggest difference success has meant to me,
成功给我带来最大的改变
was going into fortnum and Mason's and having three Welsh Rarebits,
就是去到Fortnum and Mason's餐厅 点三份乳酪面包片
one after another,
一片一片吃下去
剧集 | 边缘之舞(2013) | 导航列表