the media and a chance for self-dramatization
和刷存在感的行为影响
that they'll do anything to gain a spotlight.
大家都想要得到注意
I am alarmed that you would
我不赞同你把这些
reduce these people to a cultural stereotype.
简单归类为刻板现象
Not everybody's dream is to get on Jerry Springer.
并不是每个人都梦想上电视
Psychologists often speak of the denial of an unthinkable evil
心理学家常常提到否认魔鬼
or a misplacement of shared fears.
或是共同恐惧的取代
Anxieties taking the form of a hideous monster
人们的恐惧就成为了
for whom the most horrific human attributes can be ascribed.
一个最丑陋的怪兽
What... what we can't possibly imagine ourselves capable of,
我们自己想象不出来
we can blame on the ogre,
就把一切怪在食人魔鬼
on the hunchback, on the lowly half-breed.
敲钟怪人和混种恶魔身上
Common sense will tell you these legends,
光是常识就可以解释
these unverified rumours, are ridiculous.
这些谣言都是荒唐的
But, nonetheless, unverifiable,
可是也无法判断
and thus true in the sense that they're believed to be true.
因此 有人相信所以算是真的
Is there anything you don't believe in?
穆德 有什么事情是你不相信的
What's that sound?
那是什么声音
It's the Great Mutato!
突变怪人 去哪里了
Where'd it go? I don't know. I lost it.
不知道 没追上
There. Up there.
那边 上面
Turn that damn thing off!
把手电筒关掉
You're on my property.
你们私闯我的土地
We're with the FBI.
我们是调查局探员
They're not. We were...
他们不是 我们
We were chasing what they told us was a monster.
我们只是在追他们说的怪物
Monster? What did I tell you boys?
怪物 我是怎么说的
There ain't no monster.
这里根本没有怪物
I'll show you the monster you're lookin' for.
我给你们看你们要找的怪物
Who sent you here? Your father.
是谁叫你们来的 你的父亲
My father is a simpleton farmer.
我父亲只是个农夫
He understands nothing of my scientific achievements.
根本不懂我的科学成就
What achievements are those?
什么成就
What makes you think you'd understand?
你难道比他们更懂
Well, I'm a scientist, for one.
我也是个科学家
Then you probably know that
那你也许会知道
once in a generation, perhaps once in a lifetime,
一辈子也许会有一次
a truth is uncovered which
我们会发现
thrusts mankind into a shocking new consciousness,
激发人类智慧的真理
turning accepted notions of our very existence on their head.
完全颠覆人类所既有的概念
Consider relativity. The double helix.
比如说 相对论
And now the homeotic hox gene,
还有现在的同源异形基因
for which I will undoubtedly
我一定会成为
have my place among the Columbus's of science
科学界的哥伦布
as a visionary leader of men, yes?
一个有远见的领袖 什么事
What do you want me to do with these, Dr Polidori?
波利多教授 这要我怎么处理
Never mind.
算了
What is the homeotic hox gene?
同源异形基因是什么
She's a scientist. Ask her.
她是科学家 问她
I, uh... I believe that it has
应该是与成长发育
something to do with, um... growth and development.
有关的
If you two will excuse me, I don't have time for this.
两位失陪 我没时间浪费
I have to travel tonight to the
我今晚
University of Ingolstadt
要去英格斯塔特大学
to deliver an international address.
参加国际座谈会
Sir, unless you want your scientific achievements
除非你希望自己的成就
to end up as a footnote on the Jerry Springer Show,
变成脱口秀的花边
I suggest that you make the time.
你最好给我们一点时间
Jerry Springer Show?
脱口秀
Witness the morphogenesis of drosophila.
大家看到果蝇的
The fruit fly.
成长过程
What you are watching has been going on for millennia -
你们所看到的千年来没有变化过
since the Cambrian period some 580 million short years ago,
自从五亿多年前
when drosophila was first born.
果蝇刚刚诞生时
See the elegant symmetry with which the pupa grows
请看看优雅的对称
into a series of beautiful segments.
果蝇分♥裂♥成很漂亮的部分
What we have found...
我们所发现的是
what I have found
我发现的
is that these segments represent a linear model
这些部分是线条模型
for the genetic development of our friend the fly.
代表着苍蝇的遗传发展
Each gene is responsible
每个基因
for the development of its corresponding segment -
都与一个部分的发育有关
the legs, the mouth, the body, posterior and anterior -
腿部 口部 身体 后半段 前半段
but which I, through my genius,
因为我杰出的发现
can alter into a creation of my own.
都可以进行改变
Behold, proboscopedia.
你们注意看这个
This fly has legs--
这个苍蝇的腿是…
Growing out of his mouth.
从嘴巴里长出来的
Why would you do that?
你为什么要这么做
Because I can.
因为我做得到
Could that be done in humans?
人类也可以如此吗
That would go against every scientific convention.
这会有悖于科学伦理
But could it be done?
办得到吗
Theoretically.
理论上可以
Good night, Dr Frankenstein.
晚安 科学怪人
Despite what you might think, Mulder,
不管你怎么想 穆德
designer mutations like these are virtually impossible on humans.
人类不可能有这么奇怪的变种
That's not what I just heard. Mulder, even if they could,
这和他说的不同 就算可以
no scientist would even dare
没有科学家
to perform these kind of experiments on a human.
会敢做这样的实验
Well, then, why do them at all?
那为什么要做实验
To... unlock the mysteries of genetics.
为了解开遗传之谜
To understand why, even though we share the same genes,
了解为什么是那样 虽然我们有一样的基因
we develop arms instead of wings,
人类有手 而不是翅膀
We become humans instead of flies or monsters.
我们是人类而不是苍蝇或怪物
But given the power, who could resist...
只要拥有这种能力 谁能抗拒得了
resist the temptation to create life in his own image?
以自己的形象来创造生命的诱惑
We already have that ability, Mulder. It's called procreation.
我们已经有这种能力了 那就是繁殖
And first thing tomorrow morning,
明天早上第一件事
I'm gonna verify the pregnancy of Shaineh Berkowitz.
就是为伯科威茨太太验孕
When are you comin' home again? Huh?
你什么时候回家 什么
When are you comin' home again? What?
你什么时候回家 什么
We were gonna have that talk. Soon.
我们需要好好的谈谈 很快
Soon. We'll have our talk soon.
我们很快就会谈
That's what you always say.
你总是这么说
Elizabeth, you know how I feel about children.
伊莉莎伯 你知道我对孩子的看法
They're mewling little monsters.
孩子就是小怪物
But I want children.
可是我要生孩子
What happened to our dream?
我们的梦想呢
Of getting out of this place,
我们不是要离开这个鬼地方吗
getting away from this hick town?
离开这个乡下
I think that's your dream.
那好象是你的梦想
Elizabeth, what do you want? A baby? Or a Nobel prize?
伊丽莎白 你要什么 宝宝还是诺贝尔奖
See you on Thursday.
星期四见
Hot plates! Hot, hot, hot!Biscuits, fritters, grits,
盘子很烫 面包 煎饼 玉米粉
Flapjacks,eggs - boiled, scrambled, poached and fried.
燕麦饼 水煮蛋 炒蛋 煎蛋 荷包蛋
We got some monster grapefruits on the way.
还有怪物葡萄柚 特别大
Bigger than your head, almost.
几乎比你的头还大
I'd... I'd just like some coffee, thanks.
我只想喝点咖啡 谢谢
On the house. Compliments of JJ.
没问题 杰杰请客
That's with two Js.
两个杰
Is it true Jerry Springer's comin' to town?
脱口秀真的要来我们这里吗
We've been had.
我告诉你 我们被骗了
I'll save you the trouble of reading it.
你不必看报纸了
It has everything that we talked about last night. Word for word.
这和我们昨晚谈到的一字不差
Izzy Berkowitz!
伊西 滚过来
Get your butt front and center! What did I do?
我做了什么事 我怎么说呢
All I can say is, I hope the answer to that question is nothin'.
我希望你什么都没有做
We believe you or one of your
我们认为你或你的朋友
friends recorded our conversation last night
录下昨晚的对话
剧集 | X档案(1993) | 导航列表