剧集 | 波士顿法律(2004) | 导航列表
的产品或者服务 还有降低成本
terrific product or service, and he must keep costs down.
现在Kurt Loomis运营着一间
一流的第三方支付公♥司♥
Now Kurt Loomis runs a first-rate escrow company,
而他为员工的利益着想
and he wants to do right by his employees
想要向他们提供健康保险
by offering them health insurance,
但是如果他不能控制
在健康保险方面的大额支出
but if he doesn't keep his biggest expense in check, health care,
他就会失去一切
he loses everything.
因此他要制定一种非常严格的禁烟政策
So he instituted a very strict no-smoking policy.
那么一来Loomis先生不仅可以控制成本
Now Mr. Loomis is not only reducing his business costs,
也可以激励他的员工戒烟
he's also helping his employees who smoke by giving them motivation to quit.
而Joan Zeder清楚知道公♥司♥的政策
Now Joan Zeder knew the company policy.
她有足够的时间去尝试戒烟
She was given ample time to quit smoking,
而且她知道如果不那么做她将会被解雇
and she knew she'd be fired if she didn't,
但是她仍然选择了香烟
but she chose cigarettes over her job
而且由于Zeder小姐是任意雇用制员工
and because Ms. Zeder is an at-will employee,
Loomis先生有权利解雇她
Mr. Loomis had a legal right to fire her.
至于香烟会对她造成什么伤害
And as to what smoking is doing to her health,
她可以读一读烟盒上的警告标语
she can read the warning label on the pack.
伟大的爱尔兰剧作家萧伯纳
The great Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw
对我们国家怀有相当大的偏见
had a rather jaundiced view of our country.
他说我们制定宪法来防止政♥治♥上的专♥政♥
Shaw said that while our Constitution was set up to prevent political dictatorship,
为了做到这点 我们建立了充满独♥裁♥者的社会
in doing so, we established a society where every ward boss is a dictator,
每个金融家都是独♥裁♥者
每个公♥司♥老板都是独♥裁♥者
every financier a dictator, every private employer a dictator,
员工们在他们的仁慈中卑微地生活
all with the livelihood of the workers at their mercy.
如果Loomis先生想要效仿墨索里尼那一套
Well, if Mr. Loomis wants to emulate Mussolini
来对待他的员工 那是另外一回事
in how he treats his employees at the office, that's one thing,
但是Joan Zeder的工作是无可挑剔地出色
but Joan Zeder's actions at work have always been commendable.
于是Loomis先生想要把他的控制权
延伸到Zeder小姐的家中
Mr. Loomis also declared himself emperor over Ms. Zeder in her home.
在那儿他发现她吸烟 这并不违反法律
There he found her smoking something which is not against the law,
而且事实上也不关他事
which is, in fact, none of his business,
但是他还是解雇了她
but he fired her anyway.
难道我们不能拥有自己的权利
Shouldn't we be able to have private lives
而不受到雇主的干涉吗?
that aren't governed by the people we work for?
我的天 我简直不能相信我在美国的
法庭上提出这么一个问题
My god, I cannot believe I just asked that question in an American courtroom.
我的头快要爆♥炸♥了
My head may explode.
法官阁下 个人的隐私权
Your honor, the right to privacy,
如你所知 是受到宪法的保护的
as you well know, is guaranteed under our Constitution,
但是现在 多亏了我们的当前的最高法♥院♥
but now, thanks to our current supreme court,
这种权利就如风中之烛般岌岌可危
that right is flickering like a candle in the wind,
而且风越来越大
and the breeze is picking up.
但是幸好并不是Scalia大♥法♥官和他的同类审理
这个案子 (Scalia大♥法♥官 美国最高法♥院♥
大♥法♥官之一 属于保守派)
But justice Scalia and his ilk aren't judging this case.
而是您
You are.
在什么情况下 我们会说 您会说
And at what point will we say, will you say,
在我们不违反法律的情况下
that provided we do not violate the law,
其他人没有权利干涉我们的私生活?
other people cannot dictate what we do in the privacy of our own homes?
法官阁下 当你在内庭里不受警♥察♥
Your honor, when you consider this case in the privacy of your chambers
律师或者Loomis先生打扰
独自考虑判决的时候
where no police or lawyers or Loomis may enter,
请您想象一下我们宝贵的隐私权正濒临死亡
please think about the dying gasps of our precious right to privacy
还有当它死去后我们的生活会变成怎样
and what our lives might be like if it actually passes away.
会议室 我要把事情解决掉
Conference room. I'm putting this thing to bed.
价钱相当高
It's high.
而且可能会更高
It could have been much higher.
Denny 你要看看吗?
Denny, you want to take a look at this?
不需要
No need.
我们的出价 2个字
Here's our counteroffer. Two words.
好吧 可能是3个
Well, maybe three.
Barbara家居
Barbara's built-ins.
能让让我和Denny单独谈会吗?
Can Denny and I please have the room?
Bev...
Bev...
没事的 我会处理
It's all right. I've got it.
你是怎么知道的?
So what do you know?
"Barbara家居 给你最好的"
"Barbara's built-ins, only the best".
你主要目标是Boca raton和周边地区的退休老人
(Boca Raton是佛罗里达州一个地区)
You marketed to old people in retirement homes in and around Boca raton.
你销♥售♥电视机 洗碗机
You sold built-ins for television sets and built-ins for dishwashers,
微波炉的配套家具 但是销量很不理想
built-ins for microwaves, but you never built them in.
不是的 我做得很好
That's not true. I did some lovely work.
我总是快要说服人们签订合同了 但是我...
I always meant to finish the jobs that people had contracted me for, but I...
我的流动资金出了问题
而更好的来钱办法就是...
I had a cash flow problem, and it made more sense financially to just...
敲诈一些有怪僻的老头然后离开城镇
To rob the geezers and skip town.
你知道多久了?
How long have you known?
自从我们的第三次约会
Since our third date.
当我和一个女人上♥床♥超过两次 我都会调查她
Whenever I make love to a woman more than twice, I have her investigated.
但是Denny既然你知道我的背景
But, Denny, since you knew my history,
为什么 为什么你不让我签婚前协议?
why, why didn't you have me sign a pre-nup?
因为我爱你
Because I loved you.
而当你可以通过一个电♥话♥就送某人进监狱
And when you can send someone to jail with a phone call,
这比婚前协议管用多了
there's your pre-nup.
可是你要知道 我仍然可以查你的账
Well, you know, I still could have you audited.
变成僵局
Stalemate.
没错
Exactly.
你知道为什么会变成僵局吗?
And you know why it's a stalemate?
因为我们是如此的相似
Because we're so much alike.
我们彼此有共同之处因此我们才会走在一起
The fact that we have something on each other means we belong together.
我们的爱情就像是真人版的童话故事
Our love is a fairy tale written by real people.
而我要说的是 尽管发生这些事
All I'm saying is, even after all this,
我还是想把童话变成现实
I'd like to make it work.
Denny...
Denny...
我爱你
I love you.
但是我更爱夏威夷
But I love Hawaii more.
好吧 你将会是离开Denny Crane的女人
Well, you'll be the one that got away from Denny Crane.
那使你变成 嗯
Which that makes you, uh,
一个传奇人物
a large fish in a very small pond.
Shore先生 我赞同你所极力捍卫的隐私权
Mr. Shore, I believe in the right to privacy that you so passionately defended,
而我也同意Loomis先生在Zeder小姐
and I believe that when Mr. Loomis fired Ms. Zeder for actions
不影响她的工作表现的情况下解雇她
that in no way affected her performance at work,
是毫无道理的
he acted unreasonably,
但是不幸地是
but unfortunately,
法律并不能对Loomis先生的行为做出制约
the law doesn't require Mr. Loomis to be reasonable.
因此 我无能为力
Therefore, there is nothing I can do.
我宣布动议撤销 休庭
I am granting the motion to dismiss. Court is adjourned.
什么?
What?
我很抱歉Joan
I'm sorry, Joan.
我们随时都可以上诉Joan 与此同时
找一份新工作吧
We can always appeal this, Joan, and in the meantime, find you a new job.
新工作?
New job?
Alan 我是烟民 一个邪恶的烟民
Alan, I'm a smoker, an evil, villainous smoker.
如果我去进行面试
If I go on a job interview,
而我老实地告诉他们我每天要抽2包烟
然后就结束了
and I'm honest. I tell them I have a 2-pack-a-day habit, that's it.
我成了一个负担 受歧视的人
Liability, leper.
唉 不行的 这就是世界的新规则Alan
Yeah, no, this is a new world order, Alan.
我只是一个小人物 我必须要去适应它
I am just a cog and, I've got to find a way to fit in.
我必须要戒烟 即使这会要了我的命
I've got to find a way to quit, even if it kills me.
你知道对于抽烟 我最怀念的是什么吗?
You know what I'm gonna miss most about smoking?
就像是 你忙了一整天 人们总是向你大喊
It's like, you work your ass off all day. People screaming at you.
"我的这个呢? 我的那个呢?"
"Where's my this? Where's my that?"
"为什么你不回复我7秒前给你发的电邮?"
"Why you haven't you answered my e-mail that I sent you seven seconds ago?"
而在处在这些混乱和烦躁中
And in all that chaos, all that frenzy,
抽烟与其说是一种习惯 不如说是...
smoking was more than a habit. It was...
提供了一个去处
it was a place to go
在那里我可以杜绝外界的干扰
where I could just shut out the rest of the world
享受一份属于自己的宁静
and find a little square bit of time and peace for me,
哪怕仅仅是一点
just a little bit.
听起来很好
That sounds perfect.
也许我可以向你建议一个替代的习惯 做♥爱♥
If I may suggest an alternate habit, intercourse.
什么?
What?
我觉得它让人放松
I find it just as relaxing,
剧集 | 波士顿法律(2004) | 导航列表