剧集 | 纽约客再现(2015) | 导航列表
他需要骑得很好才能有机会赢
加油 Rhyder
Come on, Rhyder.
上去 把腿放上去
Get over. Put your leg over.
-加速 加速 -加油Rhyder
- Speed! Speed! Speed! - Come on, Rhyder!
他做到了
Whoo. He did it.
我太骄傲了
I'm so proud.
你欠我25美元
You owe me $25.
我知道 我欠你50美元了现在
I know. I owe you 50 bucks now.
天哪 他光从我们身上就赚了150美元
Hell, he made 150 just off us.
给你 谢谢
Here you go. Thank you.
我需要你在这儿签个名 好么
I need you to initial right here, okay?
这是你的支票 谢谢
Here's your check, baby. Thank you.
恭喜
Congratulations.
给你
There you go.
-你应该说什么 -谢谢
- What do you say? - Thank you.
给我拿着 我把它放口袋里
Let me see it so I can put it in my wallet
免得丢了
so you don't lose it.
这下我们可以给你买♥♥个马鞍了
Guess we can go buy you a saddle now.
他特别骄傲
It made him pretty proud
每次他看我骑小牛的时候
whenever he saw me ride that calf out.
我长大点会去骑大公牛的
As I get older, eventually I will start riding bulls,
但是我也许只能在牧场工作
but I might just start working at a ranch.
Rhyder赢了538美元但是没有进入决赛
如果August这次成功她就能进入决赛
大家都说女孩不应该学骑术
Everybody says a girl shouldn't ride.
我挺怕的 像每个爸妈那么怕
I'll have that fear, you know, just like any parent does.
有些事情不能让孩子们看见
It's something that you can't let the kids see.
他们会吓到的
That will scare them.
越是参加比赛 胆子越大
Nerves come with the game.
没有胆量的话 就干脆退出吧
If you're not nervous, you should quit.
当我从牛身上下来时
When I'm climbing down on the bull.
我真的没法听见广播员
I can't really hear the announcer,
斗牛士还有任何别的事情
the bullfighters, anything else that's going on.
我只能听见我爸爸的声音
My dad's the one person that I can hear.
真的没有时间
You don't really have time
去思考下一步该怎么做
to think about what move I need to make,
我的臀部要坐在哪儿
where I need to place my hips.
只有做出相应的反应
You just have to react to it.
八秒看起来很快
Eight seconds seems really quick
除非你是在牛背上
unless you're on the back of a bull.
有时我在想
At times I wonder
我是不是把她逼得太紧
if maybe I'm pushing her too hard
或者她做这个是不是为了我
or if she's doing it for me.
但我真的不认为是这样
But I don't really think it's that.
我觉得她爱骑牛
I think she loves it.
我担心她会受伤吗 当然
Do I worry about her getting hurt? Yes.
我看着她说你是一个好女孩
I look at her and say she's such a sweet girl,
你不应该骑牛
she shouldn't be riding bulls.
你应该玩垒球或者篮球
She should stick to softball and basketball.
但我不会去伤她的心
But I'm not going to break her heart.
我会受伤
There's injuries to come,
不管我是男孩还是女孩
whether I'm a boy or whether I'm a girl.
只是时间的问题
It's just a matter of when,
如果你不能忍♥受疼痛
and if you can't handle some pain,
就不要参加这项运动
don't be in this sport.
俄克拉荷马州
曼格姆市
过来 Elvis
Whoo! Come on, Elvis.
经营农场很难糊口
It's hard to make a living off of the ranching business.
我花了很多时间
I spend a lot of time
用其他工作来支撑农场
having to support it with another job.
Elvis
Elvis!
这就爱
It's a love.
你不喜欢你就不会在这
You don't love it, you won't be there.
我主要有小牛
Mainly I've got calves,
但我也有几头公牛
but I do have a little pen of bulls
提供给孩子骑
for the kids to ride on.
这是一项很贵的运动
It's a pretty expensive sport,
特别是如果你是每周来练习
especially if you're doing it every weekend,
比如我这样的
like we are.
有些孩子有赞助商 我们就没有
Some kids have sponsors. Ours don't.
我们是被父母赞助
Ours are sponsored by Mom and Dad.
如果你的梦想是成为一名公牛骑手
If your dream is to be a bull rider,
你就得练习
you got to be able to practice
学习骑牛然后动起来
and learn to ride and make your moves.
我喜欢竞技表演
I love rodeoing.
我喜欢骑牛
I love getting on bulls.
骑得好斗一点
Be aggressive and come riding.
我和我爸看着职业骑牛赛长大的
I grew up watching the PBR with my dad.
我以前给我爸说 "我以后会是这样
I used to tell my dad "That'll be me some day.
你会有一天在电视上看到我"
You'll be watching me on TV some day."
加油
Hustle! Get over!
一封来自新泽西的信
大西洋城的生与死
当你想到大多数城市
When you think of most cities,
他们的存在是因为曾经
they're there because at one point
发迹于做港口或是一座矿业城镇
they started out as a port or as a mining town.
他们所处的地方的存在是有一些原因的
There was some reason for them to exist where they were.
大西洋城是美国的第一批城市之一
Atlantic City is one of the first cities in the United States
是政♥府♥规划
where they just imagined there being a place there
《纽约客》特约撰稿人
要建造城市的地方
for the purpose of building a place there.
《纽约客》特约撰稿人
《纽约客》特约撰稿人
"建造一座城市 人就会来了"
"Let's just build it, and they will come."
《纽约客》特约撰稿人
"建造一座城市 人就会来了"
"Let's just build it, and they will come."
他们脑海中浮现一个
What they had in mind was a place
人们可以远离工业费城的地方
where people could get away from industrial Philadelphia,
人们可以去海滩 吸着清新的空气
go to the beach, clean air,
远离城市的喧嚣
just to get out of the city.
这些达官贵人想要一个地方
These aristocrats wanted a place
大西洋城 前任市长
他们可以来放松
that you'd be able to come and let your hair down
大西洋城 前任市长
他们可以来放松
that you'd be able to come and let your hair down
参加各种有罪恶快♥感♥的活动
and engage in all these guilty pleasures.
他们会坐火车南下
They'd catch a train down
在大西洋城度过一天的时光
and spend a day in Atlantic City.
很多游客鞋里都是沙子
Many visitors get sand in their shoes,
正如俗话说的那样
as the saying goes,
变成了这座度假胜地的
and become permanent citizens
永久居民
of this vacation capital.
我叫Marty Wood
I'm Marty Wood.
我是Wood典当店的老板
I'm the owner of Wood's Pawnbrokers.
我在这里出生
I was born here.
在大西洋城待了很久
It's a long time to be in Atlantic City.
很多年前 一个男的拿着一条左臂假肢
Years ago, a guy brought in a left arm prosthesis,
放在柜台上
laid it on the counter.
我说 "天 我们在找一个右臂"
I said, "Gee, we're looking for a right arm."
从1854到大概50年代
From 1854 probably up to around the '50s,
大西洋城是全国
Atlantic City was the number 1
排名第一的国内度假胜地
domestic tourist destination in the country.
大西洋城的任何一座建筑
Any building in Atlantic City,
都蕴含着某个人的宏伟的设想 一个梦想
you look at it, somebody had a big idea, a dream--
如果我们建造这座庞然大物
"If we build this huge monstrosity,
人们会过来
"People are going to come,
他们会花很多钱
"They're going to spend a lot of money,
最后我们都变富了
and we're all going to get rich."
Revel(狂欢)是新泽西历史上
The Revel was the biggest private construction project
最大的私人建造工程
in the history of New Jersey.
没有什么比Revel还贵了
Nothing else was as expensive as the Revel.
我们有一个度假胜地和街坊
We have a resort destination. We have a neighborhood.
我们重新锚定这座城
We have a reanchoring of our town.
对我来说这就是Revel的庆祝
And that to me is the celebration of Revel.
我叫Michael Hawke
My name is Michael Hawke.
我是Tony Boloney's的老板
剧集 | 纽约客再现(2015) | 导航列表