剧集 | 纽约客再现(2015) | 导航列表
今天我们将要进行剥皮
We're going to be skinning today
从老鼠的背部切开一个口
with a dorsal incision.
这就像是脱下一件西装外套一样
It's just like removing a body suit.
先把腿拿出来
You take your legs out first.
你这个可怜的家伙
Oh. You poor guy.
他不会有任何感觉
He can't feel a thing.
你会发现老鼠的残骸是完整的
You can see that the carcass is staying intact.
它闻上去不会比其他东西更差
It doesn't smell much worse than, like,
比如一个湿的狗或者这里的其他东西
a wet dog or something in here.
当老鼠尾巴上的肉和骨头都被剥落的时候
And all that tail meat and bone comes right out.
你让剥皮看上去很简单
You made it look so easy.
当你把剥下来的皮重新披在老鼠的身上的时候
Bring the skin back together at the back.
你会发现剥下来的皮可以塞进老鼠的胯部
You can tuck in a nice little crotch
以及腋下
and nice little armpits.
我的标本要成像亚伯·林肯那样
My guy's going to be Abe Lincoln.
想做再做一个
Want to make another one
马修·布拉迪给亚伯·林肯照相
that's Matthew Brady photographing Abe Lincoln?
事实上我已经用软木做了
I actually already made a little camera
- 一个小照相机 - 很棒啊
- out of balsa wood. - That's amazing.
我想我也许会给他做一个小斗篷
I think maybe I'll give him a little cape
让他成为一个魔术师
and make him a magician.
我想让我这个成为一个带有摇滚气息的老鼠标本
I want mine to be, like, a little rocker guy,
有点时髦
like, have some sass.
我只是想做一个
I'm just kind of looking for,
标准的老鼠标本
like, a standard coffee table rat.
Brazenhead 是我
人们经常会把书店
People always relate to bookshops
和浪漫联♥系♥在一起
in a romantic way.
当我长大的时候 我最想去的地方
As I grew up, that's all I really wanted to go to
就是书店
was bookshops.
我就是爱它
I just always loved it.
这和那些喜欢吃披萨的人没有什么区别
It's no different than someone who likes pizza.
我就是喜欢读书
I just loved books.
当我在书店随便转悠的时候 我会很兴奋
Just driving around, I would get excited
无论什么时候我看见 ''B-O-O''这三个字母
whenever I'd see B-O-O,
我就会意识到这是''靴子''这个单词
and then all of a sudden it's "Boots."
事实上
And, like, no.
我并不是一个穿靴子的人
I'm not really a boots kind of person.
我是一个书商
I'm a bookseller.
厚脸皮书屋是我的事业
Brazenhead Books is my business,
我已经从事这个行业35年了
and I've been doing it for 35 years.
我不想成为
I don't want to be the guy
那种总是说所有事情都会变得更好的
that's always saying everything is better
然而事实上所有的事很糟糕的人
when everything is definitely worse now.
这座城市的生活相比以前更加美好 更加舒服了
The city was better. It was more enjoyable.
人们不再因为钱而备受压力
People weren't stressed about money.
在这样的时期 我无法生存
My life would not have happened in this time period.
过去七年里 Michael在东84街的
一间公♥寓♥里经营着一家秘密书店沙龙
接着他收到一封驱逐令迫使他关闭书店
所以我能开始做什么?
Okay, so what can I start doing?
我最先得知房♥屋将要被收回
I first heard about the eviction
是我的邻居打电♥话♥给我
when my next door neighbor called me
他说"在你的门上有一个驱逐令"
and said "There's an eviction notice on your door."
所以
So it was like, ohh.
我知道会发生什么
I mean, I know how this works.
因此我知道游戏开始了
So I knew the game was up.
这并不像"哦 我可以搞定这个"那样简单
It wasn't like, "Oh, I can fix this."
这已经是第三代Brazenhead
This is the third incarnation of Brazenhead.
我已经拥有了这个公♥寓♥37年了
I've had this apartment for 37 years.
在这之前 我住在这
Before that, I was living here,
我把书店开在街区的尾处
and I'd had a shop down the block,
就是第二代Brazenhead
which was Brazenhead II.
7年后
After seven years,
有人想在这开一家自助洗衣店
they wanted to build a laundromat there,
他们想用这个理由摆脱我
so they got rid of me for that reason.
我供不起一块地的钱
I could not afford a space,
所以我把书堆积在这
so I was storing books here,
在街上卖♥♥书
selling books on the street.
你知道的 随着经济衰退
You know, as the economy went,
所有的东西都变得很贵
everything became more expensive
除了书的价格
except the price of books.
我想也许就是没有我的容身之地
You know, I just thought, Maybe there's no place for me.
我不想在网上卖♥♥书 我很排斥网络
I didn't want to sell online. That's repulsive to me.
当我开始做这件事的时候
And then I thought to do this.
我认为我需要一个地方
So I thought I'll make a space
人们可以来看我书的地方
where people could come to see my books.
我会把这个地方变成一个书店 但是会在一个公♥寓♥里
I'll make it into a bookstore, but it'll be in an apartment.
这就是那家书店
And that was that.
第一代Brazenhead开在布鲁克林
The first Brazenhead was in Brooklyn
在70年代末
in the late '70s.
我记得有一个男孩走进了书店
I remember some kid coming into the shop.
他希望获得一个工作
He asked me for a job.
当时他15岁 我25岁
He was 15. I was 25.
就是一个母亲已经过世的小男孩
Just a little boy whose mother had died.
我能看出来他真的喜欢这个书店
I could see he really liked the shop,
但是这个书店真的赚不了钱
but it made no money.
我不能雇佣任何人
I couldn't really hire someone.
然后他说"你不用付薪水给我"
Then he said, "You know, you don't have to pay me
"你可以把书当做薪水给我"
with money. You can pay me with books."
他超级能读书
He was super well read.
我读什么他就读什么
I mean, he read the same kind of stuff I read.
Jonathan 他是第一个Brazenhead人
Jonathan, he's the first Brazenhead person,
相比人们来这的方式
like the way that people come here.
他几乎是一个阅读典范
He's almost like the prototype
因为他立刻把自己投身于其中
because he attached himself immediately,
就像人们做的那样
just like people do.
嗨
Hello.
嗨
Hey.
嗨
Hey.
上帝啊 看你的胡子
Oh, my God, look at that.
是的 我做这个为了纪念--
Oh, yeah, I did this in honor of--
我都没法分辨我是在看你还是我自己
I can't tell if I'm looking at you or me.
带我四处转转 我想看看发生了什么
Show me around. I want to see what's happening.
没有普通的非文学性小说了
No more general nonfiction.
走廊里已经没书了
Everything's gone from the hallway.
你能看见那个窗户吗?
Can you see the window?
是的
Yeah.
我记得那里是有一个窗户的
I remember believing there was a window there.
现在的布局对你来说是不是很陌生?
Is it strange for you to see this place like this?
是也不是 我的意思是--他们都存在在记忆里
Yes and no. I mean, it's-- it was written in the stars.
我记得在20世纪70年代
I mean, I-- I remember in the 1970s
当谈及逃离这个公♥寓♥的时候
talking about getting away with being in that apartment.
- 你懂吗 - 就是这样
- You know? I mean-- - No, exactly.
就是那个时候
It's the exact right time.
- 所以 你还好吗 - 很好
- So you're okay. - Yeah.
但是我现在想暂时不做任何事情
But I look forward to doing nothing for a while.
我一直在工作并且庆祝
I've been working and also celebrating
因为我开了那么多的沙龙
because I've been having so many salons
- 在我关闭这家后 - 是的
- after I closed. - Yeah.
这有一点奇怪
Which has been a little strange.
所以我觉得人们会认为我并不会关门
So now I think people think I'm not really closing.
他们一直对我说 "两周内我会再来"
They're telling me, "I'll see you in two weeks."
现在你是歇业了
Now you're one of those "Going out of business--"
是的 让我告诉你
Yeah. And let me tell you
- 这真的可行 - 是的
- it does work. - Yeah.
我的确本可以拥有一个成功的事业
I actually could have had a successful business
如果我尽早停业书店生意
if I went out of business sooner.
孩子们长大了
The kids grow up.
这些书店都到了成熟期
The shop-- The shops have to mature.
这是一个非常纯粹的事情
It's a very pure thing.
是的是的
Yeah. Yeah.
剧集 | 纽约客再现(2015) | 导航列表