And then a minute later
"又听到了一次较低的声响"
there was another bang but not so loud. "
第一次巨响其实是几乎同时射出的两枪
The first bang was two shots, fired almost simultaneously;
一枪从窗外射进来 杀了希尔顿丘比特
one from the window, which killed Hilton Cubitt,
另一枪是希尔顿丘比特打的
and one from Hilton Cubitt,
射偏打中了窗框
which missed and went into the window frame.
那第三枪?
And the third shot?
哀莫过于此 丘比特夫人
The saddest of all, Mrs. Cubitt,
绝望之下 欲饮弹自尽
self-administered in her despair.
你们谁知道这附近有一家旅馆
Now, do any of you know of an inn in the neighborhood
叫艾尔里奇?
called Elrige's?
有个农场主姓这个姓 离这儿几英里远
There's a farmer of that name, lives some miles off,
往… 马尔布鲁克方向
in the direction of, uh, Milbrook.
偏僻的农场?
Is it a lonely farm?
非常偏 先生
Very lonely, sir.
那会不会有可能
Then it is just possible
昨晚这儿发生的一切
that the news of what happened here last night
还没传到那儿去
has not reached them.
说不定 先生
Maybe not, sir.
太棒了
Excellent!
沃克
Walker,
我想让你把这个便条
I want you to take this note
交给艾尔里奇农场的亚伯斯拉内
to a Mr. Abe Slaney of Elrige's Farm.
别说是我写的便条
Do not say that the note is from me,
也不要提到昨晚这儿发生的事
and make no mention of what happened here last night.
明白了吗?
Now, you understand?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
谢谢你 沃克
Thank you, Walker.
我预料会有人被我的便条邀来的
I am expecting a visitor in answer to my note.
桑德斯 他会来见丘比特夫人
Now, Saunders, he will ask for Mrs. Cubitt.
我要你带他到这儿来
I want you to show him into this room.
还要这房♥子看上去一切正常
I want this house to look quite normal,
你对所发生之事务必只字不提
and you must not give anything away of what has happened.
好的 先生
Very good, sir.
好了 我建议你们还是各司其职去吧
Now, I suggest you return to your duties.
而卡休医生 我建议您去照看您的病人
And, Dr. Carthew, I suggest you return to your patient.
对了 金太太
Oh, Mrs. King,
您的女主人是无辜的
your mistress is quite innocent.
你是怎么解开密♥码♥的?
But how did you break the code?
你看看
Well, you see,
一切密文的破解之路
the rules which guide us in deciphering all secret writing
都在于字母E
depend on the fact that E,
E是英语中最常见的字母
E is the most common letter in the English language.
所以 可想而知 我们真走运
So, you see, we were very fortunate
因为丘比特夫人名叫艾尔西
that Mrs. Cubitt's name was Elsie,
在第二张字条里颇为明显
and that it featured in the second message,
这样不光破解了字母E 还破解了L S跟I
which gave us not only the E, but the L, the S and the I.
而接下来的
Now, next, it seemed likely to us
两张字条像是提到了
that two of the messages were appeals of some sort
丘比特先生
to Mrs. Cubitt...
加上T和G 字条写的就是:
by adding the T and the G, the message reads:
"在艾尔里奇 过来 艾尔西"
"AT ELRIGE'S, COME ELSIE."
要是这个亚伯斯拉内就是凶手
Well, if this Abe Slaney is indeed the murderer,
我们得立即行动逮捕他
we must make an immediate move to arrest him.
不用慌张 探长
Calm yourself, Inspector.
我想他随时都会来
I expect him here at any moment.
可斯拉内怎么会来这儿?
But why should Slaney come here?
因为我写信要他来
Because I have written and asked him.
可他不会起疑心吗?
But won't his suspicions be roused?
难道他不想逃跑吗?
Will he not try to escape?
桑德斯?
Saunders?
打扰了 先生 有位先生往这边来了
Excuse me, sir, there's a gentleman approaching the house.
你觉得他带枪了吗?
Do you think he'd be armed?
傻子才不带
He's a fool if he's not.
您好 先生
Good day, sir.
丘比特夫人在吗?
Is Mrs. Cubitt at home?
我会为您通报 先生 请您进来
I'll inquire, sir, if you'll step inside.
请问您尊姓大名?
What name shall I say?
就说是个老朋友 她在等我
Tell her it's an old friend. She's expecting me.
请您在书房♥稍等片刻
If you'll wait in the library a moment.
好吧 先生们 看来你们是占到上风了
Well, gentlemen, it looks like you've got the drop on me,
不过谁能告诉这是怎么回事?
but what the hell is going on?
我想你就是亚伯斯拉内
Abe Slaney, I believe.
是有怎么样 你又是哪根葱?
What if I am, and who are you, anyway?
我的名字并不重要
My name would mean nothing to you,
不过我想芝加哥警局的威尔逊哈格里夫
though I suspect that of Wilson Hargreave
这个名字你该知道吧
of the Chicago Police Department, will.
啊 看来的确知道
Ah, I see that it does.
斯拉内先生 你该知道
Mr. Slaney, you should know
艾尔西丘比特伤势正重
that Mrs. Elsie Cubitt is very seriously ill.
鬼才信你
I don't believe you.
这话骗小孩差不多
This is some cheap trick.
艾尔西丘比特夫人一小时前刚给我写了张字条
Mrs. Elsie Cubitt wrote me a note just an hour ago,
只有我才看得懂的字条
a note that only I can understand.
若想人不懂 除非己莫写
What one man can invent, another can discover:
"我来了 亚伯斯拉内 在艾尔里奇 来吧艾尔西"
"I'M HERE, ABE SLANEY. AT ELRIGE'S, COME ELSIE."
你最后一张字条是
And your last note to her:
"艾尔西 准备见上帝吧"
"ELSIE PREPARE TO MEET THY GOD."
而这张
And this.
是你写的?
You wrote that note?
你说艾尔西受伤是骗我的
But you were lying about Elsie.
斯拉内 你开枪打死希尔顿丘比特之后
Slaney, when you shot and killed Hilton Cubitt,
艾尔西丘比特 伤心欲绝 想一死了之
Elsie Cubitt, in her despair, attempted to kill herself,
现在还很危险
and is now at death's door.
不
No.
不 我要见她
No, I gotta see her!
我得见她 我爱她 天地良心 艾尔西
I gotta see her, I love her, for God's sake, Elsie!
我爱你 艾尔西
I love you, Elsie!
艾尔西 艾尔西
Elsie, Elsie!
我相信她从美国远走高飞就是为了躲开你
I believe that she fled from America to avoid you.
而你尾随而来 让她经历了丧夫之痛
Because you followed her and made her life a misery,
她还不得不面对
she now lies under grave suspicion
谋杀亲夫的严重嫌疑
of murdering the husband she loved.
至少你可以为她洗清罪名
The least you can do is to clear her of that.
我想我目前能做到的就是
I guess the very best case I can make for myself now
把赤♥裸♥裸的真♥相♥ 告诉你们
is to tell you the absolute, naked truth.
我有责任警告你
It is my duty to warn you
这会作为对你不利的证据
that it will be used against you.
我想你也许知道
I guess you probably know
艾尔西的父亲是芝加哥最有势力的人
that Elsie's father's the most powerful man in Chicago.
是芝加哥最有势力的犯罪分子之一
One of the most powerful criminal men in Chicago.
就是他发明的跳舞小人
It was he who invented the dancing men.
以前我们用来做暗号♥
We used it as a code in the old days.
艾尔西还是个孩子时 我就认识她
I've known Elsie since she was a child.
我和她订了婚
She was promised to me.
我可能是威胁了她
I may have threatened her,
可我绝不会碰她一根头发的
but I wouldn't have touched a hair on her pretty head.
不过你说的对 她痛恨芝加哥的一切
But you're right, she hated the whole Chicago business.
所以她就跑到欧洲去了
That's why she ran away to Europe.
直到她嫁给了这个英国佬
It was only after her marriage to this Englishman
我才发现了她的行踪
that I was able to find out where she was.
我写信给她 可没收到回信
I wrote to her, but I got no answer.
她把信烧了
She burned your letter.
她在达比郡这儿过得很开心
She was happy in her new life in Darbyshire.
我来英国是为了带她回家的
I came here to England to take her home!
我给她留了言
I sent her notes.
为了哄艾尔西回家 我想尽办法
I did everything I could to coax Elsie away,
结果丧失了理智 我开始威胁她
then my temper got the better of me and I began to threaten her.
不过昨天她给我写了回信
But yesterday she sent me a letter!
她说等到他丈夫睡去之后 会下楼来
She said she would come down when her husband was asleep
在书房♥尽头的窗户跟我谈谈
剧集 | 福尔摩斯历险记(1984) | 导航列表