福尔摩斯探案集 第2季第1集
铜山毛榉案
有什么不对头吗?
Something wrong?
一个为了艺术而热爱艺术的人
To the man who loves art for its own sake,
常常是从最不重要
it is frequently in its least important
最为平常的形象中
and lowliest manifestations
得到最大的乐趣
that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
这么说也没错 福尔摩斯
Oh,if you say so,Holmes.
我高兴的观察到 华生
It is pleasant to me to observe,Watson,
从你诚诚恳恳地为我们的
that you have so far grasped this truth
案件所作的记录中
that in these little records of our cases
你已经掌握了真理
which you have been good enough to draw up,
而且我肯定地讲 你有时还加以润色
and I am bound to say,occasionally embellish,
你加以突出的并不是那些我曾经
that you have given prominence not so much
参与过的著名案件的侦破
to the many cause celebes and sensational trials
和轰动一时的审讯
in which I have figured,
而是那些本身情景
but rather to those incidents
可能是平凡琐碎的案件
which have given room for those faculties
但给人发挥逻辑推论才能的余地
of deduction and logical synthesis
这正是我的特殊研究领域
which I have made my special province.
很高兴你这么说 福尔摩斯
Kind of you to say so,Holmes.
也许你确有错误
You have erred,perhaps...
错就错在…
you have erred...
总想把每项记录
in attempting to put color and life
都写的生动一些
into each of your statements,
而不是将你的任务限制
instead of confining yourself to placing upon record
在记述事件因果关系的推理上
that severe reasoning from cause to effect
这实际上是事物唯一值得注意的特点
which is really the only notable feature about the thing.
你用这个烟斗时
You are always in a disputatious mood
总是在争论
when you choose that pipe.
在这个问题上 我看我对你
It seems to me that I have done you
还是十分公正的
full justice in the matter.
不 不 不…
No,no,no,no,no,no,
这不是我自私或是自大
it is not selfishness or even conceit.
如果我要求公正地对待我的艺术
If I claim full justice for my art,
是因为犯罪是常有的事
it is because crime is common;
逻辑却是难得的东西
logic is rare.
因此 应该详细记述的
Therefore,it is upon logic rather than upon crime
是逻辑而不是罪行
that you should dwell.
你把本该是讲授的课程
You have degraded what should have been a course
降级成了一连串的故事
of lectures into a series of tales.
没错 福尔摩斯
Really,Holmes,
我想我的拙文达不到你的要求
I hardly think my poor scribbling deserve that.
可我的故事终究让你家喻户晓
They have,after all,made your name a household word.
啐 我亲爱的老伙计
Oh,pshaw,my dear fellow,
对于公众 不善观察的公众
what do the public,the great unobservant public,
他们不可能从一个人的牙齿认出他是编织工
who can hardly tell a weaver by his tooth
或从一个人的左拇指看出他是排字工
or a compositor by his left thumb,
他们会关心分♥析♥和推理的细微区别吗
care about the finer shades of analysis and deduction?
但是 如果你确实写的太繁琐
But,indeed,if you are trivial,
我也不能责备你 作大案子的时代已经过去了
I cannot blame you,the days of the great cases are past.
一个人 或至少是一个罪犯
Man,or at least criminal man,
已经没有了过去的冒险和创新精神
has lost all enterprise and originality.
肯定没有
Oh,surely not.
恐怕是的
I fear so.
我的小行业
As to my little practice,
似乎也退化到了处理家庭琐事
it seems to be degenerating into an agency
寻找丢失的铅笔
for recovering ost lead pencils
替寄宿学校的姑娘们出出主意
and giving advice to young ladies from boarding schools.
亲爱的朋友
My dear,dear friend,
你怎么能这么说呢
how can you say such a thing?
我想 我已经身处事业谷底了
I think I have touched bottom,finally.
不管怎么说 这张我今早收到的条子
However,this note I had this morning
我想标志了我的最低点
marks my zero-point,I fancy.
老天啊 谁寄来的
Well,goodness,who is it from?
读一读
Read it.
亲爱的福尔摩斯先生
Dear Mr. Holmes:
我急切的想找您商量
I am very anxious to consult you
关于我是否应该接受别人聘请我
as to whether I should or should not accept a situation
当家庭女教师的问题
which has been offered to me as a governess.
我明天十点半来拜访你
I shall call at half-past ten tomorrow
如果不麻烦你的话
if I do not inconvenience you.
你的忠实的维奥莱特·亨特
Yours faithfully,Violet Hunter.
我不得不承认对这信的内容
I must confess to being somewhat puzzled
有点疑惑 亨特小姐
by the contents of your letter,Miss,uh,Hunter,
因为你咨♥询♥的问题
since the matter on which you seek advice
不在我的工作范畴之内
is somewhat outside my sual field of expertise.
是的 我知道
Yes,I am aware of that.
但是你会原谅我麻烦你的
But you will excuse my troubling you,I am sure,
我确定 因为我最近的经历很不寻常
since I have recently had a very strange experience.
是吗
Indeed?
我没有父母或任何亲戚
As I have no parents or relations of any sort
可以请教
from whom I could ask advice,
我想也许你会好心
I thought perhaps you would be kind enough
告诉我应该怎么办
to tell me what I should do.
我将会高兴地尽力为您服务
I shall be happy to serve you in any way I can;
请 继续
pray,proceed.
西郊有一家出名的家教介绍所
There is a well-known agency for governesses in the West End
叫维斯塔维 我最近每周都要到那里
called Westaway's,and I have lately been calling there
询问是否有
about once a week in order to see whether
适合我的工作
anything has turned up which might suit me.
经理是斯托珀小姐
It is managed by Miss Stoper.
她坐在自己的办公室里
She sits alone in her own office,
求职的女性
and the ladies who are seeking employment
在接待室等待接见
wait in the anteroom,
之后挨个进去
and are then shown in one by one,
她会在记录本上查看
when she consults her ledgers and sees whether
有没有适合求职者的工作
she has anything which might suit them.
格林小姐在我们的登记簿上已经很长时间了
Miss Green has been on our books for some years
有很好的资历
and has excellent references.
实际上 她的前任雇主
In fact,were it not for the swift return to Kuala Lampur
对她非常满意
of her present employer,
如果不是急于举家返回库阿♥拉♥兰珀
who finds her most satisfactory,
她今天也不会在这里待选
she would not be available today for your consideration.
谢谢 格林小姐
Thank you,Miss Green.
她就可以
Oh,that will do.
我不能要求比这更好的了
I could not ask for anything better.
好极了 非常好
Oh,capital,capital.
太好了
Splendid.
请坐 亨特小姐
Please be seated,Miss Hunter.
你是来寻找职位的吧 小姐
Now,then,you are looking for a situation,miss?
是的 先生
Yes,sir.
做家庭女教师?
As a governess?
是的 先生
Yes,sir.
你要求多少薪水?
And what salary do you ask?
我以前在斯彭斯芒罗上校那里
I had four pounds a month in my last place
是每月4英镑
with Colonel Spence Munro.
他给她的待遇已经很高了 鲁卡斯尔先生
He has given her an excellent reference,Mr. Rucastle.
毫无疑问 毫无疑问
Oh,doubtless,doubtless,
可是每月4英镑?
but four pounds a month?
如果那太多了…
If that seems too much...
太多了?不 不
Too much? oh,tut,tut,
怎么会有人出这么可怜的小数目
how could anyone offer so pitiful a sum to a lady
给一位如此有吸引力和造诣的女士?
with such attraction and accomplishments?
我的造诣 先生
My accomplishments,sir,
可能不如你所想像的那样深
may be less than you imagine.
懂一点法文 一点德文 音乐 绘画…
A little French,a little German,music,drawing...
啧 啧
Oh,tut,tut,
这些都不是主要问题
that is quite beside the question.
关键是你有没有
The point is,have you or have you not
具备一位有教养女士的举止和风度?
剧集 | 福尔摩斯历险记(1984) | 导航列表