剧集 | 外推(2023) | 导航列表
反对 我们都造成了碳的上升 不仅仅是比尔顿先生
Objection. We all caused carbon to go up, not just Mr. Bilton.
反对有效
Sustained.
希勒博士
Dr. Shearer,
你在野生观赏动物2100的工作 是否有报酬?
were you paid for your work at Menagerie2100?
有
Yes.
令人沮丧的工作 我敢肯定 所有这些说再见的事情
Depressing work, I'm sure. All that saying goodbye.
对吗?
Yes?
所以你会得到来自阿尔法的稳定情绪疗法
That explains why you receive mood-stabilizing therapeutics from Alpha.
希勒女士的退休生活 和药品都是靠阿尔法公♥司♥
Ms. Shearer relies on Alpha for her retirement and her medicine.
如果是她持续的抑郁症导致她责备
What if her ongoing depression has caused her to blame
阿尔法为她提供的药物呢?
the medicines that Alpha provides her with?
特纳先生 我知道 你想让人们以为我是个疯子
I know you want people to think I'm crazy, Mr. Turner.
或许...我就是
And maybe-- maybe I am.
也许这就是气候变化对我们大家的影响
Maybe that's what climate change is doing to all of us.
我们中有些人疯了 因为我们看着这个世界
Some of us are crazy because we look at the world
和我们所失去的一切 却仍抱有希望
and all we have lost, and we still have hope.
我认为让你在这里作证是不公平的
I think it's unfair to ask you to testify here,
特别是你的儿子 已经将你从他的记忆中删除
especially after your son has deleted you from his memory.
他失去了记忆 是因为夏季心脏病导致的痴呆症
He lost his memory from summer heart-- dementia.
为此他还在接受阿尔法治疗法
For which he also was taking Alpha therapeutics.
我打赌这让你对比尔顿先生非常生气
I bet that makes you very angry at Mr. Bilton.
她儿子的身体状况与此有什么关系?
How is her son's medical condition relevant?
这是对她隐私的侵犯
It's an invasion of her privacy.
而她在这里出现 违反了她对阿尔法的忠诚誓言
And her presence here constitutes a violation of her Alpha loyalty oath.
没有其他问题了
No further questions.
(纽约市)
也许她跳楼了
Maybe she jumped.
跳了吗?他们会去调查
Did she? They're going to investigate.
让他们查
Let them.
尼克 我们需要小心
We need to be careful here, Nick.
杀人会让你被运出地球 就像生态灭绝一样快
Homicide gets you shipped off the planet just as fast as ecocide.
一个女人从纽约市的天空中坠落 怎么会是我的错?
How is a woman falling through the sky in New York City my fault?
别再担心希勒了 叫玛莎把我弄出去
Stop worrying about Shearer, and tell Martha to get me out of here.
我向你们保证 我们阿尔法公♥司♥有信心
I assure you that we here at Alpha are confident
尼克比尔顿将被免除所有指控
that Nick Bilton will be exonerated of all charges.
我完全知道 比尔顿先生被捕 使我们的股价减少了17%
I'm fully aware that Mr. Bilton's arrest has eroded our stock value by 17%,
所以我想告诉这个受人尊敬的小组 我们将推出一个新产品
so I want to tell this esteemed group that we will be launching a new product.
该产品将直接应对严峻的现实
One that will directly address the grim reality
即在我们的大气层中 碳的含量现在是56♥4♥百万分比浓度
that carbon is now at 56♥4♥ parts per million in our atmosphere.
它有潜力成为阿尔法自清洁水礼物以后
It has the potential to be the biggest new offering from Alpha
最重要的新产品
since the gift of clean water.
我看到你们有很多人有问题
I see many of you have questions.
但是 根据我们律师的建议
However, on the advice of our lawyers,
在这个会议上我们不回答问题
we are not taking questions at this meeting.
感谢你们的时间
Thank you for your time.
玛莎 做得好
Well done, Martha.
我会让比尔顿先生知道
I'll let Mr. Bilton know.
我觉得这是个错误
I think this is a mistake.
那我鼓励你利用你的时间思考点别的事
Then I encourage you to use your time to think about something else instead.
(七年前)
恭喜 这是阿尔法最好的一年
Congratulations. Alpha had its best year ever.
你满意 我很高兴
I'm glad you're pleased.
还有 呃 生命暂停的订阅 正朝着正确的方向发展
And subscriptions to LifePause are heading in the right direction,
-一点点逐渐发展 -终于如此
- little by little. - Finally.
阿尔法的影响力当然在其中 起到了一定作用 所以谢谢你
The reach of Alpha certainly plays a role in that, so thank you.
它来自哪里?这个想法?
Where did it come from? The idea?
我一直都想问
Always wanted to ask.
当我还是个小女孩时 我很喜欢野花
When I was a little girl, I loved wildflowers.
我会用我祖父的蜡笔画它们
I would draw them with my grandfather's crayons.
在不太热的日子里 我会冒险出去寻找它们
I would venture out to look for them on days that weren't too hot.
但是蜜蜂一消失 野花也随之而去了 而且...
But once the bees were gone, they'd taken the wildflowers with them and...
我的祖父曾经给我讲过一个故事 说花儿们只是藏起来了
My grandfather used to tell me a story that the flowers are just hiding.
某天它们会再回来
They'll be back again someday.
也许可以让我们的人给你制♥作♥一些新种子
Could probably get our people to make you up some new seeds.
我采取了不同的方法
I took a different approach.
我想 “如果我能让时间停止呢?”
I thought, "What if I could stop time?"
-因此有了生命暂停 -正是
- Hence LifePause. - Exactly.
谢谢你分享 很动人的故事
Thank you for sharing. Really lovely story.
我能问你另一个问题吗?
Can I ask you another question?
阿尔法能带给这个世界
What would be the most exciting good or service
最令人兴奋的商品或服务是什么?
that Alpha could bring to this world?
癌症已被攻克 识字也只需要 分子生物学基因工程技术的修改
Cancer's been cured. Literacy is a simple CRISPR hack.
还有什么吗?
Anything?
万事皆可能
Sky's the limit.
我想 找到一种方法 在火星上 生成全新的、可呼吸的大气层
I guess, finding a way to grow a brand-new, breathable atmosphere on Mars
能让人类重新开始
that allows humans to start over.
火星
Mars.
它将能解决很多事
It would solve a lot of things.
如果我们能在地球上做到这点呢?
What if we were able to do that here on Earth?
做什么?
Do what?
重新开始
Start over.
你在开玩笑吗?
Are you kidding?
我想我知道怎样让“纽科门”奏效
I think I know how to make Newcomen work.
而且我想让你来负责
And I'd like you to run it.
-我们把它称作“纽科门” -为什么呢?
- We called it "Newcomen." - Why is that?
(第二天)
托马斯纽科门在1712年发明了蒸汽机
Well, Thomas Newcomen invented the steam engine in 1712.
具有讽刺意味的是 它最初是用来防止煤矿被淹没的
It was used originally to prevent coal mines from flooding, ironically.
比尔顿先生认为这是人类的碳足迹开始
Mr. Bilton saw it as the moment that humanity's carbon footprint started
践踏自然秩序的时刻
to stomp on the natural order of things.
那么阿尔法的纽科门项目是什么?
And what was Project Newcomen at Alpha?
它是圣杯
It was the holy grail.
这将是一台机器 一项从大气中提取碳的技术
It was gonna be a machine, a technology to take carbon out of the atmosphere.
它可扩展、可负担得起
It was scalable and affordable.
纽科门是否曾经出现过?
Did Newcomen ever come into existence?
没有...
No. No.
它在大规模生产时总是存在设计问题
It always had design problems at scale,
我们从未真正解决下游副产品的问题
and we never really solved the problems with the downstream by-product.
我很困惑 我们为什么在这里?
I'm confused. Why are we here?
丘宾先生刚才说他主持了一个项目 是由比尔顿先生资助的
Mr. Chopin just said he ran a program, funded by Mr. Bilton,
项目旨在把二氧化碳从大气中抽出来
that was meant to pull CO2 out of the atmosphere.
拯救世界免受气候变化影响
Save the world from climate change.
可以肯定的是 这是个高尚的努力 但你的证人没有成功
A noble endeavor, to be sure, but your witness failed.
没能完成 那为什么是 我的客户受审而不是他?
Couldn't get it done. So why is my client on trial and not him?
还有丘宾先生 你为什么离开了?
And why did you leave, Mr. Chopin?
是决定你想在其他方面失败?
Decide you wanted to go fail at something else?
反对
Objection!
反对有效
Sustained.
我告诉你 我... 来回答这个问题 我被解雇了
I'll tell you. I'll answer the question. I got fired.
听上去比尔顿先生做得对
Well, it sounds like Mr. Bilton made the right move.
然后谁取代了你?
And who replaced you?
我知道纽科门七年前重新启动了
I understand that Newcomen got restarted seven years ago
由玛莎拉塞尔负责
and that Martha Russell was put in charge.
那个刚被比尔顿先生 宣布为首席执行官的女人
The woman that Mr. Bilton just announced as CEO.
那么他现在因提拔某人而受审?
So he's on trial for promoting someone now?
比尔顿先生对地球工程的立场是什么?
What was Mr. Bilton's position on geoengineering?
反对 不相关
Objection. Not relevant.
我不同意
I beg to differ.
如果一个人像他所说那样 关注限制碳的问题
If one is concerned about limiting carbon, as he claims,
他不可能赞成一个行动方案
one cannot be in favor of a course of action
让世界继续把碳放到天空中
that allows the world to keep putting it in the sky.
在多个场合 他表达了自己的热忱
On multiple occasions, he expressed his enthusiasm.
这显然是在短期内降低温度的最佳方法
It was obviously the best way to lower temperature in the short term,
而且他说他喜欢短期的解决方案
and he said he liked the short-term solution
因为从公♥关♥的角度来看 这也是最好的
because it was the best from a PR point of view too.
所以 他支持地球工程
So, he endorsed geoengineering.
你也一样 丘宾先生 世界上几乎一半的人都支持
And so did you, Mr. Chopin. Nearly half the world did.
然后你改变了主意
Then you changed your mind.
你想让法♥院♥回顾你对这个问题的评论吗?
Do you want the court to review your comments on the issue?
我们中的一些人意识到 如果你把碳与温度脱钩
Some of us realized that if you decouple carbon from temperature,
你就会把正在发生的污染合理化
you're gonna rationalize ongoing polluting.
尼克认为这是一种通过定制平流层 赚取无限财富的方式
剧集 | 外推(2023) | 导航列表