剧集 | 反美阴谋 | 导航列表
这不是公♥司♥的事 贝丝
It's not the company, Bess.
逼我们的不是他们
They're not the ones that are forcing this.
不是吗 他们选了七个犹太人
They aren't? They picked seven Jews.
整个美国政♥府♥都在威胁他们
The entire government of the United States is leaning on them.
一个众人爱戴的总统手下的部门
The administration of a popular president
要他们配合
is telling them to cooperate
一个国家级的新项目
in a new program of national importance.
你觉得一个人寿保险公♥司♥
You think a life insurance company
敢忤逆查尔斯·A·林德伯格
can stand up to Charles A. Lindbergh,
小飞机上的大人物吗
the big man in a little plane?
我们有权利
We have rights.
对 没错 我可以辞职
Yes, we do. I can quit my job.
如果不那样 大都会人寿保险公♥司♥
Short of that, the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company does
就是按照美国总统的指示做
what the President of the United States asks.
就是这么回事 大家都害怕
That's how this happens. Everyone is afraid.
她怎么能这样
How could she?
我已经被你姐姐还有那该死的拉比气疯了
I lost my head with your sister and that goddamn rabbi.
这就是要惩罚我
This is all to punish me.
你之前很生气
You were angry.
因为他们把儿子送走了
Your son was being pulled away.
我会去找她
I'll go see her...
道歉
apologize.
你敢
Don't you dare.
你什么都没做错
You did nothing wrong.
你不能道歉
You will not apologize.
肯塔基州的人都支持谁
Who do people in Kentucky root for?
什么
Excuse me?
爸爸和桑迪都支持洋基队
Dad and Sandy root for the Yankees.
我喜欢道奇队 但我们也可以支持巨人队
I like the Dodgers, but we could also be Giants fans.
肯塔基州有什么队
What's the team in Kentucky?
塞尔登 你饿吗 我给你做点早饭
Seldon, you hungry? Can I get you something for breakfast?
我早些时候在楼下吃了
Oh, I just ate earlier downstairs.
谢谢 菲利普 我去台阶上等你
Thank you. Philip, I'll wait for you on the stairs, okay?
-早上好 塞尔登 -早上好
‐ Morning, Seldon. ‐ Good morning.
爸 肯塔基的人支持谁
Dad, who do they root for in Kentucky?
棒球吗 大概小熊队或者红雀队
Uh, baseball? Um... Cubs or Cardinals, probably.
芝加哥小熊队 圣路易红雀
也有可能白袜队
Maybe the White Sox.
芝加哥白袜队
它们都是肯塔基州的吗
They're all in Kentucky?
不是 隔了几个州
No, they're all a couple states away.
他们也就只能支持这几个队了
It's the best they can do.
-K党是什么 -什么
‐ What's the Klan? ‐ Excuse me?
CK党
The Cooducks Klan?
是三K党
Ku Klux Klan.
对 就是那个
Yeah. That.
他们在肯塔基州吗
Are they in Kentucky?
-不在 -他们在
‐ No. ‐ Yes. They are.
肯塔基州 俄亥俄州 印第安纳州 密苏里州
They are in Kentucky and Ohio and Indiana and Missouri
-还有这国家其他地方都有 -贝丝
‐ And all over that part of the country. ‐ Bess.
他们是什么
What are they?
他们就是一群不喜欢黑人
They are a group that doesn't like Negroes
犹太人 甚至天主教♥徒♥的人
or Jews or even Catholics.
他们
They, uh...
他们就是公认的蠢货
They're certified idiots
你不用担心他们 菲利普
that you don't need to worry about, Philip.
但要是我们搬去肯塔基州
But if we move to Kentucky‐‐
吃早饭 菲利普
Eat your breakfast, Philip.
我不想去
I don't want to go.
我们为什么不能留在这里
Why can't we stay here?
因为公♥司♥要把你♥爸♥爸调去那里
Because the company is transferring your father.
为什么 你做错什么事了吗
Why? Did you do something wrong?
-没有 -真是无知
‐ No. ‐ Such a baby.
给大都市人寿这样的大公♥司♥工作
It's just a part of working for a big company
就是会有这种事的
like Metropolitan Life.
但这是错的
Well, it's wrong.
是啊 因为在美国
Yes, because everything right with America
只有住在新泽西纽瓦克才是对的
is right here in Newark, New Jersey,
只要去别的地方就是错的
and everything wrong is somewhere else.
别理他 菲利普
Ignore him, Philip.
在你哥哥学会有彬彬有礼之前
Until your brother learns to be civil,
我们继续不理他
we will just continue to ignore him.
往后倒
Come on!
好的 停
Okay, stop.
- 不 他在那 - 别说傻话
- No, there he is. - Don't say anything stupid.
你有空吗 沙普先生
You got a minute, Mr. Schapp?
有什么事吗 孩子
What can I do for ya, kid?
我们希望能帮你做事
We're hopin' to do for you.
我和舒什刚刚去了你的六间酒吧
Shushy and me, we just went to six of your bars...
南费城 西费城 中心费城
South Philly, West Philly, Center City--
我要因此付你们钱吗
And I'm paying you for this?
也许吧
Maybe.
但那取决于你 舒什
But that's up to you. Shush?
-我见过这个 -看看那个钥匙孔
- I've seen one before. - Look at the keyhole.
不 你看 看到这些小刮痕了吗
No, look. You see those little scratches?
那又怎么样 就是钥匙磨出来的
So what? They're from the key.
不 钥匙不会磨出这样的刮痕
No, the key doesn't make marks like that.
抱歉 刘易斯太太在忙 需要留言吗
Sorry, Mrs. Lewis isn't available. May I take a message?
好的
I got it.
不是吧
Come on.
你要和我说什么
What are you telling me?
你在散财
You're leakin' silver.
-老爸 我找到了你要的发♥票♥ -明娜
- Papa, I found those invoices that you need-- - Minna.
有电♥话♥找你
Got a phone call for ya!
来见见新泽西来的能耐人
Meet the smart little macher from Jersey
他说有人在偷你老爸的钱
who's telling your old man he's being robbed.
我叫阿尔文
Alvin...
-叫莱文就好 抱歉 -我叫明娜
- Levin. Sorry. - Minna.
幸会
Pleasure.
有电♥话♥找你 电♥话♥
Phone call for you! Phone call.
对不起
I apologize.
贝丝 你没有说任何需要道歉的话
Bess, you have said nothing for which you need to apologize.
赫尔曼的愤怒是可以理解的
Herman was understandably angry.
是的 但是那和眼下的事无关
He was, but that's of little moment to what's happening.
贝丝 我们没有因为
Bess, we haven't gone to the trouble
我们之间意见相左而费劲心机
of recommending the Levins for Homestead
推选莱文一家参与公地项目
because of any dispute between us.
我没有那么小气 你姐姐也是
I'm not so petty as that, and neither is your sister.
拜托 别这么做
Please. Don't do this.
赫尔曼已经在新泽西州工作了很长时间
Herman has worked a long time in New Jersey,
在纽瓦克大都市人寿兢兢业业
working his way up at Metropolitan Life,
他了解这些邻居 有老客户
he knows these neighborhoods, he has regular clients.
-贝丝 -我们的孩子在学校里很开心
- Bess. - And our boys are happy at their school.
他们年复一年地与同一批同学一起成长
They've come up year after year with the same classmates.
拜托 贝丝
Please, Bess...
等我们走了之后 伊芙琳会后悔的
And when we are gone, Evelyn will regret this.
就像她现在这样生气又伤心
As angry and hurt as she is now,
她会把她仅有的妹妹和侄子送走
she will have sent away her only sister and her nephews,
她很爱他们 他们也很爱她
who she loves and who love her.
这将无法弥补...
And there will be no way to repair--
贝丝 你姐姐意识到这是个机会
Bess, your sister realizes that this is an opportunity.
你绝对不能退缩
You will not be set back in the slightest.
你会得到政♥府♥的一笔津贴
You'll be given a government stipend
来支付搬家费用的
to cover the cost of the move,
而且赫尔曼的薪水分文不少
and with Herman's salary intact,
在肯塔基州 住房♥和其他生活费用并不高
the cost of housing and other living expenses
很快你就会成为有房♥一族
are such in Kentucky that you will soon be homeowners
每一份薪水都能存起来
and saving off your every paycheck.
我们有足够的钱
We have enough money.
让你的孩子不必在威夸伊的封闭文化之下
And the personal growth inherent in getting your children
长大成人呢
out of the insulated culture of Weequahic?
剧集 | 反美阴谋 | 导航列表