剧集 | 反美阴谋 | 导航列表
贝丝 我在那只待了六个小时
Bess, I was there for six hours.
-那你觉得如何 -贝丝
- And how did it feel to you? - Bess...
我在问你加拿大的事
I'm asking about Canada.
那是另一个地方 另一个国家
It's another place. Another country.
不是我的国家
It's not my country.
继续按♥摩♥疤痕组织
Keep massaging the scar tissue.
我们来看看这里
Let's take a look at this.
-愈合得很好 -我马上回来
- It's healing nicely. - I'll be back.
用不了多久 你就能回家了
Before long, you'll be back home.
你家在哪 孩子
Where's home for you, son?
-新泽西 -你怎么样
- New Jersey. - How are we feeling over here?
还是把加拿大当家吧
Be wise to call Canada home.
我们照顾自己人
We take care of our own.
你在这里为国王和国家服务
You have served king and country here.
确保他能见到福利官
Just make sure he gets in to see the benefits administrator.
你可能会发现你在新泽西的同胞
You may find that your countrymen in New Jersey
并不像我们一样敬重你的牺牲
do not have the same high regard for your sacrifice as we do.
周五晚上
Well, it's always a delight
在一个精心周到的犹太人家里过总是很开心
to be in a well-tended Jewish home on a Friday evening.
贝丝 你的安息日之家
Bess, your Sabbath home
犹太教定为星期六
基♥督♥教定为星期日
让我想起了一句意第绪语
brings to mind a phrase from the Yiddish tongue.
贤良的家庭主妇
Balabusta.
你会说意第绪语吗 赫尔曼
You speak Yiddish, Herman?
一两句短语 不是很会
A phrase here and there, not really.
正确的用词是犹太巧妇
Well, balabusta is the correct phrase.
简单翻译过来
Roughly translated,
就是犹太家庭里会持家的女人
it means a woman who keeps a good Jewish home.
谢谢二位
I thank you both.
桑迪 你跟拉比讲讲在肯塔基州待的经历
Sandy, why don't you tell the Rabbi about your time in Kentucky.
是啊 这家农场具体在哪
Yes, where was the farm exactly?
佩里维尔 在莱克星顿附近
Perryville. It's near Lexington.
告诉他你在那学到了什么
And tell him what you learned there.
我对自己的国家有了很多了解 先生
I learned a lot about my country, sir,
也学习了种烟草
and a lot about growing tobacco.
桑迪 你知道吗
Did you know, Sandy,
英国人在弗吉尼亚詹姆斯敦的第一块殖民地
that tobacco was the economic foundation
在那里烟草可是经济基础
of the first English settlement at Jamestown in Virginia?
我不知道 但是我看到默威尼先生
No, I didn't. But I saw how much money
只花了几个小时在市场上销♥售♥烟草
Mr. Mawhinney made after only a couple hours
就挣到了很多钱
of selling it at the market.
烟草和棉花造就了南方
Well, tobacco and cotton built the South.
我出生在那个地区
That's a region for which I have some special affection,
对那里有特殊的感情
having been born there.
事实上我的父亲 从德国移♥民♥来之后
Indeed, my father, after emigrating from Germany,
驾着马车去了南方
went south with a horse and a wagon.
他是个小贩
He was a peddler, mind you.
他为了南方联盟国而战
He fought for the Confederacy.
他在钱斯勒斯维尔战役中受了伤
He was wounded at Chancellorsville,
他还在夏普斯堡打过仗
and he also fought at Sharpsburg,
你们北方人叫那里安提塔姆
which you in the North call Antietam,
战争中最残酷的一天
bloodiest day of the war.
他曾是图姆斯旅里的神枪手
He was with the sharpshooters in Toombs' Brigade
当时他们拖住了整支联邦军队六个小时
when they held off a whole wing of the Union army for six hours.
《哈加达》里写道 "我们曾在埃及为奴"
Once, we were slaves in Egypt, says the Haggadah.
但是你的父亲 他为法老而战
But your father, he fought with Pharaoh.
很难说是同一个
Hardly the only one.
你听说过犹大·本杰明吗
Did you ever hear of Judah Benjamin?
那是你父亲的名字吗
Was that your father's name?
不不 本杰明先生不是我的父亲
No, no. Mr. Benjamin was not my father.
他是个非常杰出的备受尊敬的犹太律师
He was a very prominent and respected Jewish lawyer.
在脱离联邦之前 他是南卡罗莱纳州的参议员
Before secession, he served as a senator from South Carolina,
内战期间 在南方联盟国政♥府♥内
and during the war, he was second only to Jefferson Davis
他仅在杰佛逊·戴维斯一人之下
in the government of the Confederacy.
一个支持不道德事业的犹太人
A Jew supporting an immoral cause,
站在了美国历史的对立面
on the wrong side of American history.
我非常同意 赫尔曼
Well, I certainly agree, Herman.
致使南方展开战争的原因
The cause for which the South went to war
在我看来既不合法也不道德
was neither legal nor moral in my judgment.
但我依然对本杰明持有最崇高的敬意
And yet, I've always held Judah Benjamin in the highest regard.
那时候犹太人在美国很少见
And a Jew was a rarity in America in those days,
而本杰明先生差一点
and Mr. Benjamin came very close
就达到了政♥治♥的顶峰
to the pinnacle of political success.
这件事的确非常有趣
Well, this is all very interesting,
但是失陪一下
but if you'll excuse me.
桑迪 到这边来
Sandy, come over here.
给拉比看看你画的素描
Why don't you show the Rabbi your sketches.
这是谷仓和猪舍
This is a barn and a hog shed
是默威尼先生亲手建的
that Mr. Mawhinney built with his own hands.
你的确有天赋 桑迪
You do have a talent, Sandy.
但是拉比 你说得就好像
But Rabbi, you make it sound as if...
欧洲的年轻人更没价值
Europe's young men are less valuable,
欧洲的犹太人更微不足道
that-- that European Jews are less important...
-人命是平等的 -我厌恶一切战争
- A life is a life. - I abhor all war.
恐怕欧洲永远都会是乱葬场
And Europe is a charnel house and will be so forever, I fear.
但是美国已经摆脱了那段邪恶的历史
But America has freed itself of that vile history,
也因此
and in doing so,
成为了犹太人最好的未来
becomes our best possible future as Jews.
你厌恶战争 但并不厌恶希♥特♥勒♥
You abhor war, but not Hitler.
这个疯子在发动一场从前所未有的战争
This madman is making a war such as no one has ever seen before.
我对阿道夫·希♥特♥勒♥的态度写满了藐视
I have only contempt for Adolf Hitler,
-而且 -好了孩子们 该睡觉了
- and... - All right, boys, time for bed.
今晚不用做家务 有伊芙帮我 去吧
No chores tonight. I have Ev to help me. Go on.
很高兴再见到你 桑迪
Delighted to see you again, Sandy.
还有你 菲利普
And you, too, Philip.
有人和你的想法并不相同 拉比
There are men and women who don't feel as you do, Rabbi.
无论他们在何处见到了邪恶 都会有所回应
They see evil, wherever it is, and they act.
战争是邪恶的 我正在做出回应
War is an evil. I am acting on that.
有些情况下是必要的邪恶
A necessary evil, in some cases.
我有个侄子加入了加拿大的战争
I have a nephew fighting with the Canadians,
自愿抵抗希♥特♥勒♥以及他的同盟
volunteering against Hitler and his kind.
他受伤了
He's been wounded.
你哥哥的儿子 伊芙琳跟我说过
Your brother's son. Evelyn told me.
失去了一条腿
The loss of a leg.
这将需要你们有的所有爱心和耐心
It will require all the love and patience you have
让他重新开始有贡献的人生
to deliver him to a place that he can again resume a useful life.
他这辈子一直在贡献 拉比
His life never ceased to be useful, Rabbi.
对我来说 阿尔文是个英雄
To me... Alvin is a hero.
对我来说 是场悲剧
And to me, a tragedy.
这个国家并未陷入战争
This country is not at war.
我们不需要年轻男子献出自己的生命或是肢体
We do not require our young men to sacrifice life or limb.
我们有些人为此付出了很多
And some of us have gone to great effort to make this so.
我猜阿尔文是把自己当成了世界公民
I guess Alvin counted himself a citizen of the world...
以及犹太人
and a Jew.
因为无论希♥特♥勒♥走到哪
And since everywhere he goes,
他都会打倒并且击毙犹太人
Hitler beats down and shoots the Jews...
或许有一天他会来到这里 来到美国
there may be a time where he comes here to America
打倒并且击毙我们
to beat down and shoot us.
届时我们总统会怎么做 保护我们吗
And what will our president do then? Defend us?
还是他和希♥特♥勒♥先生已经达成了其他共识
Or have he and Herr Hitler reached another understanding?
桑迪 你想看我的邮票吗
Sandy, do you wanna see my stamps?
我昨天早晨还在白宫
I was at the White House talking to the president
跟总统交谈
just yesterday morning.
我告诉总统
And I informed the president
即便我的教友
that any number of my own congregants
曾经给罗斯福投过票
who had voted for Roosevelt
如今也是他坚定的支持者了
were now his strong supporters,
感激他让我们国家
grateful that he had spared our country
免受另一场世界大战之苦
the agonies of yet another Great War.
不可否认 在成为总统之前
Admittedly, before becoming president,
剧集 | 反美阴谋 | 导航列表