剧集 | 反叛者(2017) | 导航列表
And I thought that would result in Gottlieb saying,
"嘿 你们终于知道自己在干嘛了"
"Hey, you did know what you were doing."
但并不是 他说的是
But instead, it was,
"如果你们这张专辑卖♥♥了一百万张"
"If you sold a million copies of this album,"
"那下一张专辑我们得卖♥♥四百万张"
"then we need to sell four million on the next one."
呃 我不是那么想的
Um, I didn't see it that way.
然后我明白了他就不打算让路
And I knew he wasn't going to get out of the way.
Trent不是第一个这么想的音乐人了 他们就觉得
Trent would not be the first artist who... who thought,
"哇 现在我尝到了成功的甜头"
"Gee, now I'm having a taste of success."
"不如我就"
"Wouldn't it be nice"
"离开这个独♥立♥厂牌然后加盟一个大厂牌吧"
"to be off an independent label and on a big label?"
很多主流厂牌都有意准备诉讼
Pretty much every major label were all willing to fund a lawsuit
来帮他们摆脱他们的合约
to help them get out of their contracts,
因为他们都觉得Nine Inch Nails有那么出色
'cause they think Nine Inch Nails is that great.
这是我第一次看到Jimmy如此思考问题
This is the first time I saw Jimmy thinking,
像是种 三维式的思考
like, kind of three-dimensional.
他说 "我们要是走诉讼这条路肯定赢不了"
He said, "We won't win if we go down the lawsuit route."
"每家厂牌都这么搞"
"Everyone else is gonna do that,"
"所以咱们得做点儿别的"
"so we gotta do something different."
唯一能帮得上忙的办法是
The only way to really facilitate this
得有人去说服那个厂牌接纳一个合作伙伴
is somebody goes and convinces the label to take on a partner.
我说 "那 咱们该怎么做"
I said, "Well, how are we gonna do that?"
电♥话♥ 那是他的战争剧场
The phone. That is his theater of war.
在那里他是致命的
That's where he is deadly.
他开始跟Steve Gottlieb通话
He started to speak to Steve Gottlieb
整整一年的每一天
every day for one year straight.
他一整年住在厕所里打电♥话♥
He lived in the bathroom for a year, on the phone.
每天早上六点
Every morning at six o'clock,
我给工作相关的所有人打电♥话♥
I'd call everybody involved.
他坐在一架导演椅上 脚这么抬着
And he'd sit on this director's chair, feet up like this.
一边签约Nine Inch Nails
At the same time signing Nine Inch Nails,
一边攻克TVT
at the same time working TVT,
以只有他能理解的解决方式对待他们双方
treating both of 'em in a way that he could see the resolution.
别人都无法理解
They couldn't see it.
跟律师聊 跟Steve聊 跟Trent的经纪人聊
The lawyer, Steve, Trent's manager.
他使出怒火 魅力 欺骗 迂回这些办法
And he used anger, charm, guile, deviousness.
他炽热地专注于目标 核武器般的效果
He had a red-hot focus. It was nuclear.
我就坐这儿 我耗得过任何人
I'm just gonna sit in here. I can outlast anybody.
他一整年都未曾离开过那间厕所
He did not come out of that bathroom for one year.
对孩子们 我只能一直告诉他们
The kids... I just kept saying, you know,
"爸爸就住在厕所里"
"Daddy's living in the bathroom."
那痛苦至极 - Jimmy不会放弃
It was painful. - Jimmy wouldn't give up.
直到Steve意识到这场仗他怎么也赢不了
And when Steve realized that he was not going to win this battle,
他同意将合同转签给了Interscope
he agreed to sign over the contract to Interscope.
所有人都了解Steve Gottlieb
Anybody knows Steve Gottlieb,
但是把他逼到那种境地
just getting him to that point
是只有Jimmy能做出来的事儿
was something that only Jimmy could do.
同理心
Empathy.
呃 我觉得他 他的能力
Um, I think his... his ability
他用其他人的角度看问题的能力
to take the other person's point of view,
去理解 并欣赏的能力
and to understand it and appreciate it
并且换位思考
and put himself in those shoes.
这种能力也解释了
That also informs...
为什么他作为一个生意人 能如此出色
why he's so good as... as a marketer...
你知道的 就凭他有能力去理解人们
you know, in terms of his being able to understand people
思考他们的首要动机
and really think about, you know, their primal motivations,
他们渴望的东西
their desires,
然后极其努力 拥有那种
and really try and... and have this kind of...
心灵融合一般的感应 知道什么会打动别人
Vulcan mind meld of what is gonna, uh, move them.
在那之后 我还是没见到Trent本人
So after all that, I still hadn't met Trent in person.
到那时为止 他已经是彻底地反感
By that time, he was completely allergic
唱片公♥司♥的管理人了
to record company executives.
我呆在一个旅馆房♥间里
It was in a hotel room,
刻意把灯关上
and I purposely turned the lights down.
然后我就想 "我会把自己刻画成"
And I just thought, "I'm gonna have to portray myself"
"一个你不想打交道的人"
"as not someone that you want to deal with."
我走进房♥间 漆黑一片 只有点燃的蜡烛
I went into this room. It's dark, and there's candles.
就像和德古拉见面一样
I mean, it was like a meeting with Dracula.
他好像说的是 "你想得到什么"
You know, he kind of said, "What do you want?"
然后我说 "我希望"
And I said, "Well, I'd like"
"你先允许给我出张专辑"
"you to give me an advance for an album,"
"然后放我一个人待着"
"And then just leave me alone."
"然后我会给你专辑 我会给你单曲"
"And I'll give you the album, and I'll give you singles,"
"我会给你个艺术成品"
"And I'll give you the artwork."
"但我不想要一个坐在录音室里指指点点的人"
"But I don't want someone sitting in the studio."
"如果我有了想法"
"I have an idea. "
"请不要在它快要成型的时候毁掉它"
"Please don't ruin it as it's trying to come out of me."
"好 那你还想要什么"
"Okay, what else do you want?"
"呃 我还想要一个自己的唱片厂牌"
"Um, well, I'd like to have a record label"
"这样我有想要的乐队就可以把他们签下来"
"where I could sign other bands if I felt like that."
"好 你还想要什么"
"Okay, what else do you want?"
我想不出来别的东西了
I couldn't think of anything else.
所以我说 "那顺便"
You know? So I said, "By the way,"
"这是
"here's Broken. You can put that out."
他们真把
They actually gave us Broken as a free additional record.
这太棒了
It was amazing,
因为在我们与他们乐队经历了这些事之后
because after all we had been through with them...
没什么人知道的
nobody really knew about it,
我们短期内有点资♥金♥周♥转♥不足了
but we were sort of scrambling for cash for a minute.
Interscope当时运营得并不好
Interscope wasn't doing great at that moment,
而Jimmy还有个疯狂而为之执迷的大局观
and Jimmy had this mad, obsessed focus on the big picture.
九十年代在美国是个瞬息万变的年代
The '90s were really volatile times in America,
而音乐也是不可思议的
and music was incredible.
它可以表达很多东西
It really had something to say.
我们也需要一个唱片公♥司♥
And we wanted a record company
来继承70年代Atlantic唱片的精神
in the spirit of Atlantic Records in 1970
那个年代他们有Ray Charles Led Zeppelin
when they had Ray Charles, Led Zeppelin,
Ray Charles 灵魂乐先驱
Led Zeppelin 英国摇滚乐队 在硬摇滚和重金属音乐发展中起到了重要作用
Aretha Franklin The Rolling Stones这些艺人
Aretha Franklin, The Rolling Stones.
Aretha Franklin 摇滚名人堂首位入选女歌♥手 有着"灵魂歌♥后"的美誉
The Rolling Stones 英国传统蓝调摇滚乐队 入选摇滚名人堂
这些是他们那个年代最伟大的音乐人
Those were the greatest artists of their time,
不论在都市生活中还是摇滚世界里
both from the urban world and from the rock world,
而那就是我们要努力去做的
and that's what we were trying to do.
有一天我走进Jimmy的办公室
I walked into Jimmy's office one day.
他问 "Steve 你知道你的毛病出在哪儿吗"
He goes, "Steve, you know what your problem is?"
然后他画了一条直线
And he drew a straight line.
他说 "这就是你"
And he goes, "That's you."
他说 "你知道我们要给你的生活带来什么吗"
He goes, "You know what we gotta bring into your life?"
然后他乱画了几笔 "我们得给你来点这个"
And he squiggles. "We gotta get some of that."
搞死条子
Fuck the police!
我们要去韦斯特伍德 布伦特伍德 怀特伍德 所有这些
We going to Westwood, Brentwood, Whitewood. All that.
*我能感受到*
*I can feel it*
事情始于一场高速追逐
It began as a high-speed chase,
根据加利福尼亚高速公路巡逻队的说法
according to the California Highway Patrol,
后来在周日的早晨 以Rodney King
and ended early Sunday morning with Rodney King
被洛杉矶警官暴打而收场
being brutally beaten by Los Angeles police officers.
*成大事之时 就在今晚*
*Tonight's the night I get in some shit*
*- 哟 - 卧底警♥察♥正在执行秘密任务*
*- Yeah - Deep cover on the incognito tip*
*有必要的话 我不介意射杀几个垃圾*
*Killing motherfuckers if I have to*
*爆头也可以 杂种们知道我找上了门*
*Peeling caps too, 'cause you niggas know I'm coming at you*
*这或许也是贩毒的一部分*
*I guess that's part of the game*
*但我对他们也能感同身受*
*But I feel for the nigga*
*以为加入进来 能够铤而走险*
*who thinks he just gonna come and chance things*
*只要手脚麻利动作迅捷 什么都能解决*
*With the swiftness, so get it right with the quickness*
*那让我来处理我的事吧*
*And let me handle my business, yo*
在制♥作♥
During the making of "The Chronic",
洛杉矶名副其实地燃起来了
LA was literally on fire.
兄弟们进来录音室
Niggas was coming in the studio with
手里都搬着些电视 烤箱等等玩意儿
TVs, toasters and all kinda shit.
简直在录音间开了个妈的跳蚤市场
It was like a fucking swap meet in the Mic booth.
我说 "哥们儿 你们到底在干个几把"
剧集 | 反叛者(2017) | 导航列表