剧集 | 奇异天使 | 导航列表
就轮到本科生
undergrads.
那个名单上我在哪个位置
Where am I on that list?
我担心对于椭圆汽缸周围的
I doubt I'll have much to say
层流边界层 我会有很多话要说
about the laminar boundary layer around an elliptic cylinder.
题目不重要
The topic is not important.
加州理工学院的每一个学生都会参加
Every student from GALCIT will be there.
这就是我们应该招募人才的地方
This is where we should be recruiting people.
对 没错
Yeah, right.
这就是校园里最聪明的
This is where the best and brightest minds
思维聚集在一起的地方 对吗
on campus congregate, right?
我们应该进去和他们在一起
We should be in there with them.
不行 杰克
Don't, Jack.
雅典娜神庙只有受邀才能进去
The Athenaeum is invite only.
我们走着瞧
We'll see about that.
讲座十分钟后就开始了
The lecture is in ten minutes.
不要急 我只是进去快速地看一眼
Hold your horses. I'm just gonna get a quick peek inside.
您好 先生 有什么可以帮您的吗
Good day, sir. Is there something I can help you with?
对 也许你可以 我在找我朋友伯蒂
Uh, yeah, maybe you can. I'm looking for the room
- 吃饭的房♥间 - 伯蒂
- my pal Bertie ate in. - Bertie?
正如爱因斯坦 他的朋友叫他伯蒂
As in Einstein. His friends call him Bertie.
您是教授俱乐部的一员吗
Are you a member of the faculty club?
你永远不会知道 我也许是
You never know, I may be.
等您接受邀请的那一刻
Well, the moment you're invited,
您想要进任何你喜欢的房♥间看看都可以
you're more than welcome to look in any room you like.
在此之前 请您离开
In the meantime, please be on your way.
您的闲逛打扰到我们的客人了
Your loitering is bothering our guests.
下午好 哈蒙德教授
Good afternoon, Professor Hammond.
有朝一日 这地方会求着我加入
Some day, this place is gonna be begging me to join,
我也会同意加入 只有一个条件
and I'll agree on one condition only:
那就是他们要炒了这个烦人的看门人
that they fire their fucking doorman.
在大多数情况下 边界层
In most cases, the boundary layer is turbulent
在大部分机翼上都是湍流的
over much of the airfoil.
但是从停滞点
But the properties of the small laminar region downstream
到下游小片层的性质
from the stagnation point
对过渡现象有明显的影响
have a noticeable impact on the transition phenomena.
我要感谢马修兰教授
I would like to thank Professor Mesulam
为我们慷慨提供了数学推导的检验
for his generosity in checking the mathematical derivations.
如果你们还有什么问题
If there remains any questions that you would like to ask,
现在就可以问了
I will now briefly open the floor.
好 后面那位
Yes, you in the back.
感谢你那让人醍醐灌顶的演说 教授
Thank you for that illuminating talk, Professor.
我学到了对于层流边界层
I've learned everything I would ever want to know
我想要了解的所有信息
about laminar boundary layers,
但是我很好奇你是否曾经想过
but I'm curious if you've ever given thought to aircraft
飞机不会经历那样的空气摩擦
that wouldn't experience that sort of air friction?
我不懂你的意思
I'm afraid I don't follow.
我不是指那些设计成
I don't mean aircraft designed to fly
在地球大气以内飞行的飞机
within Earth's atmosphere,
而是那些设计成要完全离开地球大气的飞机
but those designed to leave Earth altogether.
我的哪个学生让你这么做
Which one of my students put you up to this?
没有人 先生
No one did, sir.
我对合作不感兴趣
I'm not interested in playing along.
在座有人能认真提一个问题吗
Is there anyone who would like to ask a serious question?
我就是认真的
I am being serious.
我和我身边这位搭档正在领导
My partner here and I are heading up
加州理工学院的第一个
Caltech's first project dedicated
致力于火箭科学的项目
to the science of rocketry.
这就是你离开螺旋桨团队去做的项目吗
This is the project you left the propeller team for,
奥斯德先生
Mr. Onsted?
说话 理查德 这样他们听不见你
Speak up, Richard. I don't think they heard you.
是的 先生
Um, yes, sir.
确实如此 提尔曼教授
Yes, it is, Professor Tillman.
因为他和我意识到了同样的事情
Because he realized the same thing I did,
那就是螺旋桨是一项垂死的技术
that propellers are a dying technology.
这个学院标榜自己
This institute prides itself
致力于科学前沿 而目前为止 我不禁只注意到了
on breaking new frontiers, and yet, I can't help but notice
对现状的某种默许
a certain acquiescence to the status quo.
你们必须问自己一个问题
The question you all must ask yourselves:
你未来是只想成为一名技术人员
do you wish to merely be technicians,
- 还是成为一名创新者 - 够了
- or are you innovators? - That's enough.
火箭才是未来 不管你们信
Rockets are the future, whether you want to believe in them
还是不信
or not.
我和奥斯德先生将会建造
And Mr. Onsted and I are going to build machines
让人类能够探索宇宙的机器
that will allow mankind to explore the cosmos,
而我们正在寻找
and we're looking for
几个幸运的家伙加入我们的团队
a few fortunate souls to join our team.
只有你们当中最聪明
Only the most brilliant
最勇敢的人才能申请
and bold among you need apply.
不 等等
No, no. No, no, no.
你叫什么名字
What's your name?
帕森斯 先生 我叫杰克·帕森斯
Parsons, sir. Jack Parsons.
你是学生吗
Are you a student?
我对你完全没有印象
I'm entirely unfamiliar with you.
我不是学生
I'm not a student, no.
我是个化学家 主要是
I'm a chemist, primarily.
开玩笑吗
You kidding me?
一个化学家 主要是
"A chemist, primarily"?
也许你的名字很贴切
Perhaps you're aptly named Jack,
就像 各行各业
as in "of all trades...
都不精
master of none"?
我敢说对于化学
I'd venture to say I know more about chemistry
我比在座各位都更了解
than anyone in this room.
我也敢说
I'd venture to say
你还敢吹很多牛
that you'd venture to say a lot of things.
你声称你在从事火箭科学的工作
You claim you're working on the science of rocketry,
但这本身就是个矛盾的句子
but that's a contradiction in terms.
火箭并不是科学
Rockets aren't science.
它们是一些只能在好莱坞电影里出现的轻率的想法
They're a harebrained idea fit only for Hollywood films.
我来告诉你为什么
And here's why.
我注意到你之前是一名化学家
I, uh, realize you're primarily a chemist,
但是研究火箭的人
but a man working on rockets
总得对于航♥空♥学有些基本的涉猎
ought to be familiar with the basics of aeronautics.
你知道这个等式是什么意思吗
Do you know what this equation suggests?
喂
Excuse me.
你怎么溜号♥了
What's the matter?
像你一样有自信的人
Surely a man as confident as yourself knows
肯定知道飞机性能的基本方程
the fundamental equation of airplane performance.
鉴于我们时间不多
Since we don't have all day,
让我用门外汉都能理解的辞藻来解释
let me explain in terms a layman would understand.
从这个方程中 我们可以推算出
From this equation, one could extrapolate
产生航♥空♥器突破地心引力所需要的推力时
that the amount of fuel needed for an aircraft
需要消耗的燃料质量是十分大的
to achieve thrust greater than the pull of gravity
这样才能完成这一壮举
would be so heavy as to render such a feat impossible.
或者 你也许可以相处某种
Or, unless you've come up with some kind of
我们都从未听说过的神奇燃料
magical fuel that none of us have ever heard of?
我没有
I haven't,
但是这不意味着以后就没有
but that doesn't mean I won't.
你说啥
Excuse me?
就因为我们想要完成的东西
Just because the math doesn't exist
是无法计算的 并不意味着
for what we're trying to do, doesn't mean
我们想要完成的东西就不存在
what we're trying to do can't exist.
也许重力会反转
And maybe gravity will reverse,
也许天空会变成紫色
and maybe the sky will turn purple,
就说也许哈 圣诞老人是真实存在的
and maybe, just maybe, Santa Claus is real.
这是加州理工大学 帕森斯先生
This is Caltech, Mr. Parsons.
我们不凭空臆想
We don't deal in fantasy.
我们基于的是事实真♥相♥
We deal in hard facts.
杰克
Jack?
你为什么不告诉我你来家了
Why didn't you tell me you were home?
你在干嘛
What are you doing?
剧集 | 奇异天使 | 导航列表