剧集 | 富兰克林(2024) | 导航列表
母亲
Mother.
(战争即将来临)
(独♥立♥宣言)
(改编自)
(斯泰西希夫的《伟大的即兴创作》)
为何
Why?
我希望过好生活 但太懒了 不想努力
I wish to live well. But I'm too lazy to work for it.
就这么简单
Quite simple, really.
我们不是这样教育你的
We didn't raise you to be like this.
抱歉 母亲 但实际上你们确实这么做了
I am sorry, Mother, but actually you did.
你知道我们现在的处境吗
Do you have any idea of the straits we're in?
我知道是时候我...
I understand it's time I--
你得离开这个家
You're to leave this house.
如果再让我看到你在这里 或出现在我的任何房♥子
If I see you here again, or at any property I own,
我就揍你 并把你锁起来
I'll have you beaten and put in chains.
- 就这样 - 父亲
- And that's an end to it. - Father.
- 我承诺... - 去向别人承诺吧
- I promise-- - Promise someone else.
那我该怎么办
What's to become of me?
这与我无关
That's no concern of mine.
我们无法同意
We cannot agree to that.
我们不打算让步
We are not inclined to yield.
- 首先 你们想用加拿大“饱餐一顿” - 我们已经放弃了这一要求
- First, you wish to make a meal of Canada. - No, we have relinquished that.
我并没有
I have not.
现在则宣称自己 拥有密西西比河两岸的所有权
Now you lay claim to the banks of the Mississippi.
你们若不愿赔偿 我们只好另寻赔偿方式
If you will not pay reparations, we are forced to seek compensation elsewhere.
还有纽芬兰水域的事
There is still the issue of the Newfoundland waters.
先生 鳕鱼属于我们 我们不会拱手相让
The cod is ours, sir. We will not surrender it.
现在不是由你们相让 而是我们愿不愿意给予
It is not yours to surrender but ours to grant.
这般暴♥政♥就是导致战争的原因
Such tyranny was the cause for war to begin with.
- 杰伊先生 - 先生 何事
- Mr. Jay. - Sir?
可以请你不要抽烟吗
Might I ask you not to smoke.
让我觉得相当窒息
I find it rather suffocating.
- 你们的领土... - 是国家
- Your territory-- - Country.
没错
Indeed.
贵国横跨大西洋海岸
Your country runs the length of the Atlantic coast
一直延伸到格鲁吉亚的南部边缘
to the southern edge of Georgia.
你们现在凭什么想把它翻倍
Now, by what rate do you double it
并对我们都没见过的土地宣称拥有权
and lay claim to lands none of us here have ever seen?
凭我们将成为的国家的权利
By the right of the nation we will become.
那我们就更有理由拒绝给予更多土地了
All the more reason to limit the scope that we agree to.
你们若想把我们困在大西洋 和阿勒格尼山脉之间
If you intend to trap us between the ocean and the Alleghenies,
我们将如何视这为和平提议呢
how can we regard that as peace?
你们若不断扩大领土
If you accept no limits to your boundaries,
我们又如何确保自身在北美的利益
how can we be secure in our North American interests?
你们将拥有北美的利益 正是我们担心的理由
That you will have North American interests is the grounds for our concern.
- 希望有人给我解释一下... - 格伦维尔先生...
- I would like someone to explain to me... - Mr. Grenville--
纽芬兰怎么可能...
...by what magic Newfoundland...
- 你如此愚蠢至极 - 同时属于又不属于加拿大的一部分
- Are you so majestically nitwitted? - ...both is and is not part of Canada.
如果你们对先例
Were you to possess even the most rudimentary
- 有最基本的了解 就会... - 也许通过安排...
- grasp of precedent, you would-- - Perhaps by arrangement on--
我的老天
By God's wounds!
富兰克林博士
Dr. Franklin.
奥斯瓦尔德先生
Mr. Oswald.
我们是否能别斤斤计较
May we dispense with a nicety?
在哪方面
Of what nature?
你在凡尔赛宫的朋友们所“绘制的地图”
Your friends at Versailles have drawn a map
比我们提议的要差
less generous than what we have proposed.
他们有吗
Have they?
你知道的 我们也知道
You know this. We know it too.
你们是怎么知道的
You've come to this knowledge how?
通过这个我们所有人都参与的“游戏”
By the game we are, all of us, engaged in.
告诉一个人你偷了他的钱
It's a pretty thing to tell a man
来证明你的诚实是件很了不起的事
you've picked his pocket as proof of your honesty.
亚当斯先生 让他说
Mr. Adams, let him speak.
想把你们困在山的东边的人是他们
It is they who mean to confine you east of the mountains.
剩下的土地将落入西班牙 和红印第安人手中
The rest will go to Spain and the Red Indians, hmm?
以此来约束我们俩
To hold us both in check.
你们难道不认为 相较于听命于法国人 若此刻在这屋里与我们谈成和解
Can we not agree that you will gain more by settling with us now, and in this room,
对你们来说获益将更大
than by deferring to the French?
你们是否愿意把加拿大给我们
Will you give us Canada?
办不到
We cannot.
你们是否愿意 放弃对所占有的财产进行索赔
Will you forego reparations for seized property?
如果你们也愿意这样做
If you do the same.
你们会把所有的土地 割让给密西西比河东岸吗
Will you cede all the land to the eastern banks of the Mississippi
并保证我们在密西西比河上的航行权
and guarantee the rights of navigation on the river itself?
会的
We will.
你们是否会允许我们在纽芬兰海岸捕鱼
Will you grant us fishing rights off the Newfoundland coast?
- 海岸没得商... - 若你们答应我们...
- The coast is nonnego-- - Give us--
从今天起不再和韦尔热讷部长进行交涉
Give us your assent now without further engagement of Minister Vergennes,
那我们就答应
and the answer is yes.
我不确定
I don't know.
什么意思
What do you mean?
我的意思是我无法确定
I mean I don't know.
你不确定能否答应
You don't know if you will say yes?
是的
That is correct.
那你什么时候能确定
When might you know?
不好说 但我确定自己现在不能确定
I can't say, but I know that I do not know now.
好了
Well...
晚饭时间到了
time for supper.
亚当斯先生 杰伊先生想跟你谈谈 先生
Mr. Adams. Mr. Jay would like a word, sir.
伯努瓦 他对你好吗
Does he treat you well, Benoit?
杰伊先生是位头脑十分清醒的主人
Mr. Jay is a most sober master.
被告知不要吸烟 真是冒昧粗鲁
To be told not to smoke. Of all the presumptions.
这就是你想跟我说的话
Is that what you wish to convey to me?
他已不是从前的他 很不幸 这是事实
He is not the man he was. That is unfortunately clear.
那你想怎么做呢
And what do you wish to do about it?
你已经有所决定
You have already decided that.
我不过是表示同意
I simply give my consent.
我不喜欢你
I do not like you.
是吗
Really?
我不喜欢你的傲慢
I do not like your arrogance.
不喜欢你假装谦卑的样子
I do not like your pretense of humility.
不喜欢你所谓的机智
I do not like your so-called wit
你利用这种机智来使那些 看穿你欺诈行径的人失去戒备
by which you work to disarm those who would see through your fraudulence.
我不喜欢你的放荡欲望
I don't like your libertine appetites.
岁数是你一半的人 拥有这种欲望会令人谴责
Damning in someone half your age,
但对于年纪大的人 则是令人厌恶
but positively repellent in a man of advanced years.
我不喜欢你的肆无忌惮、你的私生子后代
I do not like your lack of scruples, your bastard progeny,
你的个人习惯、你的穿衣风格
your personal habits, your manner of dress.
我讨厌你的小年鉴
I loathe your little almanac.
我在费城成立了一所消防公♥司♥
Well, I did start a company of firemen in Philadelphia.
这应该有意义吧
That must count for something.
我所说的
All I have said
只是序言
is but a preamble.
“迫使我谴责所有自称爱国者
"...compels me to denounce all who call themselves patriots
并憎恨他们非法煽动叛乱的人
and abhor the rebellion they unlawfully foment.
但祖父让我保持沉默 不要危及他自身的前途
But Grandfather has bid me keep silent and do not imperil his own prospects,
无论哪一方最终获胜
whichever side may prove the victor.
因为在动荡不安的年代里 谨慎的做法是说一套、做一套
For, in unsettled times, it is prudent to seem one thing and be another,
这样无论如何都能获益 至少他是这样教导我的
and thus profit either way, or so he instructs me.
在欺骗的艺术上 没人比他更聪明”
No one is wiser in the art of deception."
能让我看看吗
May I?
没任何“机智”的反驳吗
No clever retort?
我说什么还有关系吗 你已经对我进行了审判和下了判刑
What does it matter what I say? You've already tried and sentenced me.
无辜的人会表示抗♥议♥
An innocent man would protest.
有罪的人也会这样做
So would a guilty one.
我能以此信毁了你
I could ruin you with this.
你早就想这么做了
You have long wished to.
如今机会来了
Here is your chance.
在我看来 没有哪种罪孽是你所不能为的
There is no sin I consider beneath you...
除了叛国
except treason.
谢谢 我想是吧
Thank you. I suppose.
剧集 | 富兰克林(2024) | 导航列表