剧集 | 波士顿法律(2004) | 导航列表
Denny Crane.
Denny Crane
Mr. Bombay, you are asking for a court order to end your life.
Bombay先生 你向法庭请求中止生命
Under today's science.
用今天的科技
Tomorrow might be quite different. But, sir, let's be realistic.
明天可能会大不一样 但是 先生 现实一点
Why the helldo I have to be realistic It's my body.
该死的为什么我要现实一点呢 这是我的身体
What do I have to do, get pregnant
我要做什么 怀孕吗
Well, you may be couching this in pro-life terms,
你也许有点超前了
but in today's scientific world, being frozen makes you dead.
但是以今天的科技 冷冻意味着死亡
I am asking for the chance to be alive in tomorrow's world.
我在争取将来重生的机会
To play with my great-great-great great-grandchildren.
和我的曾曾曾曾孙一起玩耍
Do you have grandchildren today
你现在有孙子了吗
I've got six, all grown.
有六个 都成年了
Three of them love me.
有三个很爱我
Suppose one of them came into the court at, say, the age of 30
假设他们中有一个今天出现在这里 比如30岁
asking to be frozen.
也请求冷冻
I'd say wait. You've got a lot of years.
我会说再等等 你还年轻
Well, but maybe they, too, would like it done before their body starts to go south,
但如果他们想在壮年时就这么做呢
which, at 30, it can.
比如30岁
Look, I don't advocate this for young, healthy people.
我不提倡健康的年轻人这么做
But certainly, if you can decide for yourself, so should others, right
但是如果你能自己作主 那其他人也能 对吗
I'm close to 80.
我快80了
My life is almost over.
快死的人了
Does one have to be old to get this autonomy
难道只有年长者才能自己作主吗
How about somebody 35 with cancer
一个35岁的癌症患者呢
If it was incurable, yes.
如果是绝症 他可以
Parkinson's disease. M.S.
帕金森综合症
What if somebody wanted to get frozen to avoid the draft
假设有人想被冷冻以此逃脱兵役呢
Let him move to Canada. Freeze his balls off.
让他去加拿大 把他的子弹冻起来
Denny Crane.
Denny Crane
Why did you do that You were getting picked apart in there.
为什么你要这么做 你在吹毛求疵
I was not. I was doing just fine. I had to stop the other side's momentum.
我没有 我做得很好 我必须阻止对方的势头
He was shooting spitballs at a battleship.Boys.
他想把事情搞砸
I was having a real momentin there, and you stepped on it.
我在法庭上正襟危坐 你却在一旁摇旗呐喊
Boys, we need to get back to the office and prepare our expert.
我们需要回去找个医学专家
He stepped on my moment. Did not.Boys.
他坏了我的事 我没有 好了
Cryonics proponents don't refer to the patient as dead,
人体冷冻学的支持者们不认为病人死亡
simply preserved.
而是保存
Frozen. Yes.
冷冻 是的
But, doctor, if a person's heart isn't beating, if there's no brain activity,
但是医生 如果心脏停止跳动 大脑停止活动
we tend to call them dead.
我们就称为死亡
Under today's medical definition, yes. But the definition of cryonics
按照今天的医学定义 是的 但是根据人体冷冻学
is basically a process using a very cold temperature to prevent people from dying.
这是在极低的温度下维持生命的过程
Where'd we get this quack
我们从哪儿找来的江湖郎中
Uh, doctor, let's be fair.
医生 坦白说
Has anyone ever been brought back to life after being frozen
有没有人在被冷冻后生还
No, and it's not likely to happen soon, but the technology is changing.
没有 现在还不行 但科技在进步
We're discovering more and more about molecular nanotechnology every day,
我们正在研究分子纳米技术
and one day, it will be a reality.
总有一天会实现的
Molecular what
分子什么
One second, doctor.
稍等 医生
Denny, I'm gonna try something here I don't have time to explain.
Denny 我正在询问 没有时间跟你解释
I just need you to go with it, okay
你只需要坐在这里 好吗
I want you to count backwards from 100 silently.
从100开始往前默数
Why
为什么
I'll explain later. It's important.
一会再告诉你 这很重要
Uh, 99, 98
99 98
Okay, doctor,
好了 医生
we've heard that cryonics is in our future, but, please, give me one example,
我们已经了解未来的冷冻技术 但请你举个例子
one piece of evidence that indicates that this could possibly work.
证明这项技术是可行的
The wood frog.
林蛙
I'm sorry. Did you say wood frog
抱歉 你说的是林蛙吗
Uh, yes.
是的
A frogin the Canadian arctic that hibernates and completely freezes in the winter.
一种生活在加拿大北极圈的生物 冬眠时会完全冷冻
No heartbeat, no brain activity. It goes completely dead
没有心跳 没有大脑活动 按照今天对死亡的定义
by today's definition of death.
它和死了一模一样
Then in the spring, it wakens.
春天它又会苏醒
Brain activity resumes, heart starts beating.
大脑恢复运转 心脏继续跳动
It's alive again.
它又活了
And you think if it's possible for a frog
那你认为林蛙可以
Why not for a human
人也一样可以了
If we can accomplish total metabolic arrest with no tissue damage,
如果在人体组织完好无损的情况下 完全中止新陈代谢
we will be able to freeze people for thousands of years
人们能够被冷冻上千年
and bring them back to life.
再起死回生
Thank you, doctor.
谢谢 医生
Humans are warm-blooded animals designed to stay at 98 degrees.
人类是热血动物 人体温度是98华氏度
Those frogs are cold-blooded with a completely different molecular structure.
而青蛙是冷血动物 它们的分子结构完全不同
Well, admittedly, the future of cryonics
不可否认冷冻技术的发展
involves the development of molecular technology.
包含分子技术的进步
For which there is no evidence it can work with warm-blooded
但没有证据能表明它对热血动物一样有效
Yes, there is.
有证据
We have frozen rat livers, thawed them, and transplanted them into living rats.
我们冷冻老鼠肝脏 再把它们解冻 移植到活老鼠体内
In Israel, they did it with frozen hearts.
在以色列 还移植过心脏
In both cases, the rats lived. Not for long,
两个手术里 老鼠都活了 虽然存活时间不长
but the hearts and livers did come back to life.
但心脏和肝脏的确重活了
With humans, we've frozen heart valves
我们已经冷冻了心脏瓣
And you think the idea of freezing people is ethical
你认为人体冷冻符合伦理吗
Is that consistent with It's evidently ethical to freeze embryos,
它能 很明显冷冻胚胎符合伦理
but again, I'm up here to give you the science,
我想再次声明我们在讨论科学
not engage in a moral debate.
不是道德辩论
He kicked their ass.
他让他们哑口无言
And the best part of it was he had integrity,
最重要的是他很诚实
which is what you need in your expert.
这正是我们需要的
What did he cost us $2,500.
我们付多少钱给他 2500美元
The whore.
敲竹杠
Schmidt Schmidt. How are we doing
怎么了
The leading federal case would be Schiavo.
联邦政♥府♥那件案子可能是Schiavo
It's not first circuit, but since the supreme court
这不是第一次巡回审讯
just refused to hear the appeal, we could argue it's controlling.
但因为最高法♥院♥拒绝审理这个上诉 我们可以断定有人幕后操纵
I want to read it. Can you make me a copy
我要看看 给我一份复印件
You want to read it, Denny Hell no.
你要看看吗 Denny 不
Uh, can I talk to you in private for a second, please
我能私下和你说几句话吗
I, uh
我
I didn't want to embarrass you in front of your superiors,
我不想让你在上司面前尴尬
but it seems to me the controlling case on this would be Cruzan.
但这件案件可能是Cruzan在操纵
Rehnquis The whole thrust of Rehnquist's opinion was autonomy,
审判的核心是个人自主
the patient's right to decide.
病人有权做决定
The opinion was muddled. It was essentially 3-pronged.
胡说八道 这是个三方的问题
Autonomy, the patient's best interests, and the state's interest to preserve life.
个人自主 病人最大的权益 国家对保护生命的权利
You'd win on prong one,
第一方你获胜
but you'd likely lose on prongs two and three.
但第二 三方你却快输了
You're much better off arguing Schiavo.
你最好去和Schiavo辩论
Mr. Bombay. Yes
Bombay先生 什么
Are you all right Oh, yes.
你还好吗 是的
Uh, it's just that you brought me back to a memory of
你刚刚让我想起了
I think I was happiest as a lawyer when I was a young associate.
当我还是个年轻的合伙人的时候 我是个最快乐的律师
I hated doing all the grunt work,
我讨厌做繁琐的办公室事务
but there was all the promise of tomorrow.
但这是为将来打基础
Would you have dinner with me tonight, Tara
今晚一起吃饭好吗 Tara
Milton
Milton
Why don't you have it with me
为什么不和我一起吃饭呢
Why this one particular network
为什么是这个广播公♥司♥呢
Look, I know that all the networks pander,
我了解所有广播公♥司♥的伎俩
some to the liberal, some to the conservative,
自♥由♥党的 保守党的
but when a news organization goes as far as to actually promote a political agenda
但是当一个新闻机构在推动政♥治♥进程的话
Can I dial you back a second How do they do that
我能先问问吗 这是怎样办到的
Well, first, the broadcasts speak for themselves.
首先广播公♥司♥有自己的利益
Their CEO used to be the chief media operative for former republican presidents.
广播公♥司♥CEO曾利用传媒私下为 前共和党主席工作过
I object to his open mind, judge.
反对他的猜测 法官
Move to strike. Sustained.
请求删除刚才的谈话 有效
And then when I saw the documentary Outfoxed, it blew my mind.
当我看到Outfoxed 我惊呆了
剧集 | 波士顿法律(2004) | 导航列表