剧集 | 波士顿法律(2004) | 导航列表
losing his habeas arguments,
人身权的论据站不住脚
and failing on claims of constitutional violations.
违反宪法的断言也靠不住
Four different courts of appeal have reviewed
四个不同的上诉法庭审查了
and rejected each and every one of his arguments.
并驳回了每一条论据
Now is the time for this man to pay the penalty
现在 是时候让他接受
imposed on him fairly and legally.
公正合理的惩罚了
Now, a Texas jury has decided that Ezekiel Borns is a dangerous killer.
Texas的陪审团应该裁定 Ezekiel Borns是个危险的杀手
He has forfeited his right to live.
他没有继续生存的权利
Thank you.
谢谢
With all due respect, may it please the court.
冒昧说两句 但愿法庭容许
Good afternoon, my name is Alan Shore.
下午好 我叫Alan Shore
Mr. Shore, what are the new issues being raised here
Shore先生 你有什么新问题吗
The first issue before the court
我的第一个问题
concerns the absence of any African American jurors.
是此法庭缺少一个名非裔陪审员
That was previously argued and ruled on, counsel.
此问题已经提过并解决了 辩护律师
Yes, before the lower courts. This bench has never considered
那是在下级法♥院♥ 本庭从未考虑
We're not persuaded that the absence of a black juror
没有非裔陪审员
is in violation of due process.
并不违反任何法律程序
What's your next issue
你还有什么疑问
I would turn the court's attention to the fact that the grand jury
我希望庭上注意 指控Borns先生的大陪审团
which indicted Mr. Borns similarily was all white.
几乎都是白人
This raises equal protection laws
平等保护♥法♥律 .
That issue was never raised, and is therefore waived.
该问题未被提起 所以勿须讨论
Your honor, Texas law requires that the jury recommend death only in cases
法官大人 Texas法律认为 陪审团只能在认为被告可能
where they find that the defendant poses a threat of future dangerousness to society.
在未来对社会有一定威胁性时 才能建议执行死刑
We maintain this is unconstitutional.
我们认为这是违反宪法的
Juries are supposed to find elements of guilt and innocence
陪审团应该在排除合理疑问的基础上
based on facts beyond a reasonable doubt, not on the basis of perceived probabilities.
判定是否有罪 而不是基于自己的主观判断
Moreover, as a practical matter,
而且 事实上
since Ezekiel Borns will remain in prison for life,
既然Ezekiel Borns将在牢中度过余生
he couldn't possibly constitute a future threat to society
他不可能对社会造成任何危害
unless the law assumes prison breaks.
除非说 法庭认为他会越狱
Well, that's an interesting issue, counsel,
这个问题很有趣 辩护律师
but that also was never raised, and therefore, it is deemed waived.
不过 这个问题也并未举证 因为也可以省略讨论
Next.
还有嘛
May it please the court,
冒昧说句
Mr. Borns' trial lawyer has recently admitted he was ineffective counsel.
Borns的辩护律师 最近承认自己的工作不称职
He was abusing cocaine and alcohol during the trial
他曾在审讯期间服用可♥卡♥因♥和酗酒
Not legally inadequate. I believe if you examine the transcripts
并没有违反法律 我相信 如果你看过法庭记录
Mr. Shore, representation can always be better,
Shore先生 你的陈述很精彩
especially when we play Monday morning quarterback.
不过都是放马后炮
With all due respect,
请恕我直言
this lawyer never gave an opening statement.
该律师从未做过开庭陈述
He never questioned several of the prosecution's witnesses.
他从未盘问过检控官的证人
He failed to pursue a number of leads and important sentencing issues.
大量线索没调查 重要的宣判也没看
This court right here today
今天在这里 法庭发现
has recognized that many valid grounds for appeal were never raised.
那么多有效上诉论据都没有被举证
This court is satisfied that the representation was adequate.
法庭认为 双方的陈述都很令人满意
Is there anything else
还有什么问题
Yes, Mr. Borns may be innocent.
是的 Borns先生也许是无辜的
The jury disagreed,
陪审团并不这么认为
and legally, that issue has been settled.
而且 法律上 该问题已经解决了
The DNA evidence shows somebody else was there.
DNA证据显示 有其他人在现场
But it does not disprove that your client was also there.
但是并不能否认 被告也在现场
And your guy confessed, by the way.
而且 那家伙自己承认的
My client has an I.Q of 80. He was interrogated for 16 hours.
我的当事人智商才80 他被审问了16个小时
Coercion was never raised.
逼供没有被提出过
It was never raised because his lawyer was an inadequate hack,
没有被提出是因为 他的辩护律师是个不负责任的家伙
though the nine of you seem quite satisfied with his performance,
尽管你们9位似乎很满意他的表现
with all due respect.
请恕我冒昧
Mr. Shore, you came down here from Massachusetts
Shore先生 你是从Massachusetts来的
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
We in Texas have been living with this case for eight years.
在Texas 我们为这案子忙了8年
You've been living with it personally
是您亲自负责的嘛
May it please the court.
但愿法庭容许我这么问
You first met Mr. Borns when
你第一次见到Borns先生是什么时候
Yesterday.
昨天
And you are proposing to us that you know him
你是想告诉我们 你了解他
You know what I'd like to propose
你知道我想说什么嘛
I'd like to propose that you got a problem with the death penalty in general.
我想说的是 你们在衡量死刑方面 有很大的问题
Now, is that why you came here, sir
那么 这就是你来的原因
I am here, with all due respect, may it please the court,
我来这里 冒昧说这句 希望法庭容许
because I have a problem with a state executing a man with diminished capacity
是因为我看不惯一个 对智障人士执行死刑的州
who may very well be innocent.
而且那个人可能是无辜的
I'm particularly troubled, may it please the court,
我于心不安 冒昧说这句
with all due respect, that you don't have a problem with it.
希望法庭容许 你们似乎对此没有意见
You may not want to regard my client's innocence,
你们不愿承认我的当事人是无罪的
but you cannot possibly disregard the fact
但是你们不能够否认事实
that 117 wrongfully convicted people
在这个国家 有117个被错判的人
have been saved from execution in this country, 117.
被免于了执行死刑 117个人
The system is hardly foolproof.
死刑的体制一点都不牢固
And Texas, this state, is responsible for a full third of all executions in America.
而Texas州的死刑案占了全美1/3
How can that be
为什么会这样
The criminals are just somehow worse here
这的罪犯更恶劣吗
Last year, you accounted for fully half of the nation's executions,
去年 全国的死刑 你们占了一半
50% from one state.
1个州就占了一半
You cannot disregard the possibility, the possibility that something's up in Texas.
你不能否认这个可能 那就是 Texas州有麻烦了
I would urge you to confine your remarks to your client,
我劝你把这套论调跟你的当事人说
and not the good state of Texas.
而不是对善良的Texas州人♥民♥
Zeke Borns never had a chance.
Zeke Borns 从没得到机会
He was rounded up as a teenager,
他还是孩子时就被逮捕
thrown in a cell while he was still doped up on drugs,
在他因嗑药而昏迷时被关进监狱
browbeaten and interrogated until his I.Q of 80 was overcome.
饱受恫吓和审讯 直到被告完全崩溃
He confessed to a crime he had no memory of,
他认罪 但他并不记得
still has no memory of,
至今仍是
for which there is no evidence,
没有犯罪证据
other than two witnesses who saw him pumping gas around the time of the murder.
除了两个证人 在案发期间 看到他曾去加过油
He was given a coked-up lawyer who admittedly did nothing.
他被指派给一个嗜酒的律师 而他毫无作为
I'm now before nine presumably intelligent people in the justice business
在九个从事公正事业 显然智力超凡的各位面前
who have the benefit of knowing all of this.
你们有权了解这些事
Add to that, you know DNA places somebody else at the scene,
再者 你们知道DNA表明 有其他人到过现场
and you're indifferent
你们却漠不关心
You don't care
无动于衷
Whether you believe in my client's innocence, and I'll assume
不管你们是否相信 我的当事人是无罪的 我认定
With all due respect, may it please the court, that you don't.
恕我直言 望法庭许可 你们不能
You cannot be sure of his guilt.
也无法确信他是有罪的
You simply cannot.
显而易见
And failing that, how can you kill him
既然如此 又如何能判他的罪
How can you kill him
凭什么裁定他死刑
And I would sincerely, sincerely,
所以我非常 非常 非常诚挚的
sincerely hope that you don't penalize my client
希望你们不会处罚我的当事人
simply because his lawyers happen to be from Massachusetts.
特别是不要因为 他的律师来自Massachusetts
The home of the New England patriots,
新英格兰爱国者队的家乡
who could kick ass over any football team you've got in the good state of Texas,
他们可以踢败Texas的任何一支球队
May it please the court.
希望法庭容许
I am so sorry.
我很抱歉
No, you don't have to apologize.
不 你不需要道歉
They gave you nothing.
他们不给你机会
You had no choice but to go with your passion.
你别无选择 只能跟着感觉来
Could have left out the slight on Texas football, but
蔑视Texas球队那段不该说 可是
You were strong, Alan.
你很强势 Alan
And maybe you reached them.
也许 你能敲醒他们
The court hasn't ruled yet.
陪审团还没裁决
Six hours before, he goes to Huntsville.
要提前六小时去Huntsville
That's the law. What's in Huntsville, bleachers
这是法律规定的 Huntsville有什么 露天看台
The death house. They put me in the walls unit.
行刑的地方 把我关在封闭的房♥间里
Why move him if there's still a chance
还没有定论 为什么要送他去
Jerry Jerry No cell phones in here.
这里不能打电♥话♥
Just now
刚才
They turned us down.
我们输了
剧集 | 波士顿法律(2004) | 导航列表