It was some fellow I met in a rented office.
给我描述一下他
Describe him for me?
我做不到
Well I can't.
这么说是什么意思
Well what I mean is,
我从来没见过这家伙
I never saw the fellow.
他故意不让我看到
He didn't mean me to.
他一直拿灯在我眼前闪来闪去
He kept a light shining in my eyes all the time.
真的是这样 这是在什么时候?
Indeed. When was this?
14号♥
The 14th.
他付钱
He paid all right.
要我去和他联♥系♥
He told me I was to be contacted and I was,
我就去见他了
to meet him.
他怎么了
What happened to him?
我可不想惹上什么麻烦
I don't want any trouble.
为这我才来找你的
That's why I come to you.
你把他带到哪去了?
Where did you take him?
公爵巷的一间房♥子
A house in Duke's Alley.
那可是个好地方
It's a good place.
好?
Good?
从来没出过什么问题 真是个好地方
Well, never had any problems there, good place.
他到底怎么了?
What happened to him?
福尔摩斯
Holmes!
对不起我没想…
I'm sorry I didn't...
谢谢你 盖德格瑞夫先生 给你添麻烦了
Thank you, Mr. Gedgrave, for your trouble.
随时恭候 福尔摩斯先生 随时
Anytime, Mr. Holmes, anytime.
您真慷慨 先生
Generous of you, sir, generous.
我需要一个罗哲海斯的向导
I will need a guide in Rotherhithe.
要是你要去那的话 您可是找对人了
If you want the best places, I'm your man.
不用找别人了
Look no further.
明天早上
Tomorrow morning,
十点半怎么样?
10:30?
好的
Done.
您去红拖鞋俱乐部
The Red Slipper Club.
找叫卡特的
Ask for Carter,
弗兰克 卡特
Frank Carter.
就是你吧 盖德格瑞夫先生
Will that be you, Mr. Gedgrave?
哈德森太太
Mrs. Hudson,
华生医生可能会留下来吃晚饭
Dr. Watson may be staying for dinner.
华生
Now Watson.
卡尔弗顿 史密斯要把
Culverton Smith means to
萨维奇夫人和她的孩子
throw Mrs. Savage and her children
都从萨摩雷庄园赶出去
out of Somerleigh House.
他凭什么那么做?
How is he able to do that?
根据一个没有修改的老遗嘱
The house is entailed to him an old will,
庄园限定由他来继承
which has never been revised.
那就有趣了
Well that is interesting.
你知道这意味着什么?
You know what this means?
意味着卡尔弗顿 史密斯
It means that Culverton Smith had a motive
有了除掉他表弟的动机
for doing away with his cousin.
萨维奇死了
Savage is dead,
死于一种疾病 偏偏卡尔弗顿 史密斯
killed by a disease in which Culverton Smith
是研究该疾病公认的专家
was the acknowledged expert.
不 不 不
No, no, no, no, no, no.
你是故意装作没有理解我吧?
Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand me?
你只不过是指出了一个 值得注意的巧合
You have pointed out a remarkable coincidence,
仅此而已
that is all.
不能做出任何的推论
No inferences can be drawn from it.
我们不能容许萨维奇夫人
We cannot allow Mrs. Savage
被那家伙扫地出门
to be thrown into the street by this fellow.
我们也无能为力
We may have to.
租办公室的人一定就是卡尔弗顿 史密斯
It must have been Culverton Smith who rented the office.
可这证明不了什么
I dare say but it proves nothing.
肯定有办法阻止他的 福尔摩斯 肯定有
There must be a way of stopping him, Holmes, surely.
我越来越怀疑这一点了
Oh, I doubt it more and more.
如果你认为他有罪
Suppose you were convinced of his guilt.
你会怎么做呢?
What would you do then?
你知道我的方法的
You know my methods,
我会想办法进到庄园里去
I would gain entry to the house.
我该这么去做
Then that's what I shall do.
你不一定非得来的
You don't have to come.
然而我还是得来
Nevertheless, I shall.
你的脑袋已经转过去了
You already had your head turned.
我得保证 你的脖子不会跟着折断
I must make sure you don't get your neck broken as well.
当可怜的萨维奇相信
Once poor Savage had been convinced
鸦♥片♥会为他打开
that opium would open the door
诗歌♥艺术的神秘大门
to the mysteries of the poetic craft,
他就落入了卡尔弗顿 史密斯的股掌中
Culverton Smith would have had him in his power,
是吧?
wouldn't he?
他有意识地利用萨维奇的负罪感
He traded on Savage's sense of guilt.
他知道
He knew that Savage
萨维奇会在远离萨摩雷的地方
would want to continue experimenting with the drug
继续吸食鸦♥片♥
far away from Somerleigh.
华生 你必须要知道
What you have to face, Watson,
表面看来萨维奇是在罗哲海斯
is that Savage's catching the disease in Rotherhithe
染上这种病的
is entirely plausible,
巧的是
The coincidence,
史密斯是这种病方面的专家
that Smith's expertise in the matter is exactly that,
一个巧合
a coincidence.
你不能凭这么个巧合就判他绞刑
You can't hang a man on coincidence.
夫人
Ma'am,
夫人
ma'am.
我们有理由相信
We have reason to believe that,
事实上
well as a matter of fact
您侵入了私人领地
you are trespassing.
警官
Sergeant,
我相信你我都清楚
I'm sure you're as aware as I am
这个国家关于侵入私人领地的法律
the laws of trespass in this country
是最古怪 甚至离谱的
are most curious not to say odd.
我应该知道
I should know.
数百英亩的土地
I have responsibility for hundreds of acres
从我手里被人以貌似合法的手段骗走
which are about to be stolen from me
我有责任
through legal trickery,
就是那个人骗走了土地
by that man,
这个人像寄生虫一样
a man who preyed on my husband
掠夺着我的丈夫
like some bloated parasite,
腐蚀他 把他推向死亡
corrupted him and drove him to his death.
而现在
And now,
他却不和那个可怜的寡妇
now he will not speak to the woman
说一句话
he has widowed.
他当然不会的
Of course he won't,
他知道他这一边根本就没有正义
he knows he has no justice on his side.
只有冷血的形式合法
Merely cold legality.
本森
Benson,
萨维奇夫人应该回到庄园
Mrs. Savage should now return to Somerleigh House.
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
夫人 我向你保证
Ma'am, you have my assurance,
我会追着卡尔弗顿 史密斯不放的
I will pursue Culverton Smith.
我是不会停止的
I will not rest
除非他宣布放弃这个要毁灭你的计划
until he's renounced his plans to ruin you.
福尔摩斯先生呢?
And Mr Holmes?
我明白了
I see.
我不怪他
I do not blame him.
他只不过是和其他人看法一样
He only sees it as the world sees it,
看到了不幸
unfortunate and cold hearted
或许还有史密斯先生的冷心肠
on Mr. Smith's part perhaps.
但却不能给谁加罪
But no case to answer,
不能给谁加罪
no case to answer.
史密斯
Smith!
史密斯
Smith!
这仅仅是一个巧合么
It is a singular coincidence, is it not,
你能因一个人的死而继承这么多财产
剧集 | 福尔摩斯历险记(1984) | 导航列表