当我学会如何调查研究后我的策略就改变了
So how my strategy changed was I learned how to research.
我学会了如何处理这一些事情 但我也学会了其他东西
I learned how to do those types of things. But the other thing I also learned how to do
伊芙琳你刚刚也提到了 这一点也非常重要
and Evelyn you touched upon this. This is so very important.
学会读懂人心
Learning how to read people.
或许你拥有最丰富的知识
You can have all the knowledge in the world,
但是如果对方根本不想谈判
but if the person across from you does not want to negotiate
或者你认为他们根本不想谈判 你不了解他们的谈判风格
or you don't think they want to negotiate, or you don't know their negotiation style,
那这段对话你无从下手
you may go nowhere in that conversation.
关于谈判的另一重要点是
So another really important part of that negotiation is
试着搞清对方的谈判风格 老实来说
trying to figure out a person's negotiation style. It's not that difficult
这其实不难 在我职业生涯早期我就意识到这一点
to be honest with you. One of the things I had to learn early on in my career
因为当我进入谈判阶段 我所在的领域已经没多少女性了
because when I started negotiating there was not that many women in my field.
不仅仅有色人种女性不多 是女性都不多了
So it was non't even women of color, it was just women.
所以我得学习如何自己掌控局面
And I had to learn to hold my own
大多数时候是我带领男性 尤其是早期阶段
with all these men that in a lot of times I was leading, especially early in my career.
我领导23 24个男性
I was 23, 24 leading men that were,
我在公♥司♥工作了大概20 30 40年甚至更久
had been in corporate careers for 20, 30, 40 years if not more.
所以那是我学到的第一课 因为我记得
So that was my first lesson because I remember,
从文化角度举个例子
just from a cultural type of perspective,
一个来自阿♥拉♥巴马州的男人有一天称呼我为漂亮小妞
a gentleman from Alabama called me Sug one day.
我知道 文化角度上看 他无意冒犯
Now I knew culturally that he wasn't trying to be offensive
我们私下里也认识
and I also knew him personally,
但同时我明白 他这么叫我会影响其他人看我的眼光
but I also knew that that could impact how other people looked at me.
当你谈到价值时 价值不是美元 有固定的价值
And when you talk about value that's not a dollar sign value at that point in time.
虽然之后价值可能转化成金钱
Although it could translate into it at a later point.
于是我不得不去和我的经理说 我知道他不是故意这么讲
I had to go to my manager and say, I know he doesn't mean harm by this,
但这样做可能会造成误会
but he could be creating harm
因为我是一名女性 女性谈判者
based on the fact that I'm a woman. And I'm a woman, a female negotiator.
所以我从文化价值观和女性价值观角度
So one of the things that I had to learn from a cultural and just the value as a woman,
作为一名女性谈判者 学会的是
was my job was a negotiator.
如果我不能为自己的薪水做主 那我同未来的雇主还有什么好谈的呢
If I could not negotiate my salary, what was I saying to my potential employer?
要是一下子包揽一大堆事那压力更大
So it was even more stressful to be able to put a package together.
事实上我从男性身上学到很多
A couple of things that I learned, I actually learned a lot from men.
我有许多男性导师
I had a lot of male mentors.
很大程度上这是因为在这个领域只有男性
Mostly because of the fact that there was no one else again in that space
女性不多 而她们绝不是有色人种 很少
that were women. And they were definitely not women of color, very seldom.
我很少遇到有色女性
Very seldom did I ever run into a woman of color.
所以我不得不向外界寻求帮助
So I had to lean outside of that space
我发现其他女性 有色人种女性在做着不同的事情
to actually find women and women of color who were doing something different
她们可以教给我不同的事情 告诉我她们的故事
and that they could teach me and they could give me a voice.
所以导师制度对我来说很重要
So mentorship was huge for me.
要是没有这一帮助
Without that mentorship,
我不会意识到作为一名拉丁裔女性自己的价值
I would not have learned as a woman and as a Latina what my value was.
我借助的另一点
Then the other thing I did lean on
是一种方法 我认真观察男性
as far as my approach was concerned, was I watched men.
我观察他们的行为
And I watched how they conducted themselves.
当说到了解自我价值时
When you talk about learning your value,
多数时候我是在酒吧喝酒的时候了解到的
a lot of times where I learned were at bars at happy hours.
第一点
So number one,
有人告诉我 一个女人不该和男人一起去酒吧喝酒
I was taught you should not be a woman going to a bar at happy hour with all these men.
所以我是冒险去的 但我要说那里的确能学到点东西
I had to take a risk at that time in my career to say there's something going on there.
我会去那点上一两杯啤酒
And so I would go and have a beer or two.
然后找人聊天 因为这也是一种谈判策略
And have these conversations because again, negotiation strategy.
人们卸下伪装的时刻是不同的 男人们通常在酒吧比较放松
People let their guard down at different points and it was usually at the bar for men.
另一点是我在美国公♥司♥学到的
The other thing that I had to learn as far as what was going on corporate America at the time?
那就是高尔夫球场也是个重要地方
Things were happening on the golf course.
我不玩高尔夫 其他活动也不参与 我们当时没有钱
I didn't play golf. We played no activities. We had no money for it.
所以我们去公共高尔夫球场上课 我的水平很糟糕
So, I went and I took golf lessons at the public golf course. I was horrible.
我第一次参加公♥司♥的高尔夫社团时就告诉他们 我打得很烂
The first time I joined the company golf league and I would tell them, I'm horrible.
我第一次击球就没击中 非常丢脸
The first time that I went up to hit the ball, I missed it. And I missed it horribly.
但我告诉所有人 我说过我打得很烂
But I told everyone. I said I told you I was not good at golf.
至少大家知道我会去打高尔夫 但我要去的是高尔夫球场
At least people knew I was going to play golf, but I was going to be on that golf course.
我知道那个时候 特别是我住在匹兹堡的那段时间
And I knew at the time that especially when I was living in Pittsburg,
社区里有色人种女性很少
there really was not that many women of color in the community,
在我供职的美国公♥司♥里那就更少了 我成为有色女性代表
much less in corporate America that I was doing these things, that I was representing,
所以我对自己的言行非常小心
so I had to be careful of my actions. I had to be careful of my words.
但是当涉及薪酬时
But when that did translate into salary,
我处在一个更有利的地位
I was at a stronger position
因为大家知道我愿意去做这些事
because people knew that I was willing to do these things
我愿意去了解自己的价值
to understand what my value was.
因为那一刻我不会把我自己和其他女性比较
Because at that point I wasn't comparing myself to other women
我绝对不会和其他有色女性比较 因为根本就没人让我参考
and I definitely wasn't comparing myself to women of color because they weren't there.
我是参照男性来知道自己要做什么 自己的价值
I was learning what to do and what my value was compared to a guy,
参照白人男性
compared to a White man.
所以这对于我的谈判职业生涯很关键
And so that was huge for me as far as my career in negotiation was concerned.
今天在昆西街和锡兰街有一场枪击事件
We had a shooting today at Quincy and Ceylon Street.
一名男性 一个骑着滑板车的孩子
It was a guy on a -- a kid on a scooter.
滑板车找到了
The scooter's been recovered,
但嫌疑犯还没抓到
but the suspect's still outstanding.
一人拿一份 我已经打印出来了
Pull it up, it's on the brick, but I printed out
15份复印件 你们需要的话可以拿一份
like 15 copies so you guys can grab one if you need to.
看看你们的邮箱 我已经发过去了
Check your emails. It's in there.
另外 我们会一直留意他
Otherwise, we'll be on the lookout for him.
晚上七点 201 我说201是什么来着
And 7 p.m., the 201 -- what did I say 201 was?
霍根和莱西 你们两个
Hogan and Lahey. You guys do
今天麦迪逊公园有格洛斯特对波士顿拉丁的球赛
the Gloucester versus Boston Latin game up at Madison Park.
去那看看 或者晚上7点开车四处转转
Go up there. A couple code 19s. Or just drive around at 7 p.m., take a look
如果需要加强警力再告诉我们
and let us know if anything needs attention up there.
我关心的是 本委员会设立了先例
I remain concerned about the precedent
过去的做法是批准这样一项请求
establishing past practice of this committee to approve such a request as this
即允许增加学校入学人数
of allowing the increase in enrollment for a school,
而我们知道如今这个教学楼容量
when we know that the current physical capacity of their building
远远容不下我们预计的人数
is not equal to what we are proposing going to.
从现在起 我们得划出一到两年的时间
And that we're setting ourself up for a year or two years from now,
学校方面就有正当理由来找我们 这么跟我们说
the school rightfully coming back to us and saying,
“我们想要扩建
'we expect a bigger facility,
你们承诺我们会有更大的场所”
'you told us we were going to have a bigger facility'.
这样子
And this is something that
委员会一直以来都是这样做的
this committee has perpetually done time after time.
学校方面没什么错
This is no reflection on the school.
但我担心我们会制♥造♥矛盾
But I'm concerned we're setting up a conflict
从现在起一到两年
a year or two from now
当你们想要提升到已批准招生人数
when you're trying to expand to your approved enrollment level
尤其是大家对学校要求很多的时候 因为
particularly when there's a lot of demand for your school because you're doing
你们确实对困难的孩子们给予了很多帮助
really good things there with some youth who are very challenged.
你们的工作值得称赞
You're doing outstanding work.
但是 除非我听到其他建议
And yet, unless I hear otherwise,
现在我给出的答案是暂且搁置 但不是停止扩建场所
the answer I have here was about suspension, but was not yet about facilities.
这是一项长♥期♥计划 我们要听取主管人的意见
This is a long setup to then hear from the Superintendent on
看看该区对于
where the District stands
我们要扩建的做法是什么态度
about what we will do for facilities
因为我是十分关注批准这项修正案的
because I remain deeply concerned about approving this amendment.
我们面临挑战 我们这么做是限于州检
I recognize we're in a challenge. We're doing this because of the State review.
一年后会出现问题
And yet we're setting up a problem a year from now.
我认为已经有证据表明 学校已经远远超过了
I believe there was testimony last time that the school is already well in excess of its
其可容纳学生数 所以我们面临的一大问题是
approved enrollment and so part of what is in front of us right now
一个合适的 扩大学校规模的机会
is an opportunity to right size the maximum enrollment of the school
这样就可以计算超额的入学人数
that would capture what the excess enrollment will be.
所以那不是理由
So that's not an excuse and that's not
这不是问题的答案 相反我认为
a total answer for what your question is, but I think
考虑到这种情况 我们现在使用的大楼
just to give that context, we are serving through the current building,
目前的设备 学生数量是远远超过配额的
or the current facility, students in excess of what our current allotment is.
所以需要再建一幢楼
So there is a need for an additional building
需要额外的空间 我不想假设一幢楼
or additional space. I don't want to presuppose a building.
在这种情况下 我觉得对街区未来发展是有利的
And within that context I think that might be helpful for the District to further
请详细说明上次会议中对设施的评价
elaborate on its own comments on the facilities from the last meeting.
主席先生 我想发表意见 以下若有错误还请指正
But Mr. Chair, correct me if I'm wrong. We are not just approving
我们不仅是在批准这个章程 增加入学人数
for the Charter, for the enrollment to go up to what the existing enrollment is right now,
我们所做的不只是扩大学校规模
we're going beyond that which would allow the school to expand
扩建到2.0版本 不是吗 所以这是一项崭新的计划
particularly in the 2.0, right? So this is a kind of a newer program.
电影精选列表