很多士兵失去了 腿 和手臂
Many of the soldiers had lost a leg or an arm or sometimes both legs and arms.
这些人被送到沃尔特里德 接受人造假肢
Those men were sent to Walter Reed to receive artificial limbs and appendages.
我遇到过一个病人
I had a patient
他给妻子写信说 他失去了一条腿
who wrote a letter to his wife to tell her that he had lost his leg.
他担心当他回家时
He was worried that she wouldn't want him
他的妻子会不接受他
when he came home.
但他的妻子写信告诉他
But his wife wrote to him and told him
只要他活着 她别无所求
that she was just so happy that he was alive.
他哭了 我也哭了
He cried and I cried too.
离这里不远的地方
The Street right down a few houses away from me
有一个安卓·比焦广场
was named Andrew Biggio Square
那是我的名字
and as I was introduced, that's my name.
但并不是以我的名字命名的 而是我叔叔
Except that Square was not named after me. It was named after my uncle
他在第二次世界大战中 不幸牺牲
who was killed in action in World War II.
他是第一代安卓·比焦
The first Andrew Biggio.
当时我还是个孩子 我对这些一无所知
When I was a kid I didn't know anything about it.
我告诉其他玩伴 我父母告诉我的话
I told the other kids just what my parents told me
那是以我叔叔的名字命名的
that it was named after my uncle.
直到我第一次准备去伊♥拉♥克♥
It wasn't until I was getting ready to go to my first tour in Iraq...
我看着街角的标志写着安卓·比焦广场
I was looking at that Street sign saying Andrew Biggio Square
我意识到我是
and it was a weird feeling knowing that
第二代参加战争的安卓·比焦
I was the...
而第一代安卓·比焦没能从战场回来
I'm the next Andrew Biggio to go to war
这让我有种奇怪的感觉
and the first Andrew Biggio went to war and didn't come back, so...
我在伊♥拉♥克♥战争中幸存了 也在阿富汗幸存后
I survived Iraq. I survived a tour in Afghanistan
我回到家 又盯着那个路牌
and I came home and I was staring at that Street sign again
我想知道 1944年死于意大利小山上的叔叔
and I said I got to find out what happened to that first Andrew Biggio
发生了什么事
on that hill in Italy in 1944.
我去了祖母家
I went to my grandmother's house.
问她是否还有二战中 安卓写给她的信件
I asked her if she still had Andrew's letters that he wrote home from World War II.
她说有
She said she did.
我上楼打开鞋盒
I went upstairs.
拿起那些信 仔细阅读
I pulled the shoebox out of letters and I started reading them.
我开始从他的团里 找当时与他并肩作战的人
I started to track down men from his company that were with him.
我找到了很多人 从他的战友到一些老兵
It went from men from his company to different types of Veterans
最后我在这支步♥枪♥上 刻下了整场战斗
and I ended up covering almost the whole war on the rifle
包括部队 地点 战役
as far as divisions, places, battles.
我是怎么拿到这支步♥枪♥的
How did I get the rifle?
我看了安卓的信
I go through Andrew's letters
我知道 他很喜欢射击M1加仑枪
and I read on how much he enjoyed to shoot the M1 Garand.
我说 我要买♥♥一把M1步♥枪♥
I said I'm going to buy an M1.
在我们的家族历史里
We should have this in our family history,
应该一直有它
we should have it forever.
他死的时候 带着这种步♥枪♥
He died carrying this kind of a rifle.
我买♥♥了这支M1步♥枪♥
I purchased the M1.
我三十岁了 还在家里的客厅
and I'm in my house and I'm aiming in at the wall and
瞄准墙壁扮演着军人
I'm playing Army man again at 30 years old in my living room.
我曾想过 我该把它给谁
But I said, who do I bring this to?
我不能给我的家人看
I can't show my family.
他们能理解吗 他们不是退伍军人
Would they really understand? They're not Veterans.
枪很好 然后呢
It's great, but now what?
我买♥♥了枪 现在却不知该怎么办
I bought the rifle, now what?
我怎么填补 第一代安卓·比焦的故事
How do I fit the puzzle piece together on what happened to that first Andrew Biggio?
我想到了我隔壁的邻居 乔
So I thought about my neighbor. My next door neighbor, Joe.
他参加过冲绳岛战役
He had fought in the Battle of Okinawa
我一直觉得 他是个爱发牢骚的混♥蛋♥
and was a grouchy prick to me my whole life.
每次我的球掉在他家后院 我都能听到他的抱怨声
Anytime a foul ball would land in his backyard I'd hear an earful from,
我从海上集中训练营毕业之前
he wouldn't crack a smile to me
他从没对我笑过
until I graduated Marine Corp Boot camp.
后来我开始看到 他在院子里朝我挥手
Then I started to see him wave to me from his yard.
我们的关系开始变了
The relationship became different.
所以我想 我要把步♥枪♥给乔看
So I said I'm going to go show this rifle to Joe.
我到了他家 推开门
I went to his house, opened the door
见他坐在轮椅上 他当时92岁了
and he's sitting in the wheelchair. He was 92 at the time.
我说 嘿 看我带了什么
And I said hey, check what I bought.
我把子弹取出 当时枪上还没有这些的签名
I placed the rifle which was empty, not covered in signatures like it is now,
我把步♥枪♥放在他怀里
I put the rifle into his arms.
他坐在轮椅上
He was in his recliner.
因为年龄和疾病
His legs had atrophited
他多年没有走路 腿已经萎缩的不成样子
to nothing after years of not being able to walk at his age and illness,
可他突然精神了
and he brightened up.
就像有一股能量 在他身体里爆发
It was like a burst of energy soared through his body.
他在房♥间里挥舞着步♥枪♥
He started waving the rifle around the room,
笑得像个18岁的小伙子
smiling like he was 18 years old again.
我意识到 天呐 我拿来的步♥枪♥如此特别
I said holy crap, I am holding something special.
他说 打开最上层的抽屉
He said go into his top drawer.
我现在想把这些给你
I want you to have these now.
我打开了抽屉 拿出一个天鹅绒皇冠皇家包
I went into his top drawer, I pulled out a velvet Crown Royal bag.
里面有日本人的金牙
Inside of it were Japanese gold teeth.
他说 我想把这些都给你
He said, I want you to have these now.
我不是要在这里 为战争
Now, I'm not sitting here justifying war
或为1940年的事辩护
or what happened in the 1940s, but
但是 我知道为什么他爱发牢骚了
I figured out this is why this man was a grouch.
我终于明白 是什么困扰了这个男人
I finally understand what was bothering this man my whole life
他所见到的 他所经历的
and what he had seen and what he had went through.
我不仅仅是 想随便听听战争的故事
I wanted to, this was more than just oh my God, let me hear a war story.
他开始给我一些建议
He began to pass on the advice,
关于如何在战斗后 长久顺利生活的建议
life advice and suggestions on how to live a long successful life after combat.
当我和他谈话时
I was 28
我那时28岁 他92岁
when I had this conversation with him and he was 92.
我说 我想永远记住此刻 我让乔在枪上签字
I said, I want to remember this forever. I said Joe sign the rifle.
他是第一个在枪上签名的人
He was the first signature on it.
我离开他家
I left his house
我说我要尽力
and I said I'm going to go around
多找一些二战老兵签名
and get as many World War II Veteran signatures as possible.
我希望给年轻的退伍军人
I want to be able to pass on to the younger Veterans
告诉他们 如何继续顺利生活
how to live a long successful life,
如何拥有一份事业 一份工作的建议
to have a career, have a job
在这些老兵经历了冲绳 硫磺岛 诺曼底
If these men could do it,
缅♥甸♥ 法国 比利时 德国 塞班岛 塔拉瓦岛 提宁岛的那些战争之后
what they saw in Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Normandy, Burma,
如果他们能继续生活
France, Belgium, Germany, Saipan, Tarawa, Tinian,
我们这代人也能做到
that our generation could do it too.
这就是这支步♥枪♥的故事
And that is the story of the rifle.
我们从工厂出来
We come out of the factory,
拉马迪的老兵们
and for you Ramadi vets,
我们在密歇根公路上
we're out on Route Michigan
截获了两个疑似车载爆♥炸♥装置
and we stop two possible VBEDs.
当时 他们在去密歇根的路上
They're both coming down Michigan to the point that we have
开的好像是悍马
I believe two Humvees.
我们停了车
We stop.
所有人都下车拿枪 开始警戒
Everyone dismounts to get more guns down range to back off the vehicles.
而在450米到600米之外
While that happened about 450 to 600 meters out
那是 拉马迪服役军人住的白色公♥寓♥
I look at what would be known as the White Apartments for anybody that served in Ramadi.
有三个军人 是年长的男性
There's three military aged males or...
因为我和这些基♥地♥组♥织♥的成员相比 算是老人了
At that time because I'm old in comparison to these new kids, Al-Qaeda,
他们在屋顶上 监视着我们
on a roof and they're tactically observing us.
然后 我开了枪
So I go to take the shot
我想 那是在拉马迪的白天
and then its Ramadi, it's the middle of the day.
死亡稀松平常
Everyone's getting sniped, everyone's getting killed.
我想转身 告诉中尉
I'm gonna turn and tell the Lieutenant
我开枪 是为了让他们觉得不是炮火
I'm making the shot so guys don't think its incoming fire.
而这整件事 都是个陷阱
When I go to take the shot, the whole thing was a setup.
那三个军人中 有位狙击手
It was a sniper from my three.
所以在我转身 告诉中尉前的最后一秒
So I turned at the last second before I took the shot to tell the Lieutenant.
子弹穿过了 我的全息瞄准镜
The round actually blew through my holographic sight
打进了我的胸膛
and into the side of my chest.
那时 我还毫不知情
But I didn't know that at the time.
我说 我中弹了
So, I said I'm hit.
我上了悍马
I get in the Humvee
我说我没事
and then I said no, I said I'm good.
电影精选列表