So we have a couple thousand years around 10,000, 15,000 years ago
波士顿完全处在水下 然后又浮出了水面
where Boston was under water completely. And then it bounced back up above water.
但是在那段时间里 它积攒了大量的黏土
But during that time it laid a huge deposit of clay
也就是波士顿蓝色黏土 各个建筑工地都能看到它
and that's the Boston blue clay. And you see it in construction sites all over the place.
我们发现黏土可能被人挖出来过
We found clay that was then dug up by somebody
在1800年代末 1900年代初 把它用来衬砌
probably in the late 1800s, early 1900s and they used it to line something,
我们不确定是砌什么 蓄水池 储水器之类的东西
we're not even sure what it is. A cistern, a water collection, something like that.
他们挖出了黏土 然后把黏土中所有的贝壳拔出
And they dug up the clay and they pulled out all of these shells in the clay still.
它们被卡在挖出来的黏土中
These were stuck in the clay from where they dug it out.
这些实际上是在洪水泛滥期间
So these are actually clams that were living in Boston
生活在波士顿的蛤蜊 它们的历史已有11000到15000年
when it was flooded that are between 11,000 and 15,000 years old.
就像史前蛤蜊 他们又厚又大
So these are like prehistoric clams. They're really thick. They're huge.
看到这些11000年前的蛤蜊被卡在黏土中 真的很有意思
And it's just really kind of fun to see them from 11,000 years ago stuck in the clay,
扇贝 两块软的蛤蜊
scallop in two soft shell clams.
我觉得它们真的很酷 从根本上说 它们是化石
I just think they're really cool to find. Basically they're fossils.
考古时找不到很多化石 所以我们不研究恐龙
We don't get to find a lot of fossils in archeology so we don't do dinosaurs,
但偶尔找到一次化石真的很不错
but it's nice to happen every once in a while.
在这块沉积物中 我们还有1700年代的标本 比如这个
In that deposit we also have artifacts from the 1700s, like this
1800年代的标本 比如这块玻璃
1800s, like this glass.
还有15000年历史的蛤蜊
And 15,000 year old clams.
不典型 但很有趣
Not very typical, but it's interesting.
在城市承包方面
Do minority and women owned businesses face any barriers
少数族裔和妇女拥有的企业是否面临任何障碍
when it comes to city contracting?
差异研究旨在以多种不同方式评估该问题
The disparity study is designed to assess that question in a number of different ways.
首先 最核心的是 我们将研究少数族裔和女性拥有的企业
So first, at it's core, we'll look at the degree to which minority and women owned businesses
参与城市承包合同的程度 及其完成此项工作的能力
participate in city contracts relative to their availability for that work.
我接下来就会解释这些术语
I'll unpack those terms in just a few minutes.
我们还将提供对本地市场的全面分♥析♥
We'll also provide a comprehensive analysis of the local marketplace to help understand
以帮助了解少数族裔和女性拥有的企业
whether minorities, women and minority and women own businesses
在波士顿地区是否面临任何工作障碍
face any barriers working in the Boston region,
这些障碍是否会不利于城市承包
and whether any of those barriers lead to less success with city contracting in particular.
我们还将全面审查
We'll also provide a comprehensive review
波士顿颁布的承包政策和项目措施
of the contracting policies and program measures that the city uses
以帮助定位可能无意间导致小企业 少数族裔和女性拥有企业
to help identify any policies or practices that might be inadvertently
难以成功竞争的城市承包合同的
making it more difficult for small businesses and minority and women owned businesses
任何政策或做法
to compete successfully for city contracts.
然后 我们还将就 为了鼓励少数族裔和女性拥有企业的参与
Then we'll also provide a great deal of insight and recommendations
波士顿该如何完善其计划
around how the City can refine
以及未来可以考虑使用哪些计划
the programs it uses to encourage minority and women owned businesses' participation
提供大量见解和建议
and what programs it can consider using in the future.
仔细说一下这部分
Educate me a little bit about this.
差异研究 我在这一行30年了
Disparity studies. I've been in this business in my industry for the past 30 years.
我遇到了各种困难
I have encountered all kind of difficulties
经过30年的经营 我还是一个小型承包商
and I'm still a small contractor after 30 years in business.
当您在说差异研究的时候
When you say disparity study,
研究 也就说明这件事情仍是不确定的
meaning a study that is a doubt.
差异是存在的 这件事还需要怀疑吗
Is there a doubt that this exists?
因为这30年来 我一直很难达成承包合同
Because I find it in this 30 years the difficulty in contracts for me to achieve all years in the study.
我认为这件事情不存在疑问
I don't think there should be a kind of a doubt.
也许我们是在寻找证据
Maybe we're looking for proof.
我不久前刚刚经历过
But I been part of it and not too long ago,
一个与房♥产合同 我是其中一个少数族裔承包商
I was a minority in a contract, a State contract with housing.
我是三♥级♥转包商
I was a third tier subcontract
仅仅是为了满足关于少数族裔的法定人数限制
just so I can fill the minority quorums,
一家大公♥司♥ 比方说怀特公♥司♥ 就是为此才聘请我
but there is a major company, let's say White right in front of me to hire me just for that.
难道就因为这个我不能成为总承包商吗
Is that something why wouldn't I be directly to the GC?
为什么我只能是二级或三♥级♥转包商
Why do I have to be second and third tier?
有的时候我们被雇佣只是因为我们是特殊群体
So we know that thing happens where connections are made to just use us for the particular.
如果我偏题了
I'm sorry if I'm out of the equation
或者超出了我们的讨论范围 我很抱歉
or I'm getting out of the point that we're talking.
但在过去三十年里
But for the past 30 years,
我可以感受到 如果没有这些限制
I can feel it... If the dollar is taken green,
所有的承包商资格 我都达不到
I'm suddenly all the qualifications... I can't meet them.
通常情况 就像我和格雷格所说的那样
Usually like I was speaking here to Greg,
我做不了2000万 1000万 甚至200万的项目
I cannot do a 20 or let's say $10 million, let's say $2 million project.
但是我有10万 12万 有时15万 20万美元的项目
But I have 10, 12, sometimes 15, $200,000 projects.
我可以做20个 甚至200个这种小项目 但是大项目不行
I can do 20, as many as 200, but at one
所以 你看
then so really you'll see that
我为什么只能做这些20万到30万的小项目
what is there that is something to keep us or keep me still on that $200-300,000,
不平等体现在这里
but where the dollar is greener. So the disparity is there.
我不知道这是不是您在寻找的证据
I don't know if it's proof you're looking,
是的话您来找我 过去30年中我一直是受害者
you come to me. I've been a victim of it for the past 30 years.
对于像我这样的小公♥司♥来说 发展非常困难
It's been very hard for a small company like myself to grow.
我发现通常 他们选择承包商的趋势
And usually I find let's say major stream what do you call it,
不是看你的肤色
not by using the color of the skin,
而是看你 是不是在五年内有2000万或3000万项目的主流公♥司♥
but the mainstream companies in five years in construction, they do it in 20 or 30 million
他们也会因此飞速发展
and they speeding up there.
如果你们真心想解决这个
And what we say if you really want to help this,
我不明白为什么找大公♥司♥ 大项目
I don't understand that in bigger companies, bigger projects.
就像我听说霍尼韦尔有几百万美元
Like I heard Honeywell has so many million dollars,
可以和城市商定合同
negotiated contract with the city.
赌场也参与商定了
The casino was negotiated.
为什么我们这些小型承包商就不能与城市谈合作
Why with a small contractor so we can't negotiate with the city
可以有很多种方式
to get that has to be different ways of doing it
比如我们坐下协商合同
that we can sit down and negotiate contracts...
以确保消除大小公♥司♥之间的差异
and make sure we eliminate that gap.
突然间 和我们的合作变得不合法
Suddenly with us it's illegal.
但和大企业合作就合法 这是我的重点
But with major companies it's not illegal. That's my point.
问题就在这里 我觉得根本问题是
Question is there. I think essentially it was
为什么有差异存在呢
why do the disparity studies?
现在有一种观念认为
So there's a belief on the ground that...
这些障碍是必然存在的
these barriers exist.
我们必须要经历这个过程也是有原因的
So there's a few reasons why we have to go through this process.
一是作为研究人员的我们 尽管
One is as researchers we, as strong as though, as strong as
我们对这些障碍是否存在的感觉很强烈
our feeling is that these barriers might exist or not,
我们也得继续工作 理解并寻找证据
we've got to do the work and understand and look for evidence,
存在的客观证据
objective evidence that this exists.
原因是
The reason why is because
为了城市发展其项目
in order for the city to develop its program
为了城市能研发出一个能够达到合法监管的项目
and for the city to develop a program that can stand up to legal scrutiny,
必须要有客观证据
there has to be objective evidence in place
这样才能够指出
that they can point to that informs...
他们选用了哪些项目 以及选用的理由
what programs they use and why they're using those programs.
这就是原因
That's really the reason.
我不会轻易说怀疑这两个字
I wouldn't use the word doubt necessarily,
但这确实是一种历练
but it's really an exercise in making sure that we're gathering
让我们确保找到的证据能够证明
the evidence that the city needs to make sure...
这座城市在恰当地协调项目运作
that it's tailoring its program appropriately.
这就是根结所在
That's really what it comes down to.
毫无疑问 生意场上是存在差异
There is no doubt that there are disparities that exist in doing business.
毫无疑问 我们的经济中也存在差异
There's no doubt that there are disparities in our economy.
事实上 市长一贯很明确
In fact, the Mayor would be very clear and has been very clear,
他现在的首要任务就是解决
his number one priority right now is addressing
存在在我们经济参与体中的不平等
inequities that exist in the participation of our economy.
整个城市都一样
All over the City.
现在我们认为 与城市做生意的
Now we think the inequities that exist in the participation
经济参与体中存在的不平等
in doing business with the City
是需要我们付出切实努力并起带头作用的
is where we need to put real effort and try to lead.
与女性领导企业
And so there's been historic
和少数族裔领导企业
challenges doing business with
签订城市合作协议
women owned and minority owned businesses here in the City
是有历史性挑战的
that way before we got in,
另外还有系统障碍和政策障碍
and there are systemic barriers and policy barriers.
我们想要解决它们
And we want to address them.
我们一直在做一些尝试
We've been doing things
也存在挑战
and there also have been challenges,
在我们上任之前
legal challenges to policies that the City
对政策的合法挑战 但在全国
before we got into office, but all over the country,
每当一个城市采取了一项政策
whenever a City adopts a policy
与每个新企业开展合作 人们都会质疑
that begins to work with one group or another, people will challenge it.
然后会说 嘿 这公平吗 这不公平吗
电影精选列表