剧集 | 婚外情事 | 导航列表
是的 我
Yes, I--
有次海伦告诉我她在读讣闻的时候
Helen once told me that when she reads obituaries,
总是会去看那人是否爱过和被爱过
she's looking for whether the person loved and was loved.
他们是否有过家庭 婚姻是否长久
Did they have a family, were they married long,
有小孩或者孙子吗
did they have children, grandchildren?
当时我有点震惊
And it kind of blew my mind at the time,
因为我从没这样想过
'cause it never occurred to me
通过一个人的家庭去评价他
to judge someone by their family.
那你是在找什么呢
Instead, you're looking at what?
他们有做过什么
What they--what they did.
你是说他们的工作 成就
Meaning their work, their accomplishments?
是的
Yes.
但是 部分海伦说的话
And yet, there's something about
深深地烙印在了你脑子里
what Helen said that stayed with you,
让你觉得她可能是不是有所察觉了
that--that makes you think she might be on to something.
我只是觉得有很多不同的矩阵
I just think there are so many different matrices
可以用来衡量一个人的价值
by which to measure a man's worth,
而我不知道哪个才是对的
and I--I don't know which is right.
关于这个问题我打算写一本新书
I'm writing a whole book about this question.
至少我在努力
At least, I'm trying to.
-你的新小说 -是的
- Your new novel? - Yeah.
在这你很少谈你的新书
You haven't talked about that much in here.
除了说它会很不同
Except to say that it's very different.
相比《坠落》是一次全新的启航
It's a real departure from Descent.
-没错 -是讲过去的 对吗
- Right. - It's historical, right?
-是二战 -对的
- It's World War II? - Right.
里面没有女人
With no women in it?
我有这样说过吗
Did I say that?
你说你想确保
You said that you wanted to be sure
跟你的私人关系无关
it had nothing to do with personal relationships.
这样艾莉森就不会觉得
So there wouldn't be anything or anyone
有任何东西任何人是她了
that Alison might think was her.
我那算是开玩笑吧
Well, I was joking. Kind of.
起初我写的是一个战争故事
No, I started off writing a war story,
当然本质上仍然是
and well, it still is that, essentially.
能给我透露一点点内容吗
Can you tell me a little bit about it?
你知道奥马尔·布拉德利是谁吗
Do you know who Omar Bradley is?
很耳熟
Uh, it sounds familiar.
他是个战争英雄
He's a--he's a war hero.
五星上将
He was a five-star general.
他是诺曼底登陆中美国第一军团的指挥官
He was the commander of the First Army at Normandy.
这本书是根据他的一生写的
The book is based on his life.
虽然是虚构的
I mean, it's fiction,
但他令人着迷
but he was fascinating.
他是个伟人
He was a great man.
他的一生卓越非凡
He led this extraordinary,
意义重大
significant life.
光写完他一半的成就
You'd have to write two or three books
你就得写两本或三本书
just to cover half of his achievements.
我在第二章里花了一半篇幅
I spent half of chapter two
叙述他和蒙哥马利将军的一次会议
writing about one meeting he had with Montgomery,
然后写到第六十五页
and then I got to page 65, and...
第六十五页怎么了
What happened on page 65?
玛琳·黛德丽
Marlene Dietrich.
德裔美国演员兼歌♥手
什么
What?
我本来不打算写她的 但之后我
I was gonna leave her out, but then I just--
说不清 不知怎么地就敲下了她的名字
I don't know, she somehow appeared on my screen.
她就这么出现
She just appeared?
自己出现的吗
On her own?
不是
Uh, no.
然后她对你的主角使了美人计
And then seduced your main character?
你自己编的还是
Did you make this up, or--
不是的 确有发生
No, no, no, no, it happened.
传闻发生过
Well, it was rumored to.
有他们在一起的照片
There are photos of them together.
我猜布拉德利是结了婚的吧
And Bradley was married, I'm guessing.
结了四十九年
For 49 years.
和街对面的女生
To the girl across the street.
你明白吗 那就是他
But you see, that's-- that's who he was.
他并不只是一个毫无畏惧的领导者
He wasn't just some fearless leader,
卡♥通♥里的美国队长
some cartoon Captain America,
他还是有缺陷的 不完美而且自私
he was--he was flawed, and imperfect, and selfish,
我现在明白这书引人入胜的地方正是这个
and that, I now realize is what makes the book compelling.
这是一切的中心
It's the center of all of it.
我们该怎么看待这个人
What do we make of this guy?
他和婚姻之外的一个
Does the fact that he had sex
电影明星上♥床♥这事
with a movie star outside marriage,
会抵消掉他所有的成就吗
does that somehow negate all of his achievements?
还是说这些让他出轨的特质
Or do those traits that made him cheat--
自负 热情 充满斗志
ego, intensity, drive--
同时也让他走向成功
do they also lead him to achieve?
这都是些大问题啊
Those are some big questions.
这是本充满野心的书
Well, I mean, it's a very big book.
我希望会是一本很重要的书
And I hope it's an important one.
如果我能完成的话
If I could only fucking finish it.
你遇到了问题吗
Are you having trouble?
没有 我只是
No, I'm not having trouble. I just--
问题是我没有时间
Well, the problem is I don't have any time.
又要教学又要照顾小孩 以及
Between the teaching and the baby, and...
我需要做更多的调查
...I need to do more research.
我需要去法国待六至八周
I need to go to France and spend six or eight weeks
去探访他住过 战过 操过的地方
and see where he lived, and he fought, and he fucked and--
为什么不去呢 买♥♥张票就行
So why not go? Buy a ticket.
我相信你能想出办法的
I'm sure you could figure it out.
不行 艾莉森读的是加速学位
No, Alison's program is accelerated,
她整个夏天都有课
so she's got courses all summer
我能离开的最早时间是
and the soonest I can get away is--
我他妈的都不知道
I don't even fucking know.
十五个月后吧
Fifteen months?
这太郁闷了
That's frustrating.
当我去的时候 我需要时间来写书
When I go I need--I need time to write the thing.
这样的一本书 需要专注力
I mean, a book like this, it takes concentration.
真正的专注 不是什么
Real focus. It's not some
十周就能搞定的低俗小说
piece of pulp you can pump out in ten weeks.
你是说《坠落》吗
Like Descent, you mean?
《坠落》不同
Descent is what it is.
它 它
It was--It was--
它 反响很好
It was--it did amazingly well.
但我已经考虑好一阵子了 我想再进一步
But I've known for a while I wanted to take the next step.
我想用真正的眼界来写一本书
I wanted to do something bigger with real scope.
严肃的 有意义的
Something serious and significant.
你注意到你用来形容
So do you notice that the words you use
布拉德利一生的词
to describe Bradley's life--
充满野心 意义重大 伟大
"Big," "Significant," "Great"--
现在你用它们来形容你的新书
you're now using them to describe your new book.
书的主题就是他
Well, he's the subject of the book.
我想知道的是
But what I'm interested in
这个主题和你的人生有何联♥系♥
is how this subject relates to your own life.
在你的脑中
In your mind.
我想知道
I want to know...
想知道是否可能
I want to know if it's possible,
真的可能同时成为两种人
really possible to be both.
两种人
Both?
一个好人和一个伟人
A good man and a great man.
好人是指
And by good, you mean?
就是海伦读讣闻的评价方式
Well, the way Helen reads the obituaries, you know,
婚姻长久
for long-lasting marriages,
传统美德 差不多就这样
for virtue, basically,
一夫一妻 朋友关系 爱
monogamy, partnership, love.
海伦认为是好人的
剧集 | 婚外情事 | 导航列表