剧集 | 英国铁路纪行(2010) | 导航列表
Few people can recall how to operate these.
哦不,我记得。
Oh no, I recall.
你把它放在那里,然后它就停了。
You position that there and then it stops it.
你拉带子,它就升上去了。
You pull the strap and up it goes.
哦,拉带子升上去。我刚才没完全记对。
Oh, you pull the strap and up it goes. I wasn't remembering perfectly then.
就是这样。你可以控制通风。
That's it. You can control your ventilation.
唯一的问题是这些带子以前经常被偷。
The only problem was these used to get stolen, these straps.
听说老式剃刀可以用这些带子磨快。
I gather the old fashioned cut-throat razors could be sharpened on these.
非常感谢。太棒了。
Well, thank you very much. Lovely.
蒸汽火车启动时的声音太棒了。
Fantastic sound, when you set off on a steam train.
是的。电动火车就不一样了,对吧?
It is. It's not quite the same with an electric train, is it?
确实不一样。
No, it is not.
这节车厢是1♥8♥9♥0年代的典型代表
This carriage is typical of the 1♥8♥9♥0s
头等舱乘客享有豪华软垫内饰。
and has a luxuriously upholstered interior for first class passengers.
但过去并非总是如此。
But it wasn't always like this.
带我回到1850年代,布拉德肖指南编写的年代,我正在追随的那本。
Take me back to 1850's when Bradshaw's guide was written, the one I am following.
1850年代的乘客可能很感激头顶有个遮棚。
I think the 1850's, the passengers then may have been grateful to have a shelter over their heads.
因为很多人经历过1840年代乘坐敞篷车厢。
Because a lot of them would have experienced the 1840's riding in open wagons.
敞篷车厢。
Open wagons.
显然,铁路公♥司♥认为:"运煤更赚钱。
Clearly, the railways thought, "We get more money transporting coal.
运牲畜更赚钱。"
"We get more money transporting cattle."
所以尽可能多地把三等乘客塞进敞篷车厢。
So, they put as many third-class passengers into an open wagon as possible.
议会介入并规定他们应有更好的旅行条件。
Parliament stepped in and decreed that they really ought to have better travelling conditions.
在健康安全时代之前,没有"请勿探身窗外"的提示。
In the age before Health and Safety, it doesn't say, 'Do not to lean out of the window'.
所以我可以探出窗外吗?
So, may I have a lean out of the window, please?
当然可以。谢谢。
Yes, of course. Thank you.
烟雾沿着铁轨弥漫的感觉太棒了。
It's a great feeling, the smoke pouring down the line.
(火车鸣笛)
TRAIN WHISTLES
神奇。
Magic.
下一站是博尔顿修道院。
My next stop is Bolton Abbey.
1880年建站以接待前来参观废墟的游客,
The station was built here in 1880 to accommodate day-trippers who flocked here to visit the ruin,
这里的景色历经岁月依然如故。
which commands a vista unspoilt by time.
我的布拉德肖指南说它"坐落在沃夫河畔,风景绝佳。
My Bradshaw says it is "most charmingly situated on the banks of the River Wharfe.
这里及周边地区如画般的风景格外引人注目、令人难忘。"
"Indeed the picturesque character of this and surrounding districts is peculiarly striking and impressive."
这片3万英亩的庄园自1755年起归德文郡公爵所有。
The 30,000 acre estate has been owned by the Dukes of Devonshire since 1755.
庄园内的德文郡酒店原为17世纪驿站,现已变成高档酒店。
The Devonshire Arms, a 17th century coaching inn on the estate, has been turned into a rather smart hotel.
我想布拉德肖会认可。
I think Bradshaw would have approved.
公爵级别的享受。
Fit for a Duke.
温暖又干燥。
And warm and dry.
新的一天,新的冒险。
A new day and a new part of my adventure.
虽然我按照可靠指南的路线行进,
But though I'm following the route from my trusty guide,
但即将看到的景象是乔治·布拉德肖难以想象的。
I'm about to see it in a way George Bradshaw could barely have imagined.
乔治·布拉德肖热爱进步。
George Bradshaw loved progress.
看到高架桥或铁路隧♥道♥,他总会赞叹其中的工程技术。
He couldn't see a viaduct or a railway tunnel without praising the engineering skill involved.
如今,铁路基础设施的重要维护工作
Nowadays, an important part of the maintenance of
是通过空中完成的。
the railway infrastructure is carried out from the air.
很遗憾乔治·布拉德肖不能共享这次体验,
I'm sorry George Bradshaw isn't here to share the experience
但至少今天他的指南会随我一起升空。
but at least with me today one of his guide books will go aloft.
大多数人坐火车时不会考虑线路如何保持安全。
Most of us travel by train without a second's thought for how the line's kept safe.
我能登机吗?当然可以,先生。谢谢。
Can I get aboard? You certainly can, sir. Thank you.
但自铁路建成以来,就有人负责维护近2万英里的轨道。
But ever since the railways were built, someone's had to look after almost 20,000 miles of track.
几分钟前我们从利兹-布拉德福德机场起飞,
A few moments ago, we took off from Leeds-Bradford airport,
现在正高空飞往约克。
now we're flying at fairly high level towards York.
到达后将沿东海岸干线北上爱丁堡,
When we get there, we'll pick up the East Coast mainline heading up towards Edinburgh
开始勘察那段轨道。
and we're going to start to survey that bit of track.
在布拉德肖的维多利亚时代,巡道工夜间步行检查轨道问题。
In Bradshaw's Victorian Britain, the linesmen would walk the tracks at night checking for problems.
如今直升机协助完成这项工作,装满各种装置,
This helicopter helps do the job today, stuffed full of gadgets
布拉德肖一定会喜欢这些新奇玩意儿。
and gizmos in which Bradshaw would surely have taken delight.
飞机底部的摄像头正追踪
The camera on the bottom of the aircraft is following
北向轨道,我肉眼可见,
the track northwards and I can see it with the naked eye
同时机内屏幕也在显示,
but also following here on the screen inside the aircraft
我正看着时,
and as I'm watching,
霍华德为我放大到惊人的细节程度。
Howard is zooming in for me taking me into remarkable degrees of detail.
最重要的设备之一是用于检查道岔的红外摄像头。
One of the most important devices is an infrared camera used to inspect the points.
红外摄像头检查每组道岔的加热系统是否正常。
The infrared camera checks whether the heating system on every set of points is working properly.
这里出故障会导致混乱。
A breakdown here could cause chaos.
布拉德肖今天玩得很开心。
Bradshaw's having a great day out.
会向右转。
It's going to come down to the right.
12分钟飞行带我们来到东海岸,
So, a 12 minute flight has brought us all the way to the east coast
观察雷德卡至惠特比的一段轨道。
and we're looking at a little bit of track here that runs between Redcar and Whitby.
维多利亚人沿着悬崖边缘修建了它。
And the Victorians built it right along the cliff edge.
这是我见过最壮观的轨道之一。
It's one of the most spectacular bits of track I've ever seen.
如今只需定期检查确保
Nowadays, you just need to keep an eye on it to make sure that
海岸侵蚀不会危及安全。
with the coastal erosion, it's not in any danger.
直升机拍摄视频供工程师检查,
And the helicopter is making a video of this spot so that it can be
确保一切安全。
examined by the engineers who need to know that everything is safe.
这段轨道绝对壮观。
It's an absolutely spectacular bit of track.
真想坐火车体验沿途风景。
I'd love to ride the train along there and see the view.
这给了我未来铁路旅行的灵感。
That's given me an idea for a future railway journey.
无论乘飞机、汽车还是火车来约克,你都会发现这座美丽的城市。
Whether you come to York by air, road or rail you discover a beautiful city.
车站本身就值得一看。
The station itself is well worth a look.
1877年由建筑师托马斯·普罗瑟和威廉·皮奇设计建造,
Built in 1877, and designed by architects Thomas Prosser and William Peachey,
曾是世界上最大的车站。
it was the largest station in the world.
如今每天近400班列车经过,成为最繁忙的车站之一。
And with almost 400 trains passing through it everyday, it's now one of the busiest.
约克每年吸引约400万游客并不奇怪。
Not surprisingly, York attracts about four million visitors a year.
有人来探寻罗马遗迹。
Some come to search out its Roman roots.
有人来惊叹中世纪建筑。
Some come to marvel at its medieval buildings.
还有人...
And others...
嗯,还有人专为火车而来。
Well, others come for the trains.
经验告诉我,总能在站台尽头找到火车迷,
Experience tells me that you'll always find trainspotters at the ends of platforms
他们记录机车编号♥、拍照或做其他事情。
where they can jot down the numbers of locomotives or photograph them, or whatever.
晚上好。晚上好。很高兴见到你。
Good evening. Good evening. Pleased to meet you.
很高兴见到你。你该不会是火车迷吧?
Very nice to see you. Would you by any chance be a trainspotter?
不,请叫我铁路摄影师。
No, railway photographer, please.
你带着相机。
You've got a camera.
不知该怎么说,但火车迷有些特定名声。
I don't know how to put this to you, but trainspotters do have a certain reputation.
你指哪种名声?
Which reputation are you thinking of?
嗯...可能有点无趣?
Well... maybe for being a little bit dull?
我认为当你沉浸其中时,会忽略外界现实。
I think you become involved to an extent that you ignore the real world outside.
进入自己的小世界,很多人加入其中,
You come into your own little world and you have many people who join you in that,
有人对机械感兴趣,
whether they're interested in mechanics,
有人喜欢观察,有人关注运营。
interested in the actual observations, interested in the operations.
各有所好。
They all have their own little interest.
但我们忠于自己的热爱。
But it means that we're committed to what we enjoy.
有点痴迷?你承认有点痴迷吗?
A little obsessive, then? You will admit to a little obsessive, would you?
我想可能有点痴迷。
I think obsessive, possibly, yes.
但绝不无趣。
But certainly not dull.
我不认为自己痴迷火车,但我确实喜欢。
I wouldn't consider myself an obsessive about trains, but I do like them.
我想每个人内心都住着一个小火车迷?
I wonder whether there isn't a little bit of trainspotter in all of us?
你对火车迷怎么看?我觉得是个好爱好。
What do you think of train spotters? Well, I think it's a good pastime.
是吗?你自己当过火车迷吗?
Yeah? Have you ever been a train spotter yourself?
小时候当过,但我现在74岁了。
When I was a little lad but I'm 74 years of age now.
看吧。这就是火车迷的最好广♥告♥。
There we are. There's an advertisement for trainspotting.
保持年轻。没错。
Keeps you young. That's right.
在我那个年代,这是很流行的事。
In my day, it was very much the thing to do.
我妈以前总说,不许你去当火车迷。
My mum used to say to me, don't you dare go trainspotting.
但你知道男孩们什么样。那真是美好。
But you know what lads are. It was wonderful.
看着蒸汽喷涌而出,
A wonderful era to see all the steam coming out, you know.
司机们都被煤熏得黑黑的...
And the engine drivers were all black with the coal and...
多么美好的时代!
What an era!
都一去不复返了,是吧?
It's all gone now, hasn't it?
你是那个时代的诗人。
You are a poet of your age.
是吗?谢谢夸奖。说得很美。
Am I? Yes. Well, that's very kind of you to say. Beautifully said.
你对火车迷有什么看法?
Do you have any views on trainspotters?
有,随他们去吧。
Yes, leave them to it.
我觉得他们有趣又严谨。
I think they're interesting and fastidious, probably.
嗯,支持他们。
And, yeah, good on them.
你自己当过火车迷吗?
Have you ever been one yourself?
从没带过相机,但我喜欢看货运列车。
I've never had a camera but I like to see a freight train.
喜欢看货运列车?对,我着迷于货运列车。
You like to see a freight train? Yeah, I'm fascinated by freight trains.
真的吗?有趣的火车...
剧集 | 英国铁路纪行(2010) | 导航列表