剧集 | 英国铁路纪行(2010) | 导航列表
1840年,一位英国人彻底改变了出行方式
In 1840, one man transformed travel in Britain.
他名叫乔治·布拉德肖
His name was George Bradshaw
他的铁路指南激励维多利亚时代的人们踏上铁轨之旅
and his railway guides inspired the Victorians to take to the tracks.
他逐站指引旅行目的地
Stop by stop, he told them where to travel,
观光景点与住宿推荐
what to see and where to stay.
170年后的今天 我将进行四次长途旅行
Now 170 years later, I'm making four long journeys
穿越这个国家的南北西东
across the length and breadth of the country
探寻布拉德肖笔下不列颠的遗存
to see what remains of Bradshaw's Britain.
手持19世纪指南书《布拉德肖》
Using Bradshaw's, my 19th century guidebook,
带着一把雨伞
and armed with an umbrella,
今天是我从普雷斯顿到柯科迪的最后一段旅程
today I'm on the last leg of my journey from Preston to Kirkcaldy.
今日将抵达苏格兰东部
Today will take me to east Scotland -
与其说是发现之旅 不如说是重拾记忆
a voyage not so much of discovery as rediscovery,
这里曾是我儿时常去之地
as I used to go there as a child.
这将是一场关于旧日风物的怀旧之旅
So this will be a journey of nostalgia, for places as they were,
故人旧貌
for people as they were,
以及逝者如斯
for people who no longer are.
今天 我将冒雨前往卡鲁克
Today, I'll be braving the weather in Carluke
见证一个产业的复兴
to see an industry being brought back to life.
你们生产苹果汁还是苹果酒?
Is it apple juice you make or cider?
您想要哪种?我们都有
Which would you like? We can do both.
不过苹果酒得等一年后才能喝到!
You might have to come back in a year for the cider, though!
我将寻找苏格兰著名的地下密室
I'll be searching for a famous Scottish basement.
我在找一间地窖
I'm looking for a cellar
根据指南记载 联合法案可能在此签署
where the act of union may have been signed, according to my guidebook.
好吧 现在这里是女厕所
Right. It's actually our ladies' toilets.
同时我也将实现毕生夙愿
And I'll be realising a lifelong ambition.
它能让你感受到...
It gives you an idea of the...
规模之宏大 结构之复杂 高度之巍峨
the scale, the complexity, the height.
还有无与伦比的美感 太壮观了
And actually the beauty. It's a beautiful thing, isn't it?
我的普雷斯顿北上之旅即将结束
I'm almost at the end of my journey north from Preston.
本周我沿不列颠西海岸北上
All this week, I've been travelling up the west of Britain,
探访了英国诸多绝美之地
stopping at some of the most beautiful spots in the country.
跨过苏格兰边界后
Having crossed the border into Scotland,
现正前往母亲的故乡柯科迪
I'm now heading for my mother's home town of Kirkcaldy.
今日我将离开格拉斯哥前往卡鲁克
Today I'm leaving Glasgow and heading for Carluke.
之后抵达苏格兰首府
Then I'll hit the Scottish capital,
最后跨过福斯湾到达终点
before crossing the Firth of Forth to my final destination.
首站是克莱德河谷 因《布拉德肖》的记载而心驰神往
My first stop will be in the Clyde Valley because I am intrigued by something in Bradshaw's.
"铁路线穿行于矿产资源丰富"
"The line now passes through a district of country
"风景如画的区域"
"rich in mineral wealth, beautiful scenery,
"这里被誉为苏格兰果园"
"celebrated far and near as the orchard of Scotland,
"以优质水果闻名遐迩"
"and famous for its fine fruit."
布拉德肖时代 克莱德河谷果园繁茂
In Bradshaw's time, the Clyde Valley was lush with orchards.
每逢收获季 火车将新鲜水果运往全国市场
Each season, trains rushed the freshly picked fruit to markets all over the country.
如今许多果园已荒芜凋敝
But today, many of the orchards are neglected and overgrown.
卡鲁克的这群人正试图复兴这个古老产业
Here at Carluke, one small group of people is trying to revive this centuries-old industry.
早汤姆 早迈克尔
Morning, Tom. Morning, Michael.
天气真适合干活呢 是啊太棒了
Lovely weather for it. Yes, beautiful.
最近怎样?又是晴朗的一天
How are you? Another fine day.
汤姆·克莱兰家族经营这片果园
Tom Clelland's family have managed the trees here
已逾四代人
for more than four generations.
你最早关于采摘水果的记忆是什么?
May I ask what your own earliest memory is of fruit-picking?
你小时候这个行业应该还很兴旺吧?
Because it must still have been going strong when you were a lad.
是啊 我住的这条街上
Yeah, this road that I live in,
人人都以种植水果为生
everybody made their living out of growing fruit.
夏天种醋栗草莓黑加仑
In summer, they grew gooseberries, strawberries, blackcurrants.
秋天主要是李子 还有苹果和梨
And then in the autumn it was mainly plums but also apples and pears.
记得水果被装上马车
I remember it being put on the back of a cart
拖拉机将草莓运往现已关闭的莱斯马哈格火车站
and the tractor driving the strawberries up to a railway station that's now closed at Lesmahagow,
我们往火车车厢装草莓
and we loaded the strawberries on to the railway carriage
运往曼彻斯特
and they were bound for Manchester.
铁路是这行的命脉吧? 没错
So the railways were fundamental to this business? Oh yes.
这里气候凉爽 水果成熟期
The cooler weather here meant that fruit was still ripening
比南方更晚
after the season had finished further south.
采摘昼夜不停
Picking was organised around the clock
以便清晨将水果运往伯明翰曼彻斯特和伦敦
so that the fruit could be put on the early freight trains to Birmingham, Manchester and London.
我以前不了解苏格兰果园
I didn't know much about the orchard of Scotland.
如今还名副其实吗?
Does it still justify the name?
呃... 盛况不复当年
Um... No, not in the same way that it did.
20世纪初达到鼎盛时期
It kind of reached its heyday round about the start of the 20th century
当时果园面♥积♥约1000英亩
when there would be about 1,000 acres of orchards around here.
河谷另一侧还有700英亩
And about another 700 acres of soft fruit
浆果种植区
on the other side of the valley and down that way.
现在还剩多少?
So what are you down to now?
不到100英亩乔木果园
Less than 100 acres of top fruit.
我有150棵李树 一些苹果树和梨树
I've got about 150 plum trees, some apple and some pear.
需要重新栽种果园
I need to plant up my orchard again.
必须精心照料 我正这么做
I need to look after it, and I'm doing that
因为这是祖辈传承 是我的成长记忆
because it's part of my heritage, it's what I grew up with.
汤姆与邓肯·亚瑟等果农共同守护这些果树
Tom is now caring for the fruit trees along with other local growers like Duncan Arthur.
早上好!
Morning!
看来你在榨苹果汁?
So, I caught you pressing some apples.
刚开始呢
We're at the start of it anyway.
生产苹果汁还是苹果酒?想要哪种?
Is it apple juice you make or cider? Which would you like?
两种都行
We can do both.
不过苹果酒得等一年!
You might have to come back in a year for the cider, though.
好吧 来点苹果汁
All right. I'll have some apple juice.
你和汤姆是邻居 也是种植户?
So, you're a neighbour of Tom's and you're a grower here as well?
是的没错
Yes, I am indeed.
每周两次 汤姆邓肯等人采收水果
'Twice a week, Tom, Duncan and the other growers harvest the fruit
制♥作♥苹果汁在当地销♥售♥
'and produce apple juice that they sell locally.'
还不错
That's not too bad.
这机器效率很高啊
Yeah, it's a very efficient mechanism, isn't it?
是啊 运转很顺畅
It is. That works nicely.
我可不想整天干这个!
I'm not sure I'd want to do it all day!
一次压榨能出15-20升苹果汁
No, but one pressing will give us about 15 or 20 litres of apple juice.
先让汁液流出来 对
I'll just let that run through now, I think. Yes.
能尝尝吗? 当然 请便
Now, can I taste it? Absolutely. Why not?
现在还有点浑浊
At this point, it's a wee bit cloudy,
但纯天然无添加
but it's as Mother Nature intended.
太美妙了 和超♥市♥的苹果汁完全不同
It's exquisite. It's quite different from apple juice in the supermarket.
真的...
It's really...
酸爽又...新鲜...
I don't know, tangy and...fresh...
干得好邓肯 你们找到了正确方向 非常感谢
Well done, Duncan. You're on to something there. Thank you very much.
看到果园重现生机令人振奋
It's uplifting to see the orchards being tended once more.
这里延续着布拉德肖可能品尝过的传统苹果梨品种
They perpetuate traditional varieties of apples and pears that Bradshaw might have eaten.
从苏格兰果园到苏格兰首府
From Scotland's orchard, now to Scotland's capital.
现前往35英里外的爱丁堡
I'm now bound for Edinburgh, 35 miles away.
请问这是您的伞吗? 不是
Just one thing, is that your umbrella? No, no.
爱丁堡有失物招领处吗?
Is there a lost property office at Edinburgh, do you know?
韦弗利中心有 是吗?我放那边
In the Waverley Centre there is. Is there? I'll pop it in there.
谢谢
Thank you.
不列颠南北狭长
Britain is very long from north to south,
东西却相对狭窄
but tends to be very narrow from east to west.
即使最慢的火车
So even on the slowest train,
也能快速从格拉斯哥横跨至爱丁堡
I have quite quickly crossed virtually from Glasgow all the way to Edinburgh.
即将到达爱丁堡干草市场站
We are just arriving at Edinburgh Haymarket.
干草市场到韦弗利区间是我最爱的铁路段
And then between Haymarket and Waverley is one of my favourite stretches of railway line.
列车穿越峡谷 城♥堡♥巍然矗立
The railway runs through a ravine with the castle looming up above us.
此刻可见壮观的垂直景观
Now I have a wonderful sheer vertical view
爱丁堡城♥堡♥巍然耸立
up towards Edinburgh Castle.
列车沿着巨岩边缘行进
And we pass along the edge of the bottom of this fantastic rock
这座岩石主宰着城市天际线
which dominates the city.
抵达爱丁堡韦弗利车站后
Arriving at Edinburgh Waverley Station,
我的首要任务是寻找失物招领处
my first task is to find the lost property office.
您好 失物招领?是的 您好
Hi. Lost luggage? Yes, it is. Hi.
我在2:15从格拉斯哥中♥央♥车站出发的列车上捡到这个
I found this on the train. I was on the 2.15 from Glasgow Central.
好的 我们登记一下...
OK, that's lovely. So we'll just note down...
你们肯定收到大量遗失物品吧?
I imagine you get vast amounts of lost luggage, don't you?
剧集 | 英国铁路纪行(2010) | 导航列表