剧集 | 镀金时代(2022) | 导航列表
我与罗素先生有约
Mr. Russell is expecting me.
这边请,罗素先生在书房♥
If you'll come this way, sir, Mr. Russell is in the library.
泰特先生到
Mr. Tate.
我还以为是令尊约见
I thought it was your father I was here to see.
抱歉让您失望了
I hope I'm not a disappointment.
当天总统会莅临
But there is to be a reception at their home,
罗布林家庆功宴
which the president will attend,
罗布林夫人为东道主
and Mrs. Roebling will be the hostess.
-这样还不够吗? -不够,差远了
Isn't that enough? - No, not nearly.
罗布林夫人监工的大桥 名列世界第八大奇景
Mrs. Roebling has been managing construction of the eighth wonder of the world.
她只是执行丈夫指令
She took orders from her husband,
市长也会在典礼上表扬她
and she will be thanked for it by the mayor at the opening.
罗布林先生卧病多年
Mr. Roebling has been convalescing for years.
就算想每日发号♥施令也不可能
He couldn't have given directions every day, even if he wanted to.
在这节骨眼揭露 布鲁克林大桥是由女性监工
To reveal now that the Brooklyn Bridge is largely the work of a woman
恐怕会令男性不敢过桥
would make men afraid to cross it.
夫人知道您会这么说
She told me you'd say that.
不能因为同情罗布林夫人
I cannot endanger the whole event
而毁了开桥典礼
out of pity for Mrs. Roebling.
这句话真教人失望
That's disappointing to hear.
怎么样了?
Well?
工人都回去上工,产能
The men are back to work, and the mills
毫无减损
are running at full production.
你好像很意外
You sound surprised.
不会啊,你给了那么多福利
I'm not at all surprised, given the offer you made.
更多安全措施 医疗照顾及儿童游戏场
More safeguards, medical care, children's park.
简直就像童话故事
It was a list from a fairy tale.
你忘了说加薪
Don't forget the pay raise.
你还有心说笑 此举已破坏市场行情
You joke, but you've broken your word to the others.
所有雇主迟早都得这么做
I have only done what they will all do sooner or later.
-你是指投降? -非也
You mean give in? - Not quite.
我提供技师为期六个月小幅加薪
I've offered a modest raise on a six-month contract
仅限技师,不包括一般工人
to the tradesmen, and only to the tradesmen.
-是没错
Exactly.
-此举会让劳方内部分♥裂♥
It will split the union down the middle.
到时控制权又回到我们手上
And when it does, we will reassert our control.
所以你摆了他们一道?
So you've tricked them?
应该说是略施小技
I prefer to call it tactics.
合约到期时
By the time the contract lapses,
技师和劳工彼此憎恨
the craftsmen and the laborers will hate each other,
大家把错都算在 天主教移♥民♥和犹太人头上
and everyone will hate the Catholic immigrants and the Jews.
当务之急‥快把韩德森召回纽约
In the meantime,get Henderson back to New York.
我来跟他拍张握手言和的相片
We'll have a photograph taken of my shaking his hand.
-庆祝你的胜利 -错了
To celebrate your victory. - Certainly not.
现阶段要让他看起来是赢家
For now, he must look like the winner.
再给我一块吧,真好吃
I'll have one more, please. They're quite tasty.
阿姆斯壮小姐,你没事吧?
Are you all right, Miss Armstrong?
-很好啊,怎么了? -你说了好话
Yes, why? - Well, you said something nice.
不能赞美鲍尔太太的手艺吗?
I can't compliment Mrs. Bauer's cooking?
可以,只是不像你罢了
Oh, you can, but it's just so unlike you.
该称赞的我就会称赞
I give praise when it is deserved.
-约翰 -是,班尼斯特先生
Oh, John. - Yes, Mr. Bannister?
下午我的朋友舒伯特先生
I have a friend coming here this afternoon,
会来访
a Mr. Schubert.
我向他转述你的困境
I wrote to him about your predicament,
他愿意来一趟
and he's agreed to meet you to see if there's anything
看能否为你的专利帮点忙
to be done about your patent.
官方回绝,不是就没下文了?
But they turned me down. Isn't that the end of it?
问问看舒伯特先生吧
Well, Mr. Schubert will know.
他是纽约市
He's the secretary
钟表协会秘书
of the Uhrmacher Verein der Stadt New York.
你连德语也会说? 那是什么意思?
Do you speak German now? - What does it mean?
纽约市德国钟表协会
The Watchmakers' Association of the City of New York.
内战末期由几名
It was founded by some German clockmakers
德裔钟表匠成立
at the end of the war,
该协会目前极具影响力
and now it wields considerable influence.
他怎会想帮我?
Why would he bother with me?
为了还我人情
真是太好了
- As a favor to me. - How exciting.
还不快把刀叉送上楼
Shouldn't you take the silver up?
马上去
Right away.
你当真想去?
You sure you feel up to going?
那当然
I do. It's Marian's engagement.
毕竟是玛丽安的订婚宴
She'll understand.
她会谅解的
I can represent us both.
由我代表出席就好
There's no need to put yourself through it.
你不必勉强自己
I intend to keep living my life while I can.
可以的话,我还想正常过日子
I just worry that if you go over there,
怕只怕一看到你 爱格又开始劝我俩搬过去
Agnes will try to persuade us again to move in with her.
我想留在这里
I'd rather we stay here.
我会陪着你
I won't leave your side.
就算你嫌我烦
You may tire of me,
我也会一直陪着你
but I'm not going anywhere.
我永远不会嫌你烦,弗特夫人
I will never grow weary of you, Mrs. Forte.
你觉得这件如何?
What do you think of this one?
很好看,每件都好看
It's pretty. They're all pretty.
这么做不太好
路克姑丈都已如此病重
- It just feels wrong, when Uncle Luke is so ill.
弗特牧师娘不会介意
Mrs. Forte won't grudge it.
她为你订婚感到开心
She's glad you're engaged.
否则也不会出席午宴
They wouldn't come to the luncheon otherwise.
嫁给他是对的吗?
Was I right to accept him?
这只有你能回答
Well, only you can answer that.
他看起来人很好
他是很好
But he seems a nice man. - He is nice.
心地善良,是个好父亲
And kind, and a good father,
具备所有好条件
and all of those things.
你在说服自己吗?
Are you trying to persuade yourself?
并不是
Not at all.
我心意已决
I am persuaded.
那就好好享受午宴吧
Then enjoy your luncheon in peace.
我会的
Yes, I will.
还以为你会更高兴一点
I thought you'd be overjoyed.
老实说,我挺讶异的
To be honest, I'm stunned.
我动用了些关系
Well, I've pulled a lot of strings,
还把其他人挪开
and I'm afraid I've pushed others aside
才帮你争取到包厢
to get you to the top of the list.
这我自然是很感激
For which I'm grateful, of course.
你不是一直想要学院包厢吗?
Wasn't a box at the Academy what you've always wanted?
是没错
It was.
现在你如愿以偿了
And now you have it.
大都会剧院不如就算了吧
So can we put this Metropolitan business to rest?
我要跟罗素先生商量一下
I must discuss it with Mr. Russell.
我想他会为你高兴的
I think he'll be very pleased for you.
我该走了
I should be on my way.
布鲁克林大桥启用
There's so much to do for the opening
可有得忙了
of the Brooklyn Bridge.
罗素先生是大桥托管人
Mr. Russell is one of the trustees.
我们先观赏开桥仪式
We're watching the opening itself,
再到罗布林府参加庆功宴
and then we'll go to a reception that Mrs. Roebling is giving.
我知道,我在帮她筹备
Yes, I know. I'm helping her with it.
她府上从未接待过总统
She's never entertained for a president before.
得花不少功夫呢
Quite a responsibility. - I suppose.
是啊,亚瑟总统人很随和
President Arthur is a nice man,
他从前是很成功的律师
and I believe he was successful as a lawyer.
出身倒是挺平凡的
But his origins are not exactly inspiring.
你跟他认识?
You know him then?
我们打过几次照面
We meet in the way of things.
我能介绍你给总统认识
I'll present you, if you like.
那真是太光荣了
就这么说定了
- I should be honored. - That's settled, then.
你这周也会出席
Will I be seeing you
剧集 | 镀金时代(2022) | 导航列表