used to be called Mesopotamia.
以前被称为美索不达米亚
Apparently it's Greek for "between two rivers".
很显然这是希腊语的"两河之间"
I mean,you know hippopotamuses
我的意思是 你知道河马吧
well,"hippo" means river
呃 "hippo"意思是河
and "potamus" means horse,
"potamus"意思是马
river-horse,you see.
河马
No,er...it's the other way around,isn't it?
不 呃... 还有另一种解释 对吧?
"Hippo" means horse
"Hippo"意思是马
and "potamus" means river,
"potamus"意思是河
otherwise it would be "between two horses".
还有另一种可能是"两马之间"
So,as "meso" apparently means "between",
所以 "meso"很明显意思是"之间"
Mesopotamia means "between two rivers".
美索不达米亚意思是"两河之间"
Er...the two rivers being the Tigris
呃... 这两条河一条是底格里斯河
and,um,that other one.
呃 还有另外一条
The Euphrates. Yes! Between two rivers.
幼发拉底河 对! 两河之间
I should've thought you would have known by now
我想你现在应该知道
that dinner is at eight o'clock,Mr Carey.
晚餐是八点开始的 凯里先生
I'm sorry,Mrs Leidner.
抱歉 利德勒夫人
I thought that the work was what was important here.
我认为这里的工作才是最要紧的
Not at the expense of everyone else's convenience.
必须是在不妨碍别人的前提下
We finished our soup,
恐怕
I'm afraid. It's quite alright.
我们喝完汤了 没关系
I had to finish plotting those walls.
我必须绘完那些墙
...Yes.
...是的
Yes,of course.
是的 当然
It's been lovely weather again today,hasn't it?
今天又是个好天气 是吧?
Out of the sun,of course.
当然 太阳出来了
Ah! The fish.
哦! 鱼!
From one of those very rivers of yours,eh Captain Hastings?
从你的河里捕上来的是吧 黑斯廷斯上校?
Isn't that a sturgeon?
那不是鲟鱼吗?
They call it a hybiarria out here.
这里的人叫它hybiarria
It's absolutely delicious.
很美味
Arabs do not understand fish.
阿♥拉♥伯人不理解鱼
That Father Lavigny is a strange cove,isn't he?
拉维涅神父是个奇怪的家伙 不是吗?
Mm. There is certainly something odd about him.
嗯 他是有些奇怪
Mais c'est curieux,hm?
但奇怪的是 嗯?
He is a philosopher,an archaeologist,world renowned,
他是个世界知名的哲学家和考古学家
and from his books,
而且从他的书中
I had the impression of a man of great enthusiasm,of eloquence,
我觉得他拥有很多激♥情♥ 很有口才
and yet he seems not to have to rub together even the two words.
但他看上去跟这两个词一点都不搭边
Hastings,perhaps tomorrow afternoon
黑斯廷斯 可能明天下午
I shall return to Baghdad with the post car.
我会坐邮局的车回巴格达
Poirot,look,I've been married a few years now,
波罗 听着 我已经结婚好几年了
and I don't mind telling you
我不介意告诉你
I've learned a thing or two about the fair sex.
我对女性还是有一些了解的
Countess Rossakoff isn't coming back,you know.
你知道露斯考夫女伯爵不会回来了
That is as may be,Hastings.
可能吧 黑斯廷斯
But it has less to do with my decision
但是这和我的决定无关
than the fact that in Baghdad,
和决定有关的是
the rooms there are lit by electricity
巴格达的房♥间有电
and the sand,it is not so prevalent as to get inside the undervest.
而且沙子也没那么容易进我的内衣
I do not know how you've borne it for two weeks.
我不知道你怎么在这里生活了两周
Well,family,you know.
呃 家庭 你知道的
I told young Bill I'd make it a decent visit.
我告诉小比尔 我会做个像样的访问
You are a man of great courage.
你是个勇敢的男人
Good night,Hastings. Good night Poirot. Sleep well.
晚安 黑斯廷斯 晚安 波罗 好眠
No!
不!
No!
不!
Nurse! Nurse!
护士! 护士!
Nurse...
护士...
I saw the face again.
我又看到那张脸了
And there's someone in the room next to mine,
有人在我隔壁的房♥间
I heard scratching on the wall!
我听到抓墙的声音了!
It's alright,don't be afraid.
没事的 不要怕
Get Eric! Yes.
去找埃里克! 好的
Get him! Yes.
把他找来! 好的
Dr Leidner,Dr Leidner!
利德勒博士 利德勒博士!
What is it?
怎么了?
I saw the face again,at the window.
我又看到那张脸了 在窗户那
And I heard him,I heard him scratching on the wall.
我听见他了 我听见他在抓墙
What's the matter?
怎么了?
Mrs Leidner saw a face at her window
利德勒夫人看到有张脸在窗户那
and someone was moving about in the antika room.
而且有人在古董间里走动
Right.
好的
Nurse.
护士
It's alright.
没事了
Just breathe deeply. That's right.
深呼吸 对了
What are you doing,Father Lavigny?
你在干吗 拉维涅神父?
I saw a light,I thought someone was in here.
我看到了光 我觉得这里有人
I'm just checking to see nothing's been touched.
我只是在检查没人碰过这里的东西
What do you think? Well,it certainly looks like wax.
你怎么看? 呃 看上去就是蜡
Right here,by the handle.
就在这 在把手上
Mm. I noticed it when I took his photograph.
嗯 我拍照的时候发现了
Could it be candle grease?
会不会是蜡烛油?
From 6,000 years ago? I don't think so.
六千年前的? 我不这么认为
Wasn't there some disturbance in here last night?
昨晚这里不是有些骚乱吗?
No candles,though. Father Lavigny had a flashlight.
不过没蜡烛 拉维涅神父用的是手电筒
What was he doing in here?
他在这干吗?
He heard a noise.
他听到声响了
How's his latest translation?
他最近的翻译工作怎么样了?
Don't be unfair to Father Lavigny,Richard.
不要对拉维涅神父有偏见 理查德
We've only found four tablets and seals as yet
我们只发现了四块碑和印♥章♥
and one of those has disappeared.
有一个不翼而飞了
I apologise,sir.
我很抱歉 先生
But everybody says he's a famous epigraphist,
但每个人都说他是个著名的碑铭研究家
I just look forward to seeing his first bit of work.
我只是很期待读到他的第一手研究
It occurs to me,Dr Leidner,
利德勒博士 我突然想到
that your work and the work that I do have much in common.
你的工作和我的工作有很多相似之处
Really?
真的吗?
All I've ever wanted to do is dig in the earth,
我想做的就是挖掘
find out the secrets that time has buried there.
寻找时光埋葬的秘密
Exactement. The digging into the past.
就是这样 挖掘过去
The sifting of mass of dross draws for the clues
去其糟粕以得到线索
and the people most important that you deal with
而且你打交道的那些大人物
are those who are dead.
都已驾鹤西去
Bet you don't have as much paperwork.
我打赌你没那么多文书工作要做
Ah.
哦
For the world,it is drowning in paper.
这个世界快被纸淹没了
People will be thinking I'm insane.
人们会觉得我疯了
Good heavens,no.
天啊 不
Noises in the night,faces at the window.
晚上的声响 窗边的脸
No,there's something going on here.
不 这里有事发生
I shouldn't be surprised
如果没人想把这个考察团吓退
if somebody weren't trying to frighten the expedition off.
那才是怪事
Do you really think so? You...
你真的这么觉得? 你...
Who's that? What's he doing?
那是谁? 他在干什么?
Captain Hastings! It's alright.
黑斯廷斯上校! 没事的
You see the state I'm in?
你看到我的状况了?
You know,I'm very ashamed.
我很羞愧
None of the men on the work can understand me.
没有一个工人听得懂我说的话
I was trying my Arabic on that man.
我在试着和那个人讲阿♥拉♥伯语
He's a townsman and I wanted to see if I got on any better,
他是个城市居民 我想知道我有没有进步
but no.
但是没有
Dr Leidner says my Arabic is too pure.
利德勒博士说我的阿♥拉♥伯语太纯正了
He can go. Next one.
他可以走了 下一个
Go. Name.
走 名字
Poor little beggar.
可怜的小乞丐
About...six years old,I'd say.
大约... 六岁吧
Sent into the next world with nothing but a little pot
只有一只小壶和一串珠链
and a couple of bead necklaces.
陪他到另一个世界去
剧集 | 大侦探波洛(1989) | 导航列表